Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Speaking of Actual good games, ffvfiesta is coming up, are you gonna be joining in or does the words Final Fantasy sound like poison now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
i streamed a 4 job fiesta run a few years back but never finished. apparently i had a good setup? (white mage, time mage, ranger, dragoon)

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

rangers and dragoons are ok but time mage and wm are strong.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Time Mage is a free pass to killing every single end game boss. You can do the proper way by just using Quicken, Meteor, and a butt load of Elixirs to take infinite turns or you can just Bio someone and then Quicken anyway and since Bio does damage every frame while Quicken stops all action bars from budging, you're basically free to walk away for a few hours and win.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
How long is this DLC supposed to be? From how meandering and pointless everything so far is, it could be anywhere from another half hour to five hours.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

quote:

Episode Prompto’s length is pretty comparable to that of Episode Gladio, and it should take you somewhere between an hour and a half and 2 hours to beat the story.

Lt. Conquistador
Oct 25, 2011

Because "Lieutenant" didn't fit.
I can give this to FFXV, their DLC campaigns are at least a decent length. Though, what is included in that length is up for debate.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Yeah, I was worried this piece of poo poo would take a dozen episodes to slog through, but it should be over pretty soon. :peanut:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Kuvo posted:

i streamed a 4 job fiesta run a few years back but never finished. apparently i had a good setup? (white mage, time mage, ranger, dragoon)
its a bit slow, unfortunately, but shouldn't have much trouble making it to the end. white mage in particular is the most tedious opener to start with.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
who signed off on that lousy techno soundtrack, I want a word with them

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
You guys are spot on with the lady mercenary being more interesting that any of the boy band.

She goes from working with the empire to fighting them, running support for innocent civilians, hunting down wayward dip shits and stopping mad scientists from destroying the world by endemonifying themselves.

She's like Lighting, but not annoying. An incredibly rare thing for a FF character.

I want her DLC.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 4, 2018

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I want her DLC.

Good news it's going to be the first episode released in the second batch of DLC.

Lt. Conquistador
Oct 25, 2011

Gruckles posted:

Good news it's going to be the first episode released in the second batch of DLC.

That's the DLC where they add campaigns for characters we WANTED to play as in the first place, right? Because Cor is already more interesting than Noct & Friends, and he has maybe two pages of dialogue, tops.

EDIT: Never mind! Aranea is literally the only character I want to play as in the new DLC episodes. The others include Ardyn, whose gameplay probably consists of following around the other protagonists and making vaguely threatening statements, Lunafreya, AKA Pouty Political Simulator 2018; and another episode about Noctis, because the main game didn't have enough bloody Noctis. However, if Noctis' new campaign is just him fishing and nothing else, I will buy the poo poo out of it.

Lt. Conquistador fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 4, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
There is an Episode Ardyn coming.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Ardyn's DLC is him sitting in front of a microphone and a wall of security monitors in the giant floating castle and you have to insult the boys through a series of riveting quicktime prompts.

Prompto opens a door to a room filled with nondescript equipment, press 'A' to laugh maniacally or 'X' to mock his hair.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

MonsterEnvy posted:

There is an Episode Ardyn coming.

quote:

In an IGN interview at PAX 2017, FFXV Director Hajime Tabata discussed Ardyn, saying he'd like to see stories about Ardyn and Luna fleshed out, as he considers them "incredibly key characters to the story."

:shepicide:

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Time Dog has been more key to the story than Luna's been. :argh:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Yes, Incredibly key character is something that you should consider your antagonist and female lead to be.

