Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

alrighty time for some realpolitik.

There are 12 total votes in the congress, 6 from the 3 great powers, one each for all 6 of the secondary ones. My question becomes are there enough votes to pass A? Would Morocco and Russia be willing to basically elevate france-england to great power status to rival them? Morocco has supported France in the past sure, but there's a difference between teaming up to wreck Al-Andalus or the Tirruni, and giving the the land to dominate most of western europe. Similarly, Russia considers itself the big dog in Europe and probably doesn't want anyone to challenge that. That would imply that all 3 major powers would vote B, meaning that the best we could manage is a 6-6 tie, assuming that all of the secondary powers voted with us, which feels unlikely.

Hate doing it, but I think the best answer here is C. We don't want to piss off France, but I'm not sure the collation is there to get A passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
A but only if the relation boost with France can actually help us getting all of Iberia

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
A

As mentioned before, we ought to ally with France.

Plus doing this might help us get our Iberian land back.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
A

BIG

Mr_Autoshades
Dec 5, 2016
A I doubt A will win, so I think we should try and get on France's Good Side

SlothfulCobra posted:

Normally I'm reflexively anti-monarchist, but have you seen the majlis? It may be more likely that a monarch would open up to more democracy than these jerks.

I do have to wonder about the in-world composition of the Majlis. Presumably it was really heavily slanted towards wealthy merchants and businessmen back when it went with Qadis during the fitna, but how well has it re-integrated the rest of Andalus? I'm kind of imagining it like the Long Parliament, but it went for more than twice as long.

Democracy's in a bit of a weird situation in this world. For republics, there's Inca, Al-Qarbiya, and the tiny island of Suqutra, and there was Serbia, but I'm not sure if that survived. Then there's the two revolutionary states that failed in Europe, and two unaccounted for in the rest of the world that have yet to either collapse or stabilize. Are any of the monarchies around the world constitutional, or is that not really supposed to be a thing by this time period?

I believe France got a constitution after they spent a decade throwing the Celts back and forth across a room.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
The Flying Llama convinced me, although not in the way he probably hoped.

A, on the understanding that the other countries will probably not also vote A.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yea, if it inevitably fails then so much the better. We get the relations boost and France gets nothing.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
B

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Normally I'm reflexively anti-monarchist, but have you seen the majlis? It may be more likely that a monarch would open up to more democracy than these jerks.

I do have to wonder about the in-world composition of the Majlis. Presumably it was really heavily slanted towards wealthy merchants and businessmen back when it went with Qadis during the fitna, but how well has it re-integrated the rest of Andalus? I'm kind of imagining it like the Long Parliament, but it went for more than twice as long.

Democracy's in a bit of a weird situation in this world. For republics, there's Inca, Al-Qarbiya, and the tiny island of Suqutra, and there was Serbia, but I'm not sure if that survived. Then there's the two revolutionary states that failed in Europe, and two unaccounted for in the rest of the world that have yet to either collapse or stabilize. Are any of the monarchies around the world constitutional, or is that not really supposed to be a thing by this time period?

There's also a republic in south America, New Occitania, that was fighting for independence from Provence when eu4 ended. Since Provence was wiped out in MotE, I'm gonna assume that revolution was successful.

And yeah, France will start vicky as a fully Constitutional Monarchy, along with a couple other smaller states. The Celtic Empire will also have an event very early on to adopt French Constitutionalism, becoming the United Kingdom of Ireland-Scotland.

zanni
Apr 28, 2018

A. warmer relations with several major and minor players on the world stage is worth a souring between us and hannover, not to mention that becoming closer with a strong france is the best path going forward.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

A

I, uh, I can't help but notice that the whole Iberian chunk of the Tirruni empire is missing from the deal. Is there gonna be a separate vote on that?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Soup du Jour posted:

B

Loath as I am to annoy France when they’re the faction we should be making friends with here, returning Italy to a mess of non-Italians ruling them is probably not a very good idea in the long run.

You realise that this is an incentive to vote A, right? Nationalist uprisings in Italy mean distractions for the other powers.

A for this reason and also it gives the biggest relations boosts with our immediate neighbours.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

A

Also yes Cyro, that's at the end of the post.

crimea
Nov 16, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
A is clearly the correct option.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
A

Sucking up to Frangland Frangleterre is a good move, though I don't think this is gonna pass.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

TheFlyingLlama posted:

alrighty time for some realpolitik.

There are 12 total votes in the congress, 6 from the 3 great powers, one each for all 6 of the secondary ones. My question becomes are there enough votes to pass A? Would Morocco and Russia be willing to basically elevate france-england to great power status to rival them? Morocco has supported France in the past sure, but there's a difference between teaming up to wreck Al-Andalus or the Tirruni, and giving the the land to dominate most of western europe. Similarly, Russia considers itself the big dog in Europe and probably doesn't want anyone to challenge that. That would imply that all 3 major powers would vote B, meaning that the best we could manage is a 6-6 tie, assuming that all of the secondary powers voted with us, which feels unlikely.

Hate doing it, but I think the best answer here is C. We don't want to piss off France, but I'm not sure the collation is there to get A passed.

Is that a genuine downside? Actually, this begs the question:

Does A need to pass for us to get the relations boost? Or will they like us more even if the other Great Powers ultimately defeat the measure?

