Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

lobster22221 posted:

What is the most convoluted mechanic in an rpg, J or otherwise?
Whats that game where you need to do a bunch of convoluted grinding and trading to progress and the a marry an anime lady and have kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

zedprime posted:

Whats that game where you need to do a bunch of convoluted grinding and trading to progress and the a marry an anime lady and have kids.

Agarest

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

lobster22221 posted:

What is the most convoluted mechanic in an rpg, J or otherwise?
As far as mechanics that you're expected to actually figure out and manipulate on your own go, I think I would pick World Tendency in Demon's Souls. Otherwise I would pick something like IV/EV's in Pokemon, like somebody else mentioned.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

zedprime posted:

Fire Emblem :v:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Dragonatrix posted:

:psyduck: FF2 is right there dude, c'mon.

FF2 is very straightforward and simple once you know the basics, it's just the game doesn't even tell you those.

Use shields, use light armor, focus on having only one or two frontliners while the rest cast magic... That will carry you for the game, the only things you'll need to grind are MP and Esuna. To save time and sanity you can use a FAQ to navigate the terrible dungeons, but it's not necessary.

e: For all I know, this stuff is in the manual of the NES version. It's actually kinda intuitive, it's just that everyone always said "You gotta beat yourself up!" and took it as gospel because nobody actually played more than an hour in.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 4, 2018

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I bounced off FF2 after trying the waterfall dungeon and not having enough mp to make it through and tents and mp potions being way too expensive.

For some reason it REALLY bothers me that there's no xp and levels. Cheesing Captains with Teleport should give me more than just 300 gold. I should also level way the gently caress up and be a huge stupid fat bully to everything after killing a couple dozen of them.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I got a game over against Vayne lol. I saved when my party was pretty decent but before I had done any post game stuff so I wouldn't just steamroll the final boss fights. I'd been exploring the Necrohol for a while so a couple of my guys were a few levels ahead of the other three but not by a huge amount, however the super team did have my WM and BM. I was a bit lazy and let my B-Team die (I was using them for all of Bahamut) against Vayne's final form. I sent in the dream team then and it was fairly easy going until he activated his barrier so he was immune to all attacks not just physical OR magical and I let my guys health just a little too much and he unloaded his super super attack and I got my first game over lol. On the replay I used the B-Team to get him to glowing orange and summoned when he was totally invulnerable then mist chained him with the a team when his barriers fell.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dragonatrix posted:

:psyduck: FF2 is right there dude, c'mon.

"Use thing and you gain points in thing's type, low levels go up fast than high levels" isn't complicated.

Agility's system for gaining that stat is dumb as hell and unfair as gently caress at the start but it's still not complicated.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I bounced off FF2 after trying the waterfall dungeon and not having enough mp to make it through and tents and mp potions being way too expensive.

For some reason it REALLY bothers me that there's no xp and levels. Cheesing Captains with Teleport should give me more than just 300 gold. I should also level way the gently caress up and be a huge stupid fat bully to everything after killing a couple dozen of them.

The stat gains (and drops) you get from a dozen of them should have you being pretty drat powerful unless you're just doing immediate kills with Teleport. Captains drop stuff you wouldn't normally have until Mysidia. Sure the Fire Bow is only a bow and not something useful like a sword or axe, but someone with the bow and a couple levels of bow use is going to one-shot enemies through the ice cave.

Though another useful early game drop comes from the enemies north of the castle. Either the Ogre Mages or some other caster drops a staff that uses level 4 bolt (?) on every enemy when used as an item, allowing your party to have a 0mp way of clearing trash at the cost of not leveling your actual weapon/magic stuff. I think one of the enemies might drop Berserk, too, which ensures physical attackers never have to worry about enemy defense even with garbage weapons (though unarmed also easily outpaces enemy defense early on).

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
It's Square Enix Financial Results time: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/18q4outline.pdf

Highlights:

- Net sales are slightly down but operating income is high. This mostly due to fewer AAA games but more digital catalog sales, MMO revenue, and strong Mobile performance
- Digital sales are becoming a bigger part of the company's business. Nier Automata did well through catalog digital sales
- Shadow of The Tomb Raider and Kingdom Hearts 3 are the next big console games and more information about them will be revealed at e3. Both are expected to be out in 2018 calendar year
- FFXIV has had its highest sub count since launch on the back of Stormblood
- They weren't able to meet their aggressive sales target for mobile games. Several titles failed to become hits. They're shifting towards a strategy of fewer but higher quality mobile games
- Mobile games are becoming the company's breadwinner
- Wants E-Commerce (better system for buying merchandise) to be a cornerstone of their business. Expect a web app for the Square-Enix store at e3
- Developing new entertainment products based around 3D modeling, AI, blockchain, and robotics
- Square-Enix is struggling to recruit developers in Japan to staff up for HD game development. They're looking to overseas recruiting and development collaborations to remedy this

TLDR: Brave Exvius pays for everything.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

XP is still there, it's just distributed among your stats. Captains have a very high challenge rating (5), which increases the amount of XP you get from using weapons and spells.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sunning posted:

It's Square Enix Financial Results time: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/18q4outline.pdf
- Developing new entertainment products based around 3D modeling, AI, blockchain, and robotics

:doh:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe blockchain is just a new defensive mechanic in FFXVI

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Finally, gil in the real world.

