Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Those are some dumb drug dealers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
In the spirit of the thread, shouldn't cop stories be about *cops* doing dumb things?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

In the spirit of the thread, shouldn't cop stories be about *cops* doing dumb things?

That's true.
My sister's idiot ex husband was a cop in a small mining town. This is the same idiot who quit a campus police job at one of the state universities in his first week because the other cops were mean to him :qq:

In small crappy mining town, they got a warrant to arrest someone and search a home on suspicion of drug dealing. This town is so small and crappy, the county doesn't even have a SWAT team. So, tiny PD of like 5 people are all hands on deck to execute this warrant. This turns into a police raid that would work great with a Yakkety Sax soundtrack.
They set up to smash in the front and back doors at the same time to make entry in the early morning. They have a ram up front and will kick in the back door.
The ram punches through the cheap front door without opening it, and gets stuck.
The two guys on the back door don't do much better. One of the guys kicks through the door and gets his foot stuck in it. The other guy breaks the window on the door to reach through and unlock it from the inside, but cuts up his hands doing so and is unable to open it.
Their suspect, a middle aged dude sleeping on the couch in his undies is shouting back for them to chill out and he'll come open the door. He ambles over and unlocks the front door, which the cops push open with the ram still stuck inside it. He immediately surrenders, and it turns out the guy they were looking for wasn't even there.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

The first idiot story just sounded like a 'lol tranny prostitute' story.

Since idiot cop stories are allowed, here is one from Nepal during the civil war.

My father at the time was involved with the internal intelligence service which was part of the police force. He had a team that was involved with arresting and removing people involved with the Maoist movement at the time. His team was also one of the first to include women in frontline tasks and were given higher ranks (the women) in the police force (it was a big deal since nepal is really regressive on alot of things). In a western district of Nepal they got intelegence that a local Maoist commander who was in hiding would frequent a brothel in town and was in charge of local activities, so they set up an operation to nab him. So they sent one of the woman in the team as a new virgin hire at the brothel to get the Maoist dude.

So my father and his team bust into the brothel with his femal team member telling them he was there. It turns out it's my father's old police academy friend. After a night of interrogation and questioning the personel at the local police headquarters it turns out the 'Maoist commander'/owner of the brothel/head of police in the district, was all the same person. Turns out, the theft of resources and destruction of government property was organized and perpetrated by the police chief in the district and he was also leading most of the brothel and smuggling activities in the area.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 3, 2018

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Also this lady that I know has iced a whole bunch of dudes works as a nanny in America now. She is really nice and make awesome momos. She is also more leftwing than the Maoists now with regards to her politcs.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 3, 2018

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I'm personally okay with it being about dumb suspects/civilians, because lord knows it's not like there's been a plethora of military dumbass stories lately. But I'm a civvie, so :shrug:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

canyoneer posted:

That's true.
My sister's idiot ex husband was a cop in a small mining town. This is the same idiot who quit a campus police job at one of the state universities in his first week because the other cops were mean to him :qq:

In small crappy mining town, they got a warrant to arrest someone and search a home on suspicion of drug dealing. This town is so small and crappy, the county doesn't even have a SWAT team. So, tiny PD of like 5 people are all hands on deck to execute this warrant. This turns into a police raid that would work great with a Yakkety Sax soundtrack.
They set up to smash in the front and back doors at the same time to make entry in the early morning. They have a ram up front and will kick in the back door.
The ram punches through the cheap front door without opening it, and gets stuck.
The two guys on the back door don't do much better. One of the guys kicks through the door and gets his foot stuck in it. The other guy breaks the window on the door to reach through and unlock it from the inside, but cuts up his hands doing so and is unable to open it.
Their suspect, a middle aged dude sleeping on the couch in his undies is shouting back for them to chill out and he'll come open the door. He ambles over and unlocks the front door, which the cops push open with the ram still stuck inside it. He immediately surrenders, and it turns out the guy they were looking for wasn't even there.

