Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Fister Roboto posted:

It would affect my decision, yeah, but that's still not a broad implication. It's still just choosing between building in province A to increase my income by 0.1 or province B to increase it by 0.11.

You did it you oversimplified something so hard it becomes meaningless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Drone posted:

Our little quirky strategy game company has come a long way. Paradox just announced that they're purchasing a 100% stake of Hairbrained Schemes.

I'm looking forward to the inevitable Battletech Grand Strategy Game: Successor Lords. A whole new map to inflict border gore on!

Seriously though, CK2 in space with giant robots. GIMMIE

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

You did it you oversimplified something so hard it becomes meaningless

Yeah that's my whole point. People are saying that buildings are cool and fun, and I'm saying that they're just a button you press to trade some money now for slightly more money later. The only reason you need to even think about is to figure out which button to press to get the most money, and the game mostly does that for you.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah that's my whole point. People are saying that buildings are cool and fun, and I'm saying that they're just a button you press to trade some money now for slightly more money later. The only reason you need to even think about is to figure out which button to press to get the most money, and the game mostly does that for you.

Why bother conquering provinces should just have a button to add a province to the empire. Anything else is meaningless busy work

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, it would be extremely bad if you just had a button to do that. I'm saying that buildings are like that button, and it shouldn't be that way. You're an idiot.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why bother conquering provinces should just have a button to add a province to the empire. Anything else is meaningless busy work

If you can't see that conquering a province and building something have vastly differing amounts of thought required to do the action well, you're sort of silly. Not to say that buildings need to go, but arguing that gold producing buildings have deep and interesting decisions related to them is just wrong.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Honestly I’m not sure why there is a game at all, it should just be a gif of the map slowly changing to the color of the faction you chose.

Anything else is meaningless

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Honestly I’m not sure why there is a game at all, it should just be a gif of the map slowly changing to the color of the faction you chose.

Anything else is meaningless

You're a loving idiot.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Here's what I'm saying just to be clear: buildings are loving boring, and they shouldn't be.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

You're a loving idiot.

Look all I’m saying is playing the game is boring.

So we should streamline it

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You really earned that av, holy poo poo.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Fister Roboto posted:

Here's what I'm saying just to be clear: buildings are loving boring, and they shouldn't be.

I don't disagree with this. I'd still take what we have over nothing at all though.

Also, this is an oddly hostile discussion for being about loving buildings of all things.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Same

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Fister Roboto posted:

So, if you could design a mapgame, how would you approach the idea of conquest, provinces, economy, trade, and so on? Tell us what your ideal would be.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Koramei posted:

I don't disagree with this. I'd still take what we have over nothing at all though.

Also, this is an oddly hostile discussion for being about loving buildings of all things.

I’m just tired of paradox fans being giant babies about game mechanics that aren’t conquest.

If they had their way it would literally be the only mechanic and that’s boring

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Koramei posted:

Yeah sorry about that, a lot of the time my posts just come across as angry when I'm really not. And just to be perfectly clear, I'm not saying that buildings SHOULD be replaced by a cookie clicker button, but that they currently COULD be because I honestly don't see the difference, with the implication that that's a bad thing. I think that something should be done to make buildings not as simple as just getting the best ROI.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'd like to see more interactions with other things, like someone mentioned a bit back. Like how markets and universities give you extra institution spread, more stuff like that. I think doing too much to them does risk making them needlessly complicated though, and while I kinda see where you're coming from, it does need to be simple when you're dealing with hundreds of the drat things.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well, a good way to fix that problem would be to move buildings to the state level, like I said a while back.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Drone posted:

Our little quirky strategy game company has come a long way. Paradox just announced that they're purchasing a 100% stake of Hairbrained Schemes.

Not to cut in too much on the buildings debate (I am pro-buildings) but this is pretty exciting news. As a Seattlite, if I end up getting the job at Paradox (this is still in the works), maybe I can just hang out in a corner at Harebrained instead of moving my family to Stockholm? A Paradox Seattle satellite office, if you will. I could put up a little sign above the potted plants I'd be hiding behind designating official Paradox space.

oh and also more amazing battletech games or something? idk

Edit: Jag ska talar svenska, om de vill ha det.

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 5, 2018

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

ExtraNoise posted:

Not to cut in too much on the buildings debate (I am pro-buildings) but this is pretty exciting news. As a Seattlite, if I end up getting the job at Paradox (this is still in the works), maybe I can just hang out in a corner at Harebrained instead of moving my family to Stockholm? A Paradox Seattle satellite office, if you will. I could put up a little sign above the potted plants I'd be hiding behind designating official Paradox space.

The faq did say hairbrained was hiring as well, but I'd expect that to be a different process?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ExtraNoise posted:

If you ask really nicely you might get to serve drinks at the secret Paradox beach property during their vacation. It will however involve mopping up a lot of vomit after the Mr Universe competition which may or may not involve a Blorg in speedos.

Also Stockholm is full of stockholmare so I would strongly advise against moving there.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Autonomous Monster posted:

I thought that last one was a joke, but apparently the poster is in deadly earnest.

