Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Wheat Loaf posted:

What I heard was that he wanted to do Man of Steel 2, then Batman v Superman, but WB wanted Batman in because MoS hadn't been as successful as they wanted it to be whereas Dark Knight Rises made a billion dollars.

One of the thing Snyder came out on social media about was that his plan was to got MoS -> BvS -> JLpt1 -> JLpt2 -> unknown fifth movie. Given the amount of details he's shared over the past two months or so I'd say that Batman V Superman coming after Man of Steel was always his plan. You don't put that amount of tlc on a studio mandated project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think the major misstep was the decision to rush into their team up film as the second outing in their new universe. A Batman film, a Superman sequel, WW and then JL would have been a far better plan but everyone saw those Avengers box office numbers and thought they could do that right away.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I don't agree with most people's criticism of Wonder Woman, I really liked it.

I thought it was good up until the Ares fight. That just seemed like every other superhero fight.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Vintersorg posted:

Man of Steel gets poo poo on for being "SO BAD" yet is still discussed to this day about it's themes and what things meant.

And the discussion is a 3/1 split of people saying it's poo poo to people trying to defend it. What's better, people spending a few months talking about how much they liked something and then only bringing it up when it's relevant, or people constantly making GBS threads on a movie and it's defenders trying to assign worth to it anyway?

And more importantly, why?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Works being discussed don't really mean they are good, yeah, it just means you have some combative people who like it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

David D. Davidson posted:

One of the thing Snyder came out on social media about was that his plan was to got MoS -> BvS -> JLpt1 -> JLpt2 -> unknown fifth movie. Given the amount of details he's shared over the past two months or so I'd say that Batman V Superman coming after Man of Steel was always his plan. You don't put that amount of tlc on a studio mandated project.

Maybe it was by the time MoS released, but it certainly wasn’t always the plan. MoS wasn’t intended to be part of a broader shared universe at all, and Snyder said as much a couple months before it started filming.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

site posted:

i like this notion that winter soldier, and movie that is extremely clear about its anti-surveillance, anti-militarization stance and both their connections to fascism, and is widely regarded as one of, if not the best marvel movie actually does not have any message to discuss nor is it popular

extremely low tier cd troll poo poo, get some new material
Well you see its toothless because the bad guys turn out to be Super Secret Nazi's instead of just normal Americans and also I'm really mad because mean ol Kevin Feige said the movie was influenced by 70s political thrillers and I can tell you that actually it wasn't!!!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Black Panther made more money than JL
In its opening weekend

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The first 1/3 was okay, the middle 1/3 was good, but the last 1/3 was bad.

That is my mathematically objective take on Wonder Woman.

The weak part isn't a whole third.

Rhyno posted:

I think the major misstep was the decision to rush into their team up film as the second outing in their new universe. A Batman film, a Superman sequel, WW and then JL would have been a far better plan but everyone saw those Avengers box office numbers and thought they could do that right away.

Eh, WB failing to do it has nothing to do with how many lead up movies they did.

Especially when your movie only has 1 character (Cyborg) the general public doesn't already know all about.

They've done introducing the entire Justice League in a 90 minute movie about 4 times, usually with 2 extra characters even. And they were all better than Justice League.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I thought BvS and Justice League were ok. It's just that I have no desire to ever watch them again in any capacity. Granted, I also don't have any desire to watch Wonder Woman again. To be honest, the most positive I came out of a DCEU movie was Suicide Squad. It was so bad and I liked it so much.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

That's Kelly, he's the Onion's political cartoonist

I'm familiar. Though admittedly it's because of the edits for Final Fantasy XIV.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Especially when your movie only has 1 character (Cyborg) the general public doesn't already know all about.

I disagree, there's an entire generation that watched Teen Titans, he might be as well known as Flash and Aquaman.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I disagree, there's an entire generation that watched Teen Titans, he might be as well known as Flash and Aquaman.

