Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Deptfordx posted:

I just finished the campaign. I didn't lose a single pilot. That's with no save-scumming etc, obviously had pilots injured sometimes, but zero casualties.

Feel free to reach up my butt for your medal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Banshee -3S is the most dangerous Assault 'Mech in 3025 tabletop.

big ben tho

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Banshee -3S is the most dangerous Assault 'Mech in 3025 tabletop.

what gives it the nod over other assaults of similar weight? just all that pinpoint damage at range?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

The Iron Rose posted:

goddamn the banshee is poo poo

shoulda taken the stalker instead

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/13?tab=description

thanks!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How bad am I for being tempted to rip off the Ac20s for 5s on the Crab to cram on more guns?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

More guns more fun.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Flipswitch posted:

How bad am I for being tempted to rip off the Ac20s for 5s on the Crab to cram on more guns?

5s are really solid in this game honestly. I went with 2 MLs (+10 damage), 2 AC5s (+damage and +stab damage IIRC), and an SRM20 (made up of +damage +stab damage launchers) with jumpjets. Enough ammo to last ~15 rounds, cram a few of the DHS you have into it to help with cooling, and there you go. The AC5s give you a longer ranged option and aren't too bad on ammo per ton or damage per ton.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Flipswitch posted:

Instead of AC5s I suggest you put in 4x SRM6, as many ML and SLs as you like, all the heatsinks, and jumpjets.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Pattonesque posted:

what gives it the nod over other assaults of similar weight? just all that pinpoint damage at range?

It's an Awesome with a back-up armament more potent than a single small laser and nearly as much armor as an Atlas.

Nearly every other good assault 'Mech in 3025 is very short range with a single token long-range weapon.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Psion posted:

Instead of AC5s I suggest you put in 4x SRM6, as many ML and SLs as you like, all the heatsinks, and jumpjets.

Zebulon posted:

5s are really solid in this game honestly. I went with 2 MLs (+10 damage), 2 AC5s (+damage and +stab damage IIRC), and an SRM20 (made up of +damage +stab damage launchers) with jumpjets. Enough ammo to last ~15 rounds, cram a few of the DHS you have into it to help with cooling, and there you go. The AC5s give you a longer ranged option and aren't too bad on ammo per ton or damage per ton.
Yeah the comedy boom option is amazing but I just find it runs too drat hot and becomes a bit dull as a result.

What's the difference between the Victors and variants? Any goon recommendations for my Battletech pokedex?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah the comedy boom option is amazing but I just find it runs too drat hot and becomes a bit dull as a result.

if you pull rear armor down to a low-ish level you can fit enough heatsinks to stay under redline for a few jump + alphas in a row, and honestly not much survives a KC putting out that much damage in a turn anyway.

I had to tweak mine a few times to get it as heat-neutral as I could. It's still not neutral, especially when you're close enough to hit with all the SLs, but it's fine for a 4v4 and doesn't need that many cooldown turns in a 4v8 or whatever. One, usually.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Flipswitch posted:

You're good. MLas and SRMs are more efficient weapons and nothing will really survive the firepower, so you can add in AC5s to free the weight and get some mid-range punch. 4 MGs are also good for when you get up-close and personal.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's an Awesome with a back-up armament more potent than a single small laser and nearly as much armor as an Atlas.

Nearly every other good assault 'Mech in 3025 is very short range with a single token long-range weapon.

Not to mention that it is very well sinked, and its weapons fall into two brackets that are very heat-efficient (PPCs+AC10 at range, and then the AC+MLs+SRM in close), so it doesn't really force you to make many difficult decisions.

It might actually be the 'mech with the longest shelf life out of the entire 3025-era; I don't think it's ever not at least an okay option at any point in the timeline, even long after new tech becomes common. There might be a couple others that are semi-competitive but the Banshee still holds up well against the kind of Inner Sphere assaults you start seeing in the late 3050s, and is more durable than most of them to boot.

I figure there are only two reasons they'd have not put it in the game: the first is that, off the top of my head, there are zero mech variants that are a different speed than the standard in this game, so maybe they didn't want to mess with that for some code-based reason. The second is that if it was there it would make the Highlander and Atlas seem pointless.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Cicada-2A and -3C are different speeds.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Conspiratiorist posted:

Cicada-2A and -3C are different speeds.

