Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Ariel is still a Disney princess
he absolutely is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Addams Family Values is the greatest sequel ever created.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Does anyone remember the live action Fox Family Addams Family show? John Astin cameod as Gomez's dad.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Lego Movie 2 is going to have some rad Fury Road-esque sets.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Unmature posted:

Does anyone remember the live action Fox Family Addams Family show? John Astin cameod as Gomez's dad.

I remember it playing all the time on the Canadian children's channel in the later post-prime time, pre-late night slot. Probably cause it was a Canadian co-production, and so fulfilled the Canadian Content requirements.

I'll be frank I was too young to give a fair or accurate judgement of how good it was as a show. But what I can recall is that it was a fairly faithful adaptation of the Sonnenfeld films, if lighter by necessity. Of course they couldn't get Raul Julia or Christopher Lloyd or any of the original cast, but the replacements were probably the best they could on a cable budget, and the cast certainly tried. Like I said, it was lighter out of necessity, and felt a little more domestic and softer than the movies. But in that sense, I guess you could probably say it was more of an adaptation of the 60's TV show that was painted by the films, rather than adapting the films. Though their Wednesday was lifted directly from the movies, and I honestly think she was just as good as Christina Ricci.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Das Boo posted:

I think it has a lot of script and editing issues and is nowhere near as tight as the first movie, but on the other hand it has Joan Cusack as a smoking hot psychopath so idk

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Addams Family films are amazing. Because of this news, I watched half of the first one last night, and the script absolutely sparkles still. It's so witty, and well-acted by everyone.

The cast for this new one is really good, but I can't help but feel they'd make a fantastic live action cast. I'd love to see Oscar Isaac and Chalize Theron vamping it up (and she would tower over him) on screen.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I think it has a lot of script and editing issues and is nowhere near as tight as the first movie, but on the other hand it has Joan Cusack as a smoking hot psychopath so idk

Funnily enough, I had the complete opposite reaction. I can barely remember anything about the first film, but Addams Family Values is just one great scene after the other.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Das Boo posted:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The musical is good too.

Is it? I've hard some really negative reviews of it, and when I listened to the songs I only found, like, one or two that were memorable.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

The whole family is amazing, especially considering how old the show is.

Gomez and Morticia are clearly head over heels in love with each other. It's passionate without being raunchy. They also talk out their problems; any time they disagree (which isn't common), they work to see the others' point of view. It's a model of how to have a successful relationship.

The kids are given freedom to learn and explore and make mistakes, and supported at all times. It's a model of how to raise children to be independent without running wild.

There's no snarky "I hate the in-laws" crap with grandmama, even Lurch is treated with respect. There's not a single person they interact with who is treated poorly. It's a model of how to treat others in your sphere of influence, even when they're on the edges of it.

The women are treated as equals. Physical differences mean nothing. The Addamses default to inclusiveness at all times. It's a model of how to treat others, even those you don't understand.

I could go on and on. I love the Addams Family, both the original B&W show and the movies.

I loved the Addams Family movies and reading this makes me worry that the new movie will be absolutely horrible. "Modern" comedy is basically the opposite of everything this post states.

Also, Sausage Party directors are involved so...

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
The Spider-Man trailer is amazing. I can't believe my eyes.

https://twitter.com/SpiderVerse/status/1004347175948693504

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

This looks so loving good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Why are there so many trailers coming out in the last few days?

But also yeah that's fuckin dope

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 6, 2018

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Neon Noodle posted:

This looks amazing. They have a really nice 3D style, with that comic ink-panel color distortion. It seems like they also go out of their way to have less frames per character. And I just freeze framed on a couple action bits and they flash some hand-drawn looking frames, making a really cool effect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiqv2OxBiHc&t=178s

One thing I noticed is Sony 3D films seem to really try to push or introduce a new animation style per film.

Waffleman_ posted:

Why are there so many trailers coming out in the last few days?

But also yeah that's fuckin dope
Here is a another :v:
https://vimeo.com/266702900

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Neon Noodle posted:

That looks cool

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This is also kind of a Lord and Miller joint, though they're just producing and the screenplay was by Lord.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That looks good, though Twitter is a terrible platform for videos. Their encoding is garbage.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I was on the fence about the style from the initial announcement trailer (thought it was kind of straddling the uncanny valley), but I’m pretty firmly sold on it now with this one.

Plus the writing definitely seems like peak Spider Man.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I'm unfamiliar with whatever this version of Spiderman is based on, besides being aware of Miles Moralas and really like Gwen Spidey's outfit.

