Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i just finished paranoia agent which was pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Baloogan posted:

um so are there any more workplace anime like newgame and the one about the girls who work in anime with the doughnuts shirobaka

like, slice of life in reality, protagonists out of high school sort of thing
Servant x Service is a very good romcom about government office workers.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
tyty

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baloogan posted:

um so are there any more workplace anime like newgame and the one about the girls who work in anime with the doughnuts shirobaka

You want Seiyu's Life.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Baloogan posted:

The currently airing show Gurazeni is, for all intents and purposes, a salaryman anime with a coat of baseball paint over it.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Also currently airing, Yotsuiro Biyori is about four guys who work at a teahouse in a city

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Baloogan posted:

I remember liking girlish number (seiyuu working on mediocre anime) and I guess wotakoi's also airing this season (mid-twenties office workers but otaku, though it might be better to stick with the manga)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Baloogan posted:

girlish number is good though one of the main characters is high school aged, but considering thats not uncommon in the va industry and the other characters are college-aged or older i think it works fine

genshiken isnt about a workplace, just a college anime club, but the main characters are adults and it is fairly slice-of-lifey

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Oooh! This is where I get to recommend Fune wo Amu!

Please watch Fune wo Amu, everyone.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I've been on a bit of a manga tear recently and was wondering if ya'll had any good recommendations for space opera and/or mecha, manga series?

When I google I mostly get suggested LoGH, Code Geass, and Gundam anime series, which are good examples of what I'm after, I just happen to want manga.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Hocus Pocus posted:

I've been on a bit of a manga tear recently and was wondering if ya'll had any good recommendations for space opera and/or mecha, manga series?

When I google I mostly get suggested LoGH, Code Geass, and Gundam anime series, which are good examples of what I'm after, I just happen to want manga.

I'm a big fan of the Ken Ishikawa Getter mangas. The 70s ones are kinda rough but they build up into something genuinely fantastic. I also quite liked Linebarrels of Iron, though the translation is spotty at best. The Plot to Assassinate Gihren is a Gundam manga which is quite good, but it assumes the reader is familiar with the original Gundam series so if you haven't seen that you should probably skip it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hocus Pocus posted:

Knights of Sidonia

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hocus Pocus posted:

I'm not sure how much is actually translated but Five Star Stories is about as space opera and mecha as it's possible to get.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hocus Pocus posted:

towards the terra

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

a kitten posted:

Knights of Sidonia
Very much this. The series is a little odd, but the transhumanist concepts and the sheer horrific styling of the gaunt aliens is exceptionally good. Also, has the best romance in a mecha series. The artwork and character designs are pretty great too.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Thanks everyone! Started Knights of Sidonia (very interesting monster designs), and I'm looking forward to checking out the rest. Especially those 70s/early 80s ones. I haven't read much manga at all from the 70s and early 80s outside of the most famous examples.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any good shounens to watch, manga only if there is no anime of it.

I have watched the big ones.

Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, FMA Brotherhood, One Punch Man, HxH and Jojo.

Jojo and HxH are probably my favorites. Didn't like bleach after first 2 arcs and Naruto after the first season. One Piece is pretty great throughout but the anime's quality is inconsistent.

I tried watching Boku No Hero because of all the hype but it is the most generic show I have ever watched. It has 0 creativity imo, the initial premise of a kid with no powers was great but they ditched that pretty fast. The character designs is the only good thing about.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

What in particular are you looking for in a show?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fist of the North Star should be required reading or viewing if you have a specific interest in the genre.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Fist of the North Star, Saint Seiya, Ring ni Kakero, Mob Psycho 100.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Mob psycho 100 is so much better than OPM that it makes me sad that the latter is now much more well known. Not that OPM is bad but Mob psycho 100 is absolutely amazing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ulio posted:

Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, FMA Brotherhood, One Punch Man, HxH and Jojo.

Jojo and HxH are probably my favorites. Didn't like bleach after first 2 arcs and Naruto after the first season. One Piece is pretty great throughout but the anime's quality is inconsistent.

