Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
He's also got a 112 wRC+ so the idea that he's been a net negative at the plate is...wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I feel like mcmagic is a deep cover Red Sox fan or something just constantly belittling our team at even the slightest hint that everything that could possibly be going right for us isn't occurring all at once.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

RCarr posted:

I feel like mcmagic is a deep cover Red Sox fan or something just constantly belittling our team at even the slightest hint that everything that could possibly be going right for us isn't occurring all at once.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I’m convinced McMagic is some kind of false flag poster who is purposefully trying to be the most stereotypically terrible Yankees fan of all time to make us all look bad

Finally someone who agrees with me

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Inspector_666 posted:

He's also got a 112 wRC+ so the idea that he's been a net negative at the plate is...wrong.

My dad hates hicks

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kim Jong Il posted:

This opinion is hilariously bad. They both play great defense and are OBP machines, ever before Gardner's recent surge. They're both really good. Why do you want everyone to be a Joe Carter clone.

Hicks' OBP is 352... That isn't exactly a "machine". His isoBP is fine but he's still hitting 250 with not much power. Gardner's OBP is 10 points higher and his SLG is a bit lower in a down year. They are both having pretty mediocre years with Gardner being an elite defender and hicks being slightly over average. The question of if they are a better team with Frazier in LF and Gardner in CF is hardly crazy.

Edit: Bad
https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/1004093409252872193

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 5, 2018

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Hicks' OBP is 352... That isn't exactly a "machine". His isoBP is fine but he's still hitting 250 with not much power. Gardner's OBP is 10 points higher and his SLG is a bit lower in a down year. They are both having pretty mediocre years with Gardner being an elite defender and hicks being slightly over average. The question of if they are a better team with Frazier in LF and Gardner in CF is hardly crazy.

Edit: Bad
https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/1004093409252872193

Yo he is literally 54th in the league in on base percentage what the loving christ are you smoking

also that sucks :(

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yo he is literally 54th in the league in on base percentage what the loving christ are you smoking

also that sucks :(

I'm not sure what 54th in the league is supposed to mean.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Sucks about Gumby but I'm not shocked by the news.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I'm not sure what 54th in the league is supposed to mean.

Just a wild guess but I'd wager it means he is #54 if you were to list every player's OBP from the highest to the lowest.

I can't believe the first person I've ever considered ignoring during my 11 years on this website is a fellow Yankee fan in a Yankees thread. Can you please stop?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 5, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RCarr posted:

Just a wild guess but I'd wager it means he is #54 if you were to list every player's OBP from the highest to the lowest.

I mean, I would agree that doesn't qualify him as an OBP "monster."

But I also don't think it's time to designate him, he's not an offensive negative.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Also, Brett Gardner is top 20 in WAR in baseball. That's how good his defense is so the conversation should be about Hicks and only Hicks and I still don't get why thinking Frazier would do better than him is the insane idea it's being made out to be in this thread.

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, I would agree that doesn't qualify him as an OBP "monster."

But I also don't think it's time to designate him, he's not an offensive negative.

When did I say he should be designated?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

Also, Brett Gardner is top 20 in WAR in baseball. That's how good his defense is so the conversation should be about Hicks and only Hicks and I still don't get why thinking Frazier would do better than him is the insane idea it's being made out to be in this thread.

Gardy has 0.6 more WAR than Hicks so far this year.

quote:

When did I say he should be designated?

Why would you have 5 OFs on the 25-man? I would like to see Clint too but I understand why he's not on the team right now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Gardy has 0.6 more WAR than Hicks so far.

Why would you have 5 OFs on the 25-man?

Baseball Reference has Hicks at 1 and Gardner at 2.7...

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I was so excited about him this year too. loving TINSTAAP, don't trust pitchers ever god dammit.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

Baseball Reference has Hicks at 1 and Gardner at 2.4...

Oh sorry I always assume fWAR. I guess UZR and DRS have vastly different thoughts on their defense.

