Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Rookersh posted:

I'd hope if they did Araby they'd ignore Jafar entirely. Or put him in as the Arkhan equivalent.

I think they could very easily create a faction built up around the better aspects of Araby. Spears/Heavy Guard forming the core, Archers/Light Calv/Heavy Calv forming the flanks ( including Camel Calv ). Dervishes, Corsairs, and Assassins forming the more unique side units. Then you start getting into the fantasy units. Flying Carpets function as a fast attack Calv similar to Pegasus Knights, Elephants as extreme heavy Calv, Djinn could also function as a form of caster Calv, or potentially a heavier unit depending on how they'd want to built it out.

This is all canon stuff CA could use, and we aren't even getting into the Warmaster/Forgeworld stuff like Radiant Pegasus, which are the Bretonnia Pegasus but ON loving FIRE with a firebreath attack.

Literally the only issue we have for Araby is LLs. We have more then enough from previous canon to build out an army.

Are you one of those people who pronounce cavalry as calvary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Total War: Lu Bu does sound pretty awesome.

packetmantis posted:

I'm on like turn 10 and these TK rebels have a Screaming Skull and a Hierotitan. :saddowns:

You do not mess with TK rebels. Sorry for your loss.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Rookersh posted:

I'd hope if they did Araby they'd ignore Jafar entirely. Or put him in as the Arkhan equivalent.

I think they could very easily create a faction built up around the better aspects of Araby. Spears/Heavy Guard forming the core, Archers/Light Calv/Heavy Calv forming the flanks ( including Camel Calv ). Dervishes, Corsairs, and Assassins forming the more unique side units. Then you start getting into the fantasy units. Flying Carpets function as a fast attack Calv similar to Pegasus Knights, Elephants as extreme heavy Calv, Djinn could also function as a form of caster Calv, or potentially a heavier unit depending on how they'd want to built it out.

This is all canon stuff CA could use, and we aren't even getting into the Warmaster/Forgeworld stuff like Radiant Pegasus, which are the Bretonnia Pegasus but ON loving FIRE with a firebreath attack.

Literally the only issue we have for Araby is LLs. We have more then enough from previous canon to build out an army.

Senor Dog posted:

Are you one of those people who pronounce cavalry as calvary

Christ died on calvary, you fight in the cavalry.

I was attached to a Cav unit. That distinction was made clear to me by a bunch of Texans who liked skoal too much. Also cav is the correct abbreviation.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

With Blood Voyages now you cannot go have fun in the Old World with the HE start in ME until you get rid of the Crone. Bit lame.

Also beta patch notes. Crone and rogue armies fixed, Bone Giant is now a construct, no mention of loyalty faction events being fixed.

quote:

Rebalanced Crone Hellebron’s Cursed Blade ability by removing the phase recharge and changing the phase to deal up to 144 to a single target when the phase is applied. The phase can be reapplied every ten seconds.

Rogue armies will now spawn correctly in campaigns.

Arkhan’s Legion of Death skill will now add factionwide buffs to Fell Bats, Crypt Ghouls, Dire Wolves and Hex Wraiths.

Bone Giant has had the undead trait removed and the construct trait added as well as +10 Leadership.

Bretonnian starting armies have been changed back to what they were prior to The Queen and the Crone update.

Tyrion’s -1 to recruitment time will now apply to Sisters of Avelorn and Shadow Warriors.

Firebark Elders (Tree Kin) Regiment of Renown unit now correctly has its Wildfire Aura ability.

Summoners of Rage (Dragon Ogres) Regiment of Renown unit now correctly has its Chain Lightning ability.

Great Mortis Delta province is now correctly part of the Geomantic Web.

Fixed a softlock that would occur for Crone Hellebron when the Amulet of Dark Fire quest would trigger when Shrine of Khaine had been razed.

Sword of Khaine will no longer display an Empire flag after loading a save game from before The Queen and the Crone update when Shrine of Khaine has been razed.

Diplomacy Greetings for Dark Elf factions will now use the correct VO actors.

Sisters of Slaughter and Sisters of Avelorn will no longer use male conversational VO in battles.

Builds in localised languages will now trigger UI click sounds on the technology tree, skill tree and crafting screens.