I tried watching Boku No Hero because of all the hype but it is the most generic show I have ever watched. It has 0 creativity imo, the initial premise of a kid with no powers was great but they ditched that pretty fast. The character designs is the only good thing about.
For what it's worth I was right with you there on Hero Academia for a fair bit but I eventually came around to it super hard when it became less about Deku learning about/using his powers and more about the class as a whole just kind of bonding together.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the problem is season 1 of MHA is bad. if you're reading that stuff it goes by way faster so you can get hooked by the sports festival and exams

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

dogsicle posted:

the problem is season 1 of MHA is bad. if you're reading that stuff it goes by way faster so you can get hooked by the sports festival and exams

Some things end up better in animation but MHA is so immersed in comics as an aesthetic i feel like the manga will always be better.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Yeah I can see why someone would not immediately take to MHA after the first arc, it does get better and I think it's really drat good, but the "oh no Deku exploded his arms AGAIN" period does drag on a lot

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean his criticism is it’s to generic and that never really changes.

I’m not sure being generic but faster is really gonna change anything

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ulio posted:

This is almost exactly my taste in shonen, so I'm going to recommend Kekkaishi because I loved it.

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah I can see why someone would not immediately take to MHA after the first arc, it does get better and I think it's really drat good, but the "oh no Deku exploded his arms AGAIN" period does drag on a lot

i mean the anime is in season 3 and it's still "oh no Deku exploded his arms AGAIN"

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

For the people saying MHA gets better. I did watch 4-5 episodes of the 2nd season and still didn't find it enjoyable. Deku is a really annoying protagonist he cries way too much for no reason. Also Kachan? Whatever his name is an rear end in a top hat 24/7 for what? I forgot because it wasn't even a good reason for him to up Deku's rear end all the time. All Might was the only interesting character because he is basically superman who is slowly dieing but they don't focus on him that much.

Bongo Bill posted:

Fist of the North Star should be required reading or viewing if you have a specific interest in the genre.

Watched it a long time ago. Liked it but it definitely felt a bit longer than it needed to be.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is almost exactly my taste in shonen, so I'm going to recommend Kekkaishi because I loved it.

I have pretty much heard of most shounen anime but never heard of this. I will watch a few episodes.

GorfZaplen posted:

Fist of the North Star, Saint Seiya, Ring ni Kakero, Mob Psycho 100.

I have seen Fist of The North Star and Mob Psycho 100. Both were great.

Ring ni Kakero I had in my watchlist but never started it. Also Saint Seiya I watched the original up until they defeat a few of the golden knights is it worth completing? I liked the premise alot but I remember a lot of the animation being reused like way too much. I might actually go back to it. Are any of the spin offs/sequels worth it?

Hunt11 posted:

What in particular are you looking for in a show?

I am not really sure. I have a wide taste. I can enjoy very basic shounen like DBZ or Naruto because the fights are so well done but I also enjoy more adventure style shounen like OP/HxH.

My favorite shounen would be HxH, Jojo, OPM/MobPsycho(for comedy) and One Piece out of the big 3 popular ones. Gintama is also great as shounen comedy.

I also enjoy sports anime like Yowapedal, Kuroko no Basket.

I am watching Ippo first season but I have trouble finishing it. I am at like episode 60. It isn't fast pace like shounen anime or modern sport shows. I wish it was more ridiculous with the abilities but it is mostly grounded in reality.

These are mangas I REALLY enjoyed Vinland Saga, Berserk, anything by Fukumoto(Kaiji writer), Baki The Grappler, Claymore. As you can see most of these are a bit mature. I don't know why but they don't feel edgey like Akame ga Kill which I thought would be the anime version of these types of mangas. Big mistake watching that show. I have been really interested in reading Toriko and Kingdom. Not sure how good they are but they might be weird/different enough to fit my taste.

Also I haven't read the manga for Jojo. I kept hearing the translations of it are very hit or miss.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe garo: vanishing line? It's kind of a dark action roadtrip thing. it's a bit slow in spots but i liked the cast a lot and it had great fights, though it wasn't like a straight action thing, like I said towards the second half it almost developed into a roadtrip story. Still a good amount of action, though.

You might be into blood blockade battlefront too, it's a mostly-episodic shonen comedy with some stellar action when it goes for a full action episode, though the first season is better in that regard than the second since the director changed. It's got some really great gags and a stellar setting. It's by the creator of trigun if you've ever seen that. Actually, if you've never seen it, trigun would be a good rec too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

You might be into blood blockade battlefront too, it's a mostly-episodic shonen comedy with some stellar action when it goes for a full action episode, though the first season is better in that regard than the second since the director changed. It's got some really great gags and a stellar setting. It's by the creator of trigun if you've ever seen that. Actually, if you've never seen it, trigun would be a good rec too.

