Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I maintain that Slott would only be good for Human Torch and some Ben Grimm cameos. He will utterly ruin Sue and Reed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Another great option. But really, anyone would be better than Slott.

BUT SILVER SURFER WAS REALLY GOOD
:goonsay:

Yes, yes it was :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Because of Allred.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Rhyno posted:

With every new issue of 2i1 I feel a boundless joy.

And then I remember that Slott is writing F4 and it's like a cosmic monkey is throwing it's poo poo in my face.

Don't let Slott steal your cosmic monkey idea; it sounds like a natural F4 concept.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Another great option. But really, anyone would be better than Slott.

this is how you get nick spencer on the book

ok tbf I don't actually know if his asm is any good. it's been a while since I've checked in on amazing. has he even started yet?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It starts in July, but there's a free prelude story out now.
https://www.comixology.com/Free-Comic-Book-Day-2018-Amazing-Spider-Man-Guardians-Of-The-Galaxy-1/digital-comic/679370

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Slott has definitely made it onto my list of people "I'd take a belt sander to their hands if I develop terminal cancer"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

drrockso20 posted:

Slott has definitely made it onto my list of people "I'd take a belt sander to their hands if I develop terminal cancer"

What an awful thing to say.

He could still dictate, dude! You gotta go for the tongue.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
hey this is loving weird

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

hey this is loving weird

Talking about maiming someone because we don't like his writing is weird?

No poo poo.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Superior Spider-Man was really good. Learning to Crawl was good, too. I haven't read all of his current run on ASM (because the first few issues are honestly pretty bad), but I liked SSM and the 2014 run. Personally I think the Slott hate is pretty overblown. There are a lot of worse writers out there.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think Slott has shown his rear end online enough that the vitriol isn't entirely based around his work

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Android Blues posted:

Superior Spider-Man was really good. Learning to Crawl was good, too. I haven't read all of his current run on ASM (because the first few issues are honestly pretty bad), but I liked SSM and the 2014 run. Personally I think the Slott hate is pretty overblown. There are a lot of worse writers out there.

Those other writers weren't on Spider-man for a decade though.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Yeah, a lot of Slott's flaws are more noticeable since he has been in the comic for so long and his weaknesses keep showing up. I didn't like 800 as much and I think it was a meh way to exit the book. I know Spencer sucks too, but I am willing to see what he does for a couple of arcs.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If your dying wish is to kill a comic book writer cuz his stories are mediocre to bad i think you need to lay off the comics and go outside for a while

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

site posted:

If your dying wish is to kill a comic book writer cuz his stories are mediocre to bad i think you need to lay off the comics and go outside for a while

But what if that comic book writer...was a secret Hitler?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

good day for a bris posted:

But what if that comic book writer...was a secret Hitler?

So when does Spencer start on ASM?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Esplanade posted:

Don't let Slott steal your cosmic monkey idea; it sounds like a natural F4 concept.

I'm unclear if any of the super apes have ever thrown their poop at people, though.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Because of Allred.

I guess it all depends on what you want out of a comic book. For me, good writing can carry bad art, but great art isn't gonna carry bad writing. Ergo, if Silver Surfer was genuinely good, then Slott couldn't have been that terrible on it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
silver surfer was great because of the story and the allred's art just made it better

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

silver surfer was great because of the story

I've already watched Doctor Who.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ive never seen dr who so i dont understand what that means or why that makes the story bad

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

ive never seen dr who so i dont understand what that means or why that makes the story bad

He kind of cribbed a lot of Dawn's life and whatnot from DW. The entire thing was incredibly familiar and tedious to me.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Lurdiak posted:

So when does Spencer start on ASM?

He said secret

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
American superhero comics do have a proud tradition of anywhere from subtle to blatant theft of whatever else is going on in pop culture at the time, but yeah, a self-conscious "Doctor Who" pastiche at what might be the height of the show's international popularity did seem a little too on the nose.

