Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The SCOTUS is in dire need of a majority of liberals/non-theocrats because we're one liberal retirement/death away from a loving ruling that outright declares the US a Christian Theocracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Taerkar posted:

Or say being a county clerk and refuse to sign off on marriage licenses for TEH GAYZ.

I think you'll find that FOR SOME REASON this only applies if said "Sincerely Held Beliefs" are American Christianity in nature.

See the various issues with the niqab and drivers licenses.

They'll give lip service to other religion's ideas, but only the ones that are conveniently tangential to Christianity.

hobbesmaster posted:

I mean it is kinda important that the government at least appear to be impartial, thats probably why this was a 7-2.

Unfortunately SCOTUS doesn't know that :decorum: is dead but give it time.

I get what you're saying and it's probably the technically correct approach, but it's pretty laughable from a practical perspective given that there are a huge number of anti-gay laws calling gay sex a "crime against nature" in state books right now. They might be currently unenforceable, but there they are.

Evil Fluffy posted:

The SCOTUS is in dire need of a majority of liberals/non-theocrats because we're one liberal retirement/death away from a loving ruling that outright declares the US a Christian Theocracy.

Pretty much this - SCOTUS's Overton window is currently to the right of Americans in general, and is in danger of moving precipitously to the right.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 4, 2018

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Right now you have 4 conservative Justices who for the most part follow whatever the GOP orthodoxy is, and then there's Clarence Thomas who will usually sign on to their crap because according to him the Constitution didn't change after 1789. Kennedy will break ranks for gay rights on occasion but he does not have a good history with cases involving religion.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Hopefully at least the various people who have to shoot down the bigots' challenges will be able to read Kagan's concurrence as a guide for how to use anti-discrimination laws to prohibit bigotry without also having to allow other forms of bigotry-trolling (i.e. the guy who wanted anti-gay-marriage cakes).
I don't think you can draw that line without making a value judgment about which religious beliefs are valid. If Masterpiece Bake Shop is required to produce a cake that says, "Craig and Mullins, gay married forever" then then Christian trolls can go into a Muslim bakery and request a cake saying "Jesus is Lord above all others".

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't think you can draw that line without making a value judgment about which religious beliefs are valid. If Masterpiece Bake Shop is required to produce a cake that says, "Craig and Mullins, gay married forever" then then trolls can go into a Muslim bakery and request a cake saying "Jesus is Lord above all others".

masterpiece bake shop refused to make any cake at all, not a cake with a specific message about gay marriage on it

that's why it was specifically different from the bakers who refused to bake cakes with anti-gay slogans on it: masterpiece refused because of who the clients were, not the message

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't think you can draw that line without making a value judgment about which religious beliefs are valid. If Masterpiece Bake Shop is required to produce a cake that says, "Craig and Mullins, gay married forever" then then Christian trolls can go into a Muslim bakery and request a cake saying "Jesus is Lord above all others".

Well, the issue in Masterpiece Bake Shop is that the shop refused to bake any cake for a gay couple at all. It wasn't about the artistic content of the decorations, it was about who the cake was being sold to. Kagan specifically highlights that in her concurrence, in fact.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

evilweasel posted:

masterpiece bake shop refused to make any cake at all, not a cake with a specific message about gay marriage on it

that's why it was specifically different from the bakers who refused to bake cakes with anti-gay slogans on it: masterpiece refused because of who the clients were, not the message

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, the issue in Masterpiece Bake Shop is that the shop refused to bake any cake for a gay couple at all. It wasn't about the artistic content of the decorations, it was about who the cake was being sold to. Kagan specifically highlights that in her concurrence, in fact.
The decision says that there was dispute on this matter, with Masterpiece claiming they were willing to sell generic cakes or birthday cakes to gay people, but were unwilling to produce a custom cake for a gay wedding. If that's the case, I think it's hard to argue that they weren't willing to serve gay people.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dead Reckoning posted:

The decision says that there was dispute on this matter, with Masterpiece claiming they were willing to sell generic cakes or birthday cakes to gay people, but were unwilling to produce a custom cake for a gay wedding. If that's the case, I think it's hard to argue that they weren't willing to serve gay people.

Every wedding cake is custom from a bakery like that. They were refusing to make any wedding cake and were offering off the shelf birthday cakes as a substitute.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

They were unwilling to create any cake for a gay wedding. If I went in and ordered a three-tier yellow cake with white icing and flowers, if I'm straight they will make and sell that cake to me. If I'm gay, they will not make that exact cake for me. When they say they won't make a custom cake, they won't make any sort of custom cake: they don't just refuse to write "Adam & Steve".

