Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Samuringa posted:

I've heard there is a font specifically made for comics but I can't quite recall its name right now :v:

(I think Rockwell might be a good fit)

This is the one I use, and it's royalty free for non-profit and indie/small press.

http://www.blambot.com/font_backissues.shtml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

Sure thing bud

I am FURIOUS I didn't have this to sign when I saw Tim Sale the other week.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

zoux posted:

Sure thing bud

A lot of people must have died, because that book lasted for just a few months after that ad appeared....

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Where does Conan stand on Professor Xavier

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

mercenarynuker posted:

With his foot upon his throat is my guess

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That's ridiculous!

Charles Xavier can't stand.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mercenarynuker posted:

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
unbeatable is so drat good

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
I really wanted to like America, but the writing is so bad.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Unmature
May 9, 2008

unruly posted:

Yeah I'm a sucker for all these comics that real fans hate and that make me an SJW fake fan, but I couldn't get past the second issue. Shame, I really like that character otherwise.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

At this point there's probably more bad comics with America Chavez in it than good ones, which is unfortunate.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

unruly posted:

Is the art meant to be so flat?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Unmature posted:

Yeah I'm a sucker for all these comics that real fans hate and that make me an SJW fake fan, but I couldn't get past the second issue. Shame, I really like that character otherwise.
I could totally get behind a dimensional-healing, super strong, Hispanic (?) woman. Then they threw in she's a lesbian (fine), with dead lesbian super hero parents (sigh.. okay) in an angsty teen lesbian romance with a normal person and is now looking to attend the Intergalactic Sotomayor University. Whereupon she is greeted by a sorority from the Leelumultipass Phi Theta Beta (and their dance troupe). All of whom know her and act as though this literal interdimensional powerhouse and leader of The Ultimates is no big deal. Oh, did I mention she's the typical comic book "10" body style.

I mean. I'm okay with suspending a lot of belief. I mean, poo poo, I loved Spawn and all it's oddness (and comic book "10"'s for females). This, however, along with the incredibly campy dialog, and lazy writing... I can't even make it through the first issue, let alone where she she fights... sigh... Exterminatrix (yes, that deadly dominatrix). I mean, am I wrong in thinking they're being all "Look at us, fellow kids! We are cool with the gays and the sexs. Behold: Our newest supermodel, checkbox filling, diversity comic!"?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Keeshhound posted:

Is the art meant to be so flat?

That’s the holy menstruation.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

unruly posted:

I could totally get behind a dimensional-healing, super strong, Hispanic (?) woman. Then they threw in she's a lesbian (fine), with dead lesbian super hero parents (sigh.. okay) in an angsty teen lesbian romance with a normal person and is now looking to attend the Intergalactic Sotomayor University. Whereupon she is greeted by a sorority from the Leelumultipass Phi Theta Beta (and their dance troupe). All of whom know her and act as though this literal interdimensional powerhouse and leader of The Ultimates is no big deal. Oh, did I mention she's the typical comic book "10" body style.

I mean. I'm okay with suspending a lot of belief. I mean, poo poo, I loved Spawn and all it's oddness (and comic book "10"'s for females). This, however, along with the incredibly campy dialog, and lazy writing... I can't even make it through the first issue, let alone where she she fights... sigh... Exterminatrix (yes, that deadly dominatrix). I mean, am I wrong in thinking they're being all "Look at us, fellow kids! We are cool with the gays and the sexs. Behold: Our newest supermodel, checkbox filling, diversity comic!"?

Given that that book was them specifically getting an openly gay Latinx woman and YA author to write her first comic so as to have legitimacy and authenticity, I think you're 100% wrong.

Now Gabby Rivera ended up being a TERRIBLE comics writer (no clue if her prose work is any good) with an atrociously blunt and unfunny sense of humour and an extremely unsubtle and clumsy way of illustrating her themes, but I don't think it was a case of Marvel attempting to appeal to a demographic they didn't understand. After all, the same basic approach had actually worked extraordinarily well with Ta-Nehisi Coates on Black Panther. (And was a decent creative/critical, if not commerical, success with Chelsea Cain on Mockingbird)

The two issue crossover with Hawkeye was painful in how obviously Kelly Thompson was trying to hammer Rivera's dialogue into something approaching readable.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

unruly posted:

I... think you and I have different issues with it.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Unmature posted:

Strong agree.