I'll be upset if SE doesn't name their new cybercurrency that or Mogcoin.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Considering all the improvements they made it's insane to me that you can lose out on the best weapons for the Shikari by buying the wrong Quickening squares with no indication you're totally screwing yourself.

Also Vayne having multiple forms is expected for a final boss but it was so at odds with his whole presentation as a villain, his middle form looks like the muscle suit from Arrested Development.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

EmmyOk posted:

Considering all the improvements they made it's insane to me that you can lose out on the best weapons for the Shikari by buying the wrong Quickening squares with no indication you're totally screwing yourself.

Also Vayne having multiple forms is expected for a final boss but it was so at odds with his whole presentation as a villain, his middle form looks like the muscle suit from Arrested Development.

Wait what, I haven't gotten that far yet into the job boards, before I screw myself what does that mean

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

teh_Broseph posted:

Wait what, I haven't gotten that far yet into the job boards, before I screw myself what does that mean

Shikari has 4 Ninja Sword licenses, and they're all behind a different quickening each. Ninja Swords 4 unlocks the Yagyu Darkblade and the Mesa, the strongest ninja swords, but it's the farthest away from the start of the board, so if you already bought 3 quickenings before getting there you're poo poo out of luck.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also whenever you get an esper its license appears on every board but when someone activates it the license disappears from all other boards. Many esper licenses appear on the edge of boards bridging the gap to previously unreachable licenses. So when you're deciding whom to give a particular esper you should be checking to see which character will be able to access the best licenses. This means certain characters will never be able to reach certain licenses but it's usually not a big deal. It's stuff like a license for heavy armour being possible for a mage or something. The wiki for each esper is really handy as for a given esper it lists the licences activating it allows each job to reach.

Phone posting so this might be spaghetti

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I just realized FF12 would have been a universally beloved game if they had renamed "Quickenings" to "Quackenings".

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Yo thanks for the heads up! Did not know that stuff, and that explains some of the tile placement that I didn't understand.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I haven’t acquired any Espers or Quickenings in my XII replay for that reason.

Game’s just as easy without ‘em.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I haven’t acquired any Espers or Quickenings in my XII replay for that reason.

Game’s just as easy without ‘em.

But how will you ever survive without your black mage having heavy armor?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Sunning posted:

- Mobile games are becoming the company's breadwinner
- Wants E-Commerce (better system for buying merchandise) to be a cornerstone of their business. Expect a web app for the Square-Enix store at e3

What does this E-commerce mean? Like being able to buy stuff off of the SE store online?....Couldn't you already do that?

Also, I thought Mobile games were already the breadwinner of SE, was it just FF14 beforehand?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Ventana posted:

What does this E-commerce mean? Like being able to buy stuff off of the SE store online?....Couldn't you already do that?

Also, I thought Mobile games were already the breadwinner of SE, was it just FF14 beforehand?

S-E has a webstore but it's poorly designed and lacks visibility. They probably want to push it more because S-E merch sells when people know about it but I wouldn't be surprised if most of the people I knew who were S-E fans even knew they had their own online shop that often has had those kinds of collectibles they scour asian malls and niche game shops for.

S-E's still has a lot coming in from traditional game sales. Modern FF might have been a money pit it's only begun to dig itself out of and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Kingdom Hearts III has no chance to ever turn a profit and is mostly being pushed to completion to get it done and recoup as much as they can, but they still have been making lots and lots of money off rereleases, niche releases from their smaller and experimental studios, Eidos properties, and Dragon Quest. Their mobile division is huge and making bank but they're still probably one of, if not the largest Japanese developers and publishers in the traditional market worldwide outside Nintendo and maybe Bandai-Namco.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Honestly that might belong to Pokemon.

What mechanic in Pokemon? Take your pick. You've got IVs, EVs, natures, egg moves, shiny Pokemon, a few abilities... You don't have to engage with most of those mechanics, but they're there, and they're crunchy.

Don't forget Pokerus!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Sunning posted:

TLDR: Brave Exvius pays for everything.

Which is a bit disappointing, frankly, because FFBE is rather more player-hostile in terms of its design than a number of its competitors, even if some of its content is pretty good.

