Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Put two AC/20s and two SRM/6 and a bunch of JJ/DHS on the story Atlas and have it delete things, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
That's not nearly as fun as having a squad of king crabs naming them all Citizen Snips or the CLAMPS.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SpookyLizard posted:

That's not nearly as fun as having a squad of king crabs naming them all Citizen Snips or the CLAMPS.

But you can call it Fatlas

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

KDdidit posted:

What do people do with the Story Atlas? My main lance is an 2x AC/20 KC, a SRM/M'laser boat KC, and a LRM missile boat and I'm trying to figure out a role for the Atlas II in that. I messed around in the Mechbay with a 4 PPC build but I couldn't pull the trigger on that mess.

2x PPC, AC10, 4x ML, SRM10.

Alpha strike still eliminates just about anything, especially when you get +10 damage MLs and +4 damage SRMs. Unlike a pure brawler, it can also fight at range. I usually go with stability mod PPCs and AC10. PPCs and AC10 ate almost perfectly efficient, everything minus one PPC is almost efficient, AC10 and MLs/SRMs cols you down.

It is inspired by my favorite mech, the steiner banshee, which sadly isn't in this game.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The mission where you have to protect 3 dropships? gently caress that mission. 9 vs 4 is super fair when the 3 fuel tanks are made of cheap plastic.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

And Tyler Too! posted:

The mission where you have to protect 3 dropships? gently caress that mission. 9 vs 4 is super fair when the 3 fuel tanks are made of cheap plastic.

I think the opfor took a single shot at the tanks from a single light mech in that mission. You just have to engage

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The only mission I've had so far that was a total motherfucker is the one with the APC that drops on the barracks and you have two turns to get up a bigass hill and stop them. I couldn't stop it even when I swapped out to a light mech and sprinted. But it was optional so whatever, sorry dudes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Captain Foo posted:

I think the opfor took a single shot at the tanks from a single light mech in that mission. You just have to engage

I think it's scripted so the enemy mechs will only attack the tanks if you didn't attack them that round.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I have been. I've been multi-targeting as much as possible to draw their attention but one of the flanking lights always makes a beeline for a tank. I'm tempted to just sacrifice the first ship so I can focus on murdering as many mechs as possible.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Captain Foo posted:

Yeah, I had the same. In case And doesn't know, if you shoot the enemy mechs they will focus on fighting you for 2-3 turns rather than shooting the objectives.

The only thing that annoyed me about that mission was that when the dropships land they block LoS and apparently have no sensors to share with you, otherwise I could be lobbing LRMs over them.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Vasudus posted:

The only mission I've had so far that was a total motherfucker is the one with the APC that drops on the barracks and you have two turns to get up a bigass hill and stop them. I couldn't stop it even when I swapped out to a light mech and sprinted. But it was optional so whatever, sorry dudes.
I was able to manage that objective with a grasshopper. I sprinted it two turns, jumped over the ridge in between the hill and the base, and then had to use vigilance to act before the APC, but I did it. I'm surprised you couldn't do it with a light.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

But you can call it Fatlas

but fatlas cant give people the CLAAAAAMPS

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Don't bodyshame mechs.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
So one drawback to using the mod that changes the difficulty scaling is that I have only seen one assault mech in the wild outside of story missions. (And it was a Victor.)

Granted, I'm still mostly okay with this, since in tabletop assaults aren't really my thing, and it at least makes things feel a bit less shenanigans when random pirates aren't dropping lances of assaults all over the Periphery. High-skull missions are rare and the heaviest thing I see with any frequency is an Orion, which in turn makes the Orion itself feel more "special," which at this point in the timeline it should almost as much as actual assaults. So I like the effect that it has. But...

...but, I would really like to see even a Stalker or something so I can dick around with some builds. I mean, come on. Just one.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, without story boosts you have to both find a specific +++ difficulty planet and the harder version of some contracts. Not many of them spawn lances with + difficulty over the base, and the highest the base contracts go is 8/10 difficulty.

Even the max difficulty lance definition isn't guaranteed to be all assaults either though, it's still a bit of rng.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Zeus sucks after finally getting one, God drat.

Stalker is pretty good though. I just maxed out the medium lasers and srm6s in a cookie cutter build and it does some work. I like the Awesome 8T too, twin PPCs, SRM racks and some Mlasers makes it nice and versatile.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Vasudus posted:

I failed that objective on my first playthrough because I'd sold all my light mechs so I had nothing to swap in on a reload. Second time around I kept a Jenner expressly for that purpose and it made it up there and killed the APC no problem by sprinting from turn 1. But as you say, it's just a bonus objective, nbd

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

Don't bodyshame mechs.