Various localisation issues fixed across multiple languages.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/the-queen-the-crone-public-beta-patch-update

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I wondered why the heck they nerfed poor louen

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Southpaugh posted:

I think the crusaders are a place holder for Araby, the towns in the northwest of the southlands, (hams morroco) have a distinctly, Arabian thing going on with minarets and stuff. It'd possibly be a very fun starting area too, put some dark elves off the coast, random greenskin incursions, sweaty dwarves in the mountains, angry skeletons all around. Definitely the sort of place that would benefit from a Grand Vizier.

But then where would my bretonnia bros go D:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Real Cool Catfish posted:

But then where would my bretonnia bros go D:

They'd probably keep in a couple of the Crusader factions if they added Araby, as "you have to destroy this faction to keep going"-factions that seemingly every playable faction has.

I would be much more hype for Southern Realms/Dogs of War faction than Araby though, love me them pikeblocks. They also have a good number of possible LL characters that aren't just*

They should preferably have a mercenary mechanic to go along with them, possibly something centered on exploration/adventure as well.

There also isn't much room to put in southern realms on the WH2 map, so it'd have to be more of a Mortal Empires thing.

*I think there's a more imaginative and original Araby special character in the naval combat game IIRC. The characters in the fan codex don't count.

e: If they do Araby and actually do Jaffar, I hope they aren't coy about it and make some grimdark and cool redesign. Make him as similar to the Disney version as possible, but legally distinct. Get the same voice actor.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 6, 2018

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Randarkman posted:

There also isn't much room to put in southern realms on the WH2 map, so it'd have to be more of a Mortal Empires thing.

Could do playable Pirates of Sartosa and New World Colonies, maybe. Bit weird, but eh.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Electronico6 posted:

With Blood Voyages now you cannot go have fun in the Old World with the HE start in ME until you get rid of the Crone. Bit lame.
Kind of depends. If you aren't at war with crone, Blood Voyages don't seem to target you. So if you have a strong meatshield on the west side that can put down the voyage (usually getting one city razed before mobilizing since the AI is not exactly great at actually preparing..) you're all good

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Think I got the hang of Helleborne. Unfortunately the Instant Quest Items mod seems to be broken for her so I need to revert to an earlier save :sigh:

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

lurksion posted:

Kind of depends. If you aren't at war with crone, Blood Voyages don't seem to target you. So if you have a strong meatshield on the west side that can put down the voyage (usually getting one city razed before mobilizing since the AI is not exactly great at actually preparing..) you're all good

I took the Shrine and wasn't at war with Crone and the voyage still came for me. This was with Alarielle, but I guess with Tyrion you can still gently caress off of Ulthuan and not care.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

Could do playable Pirates of Sartosa and New World Colonies, maybe. Bit weird, but eh.

Sure. Though that'd cut into the amount of the faction you could feature outside the Vortex map. New World Colonies could be led by Marco Coluombo or Fernado Pirazzo (I shouldn't have to explain who these are). Sartosa could be led Mydas the Mean, who's the most successful and notorious of all the mercenary paymasters, he's also like half or full Arabyan so could maybe make for an Everqueen/Arkhan thing where they'd have access to a couple of Arabyan units (provided Southern Realms after Araby).

The real meat when it comes to Southern Realms characters would be Borgio the Besieger (kind of like a big and mean renaissance version of Demetrios Poliorcetes), Lucrezzia Belladonna (a black widow poisoner and lore of shadows caster) and Lorenzo Lupo (leads Tilea's not-Rome, a big dweeb who cosplays as a Roman legionary). Ideally I'd want them to have all of those three. We'd also need an Estalian character, I think so Marco Colombo or Fernado Pirazzo in the New World for a different kind of start for them rather than Tilea thunderdome (Tilea should have more provinces, maybe all the cities there major capital cities in 1-region provinces). There's also a dude who is literally Leonardo DaVinci, though he'd make more sense as a special hero that you maybe could hire from time to time rather than a faction leader.

So, yeah, plenty of characters of Southern Realms/Dogs of War. But IIRC Alberic de Bordeleaux was never a special character in any of the Bretonnian army books (or at least not any recent ones) and he is pretty much only a mention they pulled from somewhere and made a LL out of, so CA is both willing and able to dig deep when making a race (there's also the Fimir, the book of monsters and much more stuff for Norsca). They might be able to make some cool Araby characters out of some off-hand version. They seem adamant about sticking to published material, but they don't mind building on really obscure and old stuff either.

