Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm assuming it's shonen so apologies if it's not, but has the Devil is a Part-Timer manga gone past where the anime ended, and if so, what chapter does it pick up where the anime ends? I know a lot of the manga adaptations of animes tend to rehash the entire show plot, like this or gurren lagann, and if they don't end when the anime did then it's usually a good chunk in to the run before it hits new stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mikl posted:

Orient, the new series by the Magi lady, is really loving cool.

As long as it doesn't devolve into a mess like Magi did then I'm all ears.

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm assuming it's shonen so apologies if it's not, but has the Devil is a Part-Timer manga gone past where the anime ended, and if so, what chapter does it pick up where the anime ends? I know a lot of the manga adaptations of animes tend to rehash the entire show plot, like this or gurren lagann, and if they don't end when the anime did then it's usually a good chunk in to the run before it hits new stuff.

I think the post anime stuff starts in the 6th volume of the manga and the 3rd of the LN and given the manga's at 10 from what I see at amazon they're well past it.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Mikl posted:

Orient, the new series by the Magi lady, is really loving cool.

Was there any credence to the rumors that she wrapped up Magi and Sinbad so abruptly because she was expecting a baby? This manga coming out so soon casts some doubt on that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ConanThe3rd posted:

I think the post anime stuff starts in the 6th volume of the manga and the 3rd of the LN and given the manga's at 10 from what I see at amazon they're well past it.
cool, thanks. The anime was lots of fun so hopefully the manga keeps that up.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Magi started out OK but then fell apart in the final arcs but I have high hopes for her new manga.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alder posted:

Magi started out OK but then fell apart in the final arcs but I have high hopes for her new manga.

I actually liked the later arcs more once it got more "weird" with the lore and Sinbad becoming an antagonist character and stuff. It was fun early on as well, but in a more typical shounen way. The flashback arc was one of my favorite flashback arcs ever. I even liked the magic school part that a lot of people complained about.

edit: My feeling has always been that Magi would have been almost perfect if it just had better fight scenes. The whole premise with the themed equipment had such potential, but it was rarely used in a particularly creative way (most of the higher-end fights just involved folks throwing out big ultra-attacks). Earlier people actually did more interesting things IIRC (like Alibaba making a fire wall and what have you).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 4, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
two things: is that new Tenchi Muyo garbage like pretty much every other Tenchi Muyo series past the original/universe? I'm guessing it is too but just asking to make sure

and I saw this new series called The Girl With Horns start popping up, it's not good or anything after reading a few chapters, but I was stricken by how manga-like the artstyle is. I literally didn't realize it was a manhua until I looked at the mangaupdates page, then went back and noticed the sound effect onomatopoeia weren't Japanese. I've not seen very many manhwa or manhua that have detailed artwork, generally, so it's interesting to see one that pretty accurately mimics manga style.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I actually liked the later arcs more once it got more "weird" with the lore and Sinbad becoming an antagonist character and stuff. It was fun early on as well, but in a more typical shounen way. The flashback arc was one of my favorite flashback arcs ever. I even liked the magic school part that a lot of people complained about.

edit: My feeling has always been that Magi would have been almost perfect if it just had better fight scenes. The whole premise with the themed equipment had such potential, but it was rarely used in a particularly creative way (most of the higher-end fights just involved folks throwing out big ultra-attacks). Earlier people actually did more interesting things IIRC (like Alibaba making a fire wall and what have you).

I loved Magi at the beginning, and I do feel like it wasted a lot of its potential. I have never encountered a series that oscillated so greatly and so frequently between towering accomplishments and passionless mediocrity. It had so many great ideas that it ended up disregarding. The last arc felt like a microcosm of everything that I liked and disliked in the series: Sinbad turning heel was great, despite what the fans say, and it was a totally natural turn for a grown-up shonen protagonist to become a technocrat fascist. And the exploration of his previously conquered dungeons was interesting, because it seemed like Sinbad was still uncertain about his own decision and wanted give the heroes a chance to convince him he was wrong. But then David hijacked the plot again, and his characterization pretty much amounts to "is evil", and then the story kinda wrapped up like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u61F_qvdid0
It was really sad to see it end, because the delightful characters teased going on a new adventure in a new world, and I'm just like "Yes, can we go back to that? Just one more?" Regardless, ending on Alibaba and Morgiana's wedding was really satisfying, because their relationship was one of the best things about the manga. Though I don't know if I can ever forgive Ohtaka for sidelining Morgiana for the second half of the series. To this day I cannot fathom that decision.
I hope someday the series gets re-animated and restructured here and there. A lot of its issues could honestly be solved in adaptation without fundamentally changing the core story.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
New Silver Spoon chapter is out with more or Hachiken's Dad which is always a good thing.

http://sensescans.com/reader/read/silver_spoon/en/0/126/page/1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ookawa is the author, telling you you're never gonna see the two idiots do anything but hold hands and the characters will do everything they can to prevent it, so shut up about it

edit: I just exclaimed "HOLY gently caress" when I got to THAT page, jesus

shout out to my cambrian main man, anomalocaris

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 6, 2018

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Beefstew posted:

Though I don't know if I can ever forgive Ohtaka for sidelining Morgiana for the second half of the series. To this day I cannot fathom that decision.

