Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The actual number of homeless people in Israel is over ten times the number in that image. It's just that strict government criteria over the definition of "homeless" excludes 90% of homeless people from the Ministry of Welfare's programs. (source) Groups not counted include minors, released prisoners, homeless families, domestic violence victims, people who don't look dirty and beaten (no, I'm not exaggerating with this one!), and more. Basically, only those who are completely incapable of bettering their situation, people who are obviously going to be permanently homeless due to an inability to function in society, are counted as "homeless" by Israeli authorities (and they're also the only ones who are eligible for homeless welfare programs).

No discussion of free education in Israel is complete without the massive disparity in spending between Jewish schools and Arab schools. Although the gap has narrowed over the past two decades, Israel's per-student spending is still 20% lower for Arab students than for Jewish students.

And so on, and so forth. You can try to make Israel out as some kind of progressive wonderland, but it has a serious inequality problem, with a rich-poor divide rivaling that of the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I was given a pro-Israeli pamphlet in Helsinki, Finland and its primary arguments for how the Israeli treatment of Palestinians can't be genocide are that
- Gaza has a lower population density than the Warsaw ghetto, and
- Gaza's population is growing, not going down

In other words, the defense against the charge of genocide is that the genocide isn't efficient enough to be called genocide. That struck me as rather innovative.

Maybe I should screencap and translate choice bits of it, but I have a feeling it's already translated from English in the first place and there's not really anything else novel in it (like the logic of Israel simultaneously being at war with Palestinians yet Palestinians are not a sovereign entity Israel could be at war with; Palestinians don't have enough water because their infrastructure gets routinely destroyed by the IDF they don't take care of their infrastructure, etc.). It's ominously called "Israel - the only democracy in the Middle East." There's a dead URL in the back and it was being distributed by wretched-looking retirees.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Many of these are inaccurate, and also you pay us just to kill palestinians.

It was posted by Americans most likely. And besides being wrong it’s also ironic in that the very pro Israel folks in the USA probably voted for Trump.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

VideoGameVet posted:

It was posted by Americans most likely. And besides being wrong it’s also ironic in that the very pro Israel folks in the USA probably voted for Trump.

This isn't necessarily true. I shouldn't have been surprised but was profoundly disappointed that the liberals I know from Jewish family functions are posting pro-BLM stuff online and blaming Palestinians for getting murdered at the same time.

Nationalism is a hell of a drug.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

This isn't necessarily true. I shouldn't have been surprised but was profoundly disappointed that the liberals I know from Jewish family functions are posting pro-BLM stuff online and blaming Palestinians for getting murdered at the same time.

Nationalism is a hell of a drug.

All I know is from my contacts. The lefties are posting the Gaza news with a sense of horror, the Republicans are gleeful about the deaths.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Sulphagnist posted:

It's ominously called "Israel - the only democracy in the Middle East."

lol

"Israel - the only democracy in the Middle East. Since Tunisia is NORTH AFRICA, and Cyprus is IN THE EU. So DON'T THINK TOO MUCH ABOUT THIS STATEMENT."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Grape posted:

lol

"Israel - the only democracy in the Middle East. Since Tunisia is NORTH AFRICA, and Cyprus is IN THE EU. So DON'T THINK TOO MUCH ABOUT THIS STATEMENT."

also if we're going with roughly Israeli definitions of democratic, turkey is in europe, except when it's not

lebanon doesn't exist

and that's without me being a disingenous rear end in a top hat and citing Morocco (constitutional monarchy!) / Iran / Egypt

or a slightly more disingenuous rear end in a top hat: Algeria, prewar Syria, prewar Yemen, Kuwait (also constitutional monarchy!), Iraq*

* - arguably more democratic than the previous category, but there are a few logistical issues

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Turkey threw out the legit d card recently, and Lebanon is uh spotty to say the least.

The other two are straight up bonafides, one of which has been that way for decades but yet still the Israeli nationalists endlessly roll that old chestnut out.

