Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

packetmantis posted:

pet peeve: Throgg says "I eat my enemies" but in his little intro clip he throws the dude aside instead of eating him.

Dude had some broccoli in his teeth. Throgg can't stand broccoli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
God bless the wood elves and their insane aggressiveness, declaring war on the empire and half the other guys while I'm fighting them as Chaos.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

SHISHKABOB posted:

God bless the wood elves and their insane aggressiveness, declaring war on the empire and half the other guys while I'm fighting them as Chaos.

gently caress wood elves and every other elves except maybe dark elves, something kinda ok 'bout them

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

packetmantis posted:

pet peeve: Throgg says "I eat my enemies" but in his little intro clip he throws the dude aside instead of eating him.

Who says that dude was an enemy?

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
From CA's point of view, would putting Cathay in to TW3 be competing with themselves?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ZeusJupitar posted:

From CA's point of view, would putting Cathay in to TW3 be competing with themselves?

Not unless 3 Kingdoms is more fantasy than historical. Also, Cathay will never make it in.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Pit Cathy in as a "expeditionary force" that plays effectively like the nomands until you settle.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

Three wood elf factions declared war on me within a few turns. And several turns on, not a single one has made a move to leave Athel Loren. Bunch of losers.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Ragingsheep posted:

Pit Cathy in as a "expeditionary force" that plays effectively like the nomands until you settle.

Ack! for the Ack! god

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Ack! for the Ack! god

Nice

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I’m not holding out for Cathay, but I doubt the ME map having to cater to lore would factor into their decisions on making paid DLC. Put any super Far East lords on an edge or some islands by the coast and have the narrator go “Boy you sure are a long way from home, my Lord. Why not massacre the locals and start a new Kingdom”

Like how Teclis and Snake woman have completely different starts. Slap ‘em down wherever looks like it needs more action.

They're not going to include an army that never got a book, barely got mentioned in the lore, and isn't even on the map in the game

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
When are they adding Canada to Thrones of Britannia?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
CA should think about completely reworking/updating the original factions before they even remotely consider poo poo like Cathay or Nippon.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Exactly. Why anyone thinks we might get Cathay when Kislev is still just an empire province is beyond me

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Exactly. Why anyone thinks we might get Cathay when Kislev is still just an empire province is beyond me

No one is actually thinking that Cathay is even remotely likely. What, at least I, am doing is just waxing theoretical at the possibilities and decrying CA for never doing anything with the idea of Warhammer's far east.

Hypothetical toys to play with, nothing more.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I think they'll probably add Dogs of War as TW2 DLC. I think that tops the list for likelihood given that DoW can be used to represent the whole southern part of the Old World: Tilea, Estalia & Border Prices, three separate factions and a not insignificant part of the world map. DoW can also represent a bunch of smaller factions throughout the Vortex map like Sartosa and New World colonies. And they had an actual tabletop army for WHFB at one point.

I personally think Araby is unlikely after that because they don't cover quite as much of the world map, never had a WHFB tabletop army (outside of the sister game Warmaster) and CA may prefer to focus on DLC for the existing factions. However, if Araby is added they will be added in TW2 because they can fit into the vortex campaign.

Cathay is delusional. We know that all the tabletop factions are going to be in, so that means Ogres and Daemons. If Ogres are in, then it follows that Chaos Dwarfs will be in, since they also occupy the Dark Lands area of the map. That's 3 out of the 4 'main' factions we're likely to see, with maybe Kislev being the surprise 4th faction.

