Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, Wreck-It-Ralph 2 and Lego Movie 2 are practically looking like "DON'T [X], INSTEAD [Y]" examples in a textbook on writing sequels to animated films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

this just feels like hairsplitting about the relative level of hipness of different toy ads but otoh I'm apparently the like one millennial not consumed by nostalgia for Transformers or He-Man

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 5, 2018

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

this just feels like hairsplitting about the relative level of hipness of different toy ads but otoh I'm apparently the like one millennial not consumed by nostalgia for Transformers or He-Man
I'd :hfive: here, but realistically I'm consumed by nostalgia for something else entirely (retro video games being the most obvious culprit :retrogames:) so my lack of attachment to those two specific franchises matters little in the end, doesn't it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

21 Muns posted:

Wow, Wreck-It-Ralph 2 and Lego Movie 2 are practically looking like "DON'T [X], INSTEAD [Y]" examples in a textbook on writing sequels to animated films.

I could not agree more.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

LM2 is focused on the characters, and gives you and idea of what is going on, WIR2 feels like they're waffling from one gag to another with strong emphasis on branding and less on Ralph and Vanellope.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1004065315020369920?s=20
This looks like something I can get on board with

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

God, you're wasting Oscar Isaac as Gomez by just using his voice.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

He'd be no Raul Julia, but he certainly would come close.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

God, you're wasting Oscar Isaac as Gomez by just using his voice.

Sweet god the thought it wouldnt be live action with him never crossed my mind

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

21 Muns posted:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

I'm not completely sold on Wednesday but otherwise I love these designs.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
It's insane they have that cast to do an animated movie of this material. The only one who doesn't seem like they could pull off their part in live action is the Stranger Things kid

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I don't like fat Gomez

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

starkebn posted:

I don't like fat Gomez

Hopefully it doesn't change the character beyond that. If Gomez and Morticia aren't the most in love couple that was ever in love this movie will belong in the trash

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
seems they're leaning more towards the comics than the movies

https://twitter.com/DynaMoChen/status/1004077927561089024

it's actually kinda weird now that I think about it, the movies and TV series are what I think of when I hear Addam's Family, so that's how I picture the characters, but that's not how they were originally conceived

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah gomez was originally totally a kinda chubby weird dude

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

SatansBestBuddy posted:

seems they're leaning more towards the comics than the movies

https://twitter.com/DynaMoChen/status/1004077927561089024

it's actually kinda weird now that I think about it, the movies and TV series are what I think of when I hear Addam's Family, so that's how I picture the characters, but that's not how they were originally conceived

I now find it more bearable, if they've gone back to the roots I'm fine with it. Not that there's a big problem with fat Gomez just for the sake of it, but I just love the original tv version.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Not a big fan of fivehead Wednesday but I do like the Addams Family.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

By the way, based on the leg movement on the "alien" and etc, this is definite the LEGO Fairies and etc. lines, which are the "for girls" LEGO, so hopefully the plot will be about integrating the normal lego and the "for girls" LEGO and make it clear it's for everyone and is still meant to be mix and matched.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ccs posted:

Not a big fan of fivehead Wednesday but I do like the Addams Family.

It's kind of weird they went back to the early designs but kept her gloomy.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I like all but Wednesdays designs, the two live action movies are pretty much classics in my eyes, so it'll be interesting to see where they take the animated movie.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Addams are unironically the healthiest role model family in America so Im gonna be cross if this film is bad

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

The Addams are unironically the healthiest role model family in America so Im gonna be cross if this film is bad

Same but I'm also cross Raul Julia is dead

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Pick posted:

By the way, based on the leg movement on the "alien" and etc, this is definite the LEGO Fairies and etc. lines, which are the "for girls" LEGO, so hopefully the plot will be about integrating the normal lego and the "for girls" LEGO and make it clear it's for everyone and is still meant to be mix and matched.

...given that the last movie ended with the boy's toddler sister wanting to play and we're moving forwards five years, this makes perfect sense

e: also holy poo poo lmao if the boy is five years older no wonder the lego world is a grimdark edgy teenager fantasy land except for his Original Character Do Not Steal who he keeps the same out of an ironic sense of humor

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Barudak posted:

The Addams are unironically the healthiest role model family in America

Oh my god someone else thinks this, too.

More than once, in my time as a father and husband, I've asked myself "What would Gomez do?"

The answer was always the right answer.

The Addams Family is wholesome as gently caress.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Addams family is loving great.

Pick fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 6, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Addams Family movies are so good

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
"He won't eat, he can't sleep, he keeps coughing up blood."

"He coughs up blood?"

"Well, not like he used to..."

Morticia is the best.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

God I hope the cartoon manages to keep her mood lighting

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh my god someone else thinks this, too.

More than once, in my time as a father and husband, I've asked myself "What would Gomez do?"

The answer was always the right answer.

The Addams Family is wholesome as gently caress.

It's amazing, because they were the 'weird inhuman' family, the TV series got away with a lot more - they were the only couple that looked and acted like they were genuinely in love with each other.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

...Pastels?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Robindaybird posted:

It's amazing, because they were the 'weird inhuman' family, the TV series got away with a lot more - they were the only couple that looked and acted like they were genuinely in love with each other.

The whole family is amazing, especially considering how old the show is.

Gomez and Morticia are clearly head over heels in love with each other. It's passionate without being raunchy. They also talk out their problems; any time they disagree (which isn't common), they work to see the others' point of view. It's a model of how to have a successful relationship.

The kids are given freedom to learn and explore and make mistakes, and supported at all times. It's a model of how to raise children to be independent without running wild.

There's no snarky "I hate the in-laws" crap with grandmama, even Lurch is treated with respect. There's not a single person they interact with who is treated poorly. It's a model of how to treat others in your sphere of influence, even when they're on the edges of it.

The women are treated as equals. Physical differences mean nothing. The Addamses default to inclusiveness at all times. It's a model of how to treat others, even those you don't understand.

I could go on and on. I love the Addams Family, both the original B&W show and the movies.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

The whole family is amazing, especially considering how old the show is.

I'm worried the cartoon is going to fail to get this right. There's an endless supply of hack writers who think bickering couples who hate each other is comedy gold.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Honestly, there hasn't really been a bad adaption of The Addams Family as far as I can remember. Even the previous cartoon that ran back in the 90's was fairly decent.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Calaveron posted:

God I hope the cartoon manages to keep her mood lighting

Barry Sonnenfeld is directing the A Series of Unfortunate Events series on Netflix and I laughed really hard when he used that exact same light bar trick for Nathan Fillion's character.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Larryb posted:

Honestly, there hasn't really been a bad adaption of The Addams Family as far as I can remember. Even the previous cartoon that ran back in the 90's was fairly decent.

The musical is good too.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ungulateman posted:

...given that the last movie ended with the boy's toddler sister wanting to play and we're moving forwards five years, this makes perfect sense

e: also holy poo poo lmao if the boy is five years older no wonder the lego world is a grimdark edgy teenager fantasy land except for his Original Character Do Not Steal who he keeps the same out of an ironic sense of humor

Thinking about it, it seems likely the outer narrative would likely just have to do with his sister wanting to play with his legos and him refusing because he thinks she should stick to her girl toys, and thus the kidnapping of all his favorites but the one one lame guy.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ConfusedUs posted:

I could go on and on. I love the Addams Family, both the original B&W show and the movies.

My only real relation to the Addams Family is the 90's version, never saw the cartoon or the old 60's show, and I think I saw the movies all of once each. But I did see a lot of the 90's show, and I remember it being goofy fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I really only watched the 60s one (nick at nite whatup) and the movies. Always thought they were good stuff.