I'll bodyshame whatever goddamn 'Mechs I feel like until they get rid of this stupid hardpoint system. why can the catapult only fit two sets of missiles this is loving stupid, i should be able to replace the entire mass of it with nothing but launchers and ammo.

why is the kintaro a better missile boat than a loving actual missile boat.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I think my issue was my load order (my runner was the 4th spot and spawned all the way to the right) and the fact that I forget Vigilance exists at all.

I did the rescue story mission and that goddamn thing drags on forever. My Highlander lasted until close to the end when it lost both AC/20+++s to a volley from a PPC vehicle and I ragequit.

How much longer do I have?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Vasudus posted:

I think my issue was my load order (my runner was the 4th spot and spawned all the way to the right) and the fact that I forget Vigilance exists at all.

I did the rescue story mission and that goddamn thing drags on forever. My Highlander lasted until close to the end when it lost both AC/20+++s to a volley from a PPC vehicle and I ragequit.

How much longer do I have?

Not too many more story missions after that I think. Also if I recall right, it's the 3rd mech slot that is the one that spawns closest to the mountain. That was my one restart, just laughing at the bullshit mech placements and going back to my autosave on turn 1.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I was lucky enough to double leg an Orion, and now have a shiny new upgrade for my team. I'm not quite sure how to build it though. It seems like it would make for a decent brawler, and so I've loaded it up with an AC/20, 2 x MLaser, SRM x 6, some heatsinks and extra armour. While it's very survivable, I find the overall damage lackluster.

Does anyone have examples of how they've built the Orion to be a good up close and personal bruiser?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Panzyr Defense is loving bullshit. I don't have enough time to get a mech to even reach the barracks, let alone detect that lone loving APC before it gets there. And that's with a mech sprinting. Sure they're all assault mechs, but the fact that I can't even detect the fucker in time is pissing me off.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Panzyr Defense is loving bullshit. I don't have enough time to get a mech to even reach the barracks, let alone detect that lone loving APC before it gets there. And that's with a mech sprinting. Sure they're all assault mechs, but the fact that I can't even detect the fucker in time is pissing me off.

I let the barracks die. You just miss out on extra payment, whereas if you let an APC through to the control center it's a guaranteed mission failure. It'd be different if the destruction of the barracks caused a penalty down the line, but the campaign isn't dynamic, so it doesn't.

I think the only way you'd be able to intercept that APC in time would be to kit out a Jenner or Spider with max jump jets and blitz up there before the trigger to stomp it - and all that'd do is leave you short-gunned on the ground.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah, you'll want a medium to deal with that one. Nobody will fault you for restarting/loading from a previous save, that APC is basically a gotcha for people who're going through the campaign for the first time.

It's also just an optional objective but it's the principle of the matter

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

PotatoManJack posted:

I was lucky enough to double leg an Orion, and now have a shiny new upgrade for my team. I'm not quite sure how to build it though. It seems like it would make for a decent brawler, and so I've loaded it up with an AC/20, 2 x MLaser, SRM x 6, some heatsinks and extra armour. While it's very survivable, I find the overall damage lackluster.

Does anyone have examples of how they've built the Orion to be a good up close and personal bruiser?

Which variant, the ON1-V?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PotatoManJack posted:

The "K" variant just isn't that good. You've pretty much just got enough space for a single AC-20, two SRM-4s, 3-4 MLs, and the rest armor and heatsinks. The "V" variant is much, much better, simply because it can be a very respectable LRM boat as well as a coring machine with twin ballistics mounts and triple missile hardpoints, the latter of which no other heavy has.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah I did that mission with three assaults sitting their asses on the entrances while a shadowhawk zoomed all the way up the hill with no time to spare. If I missed the only shot I had, the apc would have survived to warcrimes the tent.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I think dropping the base chance to hit and bringing back range brackets would be interesting

Also I am working on modding the lances so that they have more variety e.g., a heavy lance isn't always all heavy mechs

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The "K" variant just isn't that good. You've pretty much just got enough space for a single AC-20, two SRM-4s, 3-4 MLs, and the rest armor and heatsinks. The "V" variant is much, much better, simply because it can be a very respectable LRM boat as well as a coring machine with twin ballistics mounts and triple missile hardpoints, the latter of which no other heavy has.

This is wrong on every single point.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Conspiratiorist posted:

This is wrong on every single point.

Hey, the "K" was a great LRM platform for me until I started getting my hands on assault mechs. Just because it ~offends the honor of your lance rules~ or something doesn't mean it's wrong. It might not be the most efficient build, but it worked for me, and I prefer weapons that commute stability damage. That ain't lasers, and PPCs as they stand now are a lovely value.

The "K" has the most well-rounded hardpoints.

And you're throwing shade my way when you posted this? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821533&pagenumber=354&perpage=40#post484274013

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 1, 2018

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I failed that secondary barracks mission the first time, but reloaded and just sprinted an ML firestarter up there and it went fine.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I ran it with a Wolverine doing a mad dash to the secondary objective, two Orions covering the base and stomping APCs, and a Catapult being useless/sort of knocking things down.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Hey, the "K" was a great LRM platform for me until I started getting my hands on assault mechs. Just because it ~offends the honor of your lance rules~ or something doesn't mean it's wrong. It might not be the most efficient build, but it worked for me, and I prefer weapons that commute stability damage. That ain't lasers, and PPCs as they stand now are a lovely value.

The "K" has the most well-rounded hardpoints.

And you're throwing shade my way when you posted this? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821533&pagenumber=354&perpage=40#post484274013

1. The "K" variant just isn't that good.

Both have comparable brawling setups as they possess a ballistic hardpoint along with a mix of lasers and missiles; 2 E hardpoints are roughly equivalent to an M hardpoint as an SRM6 is 48 damage vs 2x25 from MLas, both with comparable efficiencies. Stability damage is of course good, but the ON1-K platform is already getting plenty of it from its 2 missile and ballistic hardpoints, so there's no huge performance difference.

I'd call the TDR-5SE the best Heavy pure brawler due to its hardpoint mix, but the Orions aren't far behind, simply trading raw damage efficiency and smalls for the ability to armor up.

2. You've pretty much just got enough space for a single AC-20, two SRM-4s, 3-4 MLs, and the rest armor and heatsinks.

You can run an AC/5 set up to be tankier, or sacrifice armor or efficiency to mount an AC/20. Either way, as mentioned above, the setups are comparable.

3. The "V" variant is much, much better, simply because it can be a very respectable LRM boat as well as a coring machine with twin ballistics mounts

Twin ballistic mounts are actually an useless thing to have on a brawler, or on anything short of a 100tonner that's not gonna be a dedicated sniper - which is in itself a questionable build.

4. and triple missile hardpoints, the latter of which no other heavy has.

The JM6-A has 4 missile hardpoints.

About the only thing you got right is that the ON1-V makes a good LRM boat, but it was completely ignoring the request for advice.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Xarbala posted:

Yeah, you'll want a medium to deal with that one. Nobody will fault you for restarting/loading from a previous save, that APC is basically a gotcha for people who're going through the campaign for the first time.

It's also just an optional objective but it's the principle of the matter

My lightest mech is a Stalker.

I guess I'll go find some more salvage or something.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
So from reading the advice (and opinions), it looks like I'm on the relatively right track regarding my use of the Orion-K as a brawler. I think I made one mistake in throwing a couple of Jump Jets on it, and I'll pull them off for additional Heat Sinks / Armor

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

PotatoManJack posted:

So from reading the advice (and opinions), it looks like I'm on the relatively right track regarding my use of the Orion-K as a brawler. I think I made one mistake in throwing a couple of Jump Jets on it, and I'll pull them off for additional Heat Sinks / Armor
For what it's worth, max jets on my own Brawler Orion K are what let me get away with maximum hubris maneuvers like leaping towards heavy tank convoys to shoot a Demolisher to death, and then matrix dodge 90% of an SRM carrier salvo (Though I did tend to put an Evasive maneuvers pilot in it).

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

PotatoManJack posted:

Yeah. Doing away with the jjs, fitting 4 mlas, 2 srm6 or srm4+6, and an AC5 ought to do it for a brawler setup for ~225 alpha at respectable (~20) net heat. You can downgrade the missiles to SRM4 both and try to fit in an AC/20 for more punch, but it'll require either dropping armor or running much hotter. The AC/10 is noticeably less efficient than either the 5 or 10 so I won't recommend using it for brawling, but it's not terrible either.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think the only way you'd be able to intercept that APC in time would be to kit out a Jenner or Spider with max jump jets and blitz up there before the trigger to stomp it - and all that'd do is leave you short-gunned on the ground.

You don't need jets. You can sprint a jenner for two turns, then on turn 3 normal move up the hill between the barracks and the road the APC is on, and shoot the APC in the rear. You could also stomp it, but when I tried that I stomped on the turret, which has way more armour than the rest of the APC, and is the only section that can survive a stomp. So the next time around I just precision striked the rear section with 4 MLs.

On the topic of that mission, I posted earlier than you can block the other APCs from entering the base by parking mechs in the gates. I got that from Google and it turns out to be wrong. Despite parking on the only spot in the gate closest to the barracks, I had an APC drive right on past me and I got a mission fail.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 1, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, the gate is two tiles wide. The AI acts weird around them and most often just stops in the gate as if you were blocking it though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Wafflecopper posted:

You don't need jets

while true, I used an SRM Wolverine as my jumper and I had two turns to kill the APC (only needed one) and I started late, since I didn't know exactly where to go, only that I had to go somewhere.

so, I'd agree - they aren't required, but a jumpy medium will give you room for error.