So it would have been better if a heavily armed SWAT team had rolled up on this innocent sleeping dude??? Why would you use a SWAT team to serve warrants like that?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

my kinda ape posted:

So it would have been better if a heavily armed SWAT team had rolled up on this innocent sleeping dude??? Why would you use a SWAT team to serve warrants like that?

It’s really common for cops to get no-knock warrants as an excuse to go Rambo and feel like a badass breaking property and smashing jaws and throwing grenades into cribs.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

It’s really common for cops to get no-knock warrants as an excuse to go Rambo and feel like a badass breaking property and smashing jaws and throwing grenades into cribs.

Yeah but so would I.

If someone gave me a legal writ to go bust some dude's door down I wouldn't even ask why I was doing it. It'd be a very big "hold my beer" moment.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I had the legal authority to destroy every door I came across in Iraq. I didn't, because it's an rear end in a top hat thing to do unless you have to. Those people on the inside, if they weren't so before, will be your enemies. You already have to violate their sense of home, do you have to destroy the thing that is supposed to be line of safety? Plus, we had to pay for the doors, which means money being spent from the infrastructure fund. Stateside cops don't have that particular problem, because they don't pay for poo poo, but it's a super lovely thing to do unless absolutely required.

That being said- getting to gently caress up other people's poo poo- when justified- is fun as gently caress. The only time I ever wanted to be a coked up rock star.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Maybe if we paid for all of the damages and wrongful death settlement money out of the police pension funds then they wouldn't be running around like insane deathsquads.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

for reals tho my pension is fuckin incredible but there's departments out there that pay $12 a hour with zero benefits which sounds about right for the idiot thread

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Smiling Jack posted:

for reals tho my pension is fuckin incredible but there's departments out there that pay $12 a hour with zero benefits which sounds about right for the idiot thread

poo poo, there are unpaid cops in Ohio.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Flikken posted:

poo poo, there are unpaid cops in Ohio.

Volunteer reserves aren't that uncommon. Or are you talking about something else?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

my kinda ape posted:

Maybe if we paid for all of the damages and wrongful death settlement money out of the police pension funds then they wouldn't be running around like insane deathsquads.

A finger on the monkey’s paw curls inward as the police pension fund is suddenly increased through civil asset forfeiture.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

DoktorLoken posted:

Volunteer reserves aren't that uncommon. Or are you talking about something else?

In Ohio after you graduate an academy you have a year to find a job to hold your commission, a lot of small departments take an advantage of that. To hold a commission you have to work a certain number of hours a month, so these departments will staff up a lot of part time and unpaid positions of guys that are looking to find their first big department job.

It's a loving racket.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That’s a hell of a bribery incentive.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
One of my friends from work is going active duty army from the reserves (dumb), and is talking about how him and his girlfriend of about a month are getting married at a courthouse next week so he can live off base with her. Everyone is telling him not to do it. He isn’t listening. I don’t think they ever listen.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I had the legal authority to destroy every door I came across in Iraq. I didn't, because it's an rear end in a top hat thing to do unless you have to. Those people on the inside, if they weren't so before, will be your enemies. You already have to violate their sense of home, do you have to destroy the thing that is supposed to be line of safety? Plus, we had to pay for the doors, which means money being spent from the infrastructure fund. Stateside cops don't have that particular problem, because they don't pay for poo poo, but it's a super lovely thing to do unless absolutely required.

That being said- getting to gently caress up other people's poo poo- when justified- is fun as gently caress. The only time I ever wanted to be a coked up rock star.

I’ve booted a few doors as an EMT and it’s always fun as hell. I was the only one to carry lockpicks so I didn’t have to break stuff that someone on a fixed income would have to fix, though.

E:Lockpicks are fun when you get lucky with a rake and your coworkers think you’ve got mad skills for opening a lock in five seconds, or when they think you’re the greatest for spending ninety minutes opening the snack cabinet that has Fort Knox kind of security on it.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 3, 2018

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1003327292762918918

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

“Whoops! Wasn’t me!”

