Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Baron Corbyn posted:

The early years of Progress are really good story wise and the wrestling is great too and everything they've done is up there. Recent stuff is still great in ring but the stories haven't been as engaging.
I've been going through old Progress stuff and wholeheartedly agree. On all counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STAC Goat posted:

So does Chikara have a solid streaming service? Like is it worthwhile and practical to subscribe for a few months and binge the last few years because some of that sounds kind of fun and interesting.

Similarly, is anyone familiar with the CZW streaming service? I was binging some older CZW a year ago and more or less enjoying it so I've been thinking of doing the same binge subscription thing with them. But I got the impression the CZW service wasn't terrible well stocked or organized.

And are there any other companies who have services with banked years that are worth binging? I know NJPW but I like my english commentary. And ROH but it sounds like they don't have a lot of their stuff. WWN but it doesn't seem like they do much worth watching. There's the FiteApp but that seems like single purchases, not a monthly service fee thing. Anything else?

ROH has a lot of content on their service there's just very little pre 2010.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MassRafTer posted:

ROH has a lot of content on their service there's just very little pre 2010.

Yeah, but don't most people dislike most of the stuff post 2010?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

STAC Goat posted:

So does Chikara have a solid streaming service? Like is it worthwhile and practical to subscribe for a few months and binge the last few years because some of that sounds kind of fun and interesting.

Similarly, is anyone familiar with the CZW streaming service? I was binging some older CZW a year ago and more or less enjoying it so I've been thinking of doing the same binge subscription thing with them. But I got the impression the CZW service wasn't terrible well stocked or organized.

And are there any other companies who have services with banked years that are worth binging? I know NJPW but I like my english commentary. And ROH but it sounds like they don't have a lot of their stuff. WWN but it doesn't seem like they do much worth watching. There's the FiteApp but that seems like single purchases, not a monthly service fee thing. Anything else?

Chikara has a streaming service, its completely their thing but the live streaming is a Power Bomb TV deal(which I think is still behind Chikara's paywall)

Most indies have a pivotshare(ala carte VOD or monthly all you can watch), with HighSpots being an aggregator of a lot of them. CZW and OTT are good examples.

ROH and WWN both have their own thing and I have not heard a lot of positive noises out of either. Though I'm told you can watch DGUSA on WWN's which is worth the timewarp.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, but don't most people dislike most of the stuff post 2010?

Relatively speaking but post 2010 quality ROH compares favorably to many other indies.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

STAC Goat posted:

They have a seven-day trial if you want to give it a shot, but it's done right by me. I haven't had any issues with it. You get the whole Chikara library (not counting the Wrestling Is stuff, which is no big loss) and like I said earlier, live-streaming of every Wrestle Factory show. For this season there are about two Wrestle Factory shows per month, either in the form of a regular 3-hour show or their Hour of Power, which is a handful of matches and a couple storyline developments tossed in.

If anything, binge on all of King of Trios. They're always fun, even if the first two years are bloated as hell.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Have you looked at the highspots service? They have huge catalogs of many indy promotions. They may not be complete but there's tons to watch.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Relatively speaking but post 2010 quality ROH compares favorably to many other indies.

does it have Moroshima

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

exploded mummy posted:

does it have Moroshima

No. He's way before 2010. The main stuff worth watching would be ROH on HDTV , and the lead up angles to Kevin Steen running roughshod over ROH ( but not the actual title run).

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

mariooncrack posted:

Have you looked at the highspots service? They have huge catalogs of many indy promotions. They may not be complete but there's tons to watch.

Yea Highspots is great. PWG, CZW, AAW, Defy, PCW Ultra, Bar Wrestling, PWX, NEW, Wrestling Revolver, WXW, some good documentaries and a fuckload of shoots.

It’s absolutely worth the money and they add stuff all the time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

NJPW has English commentary.

I think the point was that the English stuff on New Japan World only goes back to 2016. (Speaking of, does Jarrett somehow still own the WK9 footage with JR and Striker's announcing?)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Not only that, he also owns the AAA title

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

Gavok posted:

Quack went a long stretch where he was "retired," but wrestled on the side as El Hijo del Ice Cream, which isn't the most physically demanding. He remained an on-air character as commentator and authority figure, coming back to wrestle for special matches like a series with Johnny Kidd or an angle culminating in Max Smashmaster's retirement match. Recently, he just put over the company's champion.