I'd be amused if whenever you played Rome it did that. And only when playing as Rome.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
It’s a shame that the timeline doesn’t extend to the 70s. I want to be able to appoint Isidorus the Aedile Of Pompeii. He has the skills we need. https://www.google.com/amp/s/tourguidegirl.wordpress.com/2017/05/26/graffiti-of-pompeii/amp/

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Rynoto posted:

Manufactories especially are a big (500) early investment that could be better spent on cheaper and more powerful temples (100) or keeping the war machine going to increase your income through raw province levels. Or gold.

Yoooooou

don't know what you're talking about in this case friend, I'm sorry. That said, to be fair, production isn't the most crystal clear income method in the world.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m just tired of paradox fans being giant babies about game mechanics that aren’t conquest.

If they had their way it would literally be the only mechanic and that’s boring

makes sense not-war tends to be hanging around making arbitrary motions to get your aims while conquest is pretty clear cut

i don't disagree with you, mind, but i understand

Buildings are weird and kinda dumb in that most of them are pretty useless, or at least use impaired. Temples are worthless, the two flavors of manpower depend on how small your country is (and the forcelimit ones, obv) while the trade ones obv just go in the trade provinces, leaving you with mandatory manufactories and universities and then eeeh

They have a purpose - doubly so when development wasn't a thing - but I do hope it's cleaned up some in EU the fifth/Romicky 3. That's true about a lot of things tho

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm looking forward to the inevitable Battletech Grand Strategy Game: Successor Lords. A whole new map to inflict border gore on!

Knowing paradox the mechs will just be a generic picture with zero depth like EU4's infantry/cav/artillery.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Drone posted:

Nice. Now please acquire Alexis Kennedy and get him to work (write!) on a That Which Sleeps game.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Demiurge4 posted:

Nice. Now please acquire Alexis Kennedy and get him to work (write!) on a That Which Sleeps game.

Just so long as you don't let him design the TWS clone...

Can you clone a game which doesn't exist? :thunk:

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
hey Paradox you should fire HBS dev and serial harasser Tyler Carpenter and hire someone good instead, thanks

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tomn posted:

There's an indie game called Stellar Monarch whose mission statement is basically this. "You're an Emperor, you don't have to give a poo poo about all the details, your underlings will handle that while you do the big picture."

Yeah, it's a good game and probably the best at making running a big empire fun because it looks at things in the big picture.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, it's a good game and probably the best at making running a big empire fun because it looks at things in the big picture.

And then there's Alliance of the Sacred Suns which aims to do the same but... Yeah.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Koramei posted:

I'd like to see more interactions with other things, like someone mentioned a bit back. Like how markets and universities give you extra institution spread, more stuff like that. I think doing too much to them does risk making them needlessly complicated though, and while I kinda see where you're coming from, it does need to be simple when you're dealing with hundreds of the drat things.

I'd like to see buildings be a long term strategic choice that's on part with some of the other big choices made in the game. Right now, every building essentially breaks down to a different flavor of income (manpower and force limits included, as you can buy mercs and pay more to exceed force limits). Rather than making hundreds of small decisions, it'd be nice to make a few big decisions to influence the development of your country.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
As a city-builder at heart, the main thing I want is the return of graphical representations for all buildings.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

Sio posted:

hey Paradox you should fire HBS dev and serial harasser Tyler Carpenter and hire someone good instead, thanks

I did a quick google search and didn’t come up with anything for ‘HBS Tyler Carpenter harassment.’ Care to share some details?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

As a city-builder at heart, the main thing I want is the return of graphical representations for all buildings.

It just works a lot better when you're building only in state capitals, IMO. And even that should be automated at some point, so you can build the best stuff in your regional capitals and ignore the rest.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It just works a lot better when you're building only in state capitals, IMO. And even that should be automated at some point, so you can build the best stuff in your regional capitals and ignore the rest.
What happens if the provinces in a state are owned by multiple nations? Do they all get a fraction of the benefit?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

What happens if the provinces in a state are owned by multiple nations? Do they all get a fraction of the benefit?

I can't remember quite what Vicky II did about this. I think it was possible to get less than a whole state (maybe just a province or two) in a war if you had claims on only part of the state. But yeah you'd need to scale it down for something like the HRE where there are a lot of countries smaller than a whole state.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

You pass a law and have to pay x money, ongoing, to hire the judges or fire inspectors or whatever and it has y effect. The physical building is assumed to have been built and maintained with the money.

e: something like a manufactory should be a one-off tying into tech progress, "establish foundry" or whatever, and then "hire awesome metallurgist", "commission bell / statue / novelty size cannon", "establish another permanent position for a metallurgist", "institutionalize metallurgist education" etc etc. Basically the whole historical gradual expansion / deepening of the state.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 6, 2018

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I think certain buildings should probably create more wealth/resources of sorts depending on the population living there. So if you have rich Egyptian farms, you want a few aristocrats and lots of farmers to put it to work. If you have mines in Iberia, having slaves there works them for a bunch of money and if you are below a threshold, they give you less because they can't find people to work there. That way you're incentivized to keep certain pop levels in your country, go to war if you need more slaves, allow or restrict social mobility etc. I don't know if this would be bothersome for the people who squirm at anything less than 100% efficiency or if this would be simulationist, though.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Isn't there already a space mod for CK2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

BenRGamer posted:

Isn't there already a space mod for CK2?

Yes, Crisis of the Confederation, but it hasn't been updated in years and doesn't work with the current version of the game.