Yeah but I figure the audience for this stuff is closer to 40.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but I figure the audience for this stuff is closer to 40.

I have no idea but I saw a ton of chatter about Cyborg saying "booyah" in the film.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Y'know what I think? They shouldn't have rebooted after Green Lantern.

...look, hear me out. I know that film wasn't super great and wasn't leading anywhere particularly great. But part of the problem of the current DCEU is that it didn't have the pieces set up that well, because they keep having to start from scratch even after setting things up already. And one thing the GL film did do was set up this world and this character. The work is already done. Just recast the guy if you have to, or bring in John Stewart and say that he took over for Hal, or whatever, but don't just throw out the work that you already did 'cuz buddy, it's not like you got that much you can spare!

I understand that WB probably omitted the GL character for Justice League because they didn't want to associate their masterpiece crossover with that film that no one likes. But isn't it kind of dumb that the one C-list team member that they already had a film for is also the one that they wouldn't put on the roster?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well as of Deadpool 2, Green Lantern never happened.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Ryan Reynolds would’ve been a better Guy Gardner and Deadpool just proves it :colbert:

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I remember thinking that when they cast him.

But I also thought Chris Evans was going to be wasted on serious Captain America and I was wrong about that.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I remember thinking that when they cast him.

But I also thought Chris Evans was going to be wasted on serious Captain America and I was wrong about that.

Not gonna lie, sometimes I watch Captain's Orders when I'm feeling down. I love that scene so much.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

zoux posted:

Lay off Star Lord says Chris Pratt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U7iREXFyKw

Star-Lord sucks and Chris Pratt sucks

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nasty foul thoughts from an anus.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Which movies, from any studio, do you think have the most creative or impressive use of powers? One thing that I think the First Class movies do very well is powers. The dystopia-future stuff in DoFP are as good as I've seen, I think.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
'Wanted' and 'Twilight'.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

The steel ban is cause everyone was losing their fuckin poo poo, people seem to be being call and respectful about this in their disagreements

It's just a fuckin shame the moratorium of Steel also applies to Shaq's Steel, and Real Steel from a couple years ago

Underrated imo. A ton of kids are gonna be citing that as their Goonies in a few years I think.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The moratorium of steel also applies to China, Canada and Mexico now.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

zoux posted:

Lay off Star Lord says Chris Pratt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U7iREXFyKw

I agree with Chris Pratt. I though sacrificing a bunch of Wakanda lives to keep Vision alive was a much more egregious thing. I’ll defend the Star Lord part all day

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The only casting I haven't enjoyed for a Marvel movie is Norton as Banner. Luckily we have Ruffalo now.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

zoux posted:

Which movies, from any studio, do you think have the most creative or impressive use of powers? One thing that I think the First Class movies do very well is powers. The dystopia-future stuff in DoFP are as good as I've seen, I think.

At least out of the MCU I think this was a high point of the Avengers. Stuff like Thor charging up Iron Man's suit and all the team up attacks in the final battle was very cool. You get some of that in Infinity War also with the battle on Titan.

Mostly super powers aren't weird enough though.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Star Lord owns and Chris Pratt owns

Characters who do not always make perfect decisions are the most interesting to watch

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Aphrodite posted:

The moratorium of steel also applies to China, Canada and Mexico now.

But not Korea because Trump is a marvel fanboy and he knows lots of Marvel scenes are in Korea

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Mulva posted:

And the discussion is a 3/1 split of people saying it's poo poo to people trying to defend it. What's better, people spending a few months talking about how much they liked something and then only bringing it up when it's relevant, or people constantly making GBS threads on a movie and it's defenders trying to assign worth to it anyway?

And more importantly, why?

