Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

tbh lazy plot points aside I strongly dislike that they've decided to give her smaller less pointy head nubs, less scaley softer looking skin, littler claws etc

extremely niche pet peeve but making something like a dragon have sexual dimorphism along the line of "females look less threatening and more cutesy" bc gender roles is some horseshit

ever hear of Planes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Harold Krell posted:

Or maybe it'll be exactly like this:

That's not a fair comparison because that trilogy started out barely acceptable and was already bad with its second title, whereas Dragons started out actually good. Still haven't watched the second one so I can't pass judgement on that one.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
A guy on my YouTube channel got mad that I said there aren't enough animated feature films for adults being produced in America and his examples were Sausage Party, Happytime Murders, Deadpool, and Logan.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

But Deadpool and Logan aren't animated....

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Neither is Happytime....

Unmature
May 9, 2008
And Sausage Party shouldn't be an example for anyone to follow ever. Unless you wanna run a sweatshop.

EDIT:
Eh, that's a little harsh I actually kinda like a lot about Sausage Party. I just hate how it was created.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Unmature posted:

Eh, that's a little harsh I actually kinda like a lot about Sausage Party. I just hate how it was created.

Yeah, it's better not to know how the Sausage Party gets made.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I set Blue Eyes White Dragon face down in defense position and end my turn

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Renoistic posted:

To be fair, the 'dead mom returning' thing from 2 was also really lazy and that movie turned out OK.

the dead mom reunion scene was actually nice but everything else was pretty meh

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Macaluso posted:

http://collider.com/how-to-train-your-dragon-3-poster/#synopsis

Ooof. This is like the absolute laziest direction they could've gone

throw this in the trash

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Looper posted:

I love For the Dancing and the Dreaming, but which the rest of the movie took that tack - the it's okay for even the tough, brutal men to be honest with their feelings, instead of trying hard to push Hiccup into being a Proper Viking Leader when he's really not that kind of person (AND ASTRID IS RIGHT THERE, Let her take over)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

AnonSpore posted:

I set Blue Eyes White Dragon face down in defense position and end my turn

You know what this redeems the whole thing.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Unmature posted:

And Sausage Party shouldn't be an example for anyone to follow ever. Unless you wanna run a sweatshop.

EDIT:

Not paying OT is the standard in the Canadian animation industry. Considering Dreamworks sends work to Mikros in Montreal, and Reel FX opened in Canada, it's going to be the standard for most animated movies now.

We get exploited and then just hope that we don't have too much downtime without a paycheck in between projects.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Gorgeous flight scenes, that’s good enough for me

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Looper posted:

The thing that drove me crazy about the second movie, which I mostly liked, was how they handled Stoick's funeral. They should've waited to do it until the end, because the entire time they're having this really somber funeral scene, I'm just thinking "STOP DOING THIS YOU'RE WASTING TIME HURRY UP AND GO SAVE TOOTHLESS". It was IMPOSSIBLE to stay immersed in that scene because there was a much bigger issue that they needed to get taken care of RIGHT NOW and instead they are slowly having a slow funeral as slow as they possibly can. I absolutely hated it.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

IronicDongz posted:

I mean we don't have to go full biology major on it, I just think it's poo poo that western gender norms get stuck even onto animated animals

but it's nothing new when female cartoon dogs always have big eyelashes and stuff. I'm just mad because I liked how to train your dragon

I have a feeling American animation fully embrace iconography/stereotypes, the faster you can read an image the "better" the design. That's my theory anyway.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
This is the second time Dragons has femmed up a character that would've been better left buff.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Clumsy Card House posted:

Real disappointing. Reminds me of Stitch and pink Stitch.

This makes sense since Dean DeBlois worked on Lilo and Stitch as co-director and co-writer.

Also so did Chris Sanders, who co-directed and co-wrote Lilo and Stitch with DeBlois. He also co-wrote and directed HTTYD 1 alongside DeBlois.