But of course the subtext is the best anyway, "We're actually the only civilized country in the area, so you see it's actually fine if we act nothing like that at all."

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Grape posted:

Lebanon is uh spotty to say the least.

No more than an apartheid-practicing racial supremacist ethnocracy.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cat Mattress posted:

No more than an apartheid-practicing racial supremacist ethnocracy.

Yeah, this is part of what I was actually saying - I'd put Lebanon-Turkey-Israel in basically the same basket. Each one's democracy is systemically flawed at this point, in different and exciting ways.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
https://972mag.com/once-charged-with-killing-palestinian-teen-two-israeli-soldiers-will-walk-free/135955/

Two soldiers executed a palestinian teen, their defendant claimed selective prosecution and the court dropped the case.

That sure is something.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

emanresu tnuocca posted:

https://972mag.com/once-charged-with-killing-palestinian-teen-two-israeli-soldiers-will-walk-free/135955/

Two soldiers executed a palestinian teen, their defendant claimed selective prosecution and the court dropped the case.

That sure is something.

Wow. We prosecute so few cases that we can't prosecute any more. Purity of justice right there.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

This is amazing.You could literally put a clickbait "you won't loving believe why these two murderers got to walk away" and be absolutely right - I can't believe it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Probably one of a dozen cases this month. Israel is a joke

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
On a slightly positive note Nikki Haley, US ambassador to the UN, who made news by walking out when a palestinian envoy started speaking, was completely humiliated and displayed clear-as-day the hilarious contrast of opinion between the US and the rest of the world.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That sure is something.

Ah, the old "everyone else is getting away with it!" defense. Truly a hallmark of the Most Moral Army in the World.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Neurolimal posted:

On a slightly positive note Nikki Haley, US ambassador to the UN, who made news by walking out when a palestinian envoy started speaking, was completely humiliated and displayed clear-as-day the hilarious contrast of opinion between the US and the rest of the world.

Slowly but surely this is going to be the American public someday.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Ah, the old "everyone else is getting away with it!" defense. Truly a hallmark of the Most Moral Army in the World.

Technically, it wasn't actually a legal argument that won this: the defense requested that the prosecution provide official statistics regarding prosecution rates for soldier misconduct, and the prosecution dropped the case rather than provide numbers almost certain to be extremely embarrassing.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5279594,00.html

Argentina national team cancels its scheduled friendly match against Israel that was set to take place in Jerusalem this saturday.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

What is with Khamenei? Most of the world is upset with Israel right now, the Nuke deal is on the table and he tweets how Israel is a cancer and needs to be eradicated.

Way to give some ammo to Israel's moves in the region...

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

pro starcraft loser posted:

What is with Khamenei? Most of the world is upset with Israel right now, the Nuke deal is on the table and he tweets how Israel is a cancer and needs to be eradicated.

it's a pretty smart move, tbh

with the US looking to pull out of the Iran deal he's looking to make sure that the European interests that were the only reason we negotiated the deal in the first place have every incentive available to play nice with him and give the US the finger

conveniently, he has a button he can push to make the rest of the world like him more (call an apartheid state engaged in the wholesale slaughter of populations whose existence it finds inconvenient a monstrosity that should not be) and the US and Israel like him less (because How Dare You Sir)

isn't politics fun

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ze Pollack posted:

it's a pretty smart move, tbh

with the US looking to pull out of the Iran deal he's looking to make sure that the European interests that were the only reason we negotiated the deal in the first place have every incentive available to play nice with him and give the US the finger

conveniently, he has a button he can push to make the rest of the world like him more (call an apartheid state engaged in the wholesale slaughter of populations whose existence it finds inconvenient a monstrosity that should not be) and the US and Israel like him less (because How Dare You Sir)

isn't politics fun

You have an interesting idea about how European leaders perceive Israel. They're not happy about the way they treat the Palestinians, but they're even more unhappy when Iran says poo poo like this. Plus Iran doesn't have a lot of moral authority to point to anyone's wholesale slaughter these days given that they're supporting Assad next door. Merkel just agreed with Netanyahu recently about Iran needing to remove their forces from Syria, so I don't know where you get the idea that Europe loves Iran and hates Israel.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

pro starcraft loser posted:

He's often the voice of the extreme right in the country.

