Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Memento posted:

I honestly thought vimeo videos could be embedded now? Maybe that was something else.
We still need to add [video] tags around vimeo urls. Thanks for the updates!
https://vimeo.com/273229166

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

quote:

Volcan de Fuego, or “Volcano of Fire,”

Can I just say this is an awful name

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Right next to the Lake of Water

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Moto42 posted:

So, with the 'straight from the mantle' magma thing, what's the over under on this becoming just the new place that's constantly spewing lava and that whole region is just perma-hosed?
I guess it'd be 0.5 since you're betting on either yes or no here.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Literally calling the thing "autopilot" is dumb as hell and I'm surprised that alone hasn't opened up the lawsuit floodgates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93OfrUek-G4

Nebakenezzer posted:

Can I just say this is an awful name

There's a mountain in Arizona outside of Phoenix called Table Mesa.

Rio Grande is also pretty terrible.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Phanatic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93OfrUek-G4

There's a mountain in Arizona outside of Phoenix called Table Mesa.

Stone Mountain is in Georgia

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Why? :confused:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

A Belarusian named Ivan Krasouski crashed into a tree while riding a homemade ultralight aircraft and got impaled by a four loving inch branch. Posting a link from the most appropriate medium for this type of story, :nws: for gore.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6441582/man-impaled-tree-branch-homemade-flying-machine-crashed-forest/

quote:

WHAT A PLANK Bloke impaled on a huge tree branch when he crashed homemade flying machine in a forest laughs off his gruesome injury

quote:

The 36-year-old joked he was like the US superhero Groot.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!

"What do you call that river?"

"Oh, the big one over there? We call that one Big River."

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Next you're gonna tell me that Grand Teton is badly named

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

They're just pretty good.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Phanatic posted:

Why not?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I like the paradise watermark on a video of lava destroying homes

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

I'd call it 'The New Nile, it's Not Just a River in Egypt Anymore.'

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

tactlessbastard posted:

I like the paradise watermark on a video of lava destroying homes

Well it's not destroying the helicopter, is it? I'd say it's a pretty good ad for helicopters.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Helicopters: Can fly above ground, water and lava.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Phanatic posted:

"Your finger, you fool"

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Okay now I want to know what mods a hovercraft would need to survive a trip across lava.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

Okay now I want to know what mods a hovercraft would need to survive a trip across lava.

Actual anti-gravity technology. Hovercraft are still in contact with the ground in order to maintain a cushion of air. No flexible skirt is going to survive contact with lava.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
How about an asbestos skirt ?... We're in the OSHA thread afterall

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Phanatic posted:

My favorite is the New River, which I once went kayaking down.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Leviathan Song posted:

Actual anti-gravity technology. Hovercraft are still in contact with the ground in order to maintain a cushion of air. No flexible skirt is going to survive contact with lava.

There are plenty of refractory materials that can withstand the temperature of molten rock. A skirt made from thousands of interlocking zirconium ceramic tiles, perhaps?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Memento posted:

Also, I've carried a pistol before while in the Army Reserves, and I never dropped the loving thing even when I was jumping out of a plane. Plenty of guys in TFR carry daily with good quality holsters and don't lose their guns. I'm pretty sure there was a spate of police officers and security guards losing their service weapon by leaving it on a shelf or whatever while they were taking a poo poo in a public toilet and forgetting it was there.

Yeah, even a passive retention holster like Kydex shouldn’t cause the gun to flip out like that. He’s probably just stuffing it in his waistband.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

There are plenty of refractory materials that can withstand the temperature of molten rock. A skirt made from thousands of interlocking zirconium ceramic tiles, perhaps?

Some combination of this with the asbestos fabric might be airtight enough.

After that, you would need blowers that can withstand the corrosive atmosphere and ash so probably something with high strength ceramic blades. That's expensive but possible.

Finally, engines to run the blowers that would survive in that atmosphere but that's probably the easiest part. You could just carry an oxidizer rather than making it air breathing.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Megillah Gorilla posted:

"Your finger, you fool"

Torpenhow Hill

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

My vote is for a mithril hovercraft.

I think Look to Windward had a chapter about how terrible an idea lava rafting would be.

Leviathan Song posted:

Some combination of this with the asbestos fabric might be airtight enough.

After that, you would need blowers that can withstand the corrosive atmosphere and ash so probably something with high strength ceramic blades. That's expensive but possible.

Finally, engines to run the blowers that would survive in that atmosphere but that's probably the easiest part. You could just carry an oxidizer rather than making it air breathing.

Don't forget to factor in the melting point of your passengers.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
You could probably make a good enough skirt using carbon fiber, something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S1R9D6Q would do, perhaps a fancier Silicon carbide coated fiber if you want to go really fancy.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Nothing beats the la brea tar pits for redundancy because it even doubled up on articles

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Kafouille posted:

You could probably make a good enough skirt using carbon fiber, something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S1R9D6Q would do, perhaps a fancier Silicon carbide coated fiber if you want to go really fancy.

Some lava is going to exceed the melting point of carbon fiber, most is going to screw with it's structural integrity, I think you'll have to stick with the asbestos.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

So there has been at least one case of someone falling into an active lava flow and then crawling back out. Lava was only 500 degrees, but still.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 4, 2018

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Leviathan Song posted:

Some lava is going to exceed the melting point of carbon fiber, most is going to screw with it's structural integrity, I think you'll have to stick with the asbestos.

If you want to go surf on the really hot flows Silicon Carbide coated CF retains tensile strength to 1500C, that should be good enough for anything you'll get on Earth. Asbestos starts to lose strengh at about 800C or so.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Just make the bottom of the lava hovercraft the stuff they make black boxes in airplanes out of

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Just lower the melting temperature of basaltic rock.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Somebody didn't practice enough as a kid

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Just make the bottom of the lava hovercraft the stuff they make black boxes in airplanes out of

Make the hovercraft out of lava.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Leviathan Song posted:

Most carbon fiber is only useful because it's held in place by resin, and the temperature at which it becomes useless is *real low*

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

duz posted:

Make the hovercraft out of lava.

If you figured out the heat resistant skirt you could probably power it by blowing water below it and flash boiling it.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

quote:

The 36-year-old joked he was like the US superhero Groot.

I was thinking Wash from Serenity, but

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Bip Roberts posted:

If you figured out the heat resistant skirt you could probably power it by blowing water below it and flash boiling it.

...could you combine it with some sort of Hot Air Balloon tech, and keep yourself hovering 20 feet above the lava with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bip Roberts posted:

You're constantly blowing cold air over the skirt - would that keep it cool enough?