Apparently editorial decisions had a lot to do with the female characters not getting enough spotlight. Hell, Ohtaka wanted to have Aladdin and Sincaid be female.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Apparently editorial decisions had a lot to do with the female characters not getting enough spotlight. Hell, Ohtaka wanted to have Aladdin and Sincaid be female.

That breaks my heart, but makes sense because the entire final party was 5 dudes, one of them a completely irrelevant character. It's just so bizarre that the tritagonist and one of the best characters got sidelined like that. The editorial interference in certain parts of Magi are palpable, especially as the final arc progresses into the David stuff. I would pay good money to see Ohtaka's original vision.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I agree about David not working well as an antagonist. Sinbad was a much better and more interesting antagonist, in my opinion, and I really liked the whole idea of having the final thematic conflict being between him and Alibaba, rather than David/Aladdin.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I agree about David not working well as an antagonist. Sinbad was a much better and more interesting antagonist, in my opinion, and I really liked the whole idea of having the final thematic conflict being between him and Alibaba, rather than David/Aladdin.

Yeah, Alibaba was the main character, and his ideological opposition to Sinbad was one of the driving conflicts throughout the whole story. Also, David attempting to hijack the plot only to be duped and trapped in a pocket dimension was great - that should've been his end.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

CVE posted:

New Silver Spoon chapter is out with more or Hachiken's Dad which is always a good thing.

http://sensescans.com/reader/read/silver_spoon/en/0/126/page/1
Click for a special surpwise :3:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

KittenofDoom posted:

Click for a special surpwise :3:

Ok seeing this makes me want to re-read through it and catch back up.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Heads up: We Never Learn is currently in the middle of a school festival arc and it's loving amazing :swoon:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mikl posted:

Heads up: We Never Learn is currently in the middle of a school festival arc and it's loving amazing :swoon:

I agree. I laughed out loud as some parts. I can't wait to see Furuhashi's part next. :allears:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am surprised and glad that the costume the other teachers actually had planned for sensei wasn't something skeezy. Also further proof that the sensei ending is the correct one since somebody has to save her from herself.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Honestly Sinbad was a drag on the series when he became the full on villain and the reason my interest in the series tanked when we went into the final arc.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

chumbler posted:

I am surprised and glad that the costume the other teachers actually had planned for sensei wasn't something skeezy. Also further proof that the sensei ending is the correct one since somebody has to save her from herself.

I was honestly expecting something like a skimpy toga or something.
This was way more funny really.

Also I freaking adore Uruka's girlcrush on Sensei. It's good to have a character in the cast who is not deadly afraid of her. She's her biggest fan and it's adorable.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's too early to call orient one way or the other, but I gotta admit the art is pretty rad

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The creature designs in Magi were always great, I'm glad she decided to go all-in on that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
If people remember Noragami, the series about a down on his luck god, his reluctant sword, his spooky ex-sword and a girl with a tail.

It appears to be back in action!

https://mangadex.org/manga/5014/noragami

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Lies of Sheriff Evans is nothing like I thought it would be after reading the first chapter and it owns. I'm glad everyone is looking forward to their respective dates :3:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
We can't study story arc continues to be awesome

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
Silver Spoon 127! Quality dadmom content again this week. Unfortunately it seems we're back on haitus after this.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jorenko posted:

Silver Spoon 127! Quality dadmom content again this week. Unfortunately it seems we're back on haitus after this.

I would gladly watch Predator vs Brown Bear vs Mom.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Predator vs. Molly Weasley is a movie I'd throw money at.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
fairy tail 2 is out https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/eden-s-zero/en/0/1/page/1

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

heh heh, what a clever jab at mashima's tendency to have very samey stories and art. let's just take a look, i'm sure it's not *sees cover page* WOW

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Take a drink every time someone says friends

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
That is fuckin' uncanny.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

So is this actually supposed to be new or just Fairy Tail time skip 3: Kids Edition? Because that's Happy right there in the cover.

Just give me some dragons, Mashima.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
it has a dragon

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Wait what, Fairy Tail ended? Was it rad or was it kind of a wet-fart ending? I remember hearing about a particular really weird-sounding twist involving Natsu and END and then never really heard much about the series from there.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Wait what, Fairy Tail ended? Was it rad or was it kind of a wet-fart ending? I remember hearing about a particular really weird-sounding twist involving Natsu and END and then never really heard much about the series from there.

Look into your heart, you already know the answer.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lucy got to do something important, so it wasn't a total bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jose posted:

it has a dragon

Yeah. A really cool one, too.

Not sure what the deal is with Happy; will he have his own backstory unrelated to Fairy Tail's Happy, or is there an actual in-universe connection?

Looks like it will basically be Fairy Tail IN SPACE! Complete with the space dragons and space magic. But as noted above, the space dragon looked cool, so I might give this a chance for the next few chapters. Hopefully Mashima will be capable of reining in his worst tendencies, like having all the female villains display vaguely or non-so-vaguely sexual sadistic tendencies toward the female lead, and the thing where the protagonist suddenly turns the fight around just by trying harder.