Wanders off.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Man, if I was knew I was gonna get a $Texas settlement because I got winged by a dumbass Fed I'd be in "good" condition too.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Posted in the discord yesterday about it, but one of the guys I used to hang out with in high school just graduated from Marine Corps basic on Friday, and is headed to the SOI. He's 28. Got a meritorious promotion to PFC though!

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

A Bad Poster posted:

Posted in the discord yesterday about it, but one of the guys I used to hang out with in high school just graduated from Marine Corps basic on Friday, and is headed to the SOI. He's 28. Got a meritorious promotion to PFC though!

haha gently caress

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Apparently some cop shot himself in san diego in a standoff with some girl and an airsoft rifle or something.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Soulex posted:

Apparently some cop shot himself in san diego in a standoff with some girl and an airsoft rifle or something.

So if he calls 1-800-COP-SHOT he get to collect the money?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Soulex posted:

Uh... how does that work...

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

A Bad Poster posted:

I went to bootcamp with a 30 something year old ex-navy EOD. He got tired of the Navy and split. After 2 years out he was done with civilian life but hated the Navy so he joined the Marines. He didn't even try to get any kind of meritorious promotion or anything because he was going to get a bump up to E-6 (Or E-5, can't remember exactly) after MOS school. So he graduated as a private with no rank on his arms but a more impressive fruit salad than half the Drill Instructors.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm not sure. Apparently it was an accidental discharge. No backflip involved.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

CainFortea posted:

I went to bootcamp with a 30 something year old ex-navy EOD. He got tired of the Navy and split. After 2 years out he was done with civilian life but hated the Navy so he joined the Marines. He didn't even try to get any kind of meritorious promotion or anything because he was going to get a bump up to E-6 (Or E-5, can't remember exactly) after MOS school. So he graduated as a private with no rank on his arms but a more impressive fruit salad than half the Drill Instructors.

lol how the gently caress do you transfer services and come in as an E-1. Why would you ever sign up for that? There were ex AF/Navy E-5s in my Army BCT/AIT who wore their NCO rank the whole time.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DoktorLoken posted:

lol how the gently caress do you transfer services and come in as an E-1. Why would you ever sign up for that? There were ex AF/Navy E-5s in my Army BCT/AIT who wore their NCO rank the whole time.

I asked him that, and apparently he was out for too long and they wouldn't just let him transfer over. This was in the 90s too, so who knows how much poo poo has changed.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, I think 2 years out and that rank goes away.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It'd be really funny to see a prior service DS go back to BCT as an E-3/E-4 wearing a DS badge. That'd probably be among the greatest Army moments.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

I imagine it was something like 2:17 in this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wOx5Qz5njQ&t=137s

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Going into the Marines from any other branch, you don’t get to keep your former rank, unlike when I went into the Army last spring, there were about 50 of us prior service guys wearing stripes and still getting yelled at by DSs.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Soulex posted:

Is there any risk of them trying to pull the “You get charged with anything that happens during the course of a crime” thing to charge her with the self-inflicted injury?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

DoktorLoken posted:

It'd be really funny to see a prior service DS go back to BCT as an E-3/E-4 wearing a DS badge. That'd probably be among the greatest Army moments.

We had an e-3 with a pumpkin patch in my ait

He got knocked down for fuckin a trainee

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

chitoryu12 posted:

Is there any risk of them trying to pull the “You get charged with anything that happens during the course of a crime” thing to charge her with the self-inflicted injury?

As far as I know they can and often will charge you with any conceivable crime that happens during the course of you committing a felony, no matter how wildly outside of your control it might be. Cops don't have control of their own actions and if you hadn't been doing that then he wouldn't have been tempted to shoot his own dick off.

Not all states have those laws though IIRC.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 4, 2018

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Soulex posted:

accidental discharge

no such thing

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Memento posted:

no such thing

It happens to lots of older men, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Vengarr posted:

It happens to lots of older men, actually

Saying it helps you get away with it...