Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/nobby15/status/1004191570403344386

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Well I'm not going to make that joke.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

:thunk:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Just checked and now the vote on his Facebook post is 76% support :v:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

good picture

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/maxuthink/status/1004183692443463681

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

https://twitter.com/australian/status/1004146802386505729

This was the thing where a uni got a whole lot of money if they made a 'western civilisation studies' course. Howard and Beazley were involved. Dunno what the deal with Abbott is

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

quote:

Tony Abbott blamed over failure of Western civilisation
I don't like the guy but that seems harsh.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
He's more a symptom

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't like the guy but that seems harsh.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah I mean attributing sole blame indicated he actually managed to do something other than piss and moan while failing spectacularly at everything.

Like a whinier Turnbull I guess.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
ANZ says the housing decease is unexpected and who could have possibly foreseen it?!? Prices will go up...someday. Eventually. In The Fullness Of Time.

I'm not sure if the drop is accelerating or going down at a steady course.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-06/victoria-police-officer-simon-mareangareu-punched-kyan-foster/9842344

quote:

A Victorian police officer has told a jury he punched a teenager in the face as hard as he could, in line with his training, after the boy hit him on the forearm.

Senior Constable Mareangareu said he first became suspicious of the boys as they had not looked at the divisional van as it drove past.
"People look at us, when we're in a police vehicle … but they didn't," he said.
"I wanted to know what they're up to."

Senior Constable Mareangareu said he started talking to the boys and became suspicious there might be a "bigger picture".
"There's two young blokes in hoodies with backpacks, across the road from 7-Eleven, so I'm thinking are these blokes about to rob the 7-Eleven?" Senior Constable Mareangerau said.
"I'm starting to get a bit antsy and I'm thinking there's something else going on here and I need to find out what it is.
"I'm getting the picture now that maybe these blokes have got weapons … they might have a knife, gun, taser," he said.
This guy turns "some kids not looking at a car" into Ocean's Eleven. One kid filmed what happened with his phone but the cops deleted the video. His dad hired someone to recover the data. Smart thinking

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

bandaid.friend posted:

https://twitter.com/australian/status/1004146802386505729

This was the thing where a uni got a whole lot of money if they made a 'western civilisation studies' course. Howard and Beazley were involved. Dunno what the deal with Abbott is

It is a real shame Beazley got involved in this. He probably didn't actually understand that the point of the center was racist dog whistling though.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Why isn't it a crime for cops to force someone to delete video?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

You know the answer.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The New South Wales Police will ban people from entering a musical festival in Sydney if sniffer dogs detect illegal drugs on them – even if no drugs are actually found in a search.

Barely a month after the Australian Capital Territory allowed pill testing at a music festival for the first time, police in NSW have gone in the opposite direction.

On Tuesday the NSW police announced that people attending the Above and Beyond music festival in Sydney this weekend would be denied entry if sniffer dogs indicated they had drugs on them, even if a search did not reveal any illicit substances.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
New South Wales sounds like the most boring, oppressive place I swear to god...

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
We're still allowed to make corn dollies and do morris dancing, so it's not all bad.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I was about to ask how SA's going with their newly elected Liberal govt, but then I remembered that nobody gives a gently caress.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Lid posted:

The New South Wales Police will ban people from entering a musical festival in Sydney if sniffer dogs detect illegal drugs on them – even if no drugs are actually found in a search.

Barely a month after the Australian Capital Territory allowed pill testing at a music festival for the first time, police in NSW have gone in the opposite direction.

On Tuesday the NSW police announced that people attending the Above and Beyond music festival in Sydney this weekend would be denied entry if sniffer dogs indicated they had drugs on them, even if a search did not reveal any illicit substances.

This is seriously pissing me off. I mean fair cop that I have terrible taste in music and all but I’ve flown from BNE for this show. I’m literally on the hook for $500 of flights + accom if the cops choose to target me. We know that sniffer dogs are more often than not inaccurate in crowd circumstances so I’m literally up to luck whether I’m spending my night in Olympic Park dwelling on what could’ve been or not.