Those last two things are connected. The Squaredcircle mod is Kevin Condron, who appeared to be booking a huge chunk of his own angles, including the whole "Missile Assault Ant blew up a busload of children in Zimbabwe" thing. Then he moved to California, had less to do with the product and had a falling out because he no longer had the same level of creative control. The Missile Assault Man feud just sort of ended, Condron stopped showing up (while openly complaining on Twitter) and later got in a bigger argument with Quack over the rights to the Jervis Cottonbelly gimmick. Even though he was good in the ring, they never really figured out what to do with Missile Assault Man and he left the company last year.

As for what's been going on with the company in the last few years:

- After the whole Ashes storyline and its aftermath angle died down, they did a season-long stable-based double round robin tournament. It led to Kimber Lee's stable winning and she got the opportunity to Money in the Bank herself into being the champ later that night. They made a big deal out of how Kimber Lee and Heidi Lovelace held the two singles titles.

- A hilarious situation at one King of Trios where Fenix loudly screamed "gently caress YOU!" during one spot, which caused Quack to blow a gasket. Cooler heads prevailed the next day and Fenix's team ended up winning the tournament.

- A season-long storyline about much of the roster being mind-controlled into becoming an evil X-Men pastiche with UltraMantis Black as the wheelchair psychic leader.

- An interesting gimmick where they went from Season 16 (2016) to Season 18 (2017). They had filmed an entire 9-show season in secret and gradually released it as part of their streaming service. It explained title changes, heel turns, gimmick changes and allowed Kimber Lee and Lovelace to get some last-minute matches in before heading to WWE.

- Most of 2017 was a slog. Much of the roster had left, what remained was mostly new guys who hadn't found their footing, the angles weren't very interesting and they pushed a midcard heel (Juan Francisco de Coronado) as champion and have been putting him over established faces to the point that it's still happening with no end in sight. Even King of Trios was kind of theresince they went to England and the roster was made up of mostly guest teams. It was also the third KOT in a row to have a guest team vs. guest team final, which says a lot about the Chikara roster quality.

- 2018 has been a big step up in quality. To get more eyes on the streaming service, every Wrestle Factory show is streamed live. Nearly every show is there with exceptions being Infinite Gauntlet (their Royal Rumble) and King of Trios. The negative is that it means zero touring.

So they've cooled their heels a ton. I forgot about the Kimber Lee Grand Champion thing. Which folkd of the new bunch are worth checking out?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Qoey posted:

So they've cooled their heels a ton. I forgot about the Kimber Lee Grand Champion thing. Which folkd of the new bunch are worth checking out?

I really like the Xyberhawx2000 dudes.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Qoey posted:

Razerhawk from the Xyberhawx 2000 (which is supposed to be reversal of the New Breed/Tekno Team 2000 gimmick, kind of like that Jetsons episode of Harvey Birdman), Solo Darling, Travis Huckabee, Merlok, Oceanea and the Whisper. Other new guys are hide to gauge so far, but they at least have prime gimmicks/storylines to keep the bloom on the rose.

Unfortunately they recently lost their awesome ring announcer Vlad Radinov, who really added a lot to the shows.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Gavok posted:

Razerhawk from the Xyberhawx 2000 (which is supposed to be reversal of the New Breed/Tekno Team 2000 gimmick, kind of like that Jetsons episode of Harvey Birdman), Solo Darling, Travis Huckabee, Merlok, Oceanea and the Whisper. Other new guys are hide to gauge so far, but they at least have prime gimmicks/storylines to keep the bloom on the rose.

Unfortunately they recently lost their awesome ring announcer Vlad Radinov, who really added a lot to the shows.

indies would do well to do more "like that ___ episode of harvey birdman" booking, IMO

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

oh yeah, Oceanea is really good too. If you ever wanted to see your lil auntie turn into a sea witch and break people twice her size, she's the one.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DJExile posted:

indies would do well to do more "like that ___ episode of harvey birdman" booking, IMO

Finally, an explanation for why Tatanka never gets booked for Kaiju Big Battel.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Meanwhile In DDT

quote:

Here's the set up to Shinichiro Tominaga Vs Mineo Fujita on the 17/6 Ganpro show: Fujita has a fed called Chinko Pro Wrestling. Low blows are allowed in his main events. Fujita is closing the fed down because he has dick injuries. Tominaga wants a match before the fed is closed.

BaldipISW
Mar 28, 2012
For those who appreciate demolition derby style four-way matches:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Reminder that NOVA Pro’s Commonwealth Cup is streaming on Powerbomb tonight.

First round includes Nick Gage vs PCO.

Gunner Miller and Eddie Kingston pulled out of the show, replacements are Homicide and Jonathan Gresham.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/GCWrestling_/status/1005104864354099202

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/JANELABABY/status/1005167185193586688?s=19

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I guess that's the pseudo-Spring Break that Joey has been teasing.

