Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My boss doesn’t want student workers eating lunch with other employees, because they might hear “adult subjects”

quote:

I work in higher education and my office employs college students. The two students I currently oversee (both over 21) have been eating lunch in the break room at the noon hour along with the rest of the staff members. My supervisor told me she feels uncomfortable with the students doing this because staff may discuss confidential work info during lunch and because some staff swear and talk about adult subjects. My supervisor asked that I either change the students’ lunch hours or ask them to not sit in the break room.

I refused, arguing that the request is misguided and discriminatory. Are there any laws or other reasoning I can use to advocate for the student employees?
Think of the tender ears of college students, who have never ever heard swearing before. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

This is almost certainly because she's worried the students will overhear the staff badmouthing them or other students.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Report the workers discussing adult subjects to HR, promote the student workers to the newly opened positions. Maybe steal your supervisors job since she's fostering a hostile work environment.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Totally normal people:

my coworker wants to find the office pooper — and it’s me

quote:

Help! I’m the Office Pooper. Every office has one. I have a medical condition that causes it but when I have to go, I have to go!

The bad part is I have a coworker who is on a witch hunt to find the Office Pooper. She sits in front of me and constantly complains about people using the bathroom to poop. I try not to get into it much but I’m scared of being busted out! I honestly don’t do it for shits and giggles. (Pun intended.) I can’t help it. How do I resolve this situation? I’ve already lied and said it’s not me, so I can’t admit the truth.

My coworker has even watched the bathroom at different times through out the day to try and find out who it is. Luckily she tells me about these stake-outs before they happen so I can avoid using the bathroom then. My stomach is hurting and my nerves are on edge. I just want to poop in peace, but that seems like too much to ask of my coworker. Any advice?

I want so much to barge out of that restroom with pants around my ankles and ask loudly "SCUSE ME MAAM WHERE IS THE POOP KNIFE?"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Nightgull posted:

Has this been posted? Because it’s amazing.

My [43 F] husband [46 M] doesn't like my daughter's [17 F] boyfriend [17 M] because he's black.

My husband is an unapologetic racist. WHAT DO

"I had no idea my husband was racist! All he did was make racist jokes and say bad things about black people, how was I supposed to know he didn't like black people?"

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

A tale as old as time:

​Me [20F] with my male classmates [20sM], I don't know how to discourage undesired suitors in a classroom settingNon-Romantic

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/4mkaba/me_20f_with_my_male_classmates_20sm_i_dont_know/

quote:

I know that as problems go, this isn't a bad one to have, but it's really starting to interfere with my ability to enjoy and profit from my education.

I'm in a highly technical, male-dominated field, and a lot of my classes require extensive group work. It's happened to me several times now that my lab partners or study buddies develop obvious but unarticulated crushes on me or treat me extremely differently from the other students. It's sort of an uncomfortable position, because I can't address it directly (since they don't exactly say anything about it), but it really screws up the work dynamic.

The first time this happened was the first semester of freshman year, when we were assigned lab groups. One of the guys, Pinkerton, got physically and verbally flirty (touching my shoulders, sitting much, much too close, staring intensely, loading down every goddamn thing he said with innuendo, etc.) I tried to discourage him by moving away from him, never engaging him in non-work-related conversation, and treating him with distinctly less friendliness than the rest. At the end of the semester, he asked me out anyway and insisted that I'd been flirting with him the whole time. He kept texting me (had my number because of the group work) every few weeks for another year after that even though I never responded.

Since then, similar things have happened five more times. They kind of passively "court" me for a while, then insist that I've been responding positively. I have not. The second I detect any kind of unreciprocated romantic interest, I change my conduct to some minimal level of civility (which is measurably colder than my attitude towards non-flirty classmates) and avoid them wherever possible. If they just ask, I say "no" decisively, but I don't know how to deal with the covert stuff.

Things I do to discourage them:

*Pretend not to hear any non-work-related conversation that they try to make

*Avoid making direct eye contact

*Never smile at them

*Stop cracking jokes and laughing in their vicinity

It really curtails my ability to behave like a normal human being and it doesn't even work most of the time. I realize that a lot of STEM guys have poor social skills, but I think I'm being pretty drat clear.

I'm just completely over it. I'm over unsolicited physical contact. I'm over the random offers of "help" from guys who don't even do as well as I do academically. I'm over being treated like some kind of alien species whenever I walk into a room. How do I discourage the romantic attention when it's not stated outright? Do I just need a pretend boyfriend or something?

tl;dr: Guys in my program develop crushes at an alarming rate. How to discourage them before they actually work up the nerve to ask me out?

