Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

please be Surgical Summer Vol. 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

pleaaaaaaaaaaase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGchOptfU-Q
This is dope, could basically be a music video

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
After a couple more listens, ye is growing on me a bit. It definitely helps listening to the actual album and not a stream. Black Thought & 9th Wonder is sick, just relentless bars over great production.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the new kanye is even better than daytona and i loving loved daytona

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Angryhead posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGchOptfU-Q
This is dope, could basically be a music video
Yeah, I watched this earlier and it loving owns. Hope we get to hear that new Clipse track!

HorseRenoir posted:

Apparently the final version of the album is literally just a soundboard recording of the album being played at the listening party so you might be right on this one
Is that why this sounds compressed to hell? Why the gently caress would he do that lol

Is that another part of it being rushed as gently caress?

I'm listening to it for the second time now (on Spotify and not a YouTube rip of the listening party stream). Why the gently caress would he open an album with "I Thought About Killing You"? That's such a garbage album opener. Should've opened it with Yikes and scrapped that first track entirely.

He was gonna name an album Turbo Grafx 16, so I know he's a video game nerd. I hope this line is referencing Smash TV but I don't know if it is or not.

quote:

Smash, she gon' end up on TV, huh?

lmao at this line:

quote:

You want me working on my messaging
When I'm thinkin' like George Jetson but sounding like George Jefferson

Ghost Town feels like a throwaway ripoff of Otis, which bums me out because it reminds me how good Watch The Throne was and how lame this one is by comparison.

Also 070 Shake kinda sucks on this album.

It definitely still feels unfinished. Is he gonna keep updating it until he feels it's finished like he did with TLOP? Even if he polishes it up some more, it's still easily his weakest album. There's potential here but it feels like it needs to be fleshed out a lot more. As it is now, it's kind of a mess. At least it's a fairly short mess.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
ALl this Lord Willin’ and no loving FamLay freestyle mentioned?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a2rIFBHvYAU

Yeah, it ain’t Clipse but they chose to put it on the album.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I really like “I thought about killing you”. The beat switch during the second half of the track is maybe my favorite part of the album and he rides it very well, but beyond that it also introduces the album as sort of a tour through his pysch that starts with a spoken word hook about his violent and narcissistic thoughts. Like I don’t think the lyrical content there is really “weak” in any way, it’s stark and honest it’s just that a lot of people probably don’t want to hear notes from Kanye’s therapy as a hook. For me, it works. The album starts out dark and narcissistic before it ends on a high note of love and appreciation (specifically for his daughter and wife).

I’m kind of a Kanye stan so take it with a grain of salt, but I’m loving this album the more I listen to it

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HorseRenoir posted:

Everything about this new Kanye album feels like one of those bedroom indie singer-songwriter releases where the artist just recorded some poo poo for their close friends and family and threw it on bandcamp with a silly lowercase album title and a cover art taken from their iPhone camera roll

It's his first real creative miss imo but i'm not going to fault him for valuing his own mental health and the happiness of his wife and children over releasing a classic album every 2 years. I think this process of working overtime to create an album over 2 weeks while making a public spectacle of it is taking a serious toll on his mental health and creative output and I really wish he would just quietly work on an album on his own time and just announce the record when it's in a finished (or near-finished) state instead of constantly putting himself through the wringer like this.

I wouldn't call him washed because Daytona clearly proves that he is still capable of making incredible music, but I think this album shows the limits of Kanye's creative process, especially when he is intentionally putting unnecessary constraints on the album's production. Every iconic artist has their low periods, I guess. It is what it is

ya this and whoever said Speedin Bullet 2 Wyoming are pretty spot on how i feel. i'm enjoying it but for some different reasons than i usually enjoy a kanye album. i always found dunking on kanye's cringey bars sorta basic since his whole game was built off making cornyness cool imo. kid cudi's voice sounds awful in the mix on Ghost Town tho and otherwise that might actually be my fav track despite the hate.

Daytona's still better but a lot of following kanye is really the same as following a reality tv show. and this tour of his psych was kind of a needed entry in this chapter of kanye reality antics

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You all must admit to yourselves that it is bad

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You all must admit to yourselves that it is bad

it’s good

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

bad for kanye, sure, but not full bad

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
Kanye hopping on the emo rap bandwagon. :sad:

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

HorseRenoir posted:

Everything about this new Kanye album feels like one of those bedroom indie singer-songwriter releases where the artist just recorded some poo poo for their close friends and family and threw it on bandcamp with a silly lowercase album title and a cover art taken from their iPhone camera roll

It's his first real creative miss imo but i'm not going to fault him for valuing his own mental health and the happiness of his wife and children over releasing a classic album every 2 years. I think this process of working overtime to create an album over 2 weeks while making a public spectacle of it is taking a serious toll on his mental health and creative output and I really wish he would just quietly work on an album on his own time and just announce the record when it's in a finished (or near-finished) state instead of constantly putting himself through the wringer like this.