If people would just say "I liked BvS", either in a "because this thing was cool" or "despite it's flaws" way, it wouldn't be an issue. The problem arises when people try to argue that the really blatant flaws actually don't exist, and that the critics just don't understand what makes the movie work, and then ignore any and all demonstrations that show, "No, we got the intent and symbolism, it just didn't work and here is why." Like, I argue about this movie a lot, likely too much, but I'm never doing it to try to convince someone that their wrong for liking the movie, or to claim they HAVE to like the Marvel films more. I just get tired of reading really flawed arguments in it's favor, while decent arguments against it are dismissed as a matter of course. Like what you want, but if your going to keep going to bat for a largely unpopular film, you need a better argument than "you just don't understand."

I mean, look at the reverse. It's not uncommon for someone who doesn't like the Marvel films to point out how often they use similar narrative formulas. These discussions usually don't last long because, well, even the fans recognize that as a legitimate point, at least for the origin films, so it's not worth arguing against. It's only when really out there and unsubstantiated claims are made, like Winter Soldier somehow being forgettable, that any kind of pushback occurs, and even then it's only a handful of posts making fun of the opinion.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Winter Soldier is pretty forgettable. It doesn't really have any super impressive or interesting aesthetic considerations and it's entire thesis ultimately is 'freedom is difficult to maintain and Obama sucks' and most people know both of these things already.

Fangz posted:

Stuff like Thor charging up Iron Man's suit and all the team up attacks in the final battle

This is lame and there are two, if you stretch your definition of a team-up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

zoux posted:

There's something greater than the sum of its parts about the fight Hulk has against the sound cannons in Incredible Hulk when they're on the university grounds (UofT!). I know most fans prefer the brief bout he has with Blonsky as part of the same scene but it's the sound cannon part that does it for me. I guess this would classify as "impressive use" of powers for Hulk being able to withstand it and then destroy the trucks, including an off-the-turnbuckle-style elbow drop.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Winter Soldier is pretty forgettable. It doesn't really have any super impressive or interesting aesthetic considerations and it's entire thesis ultimately is 'freedom is difficult to maintain and Obama sucks' and most people know both of these things already.

Case in point. I'd LOVE to go further into this, but I think site had a nice, concise response to your criticisms.

site posted:

i like this notion that winter soldier, a movie that is extremely clear about its anti-surveillance, anti-militarization stance and both their connections to fascism, and is widely regarded as one of, if not the best marvel movie actually does not have any message to discuss nor is it popular

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I am somehow less than shocked by this development.

https://twitter.com/ercboxoffice/status/1002574881332981760?s=21

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wasn't that delay announced a while ago?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dan Didio posted:

This is lame and there are two, if you stretch your definition of a team-up.

TWS has some of the best MCU Cap moments that we will ever see. And the "this isn't freedom, this is fear"speech. It's far from forgettable

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It could be some recency bias, but Domino in Deadpool 2 is definitely one of the most impressive on film. Quicksilver was great in all of his Fox Marvel appearances. Creative is a bit tougher, I feel like most powers translate to film how I would expect them to. Except maybe Wanda since her powers have always confused me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Every Avengers movie has at least one good power combo, but everyone ganging up on Thanos while Strange portals them around and makes things for them to jump off of was a standout.

Pretty much anything with Strange in that movie, really.

E:Ant Man, too. The tank keychain not being a keychain was brilliant. Obvious, but it was a fantastic idea.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Every Avengers movie has at least one good power combo, but everyone ganging up on Thanos while Strange portals them around and makes things for them to jump off of was a standout.

Pretty much anything with Strange in that movie, really.

Yeah as much as AoU sucks, the moment where Tony, Thor and Vision all simultaneously blast Ultron rules hard.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought Iron Man's use of his powers when he went balls out for a single drop of blood against Thanos was extremely impressive. Just pulling out every single trick the suit could do, all the tech, it was really cool looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Ugly In The Morning posted:

everyone ganging up on Thanos while Strange portals them around and makes things for them to jump off of was a standout.

Pete yelling "magic" each time he went through a portal was a delight.

• Locked thread