Was it this thread or another thread discussing school sessions where kids are taught about relationships, and how someone being nice is not being flirty? Because goddamn, that's a good idea.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Kuiperdolin posted:

Totally normal people:

I want so much to barge out of that restroom with pants around my ankles and ask loudly "SCUSE ME MAAM WHERE IS THE POOP KNIFE?"

Why aren't they allowed to poop at this office? :(

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Why aren't they allowed to poop at this office? :(

This isn't the first time this type of story has come up. One was that the sales team didn't want people making GBS threads in the reception area bathroom that clients/prospects use because that's how salespeople are. They want everything to be perfect up until the meeting so that the client isn't thinking about the heinous poo poo they just smelled while they're making a pitch.

I'm guessing in this case there's a smaller single person bathroom in the office that it's silently agreed on that you only use for pissing. There's probably a larger and better ventilated bathroom further away where people normally poo poo.

It's pretty ridiculous. They should just get some Glade plugins or those conical things with the evanescing scented gel or whatever.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Ham Sandwiches posted:

my (23f) boyfriend (30m) of 4 years loves UFC so I splurged and got him tickets to the June 9th event for his bday. He says he'd rather go on the "boys night" he's buddies planned for him that night. I'm crushed and don't know what to do.

SURPRISE!! that guy sucks

Break up with your bf and take some other dude to UFC with you.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Kuiperdolin posted:

Totally normal people:

I proudly take shits at work all the time, hell I brag about it even. "There goes ol' Ray," they say, "About to inspect the fleet." Lemme tell you what to do: bring 'em back to the desk and slap them down and demand your coworkers respect the poo poo.

Admiral Ray fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 3, 2018

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My [14 M] parents [40 F] [44 M] are making me go to fat camp.

quote:

I posted this in the legal site. I am copying and pasting most of what I wrote there here.

I am fourteen, boy, and live in New York State with my mom and stepfather. My dad died before I was born and I grew with alone with my Mom, until I was ten and when she met him. They married about two years ago and he has been my stepfather ever since.

I do not hate my stepfather and he does not hate me. I am glad he met my mother. She was very lonely when I was a kid and he makes her happy and is a very kind person. We were also very poor and he is a businessman who makes a lot of money and can take care of my mom so she doesn't have to kill herself. He has never got in a argument with me and we do not fight. But it is very awkward in the house between us even with us both trying to be nice. We have very little in common, but I want to repeat that I do not hate him at all because I know that many people have relationships with there steparents and I do not have that.

I am very fat, very very fat. I have always been. I was the tallest kid in my class last year but still about 260 pounds, which I know is fat. My weigh doesn't bother me, i like being fat. The only thing that it really changes is how I might get along with girls but from my angle its a good way to see who is shallow. I do not want to eat healthy and i think about food a lot. i have dieted in the past and it has made me very miserable. I am not lazy or anything. I work very hard at school and in everything I do I just don't care about this. My mom does care more then me but she never bothered me about it but my stepdad brings it up alot. Never in a mean way but he always asks me to go to the gym and trys only buying food which does not fill me up and is overly healthy.

A few weeks ago we went to the doctor and they gave me a speech about eating better and today from my stepdad and mom wanted to speak to me, after my last day of school for the semester since I am skipping exam week since I exempted. They talked about the doctor's meeting and said I'm going to a "health camp" for literally the entire summer, from early june to the middle of august. ALL OF IT. I looked it up and its just a fat camp.

I was obviously really upset and I begged them not to send me but they said that they'd already paid for it and I was definitely going. I don't ever yell at my parents but I couldn't manage the conversation so I just left immediately and went in my room and cried. I went down later and asked very nicely if I didn't have to go and they said no. I asked why I deserved a punishment and they said it wasnt a punishment. I just left again because i wouldnt have been able to stop from screaming at them and i don't want to yell at them.

Thank you very much for help.

So now I know the legal stuff. apparently they CAN force me to go, but I still do not want to. Can someone please give me advice then about how I could convince them not to send me to camp? I don't want to lose three whole months of my life because of this.

Thanks.

TL;DR: My parents are sending me to fat camp. I am fat but I do not care about being fat. I don't want to fight or scream with them and I never did but I just want to peacefully convince them not to send me so I can have my summer vacation. Is there a good way to do this? My parents are very nice but seems to be overly obsessed with this idea and my weigh.
Paging CPS, they're torturing this child with vegetables and exercise!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Fat camps really can be poo poo but also, as a fat person, it's good to start managing that while you're still in your teens because set in habits are going to be even harder to break later. Provided it's actually a good place that's just going to feed him healthy food and have a lot of physical activities in a supportive, health-based environment, it sounds like a great way to break bad habits even if it's going to suck for him.