Also it's why Toothless kind of looks like Stitch.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Robindaybird posted:

I love For the Dancing and the Dreaming, but which the rest of the movie took that tack - the it's okay for even the tough, brutal men to be honest with their feelings, instead of trying hard to push Hiccup into being a Proper Viking Leader when he's really not that kind of person (AND ASTRID IS RIGHT THERE, Let her take over)

This was something that confused the hell out of me throughout HtTYD2, why are we putting so much focus on making Hiccup the chief when everyone loves Astrid and will follow her? Considering that the first movie has Berk go from hunting dragons to loving them by the end, what is wrong with the second movie ending with Astrid becoming the new chief?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I mean, it's gonna be obvious Hiccup and Astrid are going to hook up at some point, so there's not even a succession issue there, if viking villages even care about that.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Robindaybird posted:

I mean, it's gonna be obvious Hiccup and Astrid are going to hook up at some point, so there's not even a succession issue there, if viking villages even care about that.

...they're really obviously in a relationship already in the second movie? they're not married or whatever but it's clearly an established relationship

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/UGPeteWilliams/status/1003445049135435777

:confused:

It's been like 17 years

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I've never even heard of this show.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I watched it a bunch when it was on Teletoon. That was back when Mission Hill and The Oblongs were around and it fit into a similar niche of trying to be adult animation but not too adult, so it would air after 8pm but it wouldn't drop swear words.

It was alright, had some good jokes and didn't feel like a waste of time, though the fact that I remember it at all probably says more about my TV habits as a teen than it does about the quality of the show.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
And yet still no Clone High season 2. :sigh:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Phylodox posted:

And yet still no Clone High season 2. :sigh:

I was just thinking about the Clone High episode with the film festival, today. I think about that episode a lot. It is so loving perfectly timed and so joke-dense.

e: For example, right here. this. this pops up, in my brain, often

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENSmg4pcjz4&t=680s

Pick fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 4, 2018

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

It has been 17 years, what exactly are they going to do with a movie that wouldn't have been better spent with trying to get a second season?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pick posted:

I was just thinking about the Clone High episode with the film festival, today. I think about that episode a lot. It is so loving perfectly timed and so joke-dense.

e: For example, right here. this. this pops up, in my brain, often

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENSmg4pcjz4&t=680s

You bastard, I almost kept watching the whole episode.

Say whaaaat?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Waffleman_ posted:

Say whaaaat?

say what

Kangra
May 7, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I watched it a bunch when it was on Teletoon. That was back when Mission Hill and The Oblongs were around and it fit into a similar niche of trying to be adult animation but not too adult, so it would air after 8pm but it wouldn't drop swear words.

I remember it as being worse than either of those. Not that I really want a Mission Hill movie 17 years after either.

On the other hand, maybe it would help if there really were more examples of adult-oriented animated movies in the US.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kangra posted:

I remember it as being worse than either of those. Not that I really want a Mission Hill movie 17 years after either.

On the other hand, maybe it would help if there really were more examples of adult-oriented animated movies in the US.

none of those shows were particularly good nor bad, they were all some range of average

when you look at their contemporariness at the time, on the one hand you had stuff like Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Harvey Birdman, and Drawn Together, and on the other hand you had Hey Joel, Spy Groove, Kevin Spencer, and Drawn Together, so stuff like Undergrads falls pretty squarely in the middle

and lol as if this movie is ever gonna get more than a direct-to-video release, probably on the 20'th anniversary of the show's end

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I hate all of you who mentioned Clone High season 2 before me. :smith:

TO BE CONTINUED

?

!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Why

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/wreckitralph/status/1003667695592603648?s=20
Parts of this seem very Emoji movie but my god that Disney Princess scene is insane

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

The hell happened to Pocahontas

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
That is the most masturbatory thing I've ever seen. Disney jerking off about how much IP it owns.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

That Disney Princess scene is SO good. I love it

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That is the most masturbatory thing I've ever seen. Disney jerking off about how much IP it owns.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
They're not wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

"Show me the coolest most intense thing ever"

cut to DISNEY ANIMATION STUDIOS