EDIT: Yeah wow Hicks has -1 DRS and Gardy is at 12 DRS. That seems extreme.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 5, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I was shocked at how good Gardner's was but he's also been a hall of fame level defender for most of his career.

I really think the Hicks/Frazier situation is pretty much an exact mirror of what happened with Drury/Andujar where the better player started the season in the minors.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 5, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

I was shocked at how good Gardner's was but he's also been a hall of fame level defender for most of his career.

I think Gardy's a great defender but when it comes to the stats I wonder how much of a boost he gets from being in LF over CF given how much a trashfire LF is generally league-wide.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

RCarr posted:

I can't believe the first person I've ever considered ignoring during my 11 years on this website is a fellow Yankee fan in a Yankees thread. Can you please stop?

Don't argue with mcmagic

Anyone have the glittery gif

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ZenVulgarity posted:

Don't argue with mcmagic

Anyone have the glittery gif

Can you tell me what I'm saying that is so insane? Frazier has a over 1.000 OPS this season. The idea that he would be better than Hicks is not an insane theory. I wanted Andujar starting at 3B from the start of the season. How did that work out?

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice
i checked guys it's in 11 at bats.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Ian Kennedy also has an OPS of 1.000 if we're ignoring sample size

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Accident Underwater posted:

Ian Kennedy also has an OPS of 1.000 if we're ignoring sample size

101 AB's in AAA so far. 25 games.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 5, 2018

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I need to get a tv in my office I think because I'm not sure how much more of these radio broadcasts I can take.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 6, 2018

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

mikeraskol posted:

I need to get a tv in my office I think because I'm not sure how much more of these radio broadcasts I can take.

How dare you

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

mikeraskol posted:

At least you aren't missing much tonight.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

How dare you

??

Hello?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Andujar is and has always been my homeboy.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

Andujar is and has always been my homeboy.

:same:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Aaron Hicks, guys.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Aaron Hicks reads this thread and was pissed

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Boston has like 5 players having the best 2+ months of offensive production of their careers. Enough already.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
HUG EVERY PROSPECT

https://twitter.com/YESNetwork/status/1004184045297680384

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

mcmagic posted:

The Yankees have a comical embarrassment of riches with Frazier and Drury languishing in AAA when both, especially Frazier, would start for many teams.

So loving what though, offense is down leaguewide. With positional adjustments, by Fangraphs WAR, Gardner is the #11 OF and Hicks is the #25 OF - in all of MLB. They're both having great offensive years when you adjust for the season. Brett Gardner has a higher wOBA than Gary Sanchez.

I think people don't realize that OBP is way more valuable than slugging. That old math of adding them as OPS was dumb as hell.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

Brett Gardner has a higher wOBA than Gary Sanchez.

Gary is lucky the Yankees are winning... He's looked embarrassing for a lot of this season and that would be a bigger story if they wern't. Maybe he needs another Arod/J Lo talking to....

Edit: Can we get one or both of the ARI/SF starters tonight? Thanks Cash.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 6, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

2 good starts in a row for Sunny Gray...

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I came in to say Sonny loving Grey. this is the guy we like

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I've never seen a player get rung up on a called Ball 4 more than Judge. It's getting ridiculous.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

I've never seen a player get rung up on a called Ball 4 more than Judge. It's getting ridiculous.

Meanwhile Gary is swinging at balls that bounce in front of the plate. I have no idea what the hell he saw there because even if that was a fastball it was at his ankles.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Sanchez also swung at a four seamer that would've hit him had he not tipped it

Too bad andujar wasn't rightfully awarded a Homer after he destroyed that clippard changeup earlier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Meanwhile Gary is swinging at balls that bounce in front of the plate. I have no idea what the hell he saw there because even if that was a fastball it was at his ankles.

Gary's AB quality is just utter poo poo and has been for weeks.

Also utter poo poo: Betances' sad attempts to hold runners on.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 7, 2018

• Locked thread