Is this some kind of cross-dimensional thing or did a bunch of people just get bitten by radioactive spiders and decide to dress up the same?

Also I love the end of the trailer bit with the dad trying to get Miles to say "I love you" to him

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The comic event was a cross-dimensional thing, but it remains to be seen how much of that is in this.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So, fingers crossed on seeing the original Spider-Man cartoon making an appearance here, too?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Miles's dad for president of the world

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Regalingualius posted:

So, fingers crossed on seeing the original Spider-Man cartoon making an appearance here, too?
The only Spider-Man in the Spider-Verse who isn't allowed to throw a single punch, who cannot break glass, whose enemies only use guns that don't fire bullets, who cannot spill anyone's blood, who cannot ever see a vampire, who cannot say or hear the words "death", "die", "kill", and "sinister", and who cannot harm pigeons in any fashion.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

So I'm unfamiliar with whatever this version of Spiderman is based on, besides being aware of Miles Moralas and really like Gwen Spidey's outfit.

I have read most of Spider-Gwen and feel I can safely say that her outfit and her Gwenom outfit are the best things about the series (the second best thing is the bad she's in (The Mary Jane's) and the third best thing is evil ninja lawyer Matt Murdock)

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Is that Green Goblin in the trailer? He looks even more Monstrous compared to his Ultimate Spider-man version.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Pixeltendo posted:

Is that Green Goblin in the trailer? He looks even more Monstrous compared to his Ultimate Spider-man version.

I think that's Lizard but who knows for sure?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

It's defientaly Green Goblin judging from his hat. I like it that they had a choice for a classic Goblin or the Ultimate demonic Hulk looking guy and they went way past right field

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

It's defientaly Green Goblin judging from his hat. I like it that they had a choice for a classic Goblin or the Ultimate demonic Hulk looking guy and they went way past right field

At this point, the only option to go for Green Goblin is to give him bat wings and make him like a dragon.

I hope Lizard shows up and is fighting alongside a surprised Miles and Peter ONLY because Goblin is "stealing his gimmick".

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Nick Miller as Spider-Man is an oddly perfect casting choice

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Neon Noodle posted:

Having watched this several times now, I've determined that this looks incredibly loving rad.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Democratic Pirate posted:

Nick Miller as Spider-Man is an oddly perfect casting choice

I hope he gets to scream indignantly at least a few times.

"I AM A FAMOUS AUTHOR!"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
they made Peter Parker into Coach McGuirk.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow Hog posted:

The only Spider-Man in the Spider-Verse who isn't allowed to throw a single punch, who cannot break glass, whose enemies only use guns that don't fire bullets, who cannot spill anyone's blood, who cannot ever see a vampire, who cannot say or hear the words "death", "die", "kill", and "sinister", and who cannot harm pigeons in any fashion.

that's the 90's Fox cartoon

I remember that pigeon rule

also I'm super happy that animated Spiderman is going into theatres and isn't a direct to video release, it looks hype

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Batman The Brave and the Bold did a great episode where Bat Mite explored past variations of Batman. One of them was Batman from the old "The New Scooby Do Movies." There was this gag where Bat Mite tells the audience they couldn't show the characters punching people in those days, then he proceeded to give Batman and the Scooby gang the power to punch people, so the episode ended with Batman, the Scooby gang, and Weird Al, gleefully punching the Batman Rogue's Gallery in their faces. What a great show.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

I still hate re watching the DCAU where all violence is implied and any punch is cut out by a quick white headache inducing flash. You get a family member with epilepsy, you're going to start noticing how bad that is.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

SatansBestBuddy posted:

that's the 90's Fox cartoon

I remember that pigeon rule

also I'm super happy that animated Spiderman is going into theatres and isn't a direct to video release, it looks hype
Oh, I missed "original" in Regalingualius's post, whoops

Still, bring '90s Spider-Man into this too

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkcucKDrbOI

IMO the romance bit is dumb and I don't like that her design is "soft" but her abilities look pretty cool. She's a "lightfury"? And she's able to like, teleport I think?? The trailer wasn't super clear about it but it looks like she almost opens some kind of worm hole with her breath attack

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh cool, Lion powers. neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I still hate re watching the DCAU where all violence is implied and any punch is cut out by a quick white headache inducing flash. You get a family member with epilepsy, you're going to start noticing how bad that is.

It's still better than the 90's Marvel cartoons where they couldn't do poo poo