The record was clear enough on that point that if people didn't want to be confused they wouldn't have been. The confusion was tactical, to obscure what "custom cake" meant and to imply (without any basis in the record) it meant "ADAM AND STEVE GAY MARRIED FOREVER"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kansas' medical licensure board is something along the lines of "Kansas Board of Healing Arts" which may pave the way for some hilarious attempts to claim medical care/services are artistic expression.

It's 2018, don't act like this is all that far-fetched :colbert:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

Kansas' medical licensure board is something along the lines of "Kansas Board of Healing Arts" which may pave the way for some hilarious attempts to claim medical care/services are artistic expression.

It's 2018, don't act like this is all that far-fetched :colbert:

You might already be aware of this, but doctors often refuse to see transgender patients for routine care and there's a new HHS "Conscience and Religious Freedom Division" which will likely make the problem worse.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Every wedding cake is custom from a bakery like that. They were refusing to make any wedding cake and were offering off the shelf birthday cakes as a substitute.

From the decision: "One of the difficulties in this case is that the parties disagree as to the extent of the baker’s refusal to provide service. If a baker refused to design a special cake with words or images celebrating the marriage—for instance, a cake showing words with religious meaning—that might be different from a refusal to sell any cake at all. In defining whether a baker’s creation can be protected, these details might make a difference." If the cake didn't have any specific theme, then I don't see how the guy who tried to order "Gay Marriage is Sin" cakes would be relevant to the discussion.

It seems like there's a really simple solution here: if the couple wants a custom cake for their gay wedding, and the baker refuses because he has religious objections to gay marriage, then they can just buy a generic or off the shelf cake. If the baker has no problem with that, then they can take it home and pipe "ADAM AND STEVE GAY MARRIED FOREVER" or whatever else they want on it. The couple gets accommodated, and the baker isn't forced to endorse a message they disagree with. If the baker refuses to sell them a generic cake, then it's a pretty clear cut case that his objection is to serving gay people, not endorsing a message he disagrees with. The Colorado commission did no favors by saying, "yes he should be forced to endorse a message he has religious objections to, because his religious beliefs are wrong and lovely."

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Except custom cake in this case meant: Materials, size and flavourings to order. The bakery never got to the point of refusing to create a particular message in the cake because they refused to take any kind of order from 'teh gayz' and only allowed them to buy an off the shelf option. There was no question of the bakers being asked to create something with any kind of political or religious message or position, they were unwilling to sell products to a couple because they were gay.

Like, if someone in a wheelchair came into the bakery and said he wanted a three tier sponge cake with strawberry frosting to celebrate getting two cool bionic legs and they had told him they thought cyborgs were going to be the downfall of humanity and scum like him shouldn't be able to walk, 'you can grab something of the shelf or get out', I don't think we'd be here discussing whether it was acceptable or not. Because robot legs are objectively awesome and no one would let religious craziness get in the way of that.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I hope next a Jehovah's Witness baker refuses to bake a celebration cake for a child recovering from cancer because the child got a blood transfusion.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Nah, it should be someone hardcore into predestination who objects to interfering with God's will that the child should die.

MrNemo posted:

Except custom cake in this case meant: Materials, size and flavourings to order. The bakery never got to the point of refusing to create a particular message in the cake because they refused to take any kind of order from 'teh gayz' and only allowed them to buy an off the shelf option. There was no question of the bakers being asked to create something with any kind of political or religious message or position, they were unwilling to sell products to a couple because they were gay.

Like, if someone in a wheelchair came into the bakery and said he wanted a three tier sponge cake with strawberry frosting to celebrate getting two cool bionic legs and they had told him they thought cyborgs were going to be the downfall of humanity and scum like him shouldn't be able to walk, 'you can grab something of the shelf or get out', I don't think we'd be here discussing whether it was acceptable or not. Because robot legs are objectively awesome and no one would let religious craziness get in the way of that.

So if the baker agreed to make a three tiered white cake to spec but refused to apply any religious or wedding-related decorations for a gay couple, you would find that acceptable?

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 4, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If they had provided such an offering, we could judge it on that point and make a decision. As it was, though, they refused.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
How much more detail do I need to add to my hypothetical before you can decide whether or not people should be forced to write messages they find morally objectionable?