I completely forgot the Cicada existed lol

So yeah there's no actual reason the -3S shouldn't be in the game, then.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Fraction Jackson posted:

It might actually be the 'mech with the longest shelf life out of the entire 3025-era; I don't think it's ever not at least an okay option at any point in the timeline, even long after new tech becomes common. There might be a couple others that are semi-competitive but the Banshee still holds up well against the kind of Inner Sphere assaults you start seeing in the late 3050s, and is more durable than most of them to boot.

About the only thing I'd do to upgrade it is replace the AC/10 with a Plasma Rifle after 3068 to reduce one of its only vulnerabilities (explosive ammo), which lets you up the armor to the the "efficient maximum" (18 tons) and add three more standard heat sinks.

That pushes its BV from 1751 (the highest in 3025 play) to 2011 (which puts it on par with the Archangel C without Double Heat Sinks)

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 3, 2018

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Fraction Jackson posted:

The second is that if it was there it would make the Highlander and Atlas seem pointless.

You can make the Banshee S (with even more ) with the endgame atlas.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The reason they might not have included the good Banshee is it debuted in 3026, but that is a dumb reason IMO.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I'm hella struggling so far. Keep hitting a brick wall as soon as I get to 2 skull missions with multiple mediums. Thinking it's my loadouts not pumping out consistent damage, so I'd appreciate some goonfeedback

Vindicator--2 PPCs, jumpjets
Blackjack-AC10, 4 ML's, jumpjets
Shadowhawk-2 SRM6, 1 SRM4, ML, jumpjets
Centurion-LRM20, LRM15, LRM10, jumpjets

Shadowhawk and Blackjack are full frontal armor, Vindicator is light armor for the ppcs and heatsinks, and Centurion is glasscannon. All have decent heatsink spread.

My guess is 1. My Vindicator needs to drop a PPC, and 2. Fewer jumpjets

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Famethrowa posted:

I'm hella struggling so far. Keep hitting a brick wall as soon as I get to 2 skull missions with multiple mediums. Thinking it's my loadouts not pumping out consistent damage, so I'd appreciate some goonfeedback

Shadowhawk and Blackjack are full frontal armor, Vindicator is light armor for the ppcs and heatsinks, and Centurion is glasscannon. All have decent heatsink spread.

You could double down on damage and "Learn to position better"™ but I rode out the early game hump by favoring armor and/or jets over max firepower. 30 LRM + jets Cent (After one too many sensor lock/indirect fires leaving my max LRM version in the repair bay). AC5, 2 SRM4, ML with jets Shadowhawk. Single AC5+4 Mlasers Blackjack (and never deciding if I want jets or not).

Things turned around real fast in uptime because a mission taking slightly longer but with less/no internal damage lets you chain missions. Chaining missions is the big deal real money maker, not selling the occasional spare locust or spider you scrounge together. And in the early game your repair times are garbage so even taking a light tickle to the arm structure is a pain.

Repair/Mod times finally start to reach what feels like "Default" rather than "Handicap" once you have the Argo's Second Mechbay+Automation. Automation specifically, because that solves the random fires event with the amazing lostech of sprinklers. Once getting internals exposed or overheating to ensure you finish off a target are inconveniences rather than stopgaps, you have much more leeway to play with maximum firepower builds.

You can get away with a max LRM cent fine, it's more down to murphy's law if keeping it at the farther edges of it's indirect fire capability (with poo poo accuracy on low level pilots) are 100% safe or not. You can go several missions untouched, then a base attack mission brazenly spawns new mechs behind you within 10 hexes and LoS without even pretending they were there the whole time.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 3, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Famethrowa posted:

- PPCs are bad, if you want to sniper mech use the Blackjack with a PPC+AC/5. Turn the Vindicator into a great little brawler with 5mlas+SRM6+slas.
- That Blackjack is okayish as is but you could drop the AC10 to an AC5 and pack more armor, or do the sniper I mentioned before.
- Shadowhawk looks okay. Not much else you can do with it.
- Cent-A can make a great brawler but LRM platform is good too. Try switching to a more efficient 15+15+15 LRM spread at least, but you could pack more armor so it is able to draw fire away from your other mechs.

Make sure you're not over-armoring the back.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Section Z posted:

You could double down on damage and "Learn to position better"™ but I rode out the early game hump by favoring armor and/or jets over max firepower. 30 LRM + jets Cent. AC5, 2 SRM4, ML with jets Shadowhawk. Single AC5+4 Mlasers Blackjack (and never deciding if I want jets or not).

Things turned around real fast in uptime because a mission taking slightly longer but with less/no internal damage lets you chain missions. Chaining missions is the big deal real money maker, not selling the occasional spare locust or spider you scrounge together. And in the early game your repair times are garbage so even taking a light tickle to the arm structure is a pain.