Hopefully they don't learn the wrong lessons from BE and try to step up to match what some of the competition is doing in terms of user-friendliness with their newer and upcoming titles.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Ventana posted:

They specifically list Amazon as an example what they are not doing. Instead, they want to merchandise their IP and make it easier for people to purchase (more sales channels, web app, etc). Ubisoft makes a lot of money off the Ubi Store (Games + DLC) and Ubi Workshop (Clothing, accessories, etc).

Ventana posted:

Mobile always brought in the big bucks disproportionate to the resources put into them. They've just started making more mobile games and shifting more development in-house.

When they first started entering mobile, they made a lot of duds because they didn't understand the market. So they worked with mobile companies like DeNA and split the profits with them. Now, they have a better idea of how to make hits and more of those hits are in-house.

SpaceDrake posted:

Which is a bit disappointing, frankly, because FFBE is rather more player-hostile in terms of its design than a number of its competitors, even if some of its content is pretty good.

Hopefully they don't learn the wrong lessons from BE and try to step up to match what some of the competition is doing in terms of user-friendliness with their newer and upcoming titles.

One lesson they've learned is that much of the Final Fantasy userbase has aged out of consoles and these classic JRPG style mobile games are the best way to make money off of them.

The other lesson is to have better web security.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Maybe people would use the S-E store more often if it wasn’t a garbage fire of a website and run by incompetents.

Yes S-E, I’ll sure buy from your store again when the last time I bought FFXIV Stormblood CE, you somehow couldn’t ship it before the release making sure that I wouldn’t be able to continue playing the game because my early access code expired before I got the game. I would have had to wait a week before I could have started the expansion content so I had to buy a digital copy so I could continue playing.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Are they going to try to compete with steam? They are kind of like Disney(in terms of tv shows and movies) in that they might have enough of a backlog to have at least a small sized market even without people signing up. An advantage they have over steam is that SE could ship physical console versions of games from the same storefront you can download PC games from. They already have a storefront, so the issue is setting up the download servers and making a client.

Then again, game sales work a lot different than movie streaming(Ownership especially), and older games don't get purchased as much. There might also be licensing issues based on agreements with developers they published for. Steam probably won't be happy, and people will be annoyed at yet enough place they need to buy their games from.

Am I missing anything?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Like others are saying it's more like merchandising bullshit they want to start selling more of direct. That comes with logistics issues to advise the shareholders on compared to "our games are on a CDN somewhere to sell y/n" or adding more interns to work on the site UIX.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just got gogo in 6 last night. Haven't used him yet, but do I just have to time his mimic command to make sure it copies whatever the previous action was?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Kingtheninja posted:

Just got gogo in 6 last night. Haven't used him yet, but do I just have to time his mimic command to make sure it copies whatever the previous action was?

Yes, but it happens immediately so that's not hard.

Also, mimicking Throw or item use does not expend items!

Dross fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 5, 2018

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I always brought Gogo along just to abuse his extra command slots and give myself whatever the rest of my party didn't have, or to double up on stuff like Lore.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kingtheninja posted:

If you go into his status screen, you can select 3 other commands as well.

Otherwise, mimic will just do the last friendly mimic-able action that resolves before the mimic command.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If you go into his status screen, you can select 3 other commands as well.

Otherwise, mimic will just do the last friendly mimic-able action that resolves before the mimic command.

This is important. Opinions on Gogo's usefulness tend to vary based on whether you know you can do this.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Also, if you give him the "Magic" command, he will have access to all the spells that everyone else in your current party knows, combined. So if Terra knows fire and Celes knows ice, but Edgar is back on the airship and knows Meteor, Gogo will have access to fire and ice, but not meteor.

Also, Gogo is the best way to use the Ragnarok esper, if morphing enemies is your thing. Usually it has a high failure rate and you get one cast per battle, but Gogo can just keep mimicing himself over and over again to keep using it until it works.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 5, 2018

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Bruceski posted:

This is important. Opinions on Gogo's usefulness tend to vary based on whether you know you can do this.

I didn't even consider that people might not know this. Which upon reflection, the game never goes out of it's way to tell you about.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I didn't even consider that people might not know this. Which upon reflection, the game never goes out of it's way to tell you about.

It blew my mind the first time I stumbled onto that, and I had already completed the game a few times prior.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I never knew that about Gogo. I played FF6 on a rom back in the day and, yeah, the game never tells you.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

It doesn't help that there's generally very little reason to go into the status screen at all, both in 6 and most of the rest of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

In old FF4 there was no way to tell if equipment affected stats except by checking status. It also gave you a better idea of if your attacks were better than your other characters because only there does it show your Multiplier. I guess to an extent old FF1-3 have similar hangups in having to check stats, but at least you were told in-battle how many hits you were doing back then.