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Dead Reckoning posted:

How much more detail do I need to add to my hypothetical before you can decide whether or not people should be forced to write messages they find morally objectionable?

A message being asked to be written would probably be a good start??? Which didn't happen here

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
"wedding-related decorations" is also pretty loving vague.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Dead Reckoning posted:

Nah, it should be someone hardcore into predestination who objects to interfering with God's will that the child should die.

So if the baker agreed to make a three tiered white cake to spec but refused to apply any religious or wedding-related decorations for a gay couple, you would find that acceptable?

The argument that making a cake is speech would certainly be legally stronger if a message-less cake could be made but one with a specific message was refused.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think the baker could have been fine if they had said i’ll make you whatever but i won’t write anything on it in a similar vein that they could refuse to write assface mcfucknuggets on a cake.

The issue is they refused to make any wedding cake for the couple. This case was not about any message or whether it was objectionable.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How do you think the court would have ruled if the couple had been looking for sculpture or poetry rather than a cake?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I think a sculptor is only comparable to the baker if they have a routine type of statue they custom make based on a pre-designed list. Like a cupid statue that comes customizable with options a, b, and c.

I don’t think that sculptor could refuse standard service just because it was going to a gay wedding but could refuse an actual custom and completely new type of work similar to how the baker could object to words on the cake but not necessarily the cake baking itself.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Subjunctive posted:

How do you think the court would have ruled if the couple had been looking for sculpture or poetry rather than a cake?

What's the sculpture or poetry equivalent to a three layer, white frosted cake?

As in what is a comparable service that either of those forms of artistic expression could render that are similarly "default," for lack of a better word?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So the baker can object to words, but what about a heart shape?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Keeshhound posted:

What's the sculpture or poetry equivalent to a three layer, white frosted cake?

Anything you can buy in an airport gift shop. “My name is Doris and I’m here to say”.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I'd say it depends on how much of the baker's personal expertise is required. If they have a heart-shaped pan? They should probably have to bake it. If they're going to need to carefully arrange differently shaped cakes to make a composite heart shape, that might be enough that I'd rule it was more of an artistic endevor.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I tremendously look forward to the rulings on what is artistic expression. If the couple provided an image to icing-print, that’s probably not an expression by the baker, right?

Could Kinkos refuse to photocopy LGBT flyers?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Subjunctive posted:

I tremendously look forward to the rulings on what is artistic expression. If the couple provided an image to icing-print, that’s probably not an expression by the baker, right?

Could Kinkos refuse to photocopy LGBT flyers?

Actually, exchangeability might be a decent way to determine at least some degree of the artistry involved. If the service they're requesting is one that the could conceivably request from a different provider and not have meaningfully different outcomes, you can't deny it to them.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Right, but there's now a SCOTUS decision drawing a (narrow, almost suit-specific, etc) ruling that protects discrimination as artistic expression.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Kagan's concurrence suggests a simple enough standard:
1) if you're willing to write a message for a straight couple, you have to be willing to write that message for a gay couple too
2) you can refuse to write a message for a gay couple, but only if you would refuse to write the same message for a straight couple

According to Kagan's standard, the cake shop could have refused to write a message explicitly condoning gay marriage, since it would also refuse such a message if requested by straight customers, but it wouldn't be able to do so for a neutral message such as a heart.

Granted, that's just one justice's opinion, and doesn't necessarily have legal force. But it at least provides more guidance than the thoroughly useless majority opinion, and that's really the best you can do when the Court punted for the express purpose of avoiding difficult questions like this one.

prick with tenure
May 21, 2007

Sorry, but that doesn't convulse my being.
If I run a Jewish deli can I refuse to cater a Nazi rally?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
~Nazis aren't a protected class~

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

yet

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Neither are gay people. Reminder that gay rights cases have came down in support of gay rights not by extending a protected class status but by equal rights/due process methods.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

prick with tenure posted:

If I run a Jewish deli can I refuse to cater a Nazi rally?

You're changing too many variables, unless you're contending that your catering is a form of artistic expression.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How could making cakes be art but making a wider selection of goods not be?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Making a cake isn’t art that was just the baker’s argument. Just assembling a three layer cake from your standard wedding cake menu isn’t protected
expression.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Next you’re going to tell me that my Scrabble board isn’t literature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Subjunctive posted:

How could making cakes be art but making a wider selection of goods not be?

Any idiot off the street can bake the cake as long as they follow instructions well, but decorating them beyond "coat it in vanilla frosting," is actually a pretty involved process that requires skill and creative vision.