Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

colas posted:

wtf, green tribbles? I don't think anyone sells those around here.

I got mine on amazon. If you do that though make sure to be picky about recent reviews + the seller since there are a lot of fakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
What’s it called when long sleeved shirts have like a little hole for you to put your thumb through

I’d like to get a couple shirts in that style

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

colas posted:

Any recommendations for low maintenance houseplants? I can't keep anything alive.

Peace lily, snake plant, spider plant. You can kill the first, but it lets you know it wants water by wilting dramatically. Also known as a resurrection plant for this reason.

Aloe is also good.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Furia posted:

What’s it called when long sleeved shirts have like a little hole for you to put your thumb through

I’d like to get a couple shirts in that style

I have a Patagonia Tropic Comfort shirt that does this and I love it. It’s lightweight and super airy. Also has an attached hoodie to protect your neck, but they sell one without the hood.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Anyone have suggestions for a cooling pillow? My pillow runs a bit hot and with summer coming I don't want to die.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

noni that I know of

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
There was a thread somewhere about modding pillows. I couldn't tell if it was serious or not but they appeared to be doing some pretty crazy stuff like powered heating & cooling setups, lighting, and all kinds of other weird things. Couldn't find it in DIY though, maybe it got archived.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I got an Easy Breather pillow from Nest a while back and really like it, it doesn't run hot at all. They have a cooling pillow, the Active X, that's probably worth a shot if you don't just leave the AC set to 68 all summer like me cause gently caress it.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

obi_ant posted:

Anyone have suggestions for a cooling pillow? My pillow runs a bit hot and with summer coming I don't want to die.

"Noni” posted:

Considering the goon community, I can't believe I'm the first to mention this, but have you considered pillow mods? Forget about those expensive, off-the-shelf premium pillows and build your own pillow rigs that have the qualities that you desire. Heck, some of those fancy commercial pillows should be avoided for their outright theft of components and ideas that were developed in the pillmod community. Notably, Serta's FaceHugger line was recalled entirely after they realized the looming PR disaster that a bunch of sleep nerds would incite.

I've been into pillow modding for a few years now and have managed to improve my sleep efficiency index from 0.69 to 0.85 (I'm a class 4b sleeper). You can build a full-featured pillmod for less than $100. Hell, I've made a half-dozen models and not spent more than $200.

Before you start modding, you should heed the standard warning and check if you have sleep apnea or anything medically obstructive. Sure, your vanilla pillows are probably annoying to sleep on, but sleep apnea could be compounding the issue by permitting minor annoyances, like pillow temperature, to wake you easily. More importantly, a few people with pillmods have died while sleeping. Although many of us doubt the involvement of their mods (people who enter the community are prone to sleep issues in the first place), it's still good advice to follow.

If you do have sleep apnea, then pillmods should be hugely advantageous. In fact, the pillmod community began around sleep apnea machines (CPAPs) and their inconveniences, especially for those whose preferred sleep postures are obstructed by CPAP facepieces. The earliest mods involved simply cutting channels into memory foam pillows, and then using freezer gel inserts to cool the pillow. They would also have to reinforce the channel so that the weight of a person's head wouldn't crush the air tubes.

But now, especially with the availability of Arduino kits and cooling systems intended for electronics, there are hundreds of pillmods that you could complete in a few hours.

It seems like most people are drawn to do PCS projects for their first mods. That's fine, but be aware that the better PCS (Pillow Coolant Systems) typically are of moderate difficulty or higher. They are also costly and time-consuming, relative to other mods you could start with such as glowmods, larms, and just simply modding a pillow's material and shape to your headspace.

Here's my first glowmod larm, for example:

This is a good starter mod combination because people like it for light therapy and smooth awakenings. The pillow gradually gets brighter until your wake-up time. You can also set it to gradually get darker at night. It's the adult version of those Glow-Worms that infants love.

But if you are dead-set on a PCS mod, I suggest strongly that you forget about those flashy, complex pillmods that involve watercooled networks of capillaries or, even worse, active heat sinks (such as piezoelectric heat transfer plates). Instead, opt for something silent, passive, and/or battery-based. For example, I have build a mod called "The Vulcan Nerve Pinch" that will get you about 20 degrees F in cooling delta on soft air ducting alone. Yeah, that's not much, but don't be the guy who blows $300 on his first project and builds a pillow that gives his face hypothermia on the first test run.

Once you get some basic know-how, and you're beyond the flashy mods and ready for something purely functional, check out shape or volume mods. These will actively keep your head at the perfect elevation. JB_Artgow is well known for his expertise in this area. I'm using his Face-Lover v3 mod (Affectionately also known as "Face-Fucker v3") every night. That's where Serta hijacked their FaceHugger brand name from. Allegedly.

The Face-Fucker involves inflation and deflation of semi-rigid water bladders to redistribute the pow's volume. It sounds complex, but it's easy if you buy a parts kit. It uses a silent pump and osmotic gradients to work. You can calibrate it based on both your head's weight and angle. Unlike many other volume mods, this is one-mod-fits-all, so you don't have to design around your giant noggin.

Artgow also has a ebook on Amazon (It's only $2), with instructions for something like 100 mods. He doesn't make money on the book, but he does make a few pennies if you buy parts kits from him directly. This beats the poo poo out of finding a Radio Shack that still stocks diodes and capacitors.

Now I'd like to brag for a bit and talk about some of the more exciting, extreme pillmod possibilities, some of which I just warned you against doing. I'm in the middle of building a custom, arduino-controlled pow with about 12 different mods. Although piezoelectric coolers are all the rage right now, I'm sticking to good old fashioned microducting for cooling. However, I'm using infrared LEDs for heating. The latter are normally expensive, but Dealextreme sells them in bulk for cheap. I think they're sold out recently thanks to jerks like me, however.

I don't like a warm face. The heating mod is just for camping in the cold or when I want to use the pillow as a heating pad for sore muscles. Also: sheer awesomeness.

Here's a schematic (not mine):

As for straight-up ducted cooling, the next image is my take on how one spiderwebs their coolant ducts. You have to be careful here not to bend the tiny tubes more than about 60 degrees or put them in a position where your noggin might bend them. That might look complex, but I used only 4 channels with a coolant turnover (in this case, just water) of 2 seconds for the entire surface to cycle.

By the way, medical tubing works just fine, but make sure that it's both flexible and a directional heat conductor, like Vekspan, which is used for anastomosis. If you buy non-direction stuff, hose down the pow-side with some plastidip from your hardware store, or just throw down a layer of aluminized cloth. The lovely crinkly stuff costs a whopping $1 at Dollar Tree, labeled as an "emergency blanket." You can pilfer the softer stuff from a BBQ apron.

Once this thing is done, I intend to stress test it by running both the heating and cooling systems and letting them fight it out to the death. Of course, in a battle of the PCS vs PHS, I suspect the PHS will win and then torch my pillow.

This pillow is directional, obviously. Because I can't flip it over, I've build the base and core layers from flexible expanded polystyrene and ceramic fibers, which will probably give me mesothelioma eventually, but drat if I won't be well rested at least. I was inspired by a dude who made a low-rent version of aerogel so that he could win an award for "Lightest Pillow" at Pillowcon 2010. My pow, without the mod gear, weighs 2 ounces. :D

Now, uniquely for me, because my bed is up against a brick wall, I need a pillow that can deal with a little bit of moisture. I like the brick wall for it being a huge heat sink, but it causes moisture to condense on pillows, especially fancy modded ones. This problem is solved by the combination of my core layers and a rechargeable dessicant. During the day, the dessicant tumbler is turned and heated, thus expelling moisture. It's so powerful that it'll suck the sweat right out of my massive head, but at least I'll never again have sweaty pillows.

Speaking of which, at Pillcon 2011, I was the massive fucker who won the door prize of John Cezrik's faux rabbit fur surface:

You'd think that such fur would be irritating against your face after a half-hour or so, but Cezrik's material has microcapillaries built to certain OCT ranges (OCT is optimal cheek temperature). It's like sleeping on a cloud of baby buttcheeks.

Speaking of babies, I actually enjoy the sound of water pumping through the coolant tubes right next to my ears. It's very soothing. Babies, apparently, are calmed by the sound of water swishing in your mouth right next to their ears, and that's what this is like.

Also being built into this pillow o' mine will be some alarm aromatics. Not only can I wake up to a gradually-brightening, sunny pow, but the aroma of my choice (Bacon) can also waft out.

And if the gentle sound of the water pumping isn't soothing enough, I've got three speakers and the Arduino can easily generate some white noise or play sounds of various environments like the motherfucking ocean. I prefer low-range, soft brown noise. I'll have none of that hissy poo poo that store-bought machines put out.

The nice thing about having noise generated in your pillow is that the sound doesn't permeate the rest of the room. So if your significant other likes a dead quiet room and you need some noise, this is a fine solution.

Of course, all those mods result in an awful lot of wiring:

That's enough pillmod talk, I suppose. gently caress it bitches, let's glow this joint:

If this kind of thing appeals to you, there's also the blanketmod community. However, I tend to stay away from them due to it being populated by perverts who essentially make sex toys out of their comforters, which they call, obviously, "cumforters." Pillmodders are, in essence, nerds who are poor sleepers. Blanketmodders, in contrast, cut dick-sized holes in blankets with anime patterns on them and think they're engineers.

There is, however, a clever mod that came out of that community that involves a mere $30 in parts and makes your bed vibrate like the "magic fingers" machines found in crappy motels. It's really just a few off-balance weights powered by scrap motors, but entertaining.

e: this was a post made by Noni, I couldn't quote it because archives.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Inspector 34 posted:

There was a thread somewhere about modding pillows. I couldn't tell if it was serious or not but they appeared to be doing some pretty crazy stuff like powered heating & cooling setups, lighting, and all kinds of other weird things. Couldn't find it in DIY though, maybe it got archived.

A facebook friend of mine made pillowmodding real and it freaks me out a little. This is an IRL "glowmod" :stonk:

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
I'm not sure if this is the thread for this, but the concentrated expertise here should know: I have an Amazon Prime account in Mexico. I have a Sony SmartTV, computers, an iPad and a Roku. I want to watch Amazon Prime videos on my TV but neither Roku nor Sony appear to have a Prime Video app available (at least in Mexico). Given these tools, can anyone recommend a way to achieve my goal?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Connect the computer or tablet to the TV and play the video through either.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
Might there be a wireless option?

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
If you want to get a dedicated streaming box, I highly suggest the Nvidia Shield console. I'm surprised that the roku won't stream from Amazon prime though honestly, I thought the newer ones were supposed to be pretty good.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Get a firetv stick, it's cheap and good and you can sideload a bunch of cool stuff such as acestream player and kodi

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

100% Dundee posted:

If you want to get a dedicated streaming box, I highly suggest the Nvidia Shield console. I'm surprised that the roku won't stream from Amazon prime though honestly, I thought the newer ones were supposed to be pretty good.
Our new TCL tv with Roku interface streams Amazon Prime just fine.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Our new TCL tv with Roku interface streams Amazon Prime just fine.

That's what I've heard which is why I'm surprised the stand alone unit wouldn't have that feature or capability. Maybe it's a geographic lock type thing since he's in Mexico?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I don't think the app itself should be region locked, but might be on the roku. Amazon video streams fine on my fire stick here in Costa Rica, some of the actual content is region locked but the device/app aren't.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Looking for a large capacity water bottle for the office. Something 32oz or larger without looking like I'm lugging around a massive bubba.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

m.hache posted:

Looking for a large capacity water bottle for the office. Something 32oz or larger without looking like I'm lugging around a massive bubba.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06XRF4...D&pd_rd_w=sipO3

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

As tempting as those are, I can't really justify $100+ usd for a water bottle. Thanks though.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
RTIC makes decent ones that are inexpensive. Walmart’s Ozark Trail brand also makes them in a few sizes which are essentially the same thing. They are nothing fancy but keep poo poo cold for 24+ hours (with ice)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
For water my go-to is a narrow neck Nalgene bottle.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Just get whatever vacuum insulated bottle from Amazon. I carry a 1L and a 2L Hydroflask bottles to work because I can't drink room temperature water.