Still, it’s sad the book is so bad. I loved America in Young Avengers (also aren’t her two moms from her origins in YA?) and was excited about the solo. Maybe someone else can salvage her later. I really disliked X-23 back in the day and good writers have done wonders with Laura since.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

zoux posted:

Sure thing bud

Oh come on "bub" was RIGHT THERE.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I want more America and Hawkeye. I want an ongoing with the two.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

OptimusShr posted:

Oh come on "bub" was RIGHT THERE.

Did you just call me Blob

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lurdiak posted:

At this point there's probably more bad comics with America Chavez in it than good ones, which is unfortunate.

Young Avengers and Ultimates vs America and ???

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Given that that book was them specifically getting an openly gay Latinx woman and YA author to write her first comic so as to have legitimacy and authenticity, I think you're 100% wrong.

Now Gabby Rivera ended up being a TERRIBLE comics writer (no clue if her prose work is any good) with an atrociously blunt and unfunny sense of humour and an extremely unsubtle and clumsy way of illustrating her themes, but I don't think it was a case of Marvel attempting to appeal to a demographic they didn't understand. After all, the same basic approach had actually worked extraordinarily well with Ta-Nehisi Coates on Black Panther. (And was a decent creative/critical, if not commerical, success with Chelsea Cain on Mockingbird)

The two issue crossover with Hawkeye was painful in how obviously Kelly Thompson was trying to hammer Rivera's dialogue into something approaching readable.

Yeah, Coates' Black panter had some growing pains in the beginning as he struggled to get a grasp on writing for comics, I was hoping Rivera was experiencing something similar, but... no. It was just bad. Which is a shame because Chavez is awesome.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Push El Burrito posted:

I want more America and Hawkeye. I want an ongoing with the two.

Kelly Thompson is launching a new West Coast Avengers with both Hawkeyes and America (also Quentin Quire).

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Is Runaways Rainbow Rowell's first comics work? Because she's killing it, that series is a ton of fun.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Open Marriage Night posted:

Young Avengers and Ultimates vs America and ???

Vengeance is very much Joe Casey in full self-consciously postmodern Wildcats 3.0 mode and it's not particularly readable, but the America Chavez introduced there bears almost no real resemblance to the character she became. It's probably best to pretend that the Gillen/McKelvie Young Avengers is her actual first appearance.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

logan ruining the sacred trust of the fist bump

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

logan ruining the sacred trust of the fist bump

How do the claws even work at that angle?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nipponophile posted:

Yeah, they oughtta be ripping out the back of his wrist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

Secondary mutation.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
His body heat keeps them malleable until he pops them and they instantly harden on contact with air.

Where's my No-Prize, Marvel?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Wolverine's wrists are actually a portal to the Claw Dimension.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Android Blues posted:

Wolverine's wrists are actually a portal to the Claw Dimension.

This....makes so much sense.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The Elemental Plane of Knife?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Unmature posted:

That's probably true. I'm a cynical bastard and sometimes takes too hard a look at what I'm trying to enjoy. :shrug:

Anyway, I'd be happy to read some good material with her in it -- this being my first exposure to the character is not a good start. I'll try and find some of the YA stuff.

Gaz-L posted:

That's fair. Though, I have to say I'm old enough that I had to look up "Latinx"...

Anyway, it's probably a case of "Get off my lawn"-ness from this grump old man.

unruly fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 5, 2018

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Rhyno posted:

This....makes so much sense.

Snikt is the power word to open it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

unruly posted:

That's probably true. I'm a cynical bastard and sometimes takes too hard a look at what I'm trying to enjoy. :shrug:

Anyway, I'd be happy to read some good material with her in it -- this being my first exposure to the character is not a good start. I'll try and find some of the YA stuff.
That's fair. Though, I have to say I'm old enough that I had to look up "Latinx"...

Anyway, it's probably a case of "Get off my lawn"-ness from this grump old man.

Her parents and her own queerness were present from the start.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Superman 298

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Taerkar posted:

Snikt is the power word to open it.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Skwirl posted:

Her parents and her own queerness were present from the start.
Yes, and? I saw that. It doesn't exactly change my feeling that the character is the most checkboxy new hero for inclusiveness sake. That's fine, it's just not what I enjoy. I'll look for her YA stuff and see if I end up liking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's about ethics in get the gently caress out of here