Food can absolutely be an addiction and it's a tricky one because you can't just... stop eating. If he's actually on good portions all summer then by the end of summer that's what should feel filling to him. That kid is heavier than I am and I'm an adult, his parents are worried about his health and mortality.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

SpazmasterX posted:

Dude is an idiot but I'd be annoyed if someone went and bought tickets to something without discussing it with me first. Who's to say I didn't have to work that night? Maybe I had plans already in place?

Are you serious? They've been together four years. If he has plans on his birthday and hasn't told her, he's 100% the dipshit in the story.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hell just sign him up for football

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CheesyDog posted:

Hell just sign him up for football

Enough head injuries and he won't be thinking all these stupid thoughts.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Haifisch posted:

Where the hell are you from anyway, camper!?

Counselor, Texas, Counselor!

Holy dog poo poo, Texas! Only steers and queers come from Texas, camper! And you don't look much like a queer to me so that kinda narrows it down.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I din't know they stacked cumshit that high.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

You know, I wish my parents sent me to a fat camp at 14. I think I'd be in a better place right now. I'm 35 and 275 lbs, and I was probably 230-240 at that age. It was clear where I was going and It's a loving miracle I'm not even bigger than I am.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Haifisch posted:

quote:

We were also very poor and he is a businessman who makes a lot of money and can take care of my mom so she doesn't have to kill herself.

:goofy:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i can’t imagine spending a couple months being forced into exercise is really gonna convince anyone to make long lasting changes to their habits. unless they have a come to jesus moment after seeing the results they’ll probably just be even more stubborn going forward.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i can't imagine spending a couple months being forced into exercise is really gonna convince anyone to make long lasting changes to their habits. unless they have a come to jesus moment after seeing the results they'll probably just be even more stubborn going forward.
I mean that's why the camps that involve yelling at you aren't going to help much, but even just getting them on a (balanced, proportionate) diet for a summer can help because once you break out of having huge portions and unhealthy stuff every meal you don't get the same cravings. Boot camp like stuff doesn't help because while you might drop pounds over the summer as soon as you aren't being monitored 24/7 you'll just go right back up because it's not a sustainable lifestyle change. Same reason people who 'win' The Biggest Loser tend to go right back up.

It's just even the nicest and most fun camp is going to suck because it's cutting him off from his friends for the summer and it's specifically because he's fat. Even though his parents aren't punishing him I see why it feels that way. Presumably they've got more information about this than the internet randos their kid went to for advice, though.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Are you serious? They've been together four years. If he has plans on his birthday and hasn't told her, he's 100% the dipshit in the story.

I was giving a general example, not specific to the story.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

i can’t imagine spending a couple months being forced into exercise is really gonna convince anyone to make long lasting changes to their habits. unless they have a come to jesus moment after seeing the results they’ll probably just be even more stubborn going forward.

God, it’s like none of you have seen that 90s movie ‘Heavyweights’...

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

SpazmasterX posted:

I was giving a general example, not specific to the story.
I think the general example would be to assume you're spending your b-day with your SO unless you specifically plan for something else.

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011
My wife [20] and I [22] had a serious sexual agreement and she refuses to live up to her end of the deal.

quote:

We agreed to a [20F4MM] and a [22M4FF]. I let her go first and the other guy she chose was my brother, that is pretty big imo. Well it’s been 2 years and I still haven’t gotten my chance. I consider this cheating if she doesn’t let me have my turn. I have been patient so far only because, before this agreement, she once let me watch her [F] best friend have sex with another [F] and didn’t ask for anything in return. We have a good life now and love each other and I don’t want that to change. However now she says she regrets the agreement and having had a threesome with my brother and I. But a deal is a deal. Any time I bring it up she gets angry and often says “Fine go have sex with another girl” or “Have sex with whoever.” She also says it can’t be anyone she knows or from work. Not even the same at all and I know she doesn’t really want me to have sex with someone else.

Things are sooner or later going to boil over. We both want the life we have but it seems like if I sleep with someone else it’ll damage the relationship beyond repair and if I don’t get to then it’ll be the same. She thinks this whole thing can just be quietly swept under the rug, in time. The biggest thing, that is a problem, is that we now have a baby in our lives. I have to think about him first and need to solve this tactfully.

