Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

goatface posted:

They kept the branding. I assume that's either excess stock or just more production from the same factory line.
Well, it's either that, or they just don't give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

EL BROMANCE posted:

Finally my storage concerns are answered, and at a bargainous price to boot.

this seems to good to be true but then again i havent really kept up on the price of physical memory

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

All storage products are fake.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

strangehamster posted:

Unironically.

Don't buy storage from ali, full stop.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

strangehamster posted:

Also batteries

"10000mAh" 18650 cells are all over Ali

Occasionally you see someone who buys one and measures it, often they are less than 1000 (current state of the art is about 4000mAh)

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

If you click through, that is an external hard drive case. It's up to you to find a 30 TB drive to put in there. Good luck.

And I've been burned by the storage scam. Live and learn.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There are so many great things to get from AliExpress, get those things, and not anything electrical and sensitive/important

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Pick posted:

There are so many great things to get from AliExpress, get those things, and not anything electrical and sensitive/important

This is my general rule of thumb, other than the chinese market Fluke multimeter that is way cheaper than buying one over here you should steer clear of anything electric.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I buy a ton of cheap electronic components like microcontroller boards and sensors from AliExpress and by and large they are fine. The soldering is sometimes a little dodgy but they nearly all work exactly as intended. No problems.

I've watched enough BigClive to know to not buy anything that plugs into the wall or anything that could kill you if it failed in use.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

JointHorse posted:

Receiving weather satellite images is possible, but you're not getting anything close what you might have seen in a TV. Here's a random imgur example from the latest NOAA satellite 19: (Left side is visible light, right is IR)

And you're not really connecting to anything, just listening to the signal they're sending out, so no way to choose what you're receiving.

Neat! I went ahead and ordered the same kit from eBay.

What do you plan to use the arduino for ?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

norp posted:

Also batteries

"10000mAh" 18650 cells are all over Ali

Occasionally you see someone who buys one and measures it, often they are less than 1000 (current state of the art is about 4000mAh)
I did buy a pair of 14430 batteries for my hair trimmer from ebay and they actually measured slightly above the rated capacity (650 over 600mAh or so). The Roomba battery from banggood seems to be as good if not better than stock, though I haven't measured it yet. Definitely a bit of a gamble though but not buying ridiculously overrated stuff seems to help.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 29, 2018

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

mobby_6kl posted:

I did buy a pair of 14430 batteries for my hair trimmer from ebay and they actually measured slightly above the rated capacity (650 over 600mAh or so). The Roomba battery from banggood seems to be as good if not better than stock, though I haven't measured it yet. Definitely a bit of a gamble though but not buying ridiculously overrated stuff seems to help.

also not buying from sellers that deal in obviously mislabeled goods is a good idea.
I've seen forget sellers selling both 10000mAh and 300mAh 18650 cells, while the low one is mislabeled I wouldnt expect a 3500mAh battery from them to meet the advertised charge

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I've seen some "honest" memory card listing that say what the real capacity of the card is, meaning they're not trying to scam you but they're trying to help you scam other people when you resell it without being as honest.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

mobby_6kl posted:

My fake Transcend flashdrive has a write speed considerably faster than the genuine one does.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

spog posted:

My fake Transcend flashdrive has a write speed considerably faster than the genuine one does.

Probably because there is no wear levelling, or check summing going on.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Blitter posted:

Probably because there is no wear levelling, or check summing going on.

Sounds boring. Be a hero use RAID zero.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
To make that joke period-correct, I would have used "an hero" instead.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hey guys, a goon from the Lego thread pointed me in this direction because I'm a new AliExpress customer and I can't place an order: I basically get a loop of me having to "verify" my account due to suspicious activity and I've repeated the process several times now. Has anyone gotten around this?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Are you using a VPN. Don't use a VPN.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Are you using a VPN. Don't use a VPN.

Nope.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
If you're using adblockers or script blockers - have a look through those and make sure you're allowing things like alipay and mmstat. I find that without those enabled aliexpress tends to go wonky.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I ordered a pair of those knockoff Ray-bans somebody recommended a bit ago (through Ali, not that rando dude you have to whatsapp) and they must have changed or something because these are garbage and not even close.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Hey guys, a goon from the Lego thread pointed me in this direction because I'm a new AliExpress customer and I can't place an order: I basically get a loop of me having to "verify" my account due to suspicious activity and I've repeated the process several times now. Has anyone gotten around this?

Just try a different seller. The same product is usually available from at least 10 different stores and some of them are pissier about verification than others. You might pay an extra dollar or two but who gives a poo poo you're saving a ton already.

One a while back wanted me to send a copy of my driver's license for a 4 dollar pencil case. Noooooooooope

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
I don't know if these were posted here before, but I had a tab open for a few weeks or so. Just ordered these pop-up cards.

Also this one.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

They were

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

BLAM BLAM Happy birthday, fucker.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
What are some good pens for drawing and doing gay art stuff?

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
I finally learned my lesson and am not buying any more clothing. Bought 2 shirts and a skirt for $47. All 3 items had beautiful prints on the fabric but completely bizarre, unflattering cuts. I tried take one in with needle and thread as someone suggested, but I have zero sewing skills and just ruined it. I could get nicer used clothing from reputable brands on eBay for the same price. I'm going to stick to writing and crafts supplies and silicone kitchen tools.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

No results to "gay pens"
Some results for "fancy pens":

E: plenty of cock shaped pens if you care to search for them.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I don't want gay pens, I want pens to do gay stuff with.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Only use pens for gay artwork, never for gay sex.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

I want pens to do gay stuff with.

So any pen really

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Snowy posted:

So any pen really

No. Only pens with a flared base.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

What are some good pens for drawing and doing gay art stuff?

I use dip pens for comics, specifically I buy japanese manga nibs off Ebay. Tachikawa is a good brand, if you're new and starting out, there's a starter kit by Deleter with a pen + Maru, G-Pen, and Saji nibs.

You can also buy them off AX, but usually they're cheaper on Ebay.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mike12345 posted:

I use dip pens for comics, specifically I buy japanese manga nibs off Ebay. Tachikawa is a good brand, if you're new and starting out, there's a starter kit by Deleter with a pen + Maru, G-Pen, and Saji nibs.

You can also buy them off AX, but usually they're cheaper on Ebay.

Yes! This is the kind of gay poo poo I want to do, thank you!!

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
What kind of ink do I need for a nib?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

just look for "drawing ink" on ebay/amazon/wherever. can't really recommend a brand, still testing a couple. usually the pricier ones have a nicer flow. there are japanese ones as well, but not sure they're worth it. go with mid-range.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mike12345 posted:

just look for "drawing ink" on ebay/amazon/wherever. can't really recommend a brand, still testing a couple. usually the pricier ones have a nicer flow. there are japanese ones as well, but not sure they're worth it. go with mid-range.

Thanks my nibba.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I wonder if someone actually got harmfully radioactive goods from China.
E:

You can kind of tell when things are contaminated with something. I've thrown away a handbag and a couple of novelty gifts because they absolutely stank of chemicals. One of them was a toy egg thing that felt kind of damp. Also, a necklace that made my chest feel kind of buzzy.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Squish posted:

If you're using adblockers or script blockers - have a look through those and make sure you're allowing things like alipay and mmstat. I find that without those enabled aliexpress tends to go wonky.

Holy poo poo, that worked! Thanks! Now time for some bootleg Lego minifigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

On my Ali homepage

:hai: