Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wowzers. Liberals admitting defeat ostensibly, but actually trying not to be annihilated?

https://twitter.com/Colettod/status/1002928139843096581?s=20

https://twitter.com/CBCQueensPark/status/1002922946053201920?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

RBC posted:

getting a lot of facebook ads for wynne lol
Have you seen that #SorryNotSorry one with Wynne looking at the camera expressionless looking like she ate a bag of sour keys while narrating her own talking points? What the gently caress was up with that? I'd link it, but don't want to give them the benefit of another click. It was part of an apparent PR campaign cooked up by a "fixer".

Every candidates' PR campaigns seem to be run by weirdos who've apparently had human interaction experience.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 16, 2019

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

melon cat posted:

Have you seen that #SorryNotSorry one with Wynne looking at the camera expressionless looking like she ate a bag of sour keys while narrating her own talking points? What the gently caress was up with that? I'd link it, but don't want to give them the benefit of another click.

yeah it's basically this for five minutes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tanking your campaign to own the libs OPC?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
The new liberal anti-NDP ad is pretty great. Orange washed images of Horwath with Fred Hahn (featuring sweaty arm pits) talking about NEVER ENDING STRIKES. It's ok though, union buster Wynne has your back!

I feel like Horwath has done a pretty poor job defending her position though. She did a lot of interrupting and guffawing during the debate but never stepped up and addressed why back to work legislation is bad for anyone but the workers involved.

For instance: Is it any wonder that these sectors are striking repeatedly when every attempt at collective bargaining is shut down by the government? Perhaps if their last contract addressed their needs, they wouldn't be striking now? Maybe businesses would negotiate in good faith if they weren't certain the government would bail them out?

They are getting hammered from all sides on this and they need to have better counters to anti union rhetoric than "Well actually, essential services can't strike!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's still a few days left. Maybe they're keeping that line in as a last shot deal.

(Ron Howard: they aren't.)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I am sitting here giggling much like that girl on the toy car does

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

RBC posted:

yeah it's basically this for five minutes

Gives :smug: a run for its money

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
"I'm sorry more people don't like me" is also basically just rephrasing "I'm sorry you got offended" in terms of being complete non-apologies that just happen to use the word "sorry" so it's unsurprising that ad didn't work.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

vyelkin posted:

"I'm sorry more people don't like me" is also basically just rephrasing "I'm sorry you got offended" in terms of being complete non-apologies that just happen to use the word "sorry" so it's unsurprising that ad didn't work.

Any 1st year marketing major would tell you it was a horrible idea from the start.

Composition, concept, execution. Just utter trash.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

melon cat posted:

Not only that, but this year the Tories really are just finding whatever photo-friendly ethnic candidates they can find and shoving it on our faces so they can look "not racist". It is so superficial and cringey. And a lot of these candidates are pretty sketchy with no linkages to the local ethnic communities that they're claiming to represent and just opportunistic shills. Even Dougie's Twitter profile photo is just him posing with this black lady... I don't even know who she is, but he's kinda just wearing her like jewelry in this photo. And I still remember Meredith Cartwright (that candidate who got caught hiring actors to cheer for Ford during one of the debates)'s ridiculous Twitter cover image (before she deleted her account), where she just yanked a bunch of Indian guys to stand in the photo with her:

Every photo and press release they seem to dragged ethnic people into the shot and yelled, "GET A PHOTO OF ME WITH THE COLOUREDS". I'm ethnic and kinda wish they'd stop using ethnic people as window dressing for their photo-ops. I know that it happens more during elections with all parties, but now this poo poo's getting obvious. It reminds me of those photos that I'd see with Tea Party Conservatives posing with random black people at rallies holding signs that say, "SEE? NOT RACIST."
lol.

I'll :toxx: that the PCs make gains among racialized voters.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Did I completely imagine it or did the Liberals release an add of a sour faced Wynne silently staring at the camera while her own voice narrated how "sorry, not sorry" she was? Because it immediately reminded me of the old 90s era Simpsons gag about Homer talking to his own brain

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

Did I completely imagine it or did the Liberals release an add of a sour faced Wynne silently staring at the camera while her own voice narrated how "sorry, not sorry" she was? Because it immediately reminded me of the old 90s era Simpsons gag about Homer talking to his own brain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybRSFZjs0R8

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Helsing posted:

That was the ad I was refering to looking like Hermain Cain. loving creepy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

just another posted:

lol.

I'll :toxx: that the PCs make gains among racialized voters.

How will you determine if that happened or not?

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Helsing posted:

You imagined it no more than we imagined Loss turning to Found.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Subjunctive posted:

How will you determine if that happened or not?
If they actually do then I'm sure we won't hear the end of it for at least a news cycle.

Although I guess hard data will be harder to come by judging by a quick google of the 2014 results.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Helsing posted:

She said that line in the debate and it seemed kind of rehearsed and then shortly afterwards they released that ad and it's just such a bizarre tactic.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

just another posted:

If they actually do then I'm sure we won't hear the end of it for at least a news cycle.

Although I guess hard data will be harder to come by judging by a quick google of the 2014 results.

What would a story about racialized voters look like? Do we understand the term differently?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

SilverMike posted:

Or maybe two major parties will have to, and I know this is completely hosed up and unbelievable, cooperate and compromise with each other.

in a country like Germany with a long history of this sort of stuff this might happen, but I doubt that's gonna happen in Canada especially if you expect polarization to increase and your base to shout traitor at you for even think about compromising with the other side

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What exactly do the liberals expect to gain from a spite vote at this point?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Typo posted:

in a country like Germany with a long history of this sort of stuff this might happen, but I doubt that's gonna happen in Canada especially if you expect polarization to increase and your base to shout traitor at you for even think about compromising with the other side

The solution is clearly to build a southern wall to protect ourselves from US influence.

Im sure ol Dougie can get it done with his magical ability to create money out of thin air to pay for everything.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Since when does the provincial party set property taxes? That’s municipal.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cowofwar posted:

Since when does the provincial party set property taxes? That’s municipal.

Province sets education tax rate, and determines assessed value.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Helsing posted:

I really want to know how that conversation went in the OLP War Room.

OLP: "We're getting hammered in the polls, and Ontarians are really upset over our decisions over the years. What should we do?"

PR Consultant: "Tell them you're not sorry, and force them to stare at Kathleen Wynne's face and listen to her monologue about how 'not sorry' she is."

Somewhere out there a PR "Consultant" just made a stupid amount of money for this trainwreck of a PR campaign.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 2, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean, what does the OLP expect their voter base to do now that they've admitted defeat? People voted Wynne in to keep Hudak out, and now she wants them to vote liberal candidates in to piss in the coffee of the OPC and NDP while singing You'll be Back.

I think Wynne overestimates how many liberal voters are in that "liberal elite" demographic. Most people who voted lib last time were leftist or anti OPC, not rich ivory tower types. So I'm hoping that rather than take her up on the spite vote more people swing towards the NDP as the de facto anti ford party.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
https://twitter.com/etfopresident/status/1002938466131415041

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

melon cat posted:

I really want to know how that conversation went in the OLP War Room.

I imagine it was some recognition that an act of contrition might help combined with the all-too-common idea that a real apology for screwing up is just not done by politicians. So the worst of both worlds.

But hey, bonus points for making it one of them Cool, Hip Phrases being used by Millennials on Social Media.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I'm not super surprised that Wynne pre-emptively conceding might move lib voters to either of the two leading parties, mainly because the only ideology a lot of liberals have is, like the party itself, power.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 25, 2018

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Stretch Marx posted:

That was the ad I was refering to looking like Hermain Cain. loving creepy.

First thing I thought of too. It became really funny when someone reversed it so he goes from smiling to just staring at you.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

What exactly do the liberals expect to gain from a spite vote at this point?

Official party status.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Wirth1000 posted:

I swear there was a big push internally to try and get Wynne to step down?

Honestly, I've been trying to figure out who the bigger egomaniac is: Wynne or Doug.

It's Wynne, because Doug's had way less time and brain to work out that he shouldn't be in charge.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
"Please vote for us, a party that is going to lose and have no power in the legislature" certainly is an election strategy, but I don't think it's a very good one. Maybe if we had something other than FPP but well....

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Can't think of a better place to post this than CanPol: gently caress Canadian Tire forever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wirth1000 posted:

Can't think of a better place to post this than CanPol: gently caress Canadian Tire forever.

Gonna start burning Canadian tire bills now?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Math You posted:

Yeah her kid looks like a complete loving loser. Dunno what the deal is with certain cliques apparently trying to look as bad as possible. Fat, creepy tattoos, dumb hair, cheek piercings.
I'd 100% mark him as a "live with Mom and Dad and spend all of my part time cart pushing money on my sweet tats instead of paying rent" type.
People are allowed to look the way they want to look, gently caress is wrong with you man

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

THC posted:

People are allowed to look the way they want to look, gently caress is wrong with you man

Same broke brain mentality that led to the famous PT6A rant on his overweight health minister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

THC posted:

Not if you wanna work as a lawyer, banker or IBM employee.