Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

It's just a fuckin shame the moratorium of Steel also applies to Shaq's Steel, and Real Steel from a couple years ago

It doesn't. Nor does it apply to Remington Steele, who is the superhero we all deserve. For you young ones, Remington was a phony stand-in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I honestly don't see why the studio would fund it unless he has a really good contract.

I'd rather see the "300 but with George Washington on the Potomac" he's talked about

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

It doesn't. Nor does it apply to Remington Steele, who is the superhero we all deserve. For you young ones, Remington was a phony stand-in

My fanfic version of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in the 80s would be the Equalizer, Darkman, Jennifer Hart from Hart to Hart and Murdoc from MacGyver, and Remington Steele would be M, then they'd all be very surprised to learn the truth. :spergin:

I'd rather see the "300 but with George Washington on the Potomac" he's talked about

It ain't accurate, but it'll blow your fuckin' mind.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

I don't know you can convince me that a director's work is a rejection of objectivism and a celebration of collectivism when his next movie is based on a book by the creator of objectivism about how much collectivism sucks

Like "Zack Snyder's The Fountainhead" is the end of that conversation to me.

I'd start with looking at Snyders actual work, which I'd say speaks for itself.

But more to the point, adapting a book to subvert the themes of the original work is not exactly unheard of. Starship troopers did this expertly, and I'd personally argue Snyders 300 did this as well, although I will admit that the latter might be a more controversial statement.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, regardless, if he adapts it and plays it completely straight I'm sure the many discussions of it will be very funny.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, regardless, if he adapts it and plays it completely straight I'm sure the many discussions of it will be very tedious.

Fixed it for me

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

McCloud posted:

With all due respect, this is rubbish.

Superman is, if anything, a collectivist, who explicitly puts the group (Earth) over the individual (himself), in both his alter-ego's. Objectivism states that the only true moral path is rational self interest. Unless you paint objectivism with such a wide brush that "Person doing good because he considers it morally correct at cost to self" is considered objectivism, in which case you can probably consider almost every single superhero an objectivist.

If anything, I'd say you got it backwards. The objectivists in the movie are its antagonists, Lex and Bruce. They are the ones acting in the name of "rational self interest", even if Bruce considers it from the view of society as a whole. Superman acts in direct opposition to this. He acts in away that is directly detrimental to him in a selfless way to help humanity, and ultimately sacrifices himself for the greater good. You've so grossly misinterpreted and twisted his actions that your definition for objectivism can apply to any hero who risks himself to save someone else, including Spider-man that you quoted above. Supermans and Spider-mans philosophy are the very same.

if anything, this movie is a continuation from MoS in its rejection of objectivism

As has been said many times before, every instance of Superman acting in the greater good is followed by him being punished or filled with regret for doing it, while his mom tells him to act only when and if he feels like it, and his ghost dad reiterates that trying to be a hero is naive at best. The only time he acts immediately and without second guessing himself is when Lois is in danger. There is simply never a point where it is shown definitively that Superman believes, without a doubt, that it is best for him to intervene for the greater good. Your read of Superman only works if you assume he is the same or similar character as depicted in the comics and previous adaptations, which would be fair if you and others didn't brush aside criticisms of Batman's characterization by saying only the film's depiction should be considered.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I think you're misunderstanding the point of the talks Clark has with his mom and dad in BvS, but I doubt anything I say would convince you.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

I think you're misunderstanding the point of the talks Clark has with his mom and dad in BvS, but I doubt anything I say would convince you.

If there was payoff for that talk where Superman embraces being a hero despite the social obstacles, I'd be more open to other interpretations of that scene.

That's the problem with that character; his arc is barely explored, and then cut short by a death that doesn't really integrate into said arc.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

glitchwraith posted:

As has been said many times before, every instance of Superman acting in the greater good is followed by him being punished or filled with regret for doing it, while his mom tells him to act only when and if he feels like it, and his ghost dad reiterates that trying to be a hero is naive at best. The only time he acts immediately and without second guessing himself is when Lois is in danger. There is simply never a point where it is shown definitively that Superman believes, without a doubt, that it is best for him to intervene for the greater good. Your read of Superman only works if you assume he is the same or similar character as depicted in the comics and previous adaptations, which would be fair if you and others didn't brush aside criticisms of Batman's characterization by saying only the film's depiction should be considered.
At best, he saves people because he sees it as an obligation, not because he actually wants to or is ever shown to care about any of the people he saves (Lois/Martha aside) on any sort of individual, human level.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Wheat Loaf posted:

The last word on the subject:

:v:

This reminds me of Cinema Sins making a video about how BvS was going to bury Civil War. Poor guy.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

I honestly don't see why the studio would fund it unless he has a really good contract.

I'm not sure why they let him keep going on after BvS under performed, a more competent director (with a better script, to be fair) would have probably made loads more money. But for some reason directors like him and M. Night make one good/heavily meme'd film, and they get like the next decade of just straight making GBS threads the bed before someone is like "whoa, whoa, whoa, we could make more money if the films stop sucking."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SonicRulez posted:

This reminds me of Cinema Sins making a video about how BvS was going to bury Civil War. Poor guy.