They'll want to make DLC for TW3, so we might see them add the Old World factions to W3 for free, so that they can skip the "no DLC for DLC" thing. So I'm predicting a return to the Old World alongside the Dark Lands in TW3.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Dogs of War for the final WH2 campaign pack, with Araby as a Norsca-esque bonus race DLC (that had drat well be integrated into WH3 properly this time around) would be nice.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

packetmantis posted:

He sniffed his dinner and found it wanting.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Found a mod that is new to me.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1167310654

Adds in the LL unique items that were previously random drops into their quest chains.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mean just looking at whfb army lists tells us what's going in w3 so there's nothing wrong with imagining what could have been, especially imagining a source material that wasn't under the stewardship of nincompoops.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
I'm still banking on 'Southern Realms' being a single faction covering Tilea, Estalia and Araby with a mixed mercenary roster, simply because there's not a lot of room in the Southlands even if you remove all of the crusaders.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I think the crusaders are a place holder for Araby, the towns in the northwest of the southlands, (hams morroco) have a distinctly, Arabian thing going on with minarets and stuff. It'd possibly be a very fun starting area too, put some dark elves off the coast, random greenskin incursions, sweaty dwarves in the mountains, angry skeletons all around. Definitely the sort of place that would benefit from a Grand Vizier.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Ogres Vs Daemons Vs Chaos Dwarves Vs Kislev is a pretty crummy selection for a full priced game, especially if you don't already own WH1. So I at least hope they add something significant as well. A re-done Empire (e.g. adding in some end times content, the ability to recruit from allied factions as mercenaries) is also possible in my eyes.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Time for a repost

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If Araby or Cathay shows up I'd want CA to at least hire a consultant or two actually arabic/chinese with a background in history/myth/folklore. Not so much for cultural sensitivity (although that is nice to have) but to provide some insight into cool units that aren't just the super predictable Disney versions of the rosters people always put forward.

Like check the TW forums and see how every dream Cathay roster is "peasant hordes, terracotta soldiers, dragons, crossbows, rockets, kung fu monks. Maybe those guardian dog statues that rich white people like." Those thing can all be there but for a roster representing a huge area for like 2000 years of history there's gotta be some cooler stuff to mine from chinese myth.

Same for Araby. "Flying carpets, djinn, elephants, bandits with scimitars, led by an evil Vizier named Jafar!" That's not racist like Carbombya is racist but it's lame compared to how over the top and often in-jokey the main roster of factions can be.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
For Cathay I wouldn't be too worried on that front as I assume they will be doing at least some Chinese research for the three kingdoms total war game.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Speaking of;

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/three-kingdoms-romanticised-history

quote:

Janos: It is, but we want to launch a game that’s both historically accurate and culturally authentic. Total War: THREE KINGDOMS will be based on the romanticised history by default, but there’ll also be a Classic Mode option before you start a campaign that makes the experience closer in execution to past Total War historical titles.

How does Classic Mode differ?

Janos: A big difference is how these iconic heroes behave on the battlefield. By default, we adhere to the romanticised view: these characters can hold their own against hundreds of rank-and-file warriors. They’ll appear as single character units and fight like the heroes from Luo Guanzhong’s epic. In Classic Mode, they’ll appear in battle the way you might expect a classic Total War general to do: they’re only human, and will march into battle at the centre of a bodyguard unit.

In short: by default, characters in Total War: THREE KINGDOMS take centre stage in battle, helping to turn the tide with their flamboyant Wushu martial arts or strategic prowess. But Classic Mode focuses more on historical troop manoeuvres, where victory is defined by superior army composition and battle tactics.

I like this, it's like there will be a TW: Warhammer / Dynasty Warriors esque mode where your Heroes are like the LLs in TW: Warhammer and a separate mode that's just regular TW. I wonder if the Lord skill trees or whatever they end up going with will differ between modes; I expect you'd have access to and be leveling very different things in the two modes, since your Lords would behave so differently in one or the other.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Hunt11 posted:

For Cathay I wouldn't be too worried on that front as I assume they will be doing at least some Chinese research for the three kingdoms total war game.

yeah while there's not a lot of magic in three kingdoms the amount is not zero

part of the pre-war to the wars proper features a rebel sorceror getting shut down by one of Our Heroes courtesy of knowing what the appropriate anti-sorceror tactics are. incidentally, it's prayer strips. lots of prayer strips.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
if Lu Bu is not represented approximately the same way as Path of Khaine Tyrion I will be mildly annoyed

behold, an unstoppable titan on the battlefield, whose only -minor- weakness is that he is dumber than a loving post off of it, i mean literally-falls-for-"I-went-that-way" stupid