It wasn't bad for all that, but I'm on the team that says the Allreds carried that book across the finish line.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
glad i dont watch dr who then cuz i really enjoyed their story that final issue got me weepy

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Yes, you keep saying that, but I don't know how that's supposed to make the story bad.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Watching Dr Who makes you incapable of enjoying anything, as well as incapable of shutting up about how you watch Dr Who.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Rhyno posted:

They should have fully owned that criticism, adding Abslom Daak, Dalek Killer and Death's Head as regular cast members would have been a good move, yes?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

site posted:

When people compare that run to Dr. Who I guess what they're getting at is:
a) Silver Surfer is an alien from space who goes around having space adventures, and this time a human girl is along for the ride, just like Dr. Who.
b) the "tone"-- and here I think they mostly mean "the pencils"-- are somewhat retro and whimsical, just like, uh... Dr. Who?

Silver Surfer himself isn't a very similar character to the Doctor at all so imo the argument mostly boils down to "there can only be one story about a sad earthling getting to go on big, vaguely twee adventures" which is awful news for vast swathes of children's literature and other pop culture over the past 150 years. You go break the news to Frank L. Baum, I'll tell Windsor McCay, then we can breathe a big sigh of relief that nobody in "Goblin Market" actually wound up having fun in the end.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
You left out c), the fairly crucial giveaway "Dan Slott is on record as a huge fan of the show and wanted to write something in a similar vein/setup"

I have no axe to grind with Slott, I really liked the run, it was a (bitter)sweet tale told well with some gorgeous art but acting like there's no truth at all behind what people are suggesting is rather dishonest. It absolutely was Dan Slott scratching his Doctor Who itch, and that's fine.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm not dense, I can see the parallels to DW, I just don't see why that fact is presented as evidence that it's a bad story.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lightning Lord posted:

They should have fully owned that criticism, adding Abslom Daak, Dalek Killer and Death's Head as regular cast members would have been a good move, yes?

Adding Death’s Head to any story is always a good move.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Adding Death’s Head to any story is always a good move.

Agreed. On that note I am overjoyed that Infinity Countdown is giving us a Deaths Head/Darkhawk team-up in the coming weeks.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The Dazzler preview is uh... not the greatest.

So the writer felt that Mutants should be phobic towards Inhuman's, while I personally disagree with the concept it's the actual composition that leaves me scratching my head.

How does this mutant know these ladies are Inhuman's? They haven't used their powers, they aren't dressed any special way, and they don't look like they couldn't be Mutants.

On top of that, the comment appears to be delivered by a green-elf-orc hybrid thing, who is standing next to a yellow maybe-cat lady, with red and blue demon looking guys up front. Perhaps his comment is about how they're humanoid with no visible mutation? That doesn't work, the setting is a concert Dazzler is holding specifically to promote inclusivity, and Dazzler, like many mutants, looks perfectly human with no visible trait OF mutation.

So what's the deal? I was so confused about this the first time reading I thought the text bubbles had been swapped around.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sounds like plain old bad writing to me, OP.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
It's the red noses, they give them away as Inhumans. Or alcoholics.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I thought I'd heard that the "only 198 mutants left" thing had been reversed insofar as new mutant babies were being born, but are we in a place where there should just be adult rando green mutants of no import hanging out in crowd scenes like that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, new mutants have been popping up for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Archyduke posted:

I thought I'd heard that the "only 198 mutants left" thing had been reversed insofar as new mutant babies were being born, but are we in a place where there should just be adult rando green mutants of no import hanging out in crowd scenes like that?
I don't know if they ever nailed down a clear picture of what happened, but at the end of Avengers vs. X-Men when Hope Summers used the Phoenix Force to "re-ignite the mutant race" the implication was that not only were mutant babies being born again, but also a lot of depowered mutants were given their mutant powers back again, plus some adolescents who had never manifested mutant powers in the *coughcoughcough* years since No More Mutants suddenly gained powers. There are also all sorts of goofy asterisked mutant groups out there, the current X-Men Blue storyline involves a cabal using the "mutants were artificially created by the government" technology from the Ultimate Universe to try to turn everyone in the world into a mutant and there were scenes where some people stayed transformed into mutants after their plan was thwarted, since they were "meant" to be mutants because _______. I'm blanking but I feel like similar artificial mutant/mutate/Children of the Vault/Neo/etc. groups have been introduced in at least a dozen stories post "No More Mutants" as a workaround, but short answer: there are once again as many mutants/'mutants' as someone sees fit to cram into a crowd scene.

• Locked thread