I wonder how much of the card they'll be announcing.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
https://twitter.com/ogkevingill/status/1003081352399355904

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OGB posted:

I guess that's the pseudo-Spring Break that Joey has been teasing.

I wonder how much of the card they'll be announcing.

I'm guessing PCO vs. Riddle is happening since Joey was teasing that on Twitter a few days ago

Kind of shocked they're not running Hammerstein - this place holds 800 so it'll have more of a vibe of the first Spring Break than this year's iteration

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
The crowd was already going to go nuts for Omega and Okada at All In, but after the match they just put on I expect the whole drat roof to blow off the cow palace.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
God Jeff Cobb really is built like a refrigerator
https://twitter.com/AchillesF6/status/1005584003733377024?s=19
Also lol that Ethan Page had to take this pic because no one else is around

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

EugeneJ posted:

I'm guessing PCO vs. Riddle is happening since Joey was teasing that on Twitter a few days ago

Kind of shocked they're not running Hammerstein - this place holds 800 so it'll have more of a vibe of the first Spring Break than this year's iteration

I think the Hammerstein's booking fees went real high because they were tired of doing wrestling shows.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Super Indy 2017 was great and every match on the tourney was worth buying it wherever IWC puts their shows on.

The opening match and the finals were definitely up there (Finals are a MOTYC for me)

Only bad parts were some of the local stuff wasn't that hot (there is this giant guy with a great look, but he's much weaker than a tall muscle guy lets on)

Only really bad part was I got a severe migraine by the end of the tourney, so I got an autograph with Janela and had to drive 45 of the worst goddamn minutes of my life where I thought I was going to throw up, get in a car accident, die, or all of the above.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

michael elgin's company booked enzo

apparently its a different promotion with glory in their name.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
NOVA Pro was good and cool this weekend

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

neonbregna posted:

NOVA Pro was good and cool this weekend

https://twitter.com/avalanchestyle/status/1005462354086301696

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I thought it was Too Much. I don't understand how he let the night shows start to creep above 3 hours and why he keeps letting them stay there. The afternoon show Saturday was barely 2 hours and it was nice.

Anyway, I got these:
https://twitter.com/Boco_T/status/1005297446300344320
https://twitter.com/Boco_T/status/1005949364311875584

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

STONE COLD 64 posted:

michael elgin's company booked enzo

apparently its a different promotion with glory in their name.

amazing red's company

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I hope he does the rap. not the first one. but the second one. then turns to dust right before everyone.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Boco_T posted:

I thought it was Too Much. I don't understand how he let the night shows start to creep above 3 hours and why he keeps letting them stay there. The afternoon show Saturday was barely 2 hours and it was nice.

Anyway, I got these:
https://twitter.com/Boco_T/status/1005297446300344320
https://twitter.com/Boco_T/status/1005949364311875584

Agreed. While everything was good the crowd seemed to get fatigued during the last third. I wonder if it would make sense for them to run a show every 3 weeks or so

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

neonbregna posted:

Agreed. While everything was good the crowd seemed to get fatigued during the last third. I wonder if it would make sense for them to run a show every 3 weeks or so
I am concerned about the finances in general because the gate has been way down the last few shows. The afternoon show Saturday had less than 100 people and the two night shows seemed to only draw about 200. Coming from the end of last year having a few shows around 300+, it's concerning.

Then again, I think Mike King gets the undercards for basically free, there seem to be a lot of lower level people that will drive in from Ohio or Georgia or whatever to wrestle 5 minutes on the pre-show. And there is a chance of it paying off to some degree, I mean Isaiah Frazier has languished here for a year or more and he got to wrestle Nick Aldis for the NWA title.

Also in case you didn't see it, the lol / groan of the weekend was that Brad Stutts was doing commentary on the Friday pre-show and people at the show gave him poo poo for it so he tweeted that Brad will no longer be appearing. Then his wife tweeted out like "Mike came home crying because Social Justice Warriors made him tell his close friend that he couldn't work his wrestling shows any more"

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
You are going to get a reaction/rejection if you return unannounced after six months without warning, an apology or explanation.

Mike probably thought he was doing right by a close friend and had his judgment clouded.

To a certain degree, I feel bad for Stutts as the prostitution ring aspect as overblown from the people I've talked to. Also, Brad seems to have completely distanced himself from Charlie Armstrong. However, he probably can't say that publicly or talk about what happened in the past as Charlie is a fraudster and bad dude so there's probably a fear of a reprisal.

But if you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas so....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I know that checks out because I sleep with a 70lb coonhound