That's Kelly, he's the Onion's political cartoonist

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If only everyone else could make bland, forgettable movies that make billions like Marvel.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Infinity War, a bland and forgettable movie.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If only everyone else could make boring troll posts like you

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Vintersorg posted:

If only everyone else could make bland, forgettable movies that make billions like Marvel.

*slowly turns baseball cap backwards*

These posts are WAY past cool

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Man of Steel gets poo poo on for being "SO BAD" yet is still discussed to this day about it's themes and what things meant.

Can you say the same for poo poo like Avengers 2? Captain America 2?

No. They are bland popcorn flicks meant as advertisements for the next series. Sadly WB tried copying this and hosed up 2 movies.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Out of all the examples, you tried to use Captain America 2?

Make your trolling attempts a little more believable or get the gently caress out.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
MOS gets discussed to this day because it's a very divisive film and a handful of people can't help but crawl out of the woodwork to argue anytime it gets brought up. Outside of the SA bubble no one gives a poo poo about MOS.

Winter Solider doesn't get talked about as much because it's a popular movie that people really enjoyed and brought Captain America into the mainstream.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
and in what kind of fantasy land would a government organization staffed by racial supremacists systematically target and remove undesirables from the nation?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Open Marriage Night posted:

Out of all the examples, you tried to use Captain America 2?

Make your trolling attempts a little more believable or get the gently caress out.

Why would your brain go to trolling when you encounter people who disagree with you? Is it so unbelievable?

I've said my piece though after hearing MoS is barred from discussion here.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Vintersorg posted:

Man of Steel gets poo poo on for being "SO BAD" yet is still discussed to this day about it's themes and what things meant.

Can you say the same for poo poo like Avengers 2? Captain America 2?

No. They are bland popcorn flicks meant as advertisements for the next series. Sadly WB tried copying this and hosed up 2 movies.

Man of Steel is generally regarded as okay. It has a positive RT score, did okay financially, and helped start the DCEU.

There's a certain segment of Superman comic fans that really hate it, but it's not an overwhelming opinion.

BvS is the one that is "SO BAD" to most people.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
i know bvs is a bad movie, but i still enjoy it and have watched it like five times. i just love me some dark knight returns poo poo.

now justice league, there's some real garbage.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Anora posted:

I'm not sure why they let him keep going on after BvS under performed, a more competent director (with a better script, to be fair) would have probably made loads more money.

Zack Snyder had some kind of big five movie plan and the producers weren't as heavily involved as Keven Feige is with the marvel movies. To be honest looking back it seems like they were asleep at the wheel. Ultimately the biggest problem with Batman V Superman is that it just doubles down on the things everyone didn't like in Man of Steel, namely the darker and more violent tone of second half. The big thing problem people have about Man of Steel is that it ends with Superman violently snapping Zods neck. I imagine that that didn't do very well with test audiences given how everyone else responded to that. As for Batman V Superman, the biggest problem is that it doubles down on that and other stuff that didn't do well with audiences with the last film, namely the darker more violent tone. Also judging by Zack Snyder's social media postings in recent weeks it seems more like he spent far more time dicking around and trying to fill the film with as many Easter eggs, foreshadowing of future movies, and symbolism rather than focusing on making a film with a forward moving narrative. The producers not only stayed hands off do this but also bragged about doing this too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What I heard was that he wanted to do Man of Steel 2, then Batman v Superman, but WB wanted Batman in because MoS hadn't been as successful as they wanted it to be whereas Dark Knight Rises made a billion dollars.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

The only part of this the DCEU doesn't also do is make billions.

I have seen them all so I'm an expert. Yeah even Justice League.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I never thought I'd see the day were Captain America and Thor get applause for just showing up in a movie while Batman and Superman can barely put butts in seats. What a time to be alive.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
opps

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

JT Smiley posted:

I never thought I'd see the day were Captain America and Thor get applause for just showing up in a movie while Batman and Superman can barely put butts in seats. What a time to be alive.
Black Panther made more money than JL

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Doctor Strange made more money than Justice League.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Clearly because it was so forgettable people just kept going to see it over and over again.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i like this notion that winter soldier, a movie that is extremely clear about its anti-surveillance, anti-militarization stance and both their connections to fascism, and is widely regarded as one of, if not the best marvel movie actually does not have any message to discuss nor is it popular

extremely low tier cd troll poo poo, get some new material

site fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 1, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The MCU films come out at a frequent enough pace that you find yourself discussing the newer ones more and the older ones less.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JT Smiley posted:

Maybe Batman and Superman should start a club with Han Solo. :v:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rhyno posted:

The MCU films come out at a frequent enough pace that you find yourself discussing the newer ones more and the older ones less.

That’s fine. MCU movies are good afternoon watches every once in a while.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lay off Star Lord says Chris Pratt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U7iREXFyKw

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I liked Wonder Woman

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Endless Mike posted:

I liked Wonder Woman

The first 1/3 was okay, the middle 1/3 was good, but the last 1/3 was bad.

That is my mathematically objective take on Wonder Woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Maybe Batman and Superman should start a club with Han Solo. :v:

Yeah but I liked Solo. (Technically I "liked" BvS but agree with the majority of it's criticisms)

Endless Mike posted:

I liked Wonder Woman

I don't agree with most people's criticism of Wonder Woman, I really liked it.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 31, 2018

• Locked thread