Your preference between seasons will depend heavily in whether or not you find the anime-original parts of the first season boring or not. The second season is just straight adaptations of manga stories, so instead of a tepid arching narrative it's just pure mindless fun from start to end.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The second season is a huge step up narratively, even if the direction isn't quite on the same level.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imo the second season is a huge step down narratively, though there were some good individual episodes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
bbbs2 has some really fun episodes but it didn't hook me enough to watch another two-parter at the end after not really caring for the one midway through the season

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ulio posted:

I'm not sure if you're specifically looking for battle shounen, but The Disastrous Life of Saiki K is a good shounen comedy that not many people have seen.

You should definitely watch Haikyuu too if you haven't seen it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ulio posted:

Ring ni Kakero I had in my watchlist but never started it. Also Saint Seiya I watched the original up until they defeat a few of the golden knights is it worth completing? I liked the premise alot but I remember a lot of the animation being reused like way too much. I might actually go back to it. Are any of the spin offs/sequels worth it?

It's absolutely worth finishing the main series of Saint Seiya. The entire Gold Saints arc is incredible and the Asgard arc after it is probably the best anime original arc in a shonen anime. After that is the Poseidon arc which isn't as good as Asgard but it's only 12 episodes long.

It's an 80s shonen series so it never looks incredible but after the Gold Saint arc it has a more consistent aesthetic and doesn't reuse animation as much.

I wouldn't watch anything past that though, the Hades arc was made decades after and has awful looking digipaint art. It's also pretty light on the action and heavy on the dialogue and is basically a rehash of the Poseidon arc but three times as long.

I've heard good things about The Lost Canvas but haven't seen it myself. Soul of Gold is decent but whether you like it or not depends on how much you care about the Gold Saints.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

GorfZaplen posted:

I wouldn't watch anything past that though, the Hades arc was made decades after and has awful looking digipaint art. It's also pretty light on the action and heavy on the dialogue and is basically a rehash of the Poseidon arc but three times as long.

I am done with Saint Seiya these days, but used to be a huge fan. The first dozen Hades episodes or so should still be worth watching and are probably the most interesting part of the storyline. I've skimmed through a few Youtube videos and they don't look too bad. It helps that they were directed by Shigeyasu Yamauchi (known for working on Casshern Sins and several of the more stylistically interesting episodes from the old Saint Seiya TV series plus some standalone movies).

What really looks ugly and low budget comes afterwards, with Inferno and the rest of the Hades arc, largely because they kicked out the director. Why? Supposedly the mangaka, Masami Kurumada, didn't like his work on the fifth Saint Seiya movie (thus confirming that one can be the original creator of something and still be clueless about artistic merit). So, after that first Hades arc is done...I'd recommend stopping and maybe just reading the manga if anyone wants to see how it ended.

wielder fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 6, 2018

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ulio posted:

Gonna throw you a curveball and say Zatch Bell (Gash Bell).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Julias posted:

Gonna throw you a curveball and say Zatch Bell (Gash Bell).

yeah how did this not get mentioned yet, it's very good, very silly, and completed, and ends strong.

Read the manga though, as the anime ends like two arcs before the final arc, which is one of the best finishing arcs I can recall.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe try watching coffin princess chaika?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ulio posted:

These are mangas I REALLY enjoyed Vinland Saga, Berserk, anything by Fukumoto(Kaiji writer), Baki The Grappler, Claymore. As you can see most of these are a bit mature. I don't know why but they don't feel edgey like Akame ga Kill which I thought would be the anime version of these types of mangas. Big mistake watching that show. I have been really interested in reading Toriko and Kingdom. Not sure how good they are but they might be weird/different enough to fit my taste.

Akame ga Kill is weird because for the most part it is kind of lovely, but it does also have a couple interesting moments that hint at the show being better then it actually is.

In terms of recommendations I would go with the first couple seasons of Soul Eater and then switch over to the manga once it veers towards original anime content. Also Hellsing Ultimate might be another show that you would enjoy watching.