Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
And now you know the rest of the story. Good day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Arcsquad12 posted:

Isn't moon Gundam supposed to address this, or at least what amuro was up to in the aftermath?

Moon Gundam is set around the time of Unicorn.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If they're gonna keep doing Gundam shows, I want one about a Mobile Armor pilot.

Every episode, the bad guys will attempt to defeat or disable the MA using increasingly ingenious methods, but our hero always manages to win the day by virtue of having giant crushing claws and lots of beam cannons.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Guy Goodbody posted:

If they're gonna keep doing Gundam shows, I want one about a Mobile Armor pilot.

Every episode, the bad guys will attempt to defeat or disable the MA using increasingly ingenious methods, but our hero always manages to win the day by virtue of having giant crushing claws and lots of beam cannons.

Kou's Kounterattack.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Guy Goodbody posted:

If I wanted to watch a series where the protagonist wins against everything by virtue of having lots of beam cannons, I'd just watch any of Kira's fights post-Freedom.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

That sounds like a description of Mazinger Z TBH.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

ImpAtom posted:

That sounds like a description of Mazinger Z TBH.

I mean, if you buy into the Real Robot/Super Robot divide, then the difference between a Super and a Mobile Armor is academic at best.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
We need big claws. Giant space crabs. Big Zams. No humanoid shapes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I want to see a Gundam show without mobiru soots that focuses on civilians going about their normal lives and watching the latest war on TV until a shell casing the size of a truck falls through their ceiling.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I want to see a Gundam show without mobiru soots that focuses on civilians going about their normal lives and watching the latest war on TV until a shell casing the size of a truck falls through their ceiling.

You get a bit of that in Turn A and 0080.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Arcsquad12 posted:

What, and you'll just stop there instead of showing their death and agony over the course of five episodes in real time? Way to whitewash war.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Shinjobi posted:

Amuro was driving motorcycles, and doing drugs, and bedding tons of women (And men!) cause he was super badass during ZZ, y'all should have seen it. Just....too cool.

Amuro is Bi and in a better timeline would have nailed both Char and Sayla

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

chiasaur11 posted:

You get a bit of that in Turn A and 0080.

And some in the opening of F91

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Playing off of this, do something that Marvel Comics has done: have a series that is the Gundam version of Damage Control, the people who have to clean up after mobile suit battles. Whether it be random civilians or members of the protagonist forces that we never see, focus a series on them because there would be some interesting stories to tell there. Like the dudes in Tekkadan who have to go fishing for the gorillion maces that Mika leaves behind in battle, or the people who had to clean up all the Leos that blew up in Wing. And then shift into more serious episodes like the clean ups at Torrington or Berlin once in a while.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Gundam series about a future space version of doctors without borders/MSF thats chasing the front and trying to save as many civilians caught in the crossfire and aftermath as possible

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Gundam equivalent of Milly and Meryl doing damage insurance assesments following battles.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
A Gundam series about two elderly distant Zabi cousins living in a dilapidated colony together

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Gundam series about a future space version of doctors without borders/MSF thats chasing the front and trying to save as many civilians caught in the crossfire and aftermath as possible

But Tekkadan's already a future space MSF.

Obvious stupid jokes aside, that could be a pretty interesting setup. If it was UC, Kamille and Sayla are both trained medical professionals with plenty of frontline experience, assuming you wanted recurring characters to draw people in. If not, it would at least be a change of pace, and you could set up the whole timeline to make it easier for viewers to empathize with a "We don't give a gently caress why you're fighting, we're just here to save lives" angle from the protagonists.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The medical relief thing makes a lot of sense, and you'd even have room for a little MS action if the hospital ship has like two GMs to ward off pirates and Judau.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
This is just your regular reminder that if you're looking for a completely different perspective on giant robot action, you can't really go wrong with Flag.

And I do mean "different perspective" quite literally, it's done almost entirely from the viewpoint of a photojournalist covering the UN intervention in not-quite-Iraq, and is about as close to found footage as the medium will allow.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah but the CGI in Flag is terrible. Interesting concept, sometimes brilliant execution (really smart visual angles from the 'camera') but then in other places it falls flat.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah but the CGI in Flag is terrible. Interesting concept, sometimes brilliant execution (really smart visual angles from the 'camera') but then in other places it falls flat.

Characterization is weak for most of the cast, it moves like a beached whale, it's on-the-nose even by mech anime standards, the ending twist sours things...

I wanted to love FLAG going in.

It did not manage to live up to my hopes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'd like to see a Gundam series taking place during a clusterfuck of a revolution (1917 in space), following the politicians, the revolutionaries and students and whatnot.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Kuvo posted:

i would watch a gundam show set in UC 0085 about some dude in the R&D section of Anaheim. Themes could include the political changes after 0083, the ethical implications of constructing progressively more insane suits, and the sisyphean effort of getting HR to sort out his 401K situation

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Have you heard about our lord and savior Advance of Zeta?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

If you want a mobile suit research dad manga, Anaheim Record is very much that. Highlights include experimental mobile suits breaking, factory workers fearing for their lives when they realize they're supplying both sides of the war, and the romanticization of death from overwork.

There is no fighting, there is no interpersonal conflict, there is only glorious hard work. :dadmanga:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

RillAkBea posted:

If you want a mobile suit research dad manga, Anaheim Record is very much that. Highlights include experimental mobile suits breaking, factory workers fearing for their lives when they realize they're supplying both sides of the war, and the romanticization of death from overwork.

There is no fighting, there is no interpersonal conflict, there is only glorious hard work. :dadmanga:

what about depression from realizing that 99% of their robots will never be mass-produced because they're "too expensive" despite the fact that a single one just wiped out an entire army for the 40th time

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sam Sanskrit posted:

I always saw Char leaking the psychoframe data as him subconsciously self sabotaging rather then his stated aim of wanting to fight Amuro in a fair fight. Char has mixed feelings about what hes doing and frankly has maybe literally never won a fight against Amuro. The "fight me as my rival" thing always struck me as an excuse to get Amuro to prevent him from going through with it.

EDIT: In response to the post just above mine: My big problem with The Origin is that it positions Char as a sociopathic casual murderer. Which feels really out of line with where that character ends up.

well a big part of cca is char wanting to settle his grudge with amuro, because he's char and his entire life is like 90% grudges(and 10% ruining the lives of young girls)

I think he, as a crazy person, actually wanted to beat amuro at his best, except that amuro's "best" includes being a tech wiz and he shows up in an absolute beast of a machine backed up with one of the best pilots who ever lived and shits all over neo zeon

basically char envisioned some honorable 1v1 no items fox only space duel, while amuro's goal was "stop this loving lunatic from killing everyone"

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Unicorn was gorgeous but really dumb. The point of that story was umm ultimately nothing I guess? Play nice, except we know by time Victory rolls around someone (I already can't remember who) is right that the world has forgotten about Newtypes already.

Full Frontal becomes a full on newtype ghost to chill with Lalah and Char?

Banagher is basically the strongest newtype but decides not to become a ghost so he can hang with Mineva? The Unicorn is a magical loving deus ex once he's totally tapped in?

At least Noah Bright is still the best commander.

That ish was gorgeous to look at though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Unicorn Char's Counterattack was gorgeous but really dumb. The point of that story was umm ultimately nothing I guess? Play nice, except we know by time Victory rolls around someone (I already can't remember who) is right that the world has forgotten about Newtypes already.

Not that I'm saying that Char's Counterattack was actually dumb, but the thematic message is similar and if one is dumb so is the other in my opinion because of that. Char talks about how people are selfish and will only destroy the Earth if they're not forced to change, while Amuro argues that change takes time but will happen. Another war in 30 years doesn't change that, because he's talking about deep time i.e. thousands of years. Not even Turn-A or G-Reco changes that, since that's only a few thousand years and that kind of change could take tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of years.

Unicorn is the same. Frontal argues that people are selfish and ultimately nothing matters because all will come to nought in the end, while Banagher argues (in a overly simplistic manner) that our actions in the present matter even if the end result is the same. A new war in a few years or forgetting the existence of Newtypes doesn't change that, because the argument was never "no war ever again". Even Mineva just wants people to stop using her family and past mistakes as an excuse for war, and to stop hiding the shame and guilt of the past since that just enables such action in the first place.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Unicorn was gorgeous but really dumb. The point of that story was umm ultimately nothing I guess? Play nice, except we know by time Victory rolls around someone (I already can't remember who) is right that the world has forgotten about Newtypes already.

tbf I don't think even the most powerful space wizard could ever predict "army tries to literally flatten the planet with giant wheels"

like imagine instead of becoming one with the universe or whatever, at the end of unicorn banagher and frontal just see that one dude's insane motorcycle vision quest

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Unicorn would have been far, far more interesting if Frontal was just some guy cynically using Char's image and legacy as support for his own realpolitik ideas of how to gently caress over the Federation instead of the incredibly boring cyber newtype clone stuff. The final clash between Banagher and Frontal in Unicorn is effectively a retread of the one between Char and Amuro, except instead of the duel being between two characters we've seen grow and develop over decades with a long established history fighting over the existential fate of the entire world, we have a cardboard cutout teenager and a clone fighting over an abandoned colony with an obsolete law tablet in it.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 3, 2018

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

All good points. I guess having seen those stories before Unicorn feels kinda flat? Kanos prb summed up my thoughts better than I did.

Ending of Unicorn would have been better if we got the vision trip of motorcycle bros making everything into one for Victory. I maintain that's still really stupid, but at least that would have fit with the 2001 space brain explosion.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I agree that Full Frontal should have been a True-Believer emulating Char as best as he could, with the magic-carpet-ride near the end being Char/Amuro telling him he's a dumbass (Assuming the tripping balls scene has to stay).

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

ManSedan posted:

Was it ever shown what Amuro was up to during ZZ? Been years since I’ve watched it but I don’t really remember any of the war with Neo Zeon being shown outside of the Argamas perspective.

The specifics are never discussed, but he was fighting in space at the time that the Argama is on Earth in ZZ. It comes up during some dialogue between Bright and Hayato, I think. It was obviously a throwaway line to explain Amuro's absence because they couldn't get Furuya at the time for whatever reason, but then he isn't mentioned again when the protagonists return to space.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

There's a Gundam Evolve episode with Amuro in a team of 3 customized Zeta Gundams fighting some kind of Mobile Armor that takes place during ZZ.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
It almost certainly takes place during Z tho, since it's a Titans mobile armor they're fighting.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
broke: Zeon Remnants
woke: Titans Remnants

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Belpit posted:

It almost certainly takes place during Z tho, since it's a Titans mobile armor they're fighting.

I don't believe they say what faction it belongs to? I always assumed it was set during ZZ because I thought having several other Zeta Gundams around during the time of Zeta Gundam would be dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Guy Goodbody posted:

broke: Zeon Remnants
woke: Titans Remnants

Titan remnants are much better at hiding within the Federation because you don't see them starting any more uprisings when there are plenty of Zeon remnants who will gladly scapegoat themselves. Then the titan pilots get to do what they love. That Byarlant Custom pilot was probably having a blast putting down spacenoids.