I do hope that Episode Ardyn is literally "Troll the gently caress out of goobers"

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Bocc Kob posted:

Time Dog has been more key to the story than Luna's been. :argh:

I mean, she is key to the story. They just didn't bother explaining or showing any of the story within the initially released game.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
i love that everyone at SE realized they had to flesh out the characters in this game, after they released it

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Spent too much time optimising the controls.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

It's like with MGS4 having someone credited as a controller vibration artist or something.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Like who the gently caress cares about the backstory of an irritating sidekick when we don't even give a poo poo about the same for someone as awesome as Han Solo.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Too bad you're playing the console version because now you could replace Noctis with Kenny the Crow

Or hit people with Prompto

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Leave it to Prompto to not even be able to manage a full t-pose :cripes:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He is headless. Moreso than usual.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I have to admit that an army of Prompto clones is pretty horrifying-ly funny!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Oh my god, that's right. You could replace all the enemy basic troopers with Prompto, couldn't you? Have them wearing a different outfit, one you've modded out of Prompto's normal rotation. Then the revelation that he's actually one of them would make more sense, have been better foreshadowed, and carry greater emotional weight.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Demicol posted:

pc master race modding

Again everything should be replaced by that fat guy so everything is acrofatic.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

Again everything should be replaced by that fat guy so everything is acrofatic.

That'd be ableist, though

:newlol:

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Vavrek posted:

Oh my god, that's right. You could replace all the enemy basic troopers with Prompto, couldn't you? Have them wearing a different outfit, one you've modded out of Prompto's normal rotation. Then the revelation that he's actually one of them would make more sense, have been better foreshadowed, and carry greater emotional weight.

I think Ignis or Galdiolus would've made better clones. The former is super intelligent and the later is strong and more soldier-like. I guess the problem would be that they're very stoic in nature and it would be tough to write them so the player could feel sorry for them. Prompto is like that annoying guy at Comic-Con that cosplays as Cloud and loves to go on and on about how "FFVII was the best game ever made". If all the imperials were Promptos, you could just ride in on a chocobo and they'd all drop their weapons to gush over the giant bird-horse.

That said, his DLC is kind of heavy-handed. He was so happy-go-lucky throughout this journey and tried his best to keep everyone cheered up after suffering such heavy losses, and after being separated from his friends and stranded in the snow, he has to confront that he's not even human and just a failed experiment that got away.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
:frogsiren: UPDATE :frogsiren:

Episode 67: Grape Ape

Lt. Conquistador
Oct 25, 2011

:v: "So, me and Aranea, you know, the hot mercenary chick, we fought a giant cybernetic gorilla, and then we got chased by a giant robot worm, but I had a .50 caliber minig-"
"I'm not amusing this story further, shut up Prompto."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Blowing up a battleship sized drilling machine on steroids with a generic machine gun. Not even a special magic one, just one that was sitting around.

And being really dull while it does it. Impressive in a way.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

goatface posted:

Blowing up a battleship sized drilling machine on steroids with a generic machine gun. Not even a special magic one, just one that was sitting around.

And being really dull while it does it. Impressive in a way.

"I AM A GOD oh no a hipster on a snowmobile i am undone"

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

"BEHOLD, THE ULTIMATE MACHINE!"

"Wait, is Ultimate WEAPON hiding behind that robotic worm?"

"No, fool, this thing you call a worm is nothing less than perfection!"

"I mean, you made Diamond WEAPON, I'd have thought the ultimate thing would be... y'know more... ultimate."

At least we know where Prompto inherited his intellect.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Wait so are there actualy side quests/grinding for CPUs or is that for Pom Episode 1.2?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

There are indeed sidequests, but you have a very narrow window to do them. I think there's one or two immediately before the campfire scene, and some more immediately after. Going into the base is obviously the cutoff.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Nothing in the Prompto DLC mattered. It was all a complete waste of time. :psyduck:

I still don't understand how he was some kind of super soldier clone thing, then became a fat peasant kid, then became Noctis' friend/jester!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
He was a clone baby, someone from Insomnia (Noctis' kingdom) stole him and brought him there, then he lived as a normal kid and that led to the current state. I'm pretty sure the whole idea of them making clones was just so that they'd have expendable people to fight their wars, like the clone troopers in Star Wars.

This game being a a bunch of assets stapled together shows even more when they didn't even bother linking the end of this DLC to where Prompto was in the game. I feel bad for anyone that actually liked this game's story, because Square clearly didn't.

• Locked thread