But, even though he technically has absolute authority, don't consider his statements to be policy. When the nuke deal was being negotiated he said several times that Iran would never give up so and so, only for it to be done later. I think his message is mostly for a domestic audience.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Sinteres posted:

You have an interesting idea about how European leaders perceive Israel. They're not happy about the way they treat the Palestinians, but they're even more unhappy when Iran says poo poo like this. Plus Iran doesn't have a lot of moral authority to point to anyone's wholesale slaughter these days given that they're supporting Assad next door. Merkel just agreed with Netanyahu recently about Iran needing to remove their forces from Syria, so I don't know where you get the idea that Europe loves Iran and hates Israel.

they dislike Israel, they widely despise the present US administration, and Khameni would very much enjoy a world where European leaders are given a choice between being seen to be knuckling under to Trump and Netanyahu or working with Reliable Trading Partner Iran

nobody appreciates the guy kicking at the open wound but if the wound is adequately kicked this does not super matter

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ze Pollack posted:

they dislike Israel, they widely despise the present US administration, and Khameni would very much enjoy a world where European leaders are given a choice between being seen to be knuckling under to Trump and Netanyahu or working with Reliable Trading Partner Iran

nobody appreciates the guy kicking at the open wound but if the wound is adequately kicked this does not super matter

They want to work out a deal with Iran if possible, but in no way does Khameini calling Israel a cancer make that more appealing to European leaders than it was before. You're projecting super hard. Germany in particular is very sensitive about this sort of thing, and Merkel's obviously the most important leader in Europe.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Count Roland posted:

He's often the voice of the extreme right in the country.

But, even though he technically has absolute authority, don't consider his statements to be policy. When the nuke deal was being negotiated he said several times that Iran would never give up so and so, only for it to be done later. I think his message is mostly for a domestic audience.

khameini's ideological position is weird and difficult to track

at this point I'm almost inclined to go with the dictator-exonerating "he'll go with whatever makes the most internal factions least unhappy"

(also the Iranian extreme right is completely loving nuts, and I have a kneejerk reaction that Khameini, embodiment of the regime, will invariably not be the voice of the Iranian extreme right)

edit but hating Israel is not exactly an extreme right position

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

i think one of the things that fucks me up personally is that im the same age as her

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ze Pollack posted:

The choice they'll make is knuckling under to Trump and Netanyahu, because they are little bitches.

They might make a few fancy speeches but the acts are what matters. And the EU, by design, is utterly incapable of acting.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

The choice they'll make is knuckling under to Trump and Netanyahu, because they are little bitches.

They might make a few fancy speeches but the acts are what matters. And the EU, by design, is utterly incapable of acting.

there's an awful lot of money they leave on the table if they do that, and the whole reason we negotiated the iran deal in the first place is that it had been made quietly clear to the US tha the EU was uninterested in keeping sanctions going

expecting them to do the right thing is of course idiotic naivete, expecting them to vote with their wallets is... significantly less naive

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ze Pollack posted:

quote:

Germany approved a license for a company to sell military applicable technology to Iranian companies which were subsequently used by the Syrian regime to commit chemical weapons attacks, German publication Bild revealed yesterday.

The Federal Office for Economic Affairs and Export Control allowed German multinational Krempel to sell electronic press boards to Iranian companies that were used in the production of rockets. The Stuttgart-based company confirmed the delivery of the electronic technology “Pressspan PSP-3040”, an insulating material.