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hydroflask

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

These are my favorites.

https://smile.amazon.com/Hydro-Flas...+oz+hydro+flask

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Gonna also say these are also my favorite—I have three, and I do not regret the purchases. Just don’t drop them, and they’ll be the best waterbottles you’ve ever had

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm a big fan of Hydro Flasks. Just not the price.

Amazon has these knockoffs and they work fine https://smile.amazon.com/Simple-Modern-Summit-Water-Bottle/dp/B01DR2K5R0/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just lol if you pay for a branded vacuum sealed double walled stainless steel water bottle

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
My office has non-room-temperature-water in the water cooler.

They also provide us with cups.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002
I just found out the car I bought does not have adjustable air vents. They go slightly up/down, on/off, but no left/right so they point straight and just around me. I want something I can clip on there to aim/redirect the air to wherever I want. I feel like this should exist, but I've been failing on keywords to find anything.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I don't have an answer -- never heard of such a product -- but I really need to know what car that is :psyduck:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Whats the name of that coffee table book with a bunch of obscure and almost Lovecraftian designs and sketches?

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

George H.W. oval office posted:

Whats the name of that coffee table book with a bunch of obscure and almost Lovecraftian designs and sketches?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Seraphinianus

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

Trabant posted:

I don't have an answer -- never heard of such a product -- but I really need to know what car that is :psyduck:

2011 Taurus (dont make fun of me, I got the SHO). It was time for a turbo couch.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Are there any controllers for phones you guys could recommend? I just want to play old gba/snes games on my phone at work and I'm not a fan of the on screen controls.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

8bitdo's work over Bluetooth, I believe. Never used one myself, but I've heard they're well-built (but expensive).

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Adding to the 8bitdo suggestion. I don't think they produce their 1-to-1 reproduction of the SNES controller; but I think that is recent enough that you'll still be able to find one easily. Along with a clip that attaches to the controller so that it can hold your phone. But take a look at their other options; something might catch your fancy.

Edit: Yeah they stopped production of their straight SNES controller; but they do have one that is basically the same but it has dual analog sticks, an extra pair of shoulder buttons, and an extra couple of buttons to act as home/share buttons when it's used on a Switch.

Adeline Weishaupt has a new favorite as of 03:34 on Jun 14, 2018

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

OGDanDogg posted:

2011 Taurus (dont make fun of me, I got the SHO). It was time for a turbo couch.

Not trying to make fun, honestly. It was just such an unusual situation that I couldn't think of an example myself.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Has anyone bought a hoodie from Threadless? There's a couple designs that I love but drat $54 is a lot.

Alternatively, I'm looking for a hoodie <$40 but with the type of hood with two stitches so that, when it is up, it doesn't make a point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Inzombiac posted:

Has anyone bought a hoodie from Threadless? There's a couple designs that I love but drat $54 is a lot.

Alternatively, I'm looking for a hoodie <$40 but with the type of hood with two stitches so that, when it is up, it doesn't make a point.

I have a couple Threadless hoodies and like them but they're a few years old so they may be using a different manufacturer now. I don't know that they're worth $50+ but they used to do regular sales.

My current favorite hoodie is American Giant. Not cheap but built like a tank and super comfy. It has a huge hood, it's single seam but isn't pointy just cause it's so big that it collapses under its own weight. But, since it's so big it can kinda get in the way when it's down. I was wearing it in a movie the other day and basically was using it as a neck pillow. They make a summer weight hoodie that's cheaper and doesn't have such a voluminous hood.