I wouldn't call him washed because Daytona clearly proves that he is still capable of making incredible music, but I think this album shows the limits of Kanye's creative process, especially when he is intentionally putting unnecessary constraints on the album's production. Every iconic artist has their low periods, I guess. It is what it is

Maybe the only good take/certainly the best take I've read on this album. Yughhhhhggggckkkkk.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Telephones posted:

did you ..... just wake up from a coma that started in like august 2008 lmao

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
ye is worse than his usual standard i think but he’s still never made a bad album and this isn’t a bad album, the beats alone

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Telephones posted:

mac lethal doesn't rap anymore I thought?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Princeps32 posted:

ye is worse than his usual standard i think but he’s still never made a bad album and this isn’t a bad album, the beats alone
The beats alone what?

None of the beats on this album are as memorable as any from TLOP or Yeezus to me.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
just listened to what i think was a kanye west album though i can't be 100% i'd call that an album. it's definitely not 'finished'. there's no way he iterates on pablo a few thousand times and just leaves this thing as it is. lol though.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Bro im sorry but yeezus was trash except for bound 2. It feels like the old kanye is back man finally, the music was so beautiful i shed tears. It was a spiritual experience jut going through the record

And god bless charlie wilson

smoke sumthin bitch fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 2, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

Bro im sorry but yeezus was trash except for bound 2. It feels like the old kanye is back man finally, the music was so beautiful i shed tears. It was a spiritual experience jut going through the record

Okay monkeu

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I mentioned I really liked the new Black Thought EP today and that I listened to that before the new Ye and the woke white guy I work with said "oh you're into that hipster underground rap instead of mainstream stuff?"

jesus christ

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

it's actually problematic to not like lil pump

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Jonathan Fisk posted:

it's actually problematic to not like lil pump

who doesn't like lil pump???????

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Y'all don't have to force yourselves to like every Kanye album. It's ok for some to be better than others and for quality to drop as time goes on

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The beats alone what?

None of the beats on this album are as memorable as any from TLOP or Yeezus to me.

no they're good and only slightly below the level of those two albums. there was some pretty bland stuff on TLOP.

the lyrics are bad and a bit emo for my taste and the songs could have used more work, see the quote from the guy that says it feels like a bedroom release etc

idk what to say otherwise it's subjective? there's some good poo poo on here even though it's probably his worst

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

blood on the leaves? black skinhead? there was some great stuff on that album.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

RBX posted:

Y'all don't have to force yourselves to like every Kanye album. It's ok for some to be better than others and for quality to drop as time goes on

I like the music, because it sounds good 2 my ears.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you know you know is such a good intro track

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

bef posted:

If you know you know is such a good intro track
If You Know You Know >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I Thought About Killing You

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

RBX posted:

is there more than one guy itt saying 'the new kanye is pretty good, i like it' that i can't see?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Marching Powder posted:

is there more than one guy itt saying 'the new kanye is pretty good, i like it' that i can't see?

the internet nerd version of rap beef is broadcasting that you've blocked people lol

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Good Will Hrunting posted:

the internet nerd version of rap beef is broadcasting that you've blocked people lol

hahahah yeah it’s legit the equivalent of releasing a lame rear end gossip track instead of a diss track yuuuuuuuuugghhck

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

how's that new avatar fuckboy

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Ultramega posted:

Lmao that owns

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
ye: if people enjoy it, fine. im officially done with kanye. i can't take his ignorance and mediocre music. he needs to pick a struggle.

a word to minimalism; just because someone is lazy and loving around doesn't make it good. minimal music still has to be quality. ye knows how to minimal music but its not good unless he has a collaborator.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Ultramega posted:

Surprised it's not the blackface

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Good Will Hrunting posted:

that wasn't me saying i block people you retard lol

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Harminoff posted:

Surprised it's not the blackface

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
the transition from Yikes to All Mine is fire. cant wait for the updates when he adds all new verses and features

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Final Fantasy: The Spiritual Awakening

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/1002752118032293888

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
idk I think this album is great but I can absolutely see where people would not like it