This is genuinely making me think I just won’t bother with Sydney any more and just go to Melbourne. At least previously I could’ve had the cops fondle my nutsack, realise I’ve got nothing fun and let me in but now I don’t even get that chance. At the very least thank god the promoter is a good bunch and is offering refunds for anyone rejected on this basis. That’s an additional $120 saved.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Nam Taf posted:

This is genuinely making me think I just won’t bother with Sydney any more and just go to Melbourne.

lmao at not doing this all the time every time if you have the choice

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
yeah seriously what the hell

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i’m seriously struggling to understand the rationale of that decision. acab but usually there’s at least some tortured logic to what they do; i can’t find any at all here

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

BBJoey posted:

i’m seriously struggling to understand the rationale of that decision. acab but usually there’s at least some tortured logic to what they do; i can’t find any at all here

It's the same logic as any sort of power they can decide to use at their discretion.

There are these people who feel like criminals, and they are just getting away! Simply because there is no evidence!

Edit: worth noting it is purely a discretional power. The dog sitting isn't the thing that sends people home. The commissioner for NSW was on JJJ saying that it is up to the cops to decide.

Gentleman Baller fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 6, 2018

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Jonah Galtberg posted:

lmao at not doing this all the time every time if you have the choice

Unfortunately I have mates in both cities so really what I need to do is just convince them it really is such a shithole and consolidate them all in Melbourne so I never have to go within 30000 feet of that wretched place.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Don Dongington posted:

I was about to ask how SA's going with their newly elected Liberal govt, but then I remembered that nobody gives a gently caress.

They've done nothing exciting so far.

Gentleman Baller posted:

Edit: worth noting it is purely a discretional power. The dog sitting isn't the thing that sends people home. The commissioner for NSW was on JJJ saying that it is up to the cops to decide.

"It's up to the cops to decide if they like the look of you or not. No, I don't think there's any issues with this."

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

They've done nothing exciting so far.

They're probably still pinching each other that they actually managed to win.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Arrest anyone who likes trance music.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

why

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
:itwaspoo:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I never thought this would be superseded, but 10 difficult years later, here we are.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Because he can, and quite confidently believes he can avoid any criminal penalty.

Schlesische posted:

They're probably still pinching each other that they actually managed to win.

We call it the Napthine Effect. Do nothing for a year and then panic that you haven't done anything and do the most stupid thing most publicly, and then try to set a trap for the Opposition who've shown you up as complete dunces and wonder why they go back to being in power for several terms. This in turn leads to the Guy Effect.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

ewe2 posted:

We call it the Napthine Effect. Do nothing for a year and then panic that you haven't done anything and do the most stupid thing most publicly, and then try to set a trap for the Opposition who've shown you up as complete dunces and wonder why they go back to being in power for several terms. This in turn leads to the Guy Effect.

TBH this is the best possible outcome, in a country that insists on electing the Liberal party at least once every 3 terms.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

¿Porque no los deuce?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The bloke from wok in a box that runs SA now is going to do very little, call it being a champion of small government, then get owned at the next election.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

quote:

The creation of the Australian Border Force by the merging of the departments of immigration and border protection failed to bring the budget savings it promised, and was beset by poor record keeping and high turnover, the Australian National Audit Office (ANAO) has found.

It also found the department failed to evaluate 94% of its contracts with external consultants engaged to assist the merger.

A significant part of the new department included the creation of 38 reform projects, at a cost of more than $997m, expected to be offset by $560m in savings from the merger and $498m over six years in predicted additional revenue from customs. However, “since 2014–15, the department has not undertaken any detailed analysis to confirm that the efficiency measures which were directly costed and agreed in the Integration Business Case have been completely implemented or achieved at the rate proposed,” the report said. It also found that at current rates of additional customs revenue, by the end of 2019/2020 the department will have achieved less than a third of its commitment.

Successive reports to the executive in 2015 confirmed the shortfall and identified problems with the consultant-developed analytic models, redirection of revenue compliance officers, long-term vacancies, and other delays.

By July 2017 almost half of the senior executive service officers who were in their roles at the start of the merger had left.

The ANAO also found inadequate record keeping, which it said had been “a persistent theme” in its audits of the department and in independent reviews dating as far back as 2005 when Australian citizen, Cornelia Rau, was unlawfully detained.

Who could possibly have foreseen this outcome?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Someone should dig up some dirt on Fifield and get him fired cause I'm sick of his smug fucken face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

ewe2 posted:

Because he can, and quite confidently believes he can avoid any criminal penalty.

The thing to remember about Liberals is they want to be in power, doing things in power isn't always their jam unless they can think of a way to squeeze cash out of giving stuff away to their friends. It was a long standing literal policy of the WA Liberals to be as quiet in the media as they could, and it sort of worked. Then they went and tried to build a big highway, people remembered they existed and they got demolished. Also, their leader appeared to be having a perpetual stroke.