Even if I was ok with throwing out a threesome to sleep with some random stranger I still wouldn’t be able to tell her. I don’t want to live with a secret like that. On the other side if I don’t get my turn then she basically got to gently caress my brother and had a threesome but I don’t get to do anything and I have to live with that. Either way is a potential relationship ender it seems. I don’t want us to split and most importantly I don’t want our child to have divorced parents. Once that happens resolution is out the window and it’s game over.

It’s a very delicate matter and I don’t have people I can talk to about this. Maybe someone here has a good idea on what should be done? Yes, in hindsight, this was a stupid agreement. But at the time it would have been ok had she not changed her mind.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

Esoteric Scientist posted:

My wife [20] and I [22] had a serious sexual agreement and she refuses to live up to her end of the deal.

I normally hate it when people call fake but that HAS to be fake.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Has he considered that maybe divorcing now is best? That is, before their kid is old enough to suffer serious mental and social repercussions from his parents splitting up over an unreciprocated orgy with his uncle? That's absolutely going to come up in the proceedings.

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011
it totally sounds like something a goon would make up to troll reddit, but I want to believe it's true

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

it totally sounds like something a goon would make up to troll reddit, but I want to believe it's true

It's a percentages game. Most of the really ridiculous ones are fake, but... If there is a stupid situation two or more human beings can get into, somewhere out there will be two or more human beings who got into it. Go ahead and believe it's true. You might be wrong this time, but you won't be wrong every time.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Game shows and fat camps that just put you on treadmills and feed you roughage for 6 weeks aren't going to work well for long-term health but I don't think it's impossible for a fat camp to be beneficial. A surprising number of people just don't know anything about nutrition, are largely sedentary, and eat whatever is in front of them until they feel full. This is a surefire way to become fat, and breaking even just 1 of those can make a huge difference.

Like say that a camp just teaches effective nutrition and portion control. This is probably going to result in someone losing weight, and food can be really delicious even when it's not covered in sugar and butter, so putting a fat person in that kind of environment might actually create a coming to jesus moment because they otherwise would never encounter that kind of effect on their own.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

If it is true then lol forever dude got cucked by his brother.

A good friend of my wife’s had a threesome with her husband and his cousin, turns out cousin was better hung and a better lover to boot, and that was the beginning of the end of their relationship.

So stupid poo poo like this does indeed happen.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

First thing we have to do is translate all of his options into tic tac toe moves then keep playing them to a stalemate and eventually he'll realize that his best option is to do nothing.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

a serious sexual agreement

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ArbitraryC posted:

I think the general example would be to assume you're spending your b-day with your SO unless you specifically plan for something else.

I'm 90% sure he's going to NYC to try to gently caress other women for a weekend.

hanales posted:

A good friend of my wife’s had a threesome with her husband and his cousin, turns out cousin was better hung and a better lover to boot, and that was the beginning of the end of their relationship.

I don't understand how anyone could have sex with a family member, even if they're using a woman as a double-fleshlight so the tips don't touch.

Haifisch posted:

They could have tried actual parenting before throwing their hands up and robbing a kid of an entire summer at an age where socialization really starts to matter. Hope he has a good alibi for the first day back.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I really wonder what is the percentage of threads posted in /r/relationships that are trolls or just people's creative writing hobbies.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Beachcomber posted:

They could have tried actual parenting before throwing their hands up and robbing a kid of an entire summer at an age where socialization really starts to matter. Hope he has a good alibi for the first day back.

If it works, it'll be obvious where he's been.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Beachcomber posted:

Read the post again, the stepdad seems to have tried to go above and beyond for the kid. Stepdad is the good guy, fat kid is the 4chan person hoping to cash in some GBP for tendies.

His alibi will be missing 100 pounds when he gets back in 3 months.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

ballistics statistics posted:

Read the post again, the stepdad seems to have tried to go above and beyond for the kid. Stepdad is the good guy, fat kid is the 4chan person hoping to cash in some GBP for tendies.

His alibi will be missing 100 pounds when he gets back in 3 months.

Yeah I hate to get all old dad but it does sound like it’s best for him. Hopefully it includes therapy as part of the treatment.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Do fat camps actually work in the long-term? Honestly I have no clue about sending people to camps of any sort, it's a really American cultural concept. Stop thinking about Germany jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Jeza posted:

Do fat camps actually work in the long-term? Honestly I have no clue about sending people to camps of any sort, it's a really American cultural concept. Stop thinking about Germany jokes.

Even if it doesn't, breaking the lovely food and non-exercise chain for 3 months isn't a bad thing. Maybe long enough for a 14-year-old to realize that he may want to be attractive and continue doing at least some of those things in the future.

And again, even if he goes right back to his old ways, 3 months of living healthy is better than 3 months not living healthy.