Repair/Mod times finally start to reach what feels like "Default" rather than "Handicap" once you have the Argo's Second Mechbay+Automation. Automation specifically, because that solves the random fires event with the amazing lostech of sprinklers.

See, I've got the Argo upgrades and all that, I'm just facing down a mission with a 2x Hunchbacks, a Thunderbolt, a Cicada, a Griffin, and a Demolisher.

At two skulls...

It may be time to abandon since no matter how much I try to kite or position, I get enveloped. I can take down the Cicada and the Demolisher, usually, but attrition gets to me thanks to those drat Hunchbacks. Just wasn't sure if I was :downs:ing the loadouts here.

Conspiratiorist posted:

- PPCs are bad, if you want to sniper mech use the Blackjack with a PPC+AC/5. Turn the Vindicator into a great little brawler with 5mlas+SRM6+slas.
- That Blackjack is okayish as is but you could drop the AC10 to an AC5 and pack more armor, or do the sniper I mentioned before.
- Shadowhawk looks okay. Not much else you can do with it.
- Cent-A can make a great brawler but LRM platform is good too. Try switching to a more efficient 15+15+15 LRM spread at least, but you could pack more armor so it is able to draw fire away from your other mechs.

Make sure you're not over-armoring the back.

This is good to know, ty. I'm really not happy with the Vindicator so I will definitely refit.

I also have a Trebuchet I could use instead of the Centurion, but I really like the LRM loadout on the Cent so far. I've got a LRM20++ so I may keep that running and just downgrade the LRM15 to a LRM10 for heat and armor.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 3, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
It would be a simple matter to replace one of the variants with the 3S, even changing the UI name to 3S but leaving the data lines alone. That way, you'll see it in combat and enemy lances.

Edit: sorry, banshee talk from up thread

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 3, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Famethrowa posted:

See, I've got the Argo upgrades and all that, I'm just facing down a mission with a 2x Hunchbacks, a Thunderbolt, a Cicada, a Griffin, and a Demolisher.

At two skulls...

It may be time to abandon since no matter how much I try to kite or position, I get enveloped. I can take down the Cicada and the Demolisher, usually, but attrition gets to me thanks to those drat Hunchbacks. Just wasn't sure if I was :downs:ing the loadouts here.
Thunerbolts in particular have ammo in the CT stock. So this makes fighting them easier than expected once you remember that at least.

EDIT: AC20 hunchbacks keep their ammo in the opposite torso of their gun, so those guys your called shots should not be aimed at the scary gun, which can be counter intuitive until you start reading the paper doll pop up tooltips.

"Melee the tank" is entirely dependent on if it's a partial armor or full armor demolisher, and what your mech's melee stat is. Shadowhawks have a cool 85 melee. Blackjacks have garbage melee. Heavy mechs with no arms have garbage melee.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 3, 2018

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
Early game I ran a Cent and Shadowhawk as LRM boats with a Jenner as a spotter / backstabber and a Wolverine as a spotter/tank. Reserve your mediums so you're shooting after the enemy mediums. Knockdown a target with LRM spam and finish it off with CT shots before it can get back on its feet.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Famethrowa posted:

This is good to know, ty. I'm really not happy with the Vindicator so I will definitely refit.

I also have a Trebuchet I could use instead of the Centurion, but I really like the LRM loadout on the Cent so far. I've got a LRM20++ so I may keep that running and just downgrade the LRM15 to a LRM10 for heat and armor.

Compared to the rest of the 50 tonners, Trebuchet trades 5 whole tons of space to gain a little extra speed (equal to Shadowhawk movement). It's not a good trade.

If you've got a bonused LRM20 then yeah keep it, but LRM10s are worse than LRM15/LRM5, so if you want to more room then do 20+15+5.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Dual AC-5s make for a great Blackjack loadout if you want to mess around at longer range.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Ravenfood posted:

Dual AC-5s make for a great Blackjack loadout if you want to mess around at longer range.

That's only 20 heat so it's inefficient, wasting part of the base dissipation of 30.

AC5+PPC works because it generates 50 total, so only 20 heat minus whatever heatsinks added (assuming the same tonnage used, then 2 heatsinks for 16 heat generation net).

Maybe if you're jumping max JJ distance every single turn, but otherwise it's worthwhile to generate some heat for extra punch, because what the hell will you do with your heat.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Sounds like dual AC-5s is a great loadout for hot biomes.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

That's only 20 heat so it's inefficient, wasting part of the base dissipation of 30.