Because if we still get the boost and it’s unlikely to pass it sounds like the best of both worlds.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

everybody's like "ooh as long as we get the relations boost it's good"

but if we lose the vote we're on the wrong side of history! Winners go home and gently caress the prom queen, not go home having lost one vote in a congress that we had no real way to win in the first place!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

let's not alienate our only potential friend among our powerful neighbours

A

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
A, especially since it helps set a precedent for returning provinces to their previous owners. Hint hint.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
B

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 6, 2018

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Voting for B.

Would also like to note that France-England only has 1 vote in these proceedings, whereas Hannover has 2. If we want the vote re: Tirruni's Iberian possessions to go in our favor we should probably be more interested in sucking up to Hannover than France-England.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is that a genuine downside? Actually, this begs the question:

Does A need to pass for us to get the relations boost? Or will they like us more even if the other Great Powers ultimately defeat the measure?

Because if we still get the boost and it’s unlikely to pass it sounds like the best of both worlds.

Hashim posted:

So keep in mind that even if our chosen option doesn’t win overall, the relations boost/hits will still take effect, and the other powers will remember how we voted.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Gah gently caress France but A

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

man zulfiqar is going to go down in andalusiverse history as the hottest of poo poo, restoring his country and managing to avoid absolutism while still creating a centre of power apart from the massively incompetent nobility

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Additionally as others have pointed out, Russia as well as Morocco presumably prefer the buffer states option to empowering France-England to the point of it becoming another GP. There's no direct relations bonus to either for choosing B, but Hashim did say "the other powers will remember how we voted".

So while I couldn't care less about what Morocco thinks, good relations with mega-Russia probably also wouldn't hurt matters.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mirdini posted:

Voting for B.

Would also like to note that France-England only has 1 vote in these proceedings, whereas Hannover has 2. If we want the vote re: Tirruni's Iberian possessions to go in our favor we should probably be more interested in sucking up to Hannover than France-England.

That seems reasonable. Hannover is more likely to want to partition things in our favor to curb their immediate neighbor of Frangland.

B

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Before or after he falls down some stairs and reveals himself to be possessed by all the previous terrible ruler of Al Andalus.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If the other major powers block France's territorial gains here (which I think is pretty likely to happen regardless of our vote), they're gonna be super pissed, especially after it gave up the Rhineland while Morocco and Russia kept their territorial gains.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

RabidWeasel posted:

You realise that this is an incentive to vote A, right? Nationalist uprisings in Italy mean distractions for the other powers.

A for this reason and also it gives the biggest relations boosts with our immediate neighbours.

I’d just like the people of Italy have nice things after being a warzone for two decades

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ChaseSP posted:

Before or after he falls down some stairs and reveals himself to be possessed by all the previous terrible ruler of Al Andalus.

he's presumably going to keel over and die shortly, letting his much more egomanical son take over and eradicate all opposition to his rule, us, and also allow the country to fall to anarcho-liberals

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Pakled posted:

If the other major powers block France's territorial gains here (which I think is pretty likely to happen regardless of our vote), they're gonna be super pissed, especially after it gave up the Rhineland while Morocco and Russia kept their territorial gains.

yeah if morocco and russia veto both us and france we'd make one hell of a revisionist bloc - this would be Very Good for us, since we hate morocco anyway and russia probably has bigger fish to fry

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

yeah if morocco and russia veto both us and france we'd make one hell of a revisionist bloc - this would be Very Good for us, since we hate morocco anyway and russia probably has bigger fish to fry

What bigger fish? Russia's all-in on the absolutism and doesn't have any neighbors capable of challenging them, why would they stop being interested in what's going on in Western Europe?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Voting A only pisses off Hannover, Russia doesn't care, according to the prompt.

E: not a response to you specifically, I think people miss this point.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A. We scratch Frangleterre's back, they NAND(scratch,stab) ours.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

Soup du Jour posted:

I’d just like the people of Italy have nice things after being a warzone for two decades

for what it's worth, this is what the population density map of north Italy looks like right now:

red = more densely populated, green = less. So yeah, north Italy's pretty devastated at the moment. Especially the Venice region.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
Not to be too cynical, but Franco-England liking us now doesn't necessarily mean they'll like us in a couple decades, when our borders are grinding against each other and the riches of Iberia are once again unequaled.

Better to keep them weak and create some minor powers that we can later "support" and "forge dynastic ties with." B is for Buffer states!

crimea
Nov 16, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Erwin the German posted:

especially since it helps set a precedent for returning provinces to their previous owners. Hint hint.

Yeah I think this is a really good point also. People are arguing that voting for B means that Hannover will be more likely to support us getting back our cores on Catalonia, but surely it could look pretty bad if we demand that Italy and Occitania are given independence but our claims should be given back. And honestly I do think A passing is likelier than some might think and as such it might be beneficial to agitate for a return to 'pre-Tirruni' borders.

edipil
May 12, 2017

B

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Mirdini posted:

What bigger fish? Russia's all-in on the absolutism and doesn't have any neighbors capable of challenging them, why would they stop being interested in what's going on in Western Europe?

idk maybe all the wealth of asia might offer some small temptation

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Voting A, becuase it's more likely to lead to us getting our core territory back and also is more likely to give our enemies a headache with nationalism later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

I love this. In a desperate attempt to avoid making enemies, were going to end up going into V2 with nobody liking us enough to be our ally.

A To hell with the eastern boogeymen!