Dogs of War also has a potential LL for Araby in it, Al-Mukhtar who leads the desert dogs, he's a guy from the Empire or somewhere hailed as a prophet of some sorts by the desert nomads, though it's actually some Arabyan guy (Sheikh Shufti) who leads them, who has a pretty cool sword. Either of them could lead an Arabyan faction, or both could be LL picks for the same faction. CA said something earlier this year about race packs going to be four legendary lords going forward right?

e: Also, I really want some more Empire LLs and start positons. Make Boris playable and give Middenland an Ulrician variation of the Empire roster. Add in huntsmen as a new unit, more knightly orders. Shadow dragon lady leading Wissenland and the Mad Count in Averland. Put someone in Sudenburg.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 6, 2018

feller
Jul 5, 2006

John Charity Spring posted:

Start them as a horde with the ability to settle once they conquer a settlement.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Randarkman posted:

CA said something earlier this year about race packs going to be four legendary lords going forward right?

Campaign packs will be, but they could always release the minor races with fewer unique mechanics/animations/legendary lords for a lower price under a different name.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 6, 2018

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Campaign packs will be, but they could always release the minor races with fewer unique mechanics/animations/legendary lords for a lower price under a different name.

This is explicitly a campaign pack though, isn't it? Is there any other contender for a 4-LL race on the Vortex map than Araby (and possibly Southern Realms, though really that'd be more ME as I said)?

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 6, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Sartosa and New World colonies could spawn with two lords each and then shunt half of them to the Old World for ME.

Also, does a "campaign pack" require a new race? Could just be four new lords instead of two, theoretically.

Or hell, two DoW lords plus Ikit and whoever the lizard is.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Hmmm Chaos invasions just spawned on my ME Alarielle campaign on turn 49. On previous ME campaigns it would take over 150 turns for them to turn up.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Randarkman posted:

This is explicitly a campaign pack though, isn't it? Is there any other contender for a 4-LL race on the Vortex map than Araby (and possibly Southern Realms, though really that'd be more ME as I said)?

I'll be surprised if Dogs of War/Southern Realms isn't next, since it's the closest to being something that's obviously happening. Vampire Coast and Araby could both happen, and the DLC codenames suggest they will, but DoW/SR has been telegraphed since Norsca first came out.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sinteres posted:

I'll be surprised if Dogs of War/Southern Realms isn't next, since it's the closest to being something that's obviously happening. Vampire Coast and Araby could both happen, and the DLC codenames suggest they will, but DoW/SR has been telegraphed since Norsca first came out.

Vampire Coast would be cool but seems more like a new VC startpos with a number of unique units and mechanics. Also they really have no other locations to support additional LLs (of which they only really have one).

I want Araby, but I really want Southern Realms. I'm more fine with the Arabyan cities being overrun by Crusaders and mummies than Tilea and Estalia just being Empire dudes. I wonder what their goal in the Vortex campaign would be... maybe just to go explore and pillage wondrous cities and bring fabulous riches back home.

e: I really hope that when they do Southern Realms they get rid of the unified Tilea and Estalia factions and give those regions of the map a bit more detail and turn them into real thunderdomes of independent city states and principalities. Same with Border Princes really, though there I think a patchwork of lots of different races would be cooler than just a number of Southern Realms factions.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 6, 2018

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Electronico6 posted:

I took the Shrine and wasn't at war with Crone and the voyage still came for me. This was with Alarielle, but I guess with Tyrion you can still gently caress off of Ulthuan and not care.
Haven't been at war with her the entire game (also Alarielle) and the blood voyage chills offshore of Tor whateverthefuckitscalled for awhile before it goes for Ellyrion who own the rest of the west coast.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Electronico6 posted:

Hmmm Chaos invasions just spawned on my ME Alarielle campaign on turn 49. On previous ME campaigns it would take over 150 turns for them to turn up.

Yeah, I got the main Chaos invasion at turn 62 in my Alarielle campaign, which was really fun, since my armies were