Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Mr. Nice! posted:

But seriously, the rest of the world is against us. This is not good.

Took them long enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

What a dishonest, and, honestly, kinda misogynist caption

The UN votes a resolution against Israel, what a shocker! Her pro-Israel draft resolution was defeated soundly. Making it personal by saying Haley is begging for support, she's been isolated and humiliated... that reads like gendered insults to me.
Her approach to the job sucks and nobody wants to deal with her. Haley is a loving moron who is completely out of her depth and it's great seeing her shoved off in a corner as it's the next best thing to her never serving in goverment again. Really puts to rest the idea that most Trumpists have about dealing with the UN. Yeah, just go in there and swing America's dick around, that will make other countries want to follow our lead, just like Iraq!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
yeah guys I'm not disagreeing with any of that

I'm saying the UN voting down a pro-Israel resolution is not surprising in the slightest and shouldn't be presented as this big shocking surprise, and the insults in the tweet felt gendered.

That's about it. US isolation in the international community is undeniably a big problem that needs to be addressed and countered of course.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Mr. Nice! posted:

yeah, he's an idiot posting idiot things. Nothing he's ever done or said is newsworthy. He's as bad or worse than Bill Mitchell, adds absolutely nothing to the conversation, and isn't remotely impactful about anything. I already cannot scroll past those types fast enough when I'm browsing C-Spam. If we want a chud twitter thread where we post all those types all the time, I mean lets start the thread. I just don't think we should give them the time of day here unless they're actually relevant towards a current event.

You're no fun

https://twitter.com/EricLevitz/status/1004037988970446848?s=19

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

boop the snoot posted:

I’m sure congress could change that. [Contempt power]

Contempt is a power of the judiciary which would make it a separation of powers problem. The Constitution would have to be amended to change it.
(Or Congress could defund the judiciary if an administration official/toady was ever held in contempt, but that's stretch even for 2018)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

joat mon posted:

Contempt is a power of the judiciary which would make it a separation of powers problem. The Constitution would have to be amended to change it.
(Or Congress could defund the judiciary if an administration official/toady was ever held in contempt, but that's stretch even for 2018)

Didn't that literally happen in Kansas over education funding?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

if mitchell or wohl were slightly interesting or provided anything to the conversation other than just "what are morons thinking out loud" then I'd welcome them with open arms.

I just don't see the need to give grifters any more attention than they deserve.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
One of my favorite developments in the presidency was when Trump attacked the NBA, bron-bron called him a bum, then Trump never attacked the NBA again.

Bron dunked on him again.

https://twitter.com/Con_Chron/status/1004043793144745984?s=19

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Saw a article saying Trump is trying to use the GOP tax law to financially punish teams to have kneelers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CommieGIR posted:

Saw a article saying Trump is trying to use the GOP tax law to financially punish teams to have kneelers.

Tried. It was last year he told staff to specifically look into how to change tax law to punish the NFL.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is it really too much to ask for these people to face literally any consequence for lying constantly? :cripes:

One of the things I'm curious to see going forward is politicians realizing that now they can blatently make up anything they want (and no longer at least have to pretend to be reasonably honest) and the implications for future elections.

The GOP is so good at messaging that if I didn't hate them so much I'd admire them. Just light years ahead of the Dems.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
When can Trump and all his supporters just drink orange flavorade and just loving die already. They offer nothing worthwhile to humanity and actively work to destroy it. I'm loving so worn out by this poo poo

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharknado slashfic posted:

The GOP is so good at messaging that if I didn't hate them so much I'd admire them. Just light years ahead of the Dems.

Hate motivates faster and easier than love, shocking.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Also did Black Rifle Coffee Company ever hire those 10,000 vets?

BRCC and every other CHUD also completely missed that Starbucks pledged to hire 10,000 vets back in 2013, and they met their goal last year.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Iron Rose posted:

yeah guys I'm not disagreeing with any of that

I'm saying the UN voting down a pro-Israel resolution is not surprising in the slightest and shouldn't be presented as this big shocking surprise, and the insults in the tweet felt gendered.

That's about it. US isolation in the international community is undeniably a big problem that needs to be addressed and countered of course.

Eh, it was a complete shutout though, I could be wrong but I didn't think that happened too often, or at least not with the US as the lone supporter. Does it happen that often? Genuinely curious, now that you mention it as less of a big deal I would like to know, not something I am overly familiar with.

Also, I didn't read it as gendered, but I'm admittedly not so sensitive to that, and would grade it on somewhat of a curve since it's a non-english speaker.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Hate motivates faster and easier than love, shocking.

Not entirely what I meant, yesterday some talking head on One America News and later Hannity on Fox were basically reading from the same script. All the same talking points, all the same rebuttals, all the same "the Mueller investigation is the greatest political scandal in history" (and not in the way we think of it). One America guy started to say "our country" at one point, caught himself and said "our constitutional republic" and later on Hannity was using "constitutional republic" as well, so I assume their workshopping found it played well with the base.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

I don't give them credit for that so much as blame. The GOP were early adopters of being completely soulless billionaire-donor/corporate whores vomiting any talking points they were told to so they got the benefit of those billionaires funding a massive state propaganda machine in the right wing media.

Their ideas are poo poo, their policies are worse, their message is hateful and their talking points have devolved to "1500 kids ripped from families and going to foster homes or wherever isn't that bad and it's fake news anyway". They just have basically endless propaganda dollars to force the discourse onto their topics and into their framing by pure volume. Can't argue the results because we have a spiteful cheeto as president, I just don't give them credit for messaging when it's just more dollars not better messaging.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

One of the things I'm curious to see going forward is politicians realizing that now they can blatently make up anything they want (and no longer at least have to pretend to be reasonably honest) and the implications for future elections.

Lol

friendo let me tell you about the boston massacre and how the news media fanned the flames and lied about what happened

Politics wasn't just invented, making poo poo up has been true for a long time

carthago delenda est

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Not entirely what I meant, yesterday some talking head on One America News and later Hannity on Fox were basically reading from the same script. All the same talking points, all the same rebuttals, all the same "the Mueller investigation is the greatest political scandal in history" (and not in the way we think of it). One America guy started to say "our country" at one point, caught himself and said "our constitutional republic" and later on Hannity was using "constitutional republic" as well, so I assume their workshopping found it played well with the base.

And how do they sell those messages? With fear, hate, and violent rhettoric.

Hate motivates more.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Didn't that literally happen in Kansas over education funding?

Pretty much. Education funding was the precipitating event, though the specific defunding threat was the punishment that would happen if a court overruled a(n unconstitutional) law that stripped the Kansas Supreme Court of its budgetary/administrative/supervisory powers over lower courts. (in retaliation for the education ruling)

The Kansas Supreme Court called the Legislature's bluff and the Legislature passed an amendment 'clarifying' that it was only stating that the Legislature is responsible for funding the judiciary blinked.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Future constitutional amendments we ought to have:
1. Federal Candidates must release every tax return they've ever had.
2. Presidents explicitly can't pardon themselves or family members.

Any more ideas while we're dreaming?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

And how do they sell those messages? With fear, hate, and violent rhettoric.

Hate motivates more.

I'm not disagreeing with you just clarifying my post.

Third World Reggin posted:

Lol

friendo let me tell you about the boston massacre and how the news media fanned the flames and lied about what happened

Politics wasn't just invented, making poo poo up has been true for a long time

carthago delenda est

Meh, just feels to me like there was always a "You know I'm lying, I know I'm lying, but I'm going to pretend to not be lying" thing with politicians, and now it feels like "You know I'm lying, I know I'm lying, gently caress you." Maybe I'm just being Trump'd. Or maybe it's the day drinking.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Casimir Radon posted:

Repeal the second amendment :getin:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Haley is absolutely insufferable. She's as bad as Bolton. Both are dangerous lunatics that should be kept far from any position of power. I didn't read the criticism of her in that video as gendered insults. The same words could and would have been said if mustache John had been in Haley's position.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

In a hypothetical universe where we make it through the Trump administration in one piece, I can see a constitutional amendment modifying the pardon powers substantially to include something like confirmation by the Senate.

