Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
lol. android phones get hosed up by default when modified. that’d be like buying a car and the windows stop working after you put gas in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

yeah something about google or someone licensing a patented way to control the read of the image sensor to dramatically cut noise. I can't remember if it is rooting or a custom rom which triggers the camera module to wipe the code which actually caused it to work.

at least the camera stuff is reversible afaik I know. Samsung phones have electronic fuses which irreversibly disable all Knox-related secure processing functions upon detecting rooting.

it was specifically sony iirc that used some proprietary camera drivers or something

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You also can't easily access multiple cameras on a single device but I think they're fixing that soon

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Shifty Pony posted:

do android phones still do that that thing where the camera becomes poo poo if you root them?

because that was funny.

Sony's do that if you unlock the bootloader and don't save a particular partition beforehand. XDA calls it a DRM partition but god knows if that's what it actually is.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

President Beep posted:

lol. android phones get hosed up by default when modified. that’d be like buying a car and the windows stop working after you put gas in it.

cars have firmware too, flashing random poo poo probably doesn't have good outcomes

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Dodoman posted:

Sony's do that if you unlock the bootloader and don't save a particular partition beforehand. XDA calls it a DRM partition but god knows if that's what it actually is.

Seems real strange for drm to screw up your camera and not actually do anything else. And also be really trivial to circumvent if you know it's there.

More likely a combination of needing a place to store camera calibration data, plus being kinda lazy and having no reason to give a gently caress about the user experience of people who unlock their bootloader.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

There are binary blobs that handle the software rendering or contain certain drivers or something like that that only work with the stock rom. You can still take pictures they just come out worse

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

wait dis someone seriously compare completely replacing a phones operating system with putting gas in their car?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
it's something you have to do about once a week?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

:iiaca:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

android is the Tesla of telephones

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Endless Mike posted:

wait dis someone seriously compare completely replacing a phones operating system with putting gas in their car?

my “joke” was that people with cars regularly put gas in them, much like people with android phones regularly flash them.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

but now it’s loving ruined. >:[

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Jabor posted:

Seems real strange for drm to screw up your camera and not actually do anything else. And also be really trivial to circumvent if you know it's there.

More likely a combination of needing a place to store camera calibration data, plus being kinda lazy and having no reason to give a gently caress about the user experience of people who unlock their bootloader.

it’s probably a spy/malware partition phoning home and in case of a factory reset attempts to reinstall the spyware

also not giving a gently caress about people who unlocks boot loaders is never not a good call

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
on the Google Pixel unlocking the bootloader is literally a little checkbox in the settings menu lol

Anyway flashing custom roms is pretty stupid but rooting isn't, welp cya

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my phone randomly turned off and seemed to be stuck on the boot splash screen. because it is an android, i assumed that I had bought another phone with a bootloop issue. I was upset, but just kind of resigned to it

turns out everything was fine and it was just updating or something for a while :kiddo:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

...it is an android
.. it was just updating

something doesn't add up here

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

This is a fan, for your smartphone

This is a dock, for your smartphone

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

infernal machines posted:

i can't find it so just pretend i posted kirk_razor_meltdown.txt

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i still don't understand why companies think people want this phone that docks into a tablet that docks into a laptop that docks into a desktop

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

so, the fan just blows onto the back of the phone case? will that even do anything?

also, "republic of games" is some dumb poo poo.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

i still don't understand why companies think people want this phone that docks into a tablet that docks into a laptop that docks into a desktop

read the comments

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Endless Mike posted:

its just one of those perpetual nerdgasm ideas that never seems to die no matter how impractical or unwanted it is by the rest of the market (see also: modular phones)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what if i could bring my sick rear end 2fast2furious pcgaming master station with me, in my pocket?

it wouldn't matter that it runs like poo poo and is huge and requires a dock to use wherever i'm at, it would be fully loving sick!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

President Beep posted:

so, the fan just blows onto the back of the phone case? will that even do anything?

also, "republic of games" is some dumb poo poo.
yeah, it will offer some small cooling improvements. like, enough to maybe keep it from slowing down for an extra few minutes

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

read the comments

you can't make me

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

:trumppop:

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
The fan thing is stupid, the dock is ridiculous but the snap in joystick thing at least has a function and would probably work decently(just lol @ it requiring a GAMAR PHWN)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

why would a normal person need to attach joycons to their phone?

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Because it's more comfortable to play action games like that and people do play said action games (Fortnite being the most obvious example)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

hobbesmaster posted:

cars have firmware too, flashing random poo poo probably doesn't have good outcomes

unless its a VW diesel, in which case you can zero out large portions of the ECU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lmao if you squeeze the sides it turns on XTREEM GAMER MODE and it changes the theme from blue to red

it has vapor cooling

and there is an accessory to add a second screen

docking and connecting to a monitor just gives you a giant phone screen on a monitor, complete with on-screen navigation buttons

quote:

It’s impossible not to be impressed by the sheer amount of thought and engineering that Asus poured into the ROG Phone. This device and its mini ecosystem of gamer-friendly accessories have clearly been in the works for a while. It’s one of the most sincere and ambitious efforts to make Android gaming phones a legitimate category in its own right. I still think the task is an uphill one, but Asus deserves credit for putting its best foot forward.
:wrong:

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

unless its a VW diesel, in which case you can zero out large portions of the ECU

Is that what the car does on its own whenever it senses an emissions test starting?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

TimWinter posted:

Is that what the car does on its own whenever it senses an emissions test starting?

Yeah, the guy who reverse engineered the ECU and nailed them did his own re-flash of it after he figured out what they did. Basically it would only run the emissions system (DEF injection, particulate burn-off cycle, cam profile adjustment, whatever else) if it was within a fairly tight profile of the test cycle based on vehicle speed, distance traveled, etc because those were clearly documented by the EU and the second you strayed outside that it went "Emissions_Systems==No" and went back to spewing poo poo in the air until the next time the engine started. So he blanked out all the code blocks that defined the test cycle detection so it always thought it was in one and: it was fine.

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 4, 2018

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
i got root on my car and installed an ecu ROM from xda

I could run emulators but then it crashed

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

just lol if u dont turn all of ur insturments into clocks

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

i can't find it so just pretend i posted kirk_razor_meltdown.txt

a man dips his fingers in fetid rear end sweat and rubs of line of it on my forehead

"republic of gamers" he murmurs

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

President Beep posted:

Chevrolet Made An Air Conditioner Just for Your Smartphone

also, big nerd alert here but i would buy a little clip/connector for phone gaming if it fit the following:
-fits my phone
-fits a good gamepad that i already have (e.g. xbone with Bluetooth pad)
-lets me play ergonomically in some regular sitting/reclining position(s)
-i can get the pad to work with emulators

im sure i could spend a lot of time making something out of a coathanger and doing ROMZ for the gamepad input but no thank you im not 15 anymore

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

when I drive I have a vent clip to keep my iPhone X cool while it runs gps and overcast on max brightness while charging, works great and I don’t have to drive a GM

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i didnt ask for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

every time i try to write a joke about the asus phone, my brain reboots.