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The my historical accuracy crowd is still going to be pissed that the characters are wearing iconic getups and not practical battlefield gear and that the armies aren't all muddy light armor spearman.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I'm on like turn 10 and these TK rebels have a Screaming Skull and a Hierotitan. :saddowns:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The my historical accuracy crowd is still going to be pissed that the characters are wearing iconic getups and not practical battlefield gear and that the armies aren't all muddy light armor spearman.

welcome to third century china, nerds, while the romans were still trying to make the phalanx work we were studying the blade, and it's been six hundred years since then

we have figured out that shock cavalry are Extremely Good. so good, in fact, that a few hundred years from now the stories of this period will be almost entirely about the shock cavalry commanders killing ludicrous numbers of men and only seemingly being stoppable by other shock cavalry commanders

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The 3K delay from fall to spring seems like it opens up a lot more room on the calendar for Warhammer 2 DLC, especially since it presumably means Warhammer 3 won't be coming out for quite a while.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If Araby or Cathay shows up I'd want CA to at least hire a consultant or two actually arabic/chinese with a background in history/myth/folklore. Not so much for cultural sensitivity (although that is nice to have) but to provide some insight into cool units that aren't just the super predictable Disney versions of the rosters people always put forward.

Like check the TW forums and see how every dream Cathay roster is "peasant hordes, terracotta soldiers, dragons, crossbows, rockets, kung fu monks. Maybe those guardian dog statues that rich white people like." Those thing can all be there but for a roster representing a huge area for like 2000 years of history there's gotta be some cooler stuff to mine from chinese myth.

Same for Araby. "Flying carpets, djinn, elephants, bandits with scimitars, led by an evil Vizier named Jafar!" That's not racist like Carbombya is racist but it's lame compared to how over the top and often in-jokey the main roster of factions can be.

I'd hope if they did Araby they'd ignore Jafar entirely. Or put him in as the Arkhan equivalent.

I think they could very easily create a faction built up around the better aspects of Araby. Spears/Heavy Guard forming the core, Archers/Light Calv/Heavy Calv forming the flanks ( including Camel Calv ). Dervishes, Corsairs, and Assassins forming the more unique side units. Then you start getting into the fantasy units. Flying Carpets function as a fast attack Calv similar to Pegasus Knights, Elephants as extreme heavy Calv, Djinn could also function as a form of caster Calv, or potentially a heavier unit depending on how they'd want to built it out.

This is all canon stuff CA could use, and we aren't even getting into the Warmaster/Forgeworld stuff like Radiant Pegasus, which are the Bretonnia Pegasus but ON loving FIRE with a firebreath attack.

Literally the only issue we have for Araby is LLs. We have more then enough from previous canon to build out an army.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Literally the only issue we have for Araby is LLs. We have more then enough from previous canon to build out an army.

Evil Vizier
Demon sultan (hello Berserk)
Something based on Saladin perhaps? Of Crusades fame
Then maybe a king of thieves kind of character or some such.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
At the very least give them that giant ottoman bombard that blew open Constantinople. For max fun mount it on a giant elephant.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

At the very least give them that giant ottoman bombard that blew open Constantinople. For max fun mount it on a giant elephant.

Kind of a different take on the Hellcanon then?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone gotten any high loyalty events playing Dark Elves or Skaven since the patch, or is that still broken?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I have not and thought it was an issue with hellebron, but I haven't gotten it as morathi either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the biggest argument for Cathay is that they’ll be able to reuse a lot of assets and textures from Three Kingdoms, but considering how massive the country is in the lore it seems like a pretty big undertaking to represent it in game 3.

I’m still thinking that game 3 will feature a Realm of Chaos map for the demon factions to start in, before being able to tear their way into the old world map (with a little more east of the world’s edge mountains of course)