An investigation by human rights group, Syrians for Truth and Justice, Bild and the online journalist website Bellingcat, has found rocket debris with the Krempel logo and the “Made in Germany” product signature following at least two chemical attacks in Syria this year, those perpetrated on 22 January and 2 February.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20180206-germany-sold-technology-to-iran-used-in-syria-chemical-attacks/

Doing a great job of wooing European leaders let me tell you.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ze Pollack posted:

there's an awful lot of money they leave on the table if they do that, and the whole reason we negotiated the iran deal in the first place is that it had been made quietly clear to the US tha the EU was uninterested in keeping sanctions going

expecting them to do the right thing is of course idiotic naivete, expecting them to vote with their wallets is... significantly less naive

European countries are incapable of protecting their companies from being under the full jurisdiction of US law. So, the vote with wallets is what European companies are doing -- choosing to comply with US sanctions, because Washington can hurt them a lot more than Tehran could possibly help them.

It'd take balls to take an effective stand against American bullying. It'd require counter-sanctions by attacking US companies present in Europe for as much if not more as the US would attack European companies. That's not going to happen, though, because, again, EU leaders are little bitches and the EU is by design incapable of acting.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I severely doubt one tweet is going to meaningfully change European policy. It's much more likely to be aimed at domestic Iranian politics, and possibly Israeli politics as well. After all, it's only been a couple of days since it came out that Netanyahu repeatedly tried to secretly order military strikes on Iran, only for his own security apparatus to deny the order. While the main reaction in international media has been to see that through the lens of Israeli politics as a humiliation for Bibi, it's also one hell of a provocation toward Iran, and I wouldn't be surprised if Iranian hardliners were demanding some confrontation with Israel.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

khameini's ideological position is weird and difficult to track

at this point I'm almost inclined to go with the dictator-exonerating "he'll go with whatever makes the most internal factions least unhappy"

(also the Iranian extreme right is completely loving nuts, and I have a kneejerk reaction that Khameini, embodiment of the regime, will invariably not be the voice of the Iranian extreme right)

edit but hating Israel is not exactly an extreme right position

I suspect if a right wing government was in power Khameini would be less supportive like that.

But I also find it hard to understand his moves. He has theoretical dictatorial powers but lets government and courts actually run things. Its an unusual arrangement.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Count Roland posted:

I suspect if a right wing government was in power Khameini would be less supportive like that.

But I also find it hard to understand his moves. He has theoretical dictatorial powers but lets government and courts actually run things. Its an unusual arrangement.

The head of the judiciary is directly appointed by him, and he and the head of the judiciary together appoint the Guardian council which has to approve any electoral candidate. It really just boils down to delegating responsibilities to people further down the chain while making sure all of it is still accountable and subservient to the inner circle. It's pretty common in totalitarian governments.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
It's funny how the analyses of Netanyahu and Khamenei's actions as mainly catering towards mollifying their extremists bases are exactly the same. I don't really take either seriously, but we should apply a consistent level of scrutiny to both. They're both hanging on by a thread politically - in that Netanyahu keeps barely winning elections, although he's polling well at the moment with a conflict bounce.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Cat Mattress posted:

It'd take balls to take an effective stand against American bullying. It'd require counter-sanctions by attacking US companies present in Europe for as much if not more as the US would attack European companies. That's not going to happen, though, because, again, EU leaders are little bitches and the EU is by design incapable of acting.

iran is not worth a trade war between the EU and the US and everyone knows it

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

please knock Mom! posted:

iran is not worth a trade war between the EU and the US and everyone knows it

The trade war is happening, Iran or not, and it's the US who started it.

But it's a one-sided war because the EU is incapable of fighting back.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

The trade war is happening, Iran or not, and it's the US who started it.

But it's a one-sided war because the EU is incapable of fighting back.

this is a new take to me and probably not suited to this thread

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
BDS struck one of it's biggest victories so far, possibly the biggest. Just fyi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

emanresu tnuocca posted:

BDS struck one of it's biggest victories so far, possibly the biggest. Just fyi.

poo poo
Now Israel will reveal where Hitler was in Argentina