AC5+PPC works because it generates 50 total, so only 20 heat minus whatever heatsinks added (assuming the same tonnage used, then 2 heatsinks for 16 heat generation net).

Maybe if you're jumping max JJ distance every single turn, but otherwise it's worthwhile to generate some heat for extra punch, because what the hell will you do with your heat.
I jump around a lot, yeah, and I feel like more terrain impairs heat sinking than helps, and when it is impaired, its worse. Taking your mech into a lunar environment would loving suck and early on, I didn't really have enough mechs to keep spare loadouts around for different terrain so I tended to err on the side of being heat-safe.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I built an incredible Dragon earlier today: AC20, 2 tons of ammo, 2ML, the rest of tonnage goes into armor. It kinda owns.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Conspiratiorist posted:

Maybe if you're jumping max JJ distance every single turn,

You aren't?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Bulwark

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Jump jet max evasion Grasshopper is legit fun though, you can use the morale defense ability to really be a bastard.

I do it with the Atlas-2 too!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The max Jump Jets are for the turns you need to move to a shoot gooder spot :pseudo:

But seriously, while Bulwark/Breach was a given for my snipers. God drat did I love Bulwark/Ace Pilot brawlers. Accuracy is garbage for your bulwarked AC20 Orion or Disco Grasshopper? Why not get 5 evasive pips while jumping to a 80-95% spot!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

95 tons is the optimal weight for a 3/5 mech with respect to available tonnage for firepower. It more efficiently delivers it's payload than an equivalent speed 90 or 100 tonner. It's not a day/night difference, but it is fractionally better.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

The max Jump Jets are for the turns you need to move to a shoot gooder spot :pseudo:

But seriously, while Bulwark/Breach was a given for my snipers. God drat did I love Bulwark/Ace Pilot brawlers. Accuracy is garbage for your bulwarked AC20 Orion or Disco Grasshopper? Why not get 5 evasive pips while jumping to a 80-95% spot!
To agree in greater detail, bulwark is still a good, nearly essential brawler mech skill, but JJ + vigilance is extremely useful even if you have bulwark, especially once you're largely fielding assaults and exploiting the knockdown/stability meta for free called shots. My brawling assaults always have JJ because they can't move for poo poo without them and it opens up a ton of defensive and offensive positioning that, if nothing else, speeds up fights significantly. You can build assaults with JJs and still have room for near-heat stability, max frontal armor, and enough damage to core anything that's lying on the ground - at that point, extra damage isn't helping you as much as being able to move and apply that damage effectively.

And I say nearly essential because bulwark on a grasshopper or similarly built mech is a waste - your three actions should be sprinting to position (when you're not going to be shot at), jumping and entrenching, or jumping and using vigilance and shooting.

I've even dropped bulwark from my LRM-boat pilots and have trained up strikers instead (multishot + sensor/master tactician) because breaching shot and bulwark aren't really that useful when all you're doing is knocking fuckers down with missiles - but being able to knock down and core assaults with other assaults before you get to phase 1 is pretty rad (or reserving and leaving a bunch of enemies unsteady knowing that you'll get to KD and core them the following turn before they go). Don't get me wrong, I ran bulwark on my back lines when there were still surprises in the game, but once you're just farming 5 skulls while looking for rare parts at stores, your priorities change and the min-maxing centers more around moving missions along without much fuss. Styling on 4 skull missions with 2 disco grasshoppers, a melee banshee, and a DFA highlander is fun, but it's not a good plan when you're up against ~800t of mechs or shitloads of demolishers on a 5 skull.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 4, 2018

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
I've got a mindboggingly stupid bug. I'm playing the RogueTech mod, and I can't progress. I got 8 priority salvage items from a mission, however there are only 7 spots in the after mission menu. I can't advance with less than 8 items, but I also can't physically select the eighth item >.>

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

IAmThatIs posted:

I've got a mindboggingly stupid bug. I'm playing the RogueTech mod, and I can't progress. I got 8 priority salvage items from a mission, however there are only 7 spots in the after mission menu. I can't advance with less than 8 items, but I also can't physically select the eighth item >.>

Someone has fixed this on the Mod you're using. Maybe upgrading the mod will fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

aparmenideanmonad posted:

To agree in greater detail, bulwark is still a good, nearly essential brawler mech skill, but JJ + vigilance is extremely useful even if you have bulwark,

A skill that gives you damage reduction isn't as good as 2 skills used together that give you damage reduction, stability resist and evasion at the cost of a semi limited resource? You don't say.