In fact, post-Trump, assuming the current Republican party implodes, I could see Congress removing a lot of power from the executive.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If we make it through I'm sure the GOP won't. The younger generation of the party gas spent the last 3+ years flirting pretty openly with fascism, and it's all on social media. Going to be a lot of would-be Paul Ryans too toxic to win a senate election.

psydude posted:

In a hypothetical universe where we make it through the Trump administration in one piece, I can see a constitutional amendment modifying the pardon powers substantially to include something like confirmation by the Senate.
That and explicitly ban pardons of self, family, and lobbyists. Just in case the Senate is controlled by crazies at the time. No sense taking chances after what we've been through.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Handsome Ralph posted:

There wasn't? I could have sworn there were a couple that Chris Long stood with in solidarity or something.

Still though, as a :patssay: fan, I'm okay with that loss as I'm happy to watch the Eagles force Trump to self dunk over this poo poo. Also lol at the owners for thinking their anthem policy would ever placate him.

Apparently not, according to what they were saying on the Sportshub this morning.

As a Pats fan too, I definitely agree with that, as much as it hurts to say that.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

psydude posted:

In fact, post-Trump, assuming the current Republican party implodes, I could see Congress removing a lot of power from the executive.

I could see maybe a pardon change involving the Senate because the Senate loves power, but Congress as we know it will never move to limit the Executive's power. It makes both a handy scapegoat for why they can't do things and lets them also not have to do things, thus not chancing a risky vote.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

If we make it through I'm sure the GOP won't. The younger generation of the party gas spent the last 3+ years flirting pretty openly with fascism, and it's all on social media. Going to be a lot of would-be Paul Ryans too toxic to win a senate election.

Trump has definitely been the anti-Reagan to millennials. What is it, something like 63% of people under the age of 40 voted for Clinton? Too bad boomers are going to live pretty long. But generation X is already well on its way to drinking and injecting itself to an early grave.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mr. Nice! posted:

They were pointless insults, but regardless of that our UN ambassador just had to veto a resolution because no one would vote for ours. We literally have the rest of the world against us. I would say that the begging and humiliation aspects were accurate reporting, and although harsh, were gender neutral. A male diplomat doing and saying the exact same things would have been seen in the same light.

But seriously, the rest of the world is against us. This is not good.

:smugdon:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/musalbas/status/1004049970721419264?s=19

He's hosed

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Judge has set Friday as the deadline for a response from Manafort's lawyers.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Judge has set Friday as the deadline for a response from Manafort's lawyers.
50% chance he tries to flee the country or offs himself. He spent some time in the loony bin before the 2016 election because of suicidal thoughts due to his illicit money stream from Ukraine drying up and debts piling up.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

One of my favorite developments in the presidency was when Trump attacked the NBA, bron-bron called him a bum, then Trump never attacked the NBA again.

Bron dunked on him again.

https://twitter.com/Con_Chron/status/1004043793144745984?s=19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXxkFd3lHaM&t=5s

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

How did you go from Obama to this :psyduck:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Obama set off loads of stupid White Christians.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Black presidents were only supposed to exist on the Richard Pryor Show, Chapelle's Show, and Deep Impact. It broke white people's brains to see it happen so now we gotta overcorrect to full Gilead mach loving schnell.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Well ya see. A not insignificant portion of the country got real offended that a black guy was president for eight years, so offended it broke their brains.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Defenestrategy posted:

Well ya see. A not insignificant portion of the country got real offended that a black guy was president for eight years, so offended it broke their brains.

It gets even funnier when you realize how long ago jim crow ended and how many people are still alive from then or one generation from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Oops

https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/1004079759528165377?s=19

Oooooops

https://twitter.com/tfurlong/status/1004078159594172416?s=19

FYI - the answer is Big Dick Nick

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 5, 2018

• Locked thread