Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

hevnz 2 murgatroyd posted:

There are lots of other dudes to marry in Stardew Valley, just pick one of the other ones.

Sounds like she's eager for that Linus lifestyle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
When I've had friends comfort me when I'm crying or vice versa, we pass tissues and pat each other and say lots of sympathetic things, but we aren't actually wiping away each other's tears and resting our heads on each other's shoulders unless we're super physically intimate. The emotional intimacy is maxed out and that's good and cool, but imo that's a weird level of physical intimacy for two people who've never done anything and don't want to.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 5, 2018

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

When I've had friends comfort me when I'm crying or vice versa, we pass tissues and pat each other and say lots of sympathetic things, but we aren't actually wiping away each other's tears and resting our heads on each other's shoulders unless we're super physically intimate. The emotional intimacy is maxed out and that's good and cool, but imo that's a weird level of physical intimacy for two people who've never done anything and don't want to.

That's what I'm trying to communicate through my emotionless grunting and banging of rocks.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Anne Whateley posted:

some people are super handsy and other, sane people maintain a strict 6-meter perimeter of personal space even when lovemaking

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

boner confessor posted:

the worst, saddest thing about him - i looked over his shoulder once while he was playing skyrim and i saw he had 600+ hours on one character

I’ve never worn a kilt but I definitely have almost 800 hours on one of the... two? three? characters I played for Skyrim. My goal was to 100% the game as much as possible (radiant quests all completed once) while pretending to be a disillusioned child of immigrant-refugees from Morrowind who hated Nords and the Empire equally.

It was a slog and a grind and I hated it by the end. I finished the game two years ago and haven’t even turned my xbox back on. I think maybe sandbox games aren’t for me.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

boner confessor posted:

he only knew that one song, and he thought it made him sound cool to know about that song, because then he could talk a little about british pub culture which is extremely cosmopolitan and sophisticated

he didn't know anything about the band's anarchist politics. he only knew that one song that got popular in the usa and he sincerely thought that people sit around drinking classy beers and talking about philosophy etc. in british pubs. british drinking culture and the imminent threat of japanese invasion in ww2 were two of his favorite things to talk about, and the funny thing about his obsession with pubs is that he was a complete baby who hated beer

How in the hell were the japanese going to invade america. America had a better capacity to project force, and a much smaller area to conquer and we barely manged to do it to a handful of Japanese owned islands in the pacific and that was only after we sunk their entire fleet

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Weird. I was on the side of non platonic bed sharing, but I think wiping tears is fine. The closer and longer the platonic friend, the more understandable.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Meme Emulator posted:

How in the hell were the japanese going to invade america.

It was called the Aleutian Islands campaign :eng101:

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
The OP who saw her boyfriend consoling his sobbing friend, and whose natural course of action was to voyeuristically observe them from behind a bush with a friend until deciding to slink away is by far the most bizarre and inappropriate thing in that story. Not tear-wiping.

That does not belie a reliable narrator.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

male friendships have almost no intimacy (no not like that weirdos) so imo it's not surprising that most men are confused by it, because for them any time they're doing something intimate, even just like regular friendly intimate like being a little bit vulnerable it's only with whoever they're loving

I only cry at passionate displays of honor and nobility especially when those displays are inherently doomed by the whims of gods and fate.

(Actually though I do tear up a little bit at the end of the first Rocky movie)

My [33 F] father in law [67 M] told my husband he doesn't want me handling money after he passes.

quote:

A little background- my FIL is a very untrusting person. He does seem to be lacking full mental capacity, but it isn't severe and it isn't often. He also suffers from PTSD. My husband essentially raised himself, his father has been 'gone' for about forty plus years and his mother wasn't in the picture. Dad can be stern and opinionated. He won't see doctors for his medical issues and doesn't like to receive help. We almost lost him two years ago and I invited him and his girlfriend (who is a wasteland) to live in our home and take my bedroom. They stayed for about six months, and it was agony. I offer to run errands for him, and do, often, and I call and send pictures of the kids. He has a new grandson that he has never held; he's five months old. Dad lives twenty minutes away.

Dad is convinced he doesn't have long on this earth and has asked my husband to have papers drawn up- a will, power of attorney, medical power of attorney, etc. and he wants them to go together to get them notarized. My husband is pretty busy and I'm a notary, so he asked me to draw them up. I said of course I would. I am not going to notarize them, and I am not named in them.

We delivered the papers to dad over a month ago, and he said he didn't want to read them or have them signed that day. So we left them and said for him to look over them and let us know what he thought and when he wanted my husband to take him to the notary.

He called my husband yesterday and asked him what is in the paperwork. He hadn't read it because I'm the one who drew them up. My husband assured him that I had put exactly what he wanted in there and that it was all in order, and suggested he read them. Dad refused to read them and instead wanted to go issue by issue over what he'd requested go in there. My husband was really patient and did this with him. I was sitting next to him at the time and could hear the whole conversation.

Dad doesn't have much money, and has no property. He has an old pickup that isn't worth more than maybe $3,000. Dad made my husband his sole heir. In the event that my husband and father in law pass away, our son (five months old) is the heir. I have two children from a previous marriage, they aren't in there. I'm not in there. This is fine with me.

Dad asked my husband who would get our son if my husband dies and my husband said "evie_ohhhh will, of course". Dad was not approving of this and said that would mean I'd get his money and he doesn't want that. He said the papers need to be re-written to make sure I can't go near it. My husband told him that was insulting. The conversation ended there (not poorly, just abruptly, neither of them wanted to fight).

Not to sound like a completely horrible person, but I don't give one flying fig about his money. There's almost nothing there, first of all. Second of all, I am the least money hungry person most people have ever met. My husband is actually moderately greedy compared to me, but not at all compared to most people. We are pretty basic people, happy with what we have.

On top of that, I come from extreme wealth. As in, I traveled the world to homes my family had scattered here and there. As in, I have attended functions where libraries and buildings in prominent places were being named after my immediate family. Books have been written about my family members, and I have seen stories about them on the national news. That sort of family. And I have never, ever been interested. I was incredibly grateful for the travel experiences I was afforded as a younger person, but once I became an adult, I did not utilize my family's wealth or position in any way. They don't like how simply I live and they don't like the path I have chosen. We are still in touch, but we aren't close and I benefit in no way from this. If I had done things their way or kissed rear end, I could have had way more. I think this is a testament to my stance on money. Beyond that, while I am not in anyone's will (that I know of), my children stand to inherit quite a bit, and I have been trusted to handle it. I don't know how much Dad knows about this. I don't talk about my family.

Even with that aside, if he doesn't know- when my husband and I got married, he owned an old truck, that was it. I owned my own, brand new home, and a nice car. I am not a grifter. I am not a taker. I think my character should be obvious.

What Dad has to offer financially is nothing for me to throw my morals away for, or even enough for me to truly mismanage. I imagine the cost of his funeral will eat it all up.

My husband and I fought about this last night. He didn't understand why I am upset. He said it says more about his dad's trust issues than it does about me. I don't agree.

I'm completely heartbroken and hurt. It isn't about the money. I have embraced him as a father and have bent over backwards to be here for him and to love him and care for him. He obviously thinks little of me. How can I remedy that?

TL;DR My father in law doesn't trust me to handle any money left after he passes, and it sounded almost like he didn't think I should be left the kids either if my husband dies also. I am hurt and want to fix his obviously low opinion of me. Is there anything I can do?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Why would the Japanese want America

Is it for our kilts

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

My closest childhood friend and I have the same kind of relationship as OP's boyfriend and friend, but thankfully when I introduced her to my now-wife, the two of them hit it off in a similar way and we're all super close.

Long term friendships are a part of who we are, and if she cares about her boyfriend, OP needs to accept his friend, and hell, maybe even try developing her own relationship with this person.

I introduced a long time guy friend to my ex and she started a secret relationship with him and now I don't have a friend or a girlfriend, so I can understand why this girl is freaked out. Friends comforting each other is hugs and comfort, not wiping tears from their face. If you feel weird about something, it's for a reason.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Xombie posted:

The OP who saw her boyfriend consoling his sobbing friend, and whose natural course of action was to voyeuristically observe them from behind a bush with a friend until deciding to slink away is by far the most bizarre and inappropriate thing in that story. Not tear-wiping.

That does not belie a reliable narrator.

oh get off your high not constantly lurking in the shadows just out the corner of your loved ones' eyes horse

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

fruit on the bottom posted:

I only cry at passionate displays of honor and nobility especially when those displays are inherently doomed by the whims of gods and fate.

My [33 F] father in law [67 M] told my husband he doesn't want me handling money after he passes.

Eh get over it, FIL sucks but he’ll die it’s fine

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sibilant Crisp posted:

I introduced a long time guy friend to my ex and she started a secret relationship with him and now I don't have a friend or a girlfriend, so I can understand why this girl is freaked out. Friends comforting each other is hugs and comfort, not wiping tears from their face. If you feel weird about something, it's for a reason.

People only really fall in love once and then they’re just staking out getting it back. Old friends do this, like ducks

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Meme Emulator posted:

How in the hell were the japanese going to invade america. America had a better capacity to project force, and a much smaller area to conquer and we barely manged to do it to a handful of Japanese owned islands in the pacific and that was only after we sunk their entire fleet

in case it wasnt clear this dude was a huge moron

he was super into guns and rah rah patriotism and defense of the homeland etc. so the idea of people invading america so he could prove his manliness by fighting to defend the Flag really gave him a big stiffy. he was also into the idea of la raza mexican invasion, canadian invasion, could basically quote the movie red dawn etc

which is probably why he had his pistol taken away by the state when he "intervened" in a domestic dispute he witnessed while working as a valet and ended up going to jail for a weekend on assault charges. that was a nice weekend

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 5, 2018

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The first time I saw Casablanca I found myself tearing up a little bit... at the part of the movie where they blast the Nazis out of the bar with a giant chorus of La Marseillaise

That was weird

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
It’s a weird thing and there’s no good reason for it, like most weird things, but wiping tears from someone’s face is very intimate and not something I’ve ever done for anyone but my wife and kid.

Like I don’t think it constitutes cheating or anything, but it is definitely a signpost for that OP that those two are way closer than she thought they were and it’s reasonable to not know what to do with that right away

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

tears are basically eye cum

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM-E2H1ChJM

Vive la France!

Vive la loving France! :cry:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah ther head on the shoulder is a little too intimate. It's like how I will accept a hug from co-worker if offered, but I would never stand or sit with my arm around them.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Pick posted:

People only really fall in love once and then they’re just staking out getting it back. Old friends do this, like ducks

You can fall in love many times. Till you fall in love with Them.
And then you go on a trip to Berlijn with them. And they sneak out of the hotel to go gently caress some meth head. And when they finally show up again it’s just to get their stuff ‘cause they’re going back to the meth head, and you have to go back home alone. And 14 months later there’s not a day don’t you miss them so much.

Ducks do this :(

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you come in for the hug at work I hope you were a tumbler in highschool because youre about to be on the ground. .

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Barudak posted:

If you come in for the hug at work I hope you were a tumbler in highschool because youre about to be on the ground. .

I work with a bunch of women, but we are all remote. Most of them try to hug me when we see each other. I just allow it because I don't get any vibes of it being anything more than a friendly hug.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
“do girls hug multiple times?”

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

andrew smash posted:

It’s a weird thing and there’s no good reason for it, like most weird things, but wiping tears from someone’s face is very intimate and not something I’ve ever done for anyone but my wife and kid.

Like I don’t think it constitutes cheating or anything, but it is definitely a signpost for that OP that those two are way closer than she thought they were and it’s reasonable to not know what to do with that right away

What level of intimacy is spying on your loved ones and their clearly upset friends from a distance?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

therobit posted:

I work with a bunch of women, but we are all remote. Most of them try to hug me when we see each other. I just allow it because I don't get any vibes of it being anything more than a friendly hug.

When the day comes that you have to fight one of them in an open field with mere minutes before the LZ gets bombed to hell youre going to regret not practicing your CQC

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
do... girls.... hug...... multiple..... times...........

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Nope, they get one like a bumble bee then they die.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Xombie posted:

What level of intimacy is spying on your loved ones and their clearly upset friends from a distance?

That’s hosed up too. Unlike what I mentioned though there’s no serious debate in the thread about that part of it. You dumb mother fucker.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

“do girls hug multiple times?”

This is like a loving zen koan at this point.

I [20f] feel I’m wasting my life and ruining my future with my boyfriend [26m].

quote:

To get started, the reason I feel this way is since around the second semester of my freshman year I started having severe anxiety and depression out of nowhere. Now that I’m older, I kind of understand it’s possibly because of my mother and my grandparents. I don’t really want to go into detail on that but my relationship with my family has always been horrible. My anxiety made it worse, I think, and it distanced me from everyone I grew up with. I stopped hanging out with people because being anywhere other than my room gave me horrible anxiety attacks. I tried multiple anxiety medications and two antidepressants, only to continue having the attacks and my fear of having the attacks and people growing.

When it came to the end of junior year I chose to drop out and not go on to my senior year, I regretted it and continue to regret it everyday but I know I couldn’t possibly of handled it. And my mom also made me believe I couldn’t. She allowed me to just live with her for 2 years, saying I couldn’t possibly handle going out and I should consider disability in the future. For 2 years I was bound to my room and in the first year probably only left the house 4 times and every time was suffering. Even today, it’s horrible.

I haven’t improved at all really and since moving in with my boyfriend my attacks seemed to haunt me in our room and bedroom now. I’ve been here 2 months and I am plagued with nausea, anxiety attacks, stress rashes, and episodes of intense loneliness and depression that I’m often asking for time alone from him even though he works all day.

I am very thankful for him getting me out of the situation with my family and I have a doctor appointment in 2 weeks, he’s offered to let me live here as long as I try my best to work on myself. It’s hard though. No exercise, breathing technique, or therapy has helped me. And by what he’s told me he feels so distant from me and it breaks my heart. I feel like even if I got to see a doctor they’d be just as not helpful as the last few I’ve had or have to recommend me to another doctor, a psych of course. The whole reason I stopped seeing doctors is because my doctor thought I was lying to get stronger medication. She purposefully gave me an anxiety attack and said it must be anger that triggers it, which is NOT true. I was angry because she didn’t seem to believe me.

I feel like if things don’t work out with the doctors I’ll give up and continue to be home bound. My boyfriend doesn’t want to break up, he wants me to get better but says he doesn’t see what our future will be if I’m like this all the time.

I’m sitting in our living room feeling ill while I let my boyfriend sleep. I feel like I’m wasting time, both my boyfriends and mine by being home all the time. Feeling nauseous, having headaches, muscle aches constantly. I don’t really talk to many other people except him. I feel like I can’t talk to people. I feel like I’ll ruin the best relationship I’ve ever had with my mental issues and I don’t know how to deal with it. Any advice is appreciated.

tldr; Anxiety makes me feel ill and going out often means I’ll have intense anxiety attacks. It also keeps me away from my boyfriend most days and I feel like he’ll give up on me in the future if I can’t somehow pull myself together, but don’t trust a doctor will help me. Any advice is appreciated, I wasn’t sure whether to post here or a different sub but I thought this worked.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

quote:

My mother was an abusive narcissist criminal and my dad was absent. If you are wondering if I have self esteem issues, issues in general, and an insane need for approval, YES. Lol

All the comments are excellent, for once, and OP at least explains why she gives a poo poo about this old fart.

quote:

y husband is a good man, and I didn’t start the fight. He started it when he saw me crying. I wasn’t even going to say anything. And I know what kind of person Dad is, and have tried to communicate that with my husband, but as much as he is aware of Dad and his shortcomings, he is fiercely loyal and we are NOT allowed to discuss anything negative having to do with his dad. So I walk a fine line at all times.

Husband's a big dummy tho. I recommend therapy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, you are wasting your suspiciously older boyfriends time.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

loquacius posted:

The first time I saw Casablanca I found myself tearing up a little bit... at the part of the movie where they blast the Nazis out of the bar with a giant chorus of La Marseillaise

That was weird

ikr it's so brutal; why won't they reasonably debate those guys on the issues like civilized people

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

ikr it's so brutal; why won't they reasonably debate those guys on the issues like civilized people

Competing national anthems is one of the correct ways to settle these sorts of disputes. The only other option was a dance off. Debating doesn't work, you need to have a contest of skills.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Xombie posted:

Lol dude he walked up on an unexpected situation and simply left instead of making a big scene, what do you feel this guy did wrong? not burst in like the kool aid man? he should have demanded to search the backpack for condoms?

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 5, 2018

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

This is like a loving zen koan at this point.

Definitely not a predator: Oh hello whining ball of anxiety, would you like to be mine?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

You'll never be daddy

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

andrew smash posted:

That’s hosed up too. Unlike what I mentioned though there’s no serious debate in the thread about that part of it. You dumb mother fucker.

Having a serious debate on this highly possessive and obviously mentally ill woman's account of her boyfriend's actions is your first mistake.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Lol dude he walked up on an unexpected situation and simply left instead of making a big scene, what do you feel this guy did wrong? not burst in like the kool aid man? he should have demanded to search the backpack for condoms?

I know I'm better off not replying to you, but I'm too curious what guy you are even talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Xombie posted:

I know I'm better off not replying to you, but I'm too curious what guy you are even talking about.

Oh dear, replying to me, ooga booga

I was making a joke refering to a post from yesterday, where the BF did confront the air mattress couple, and demanded to search the backpack for condoms and that not going well.

What did you expect this guy to do, person that is trying to make a bush / pervert / creeper narrative of someone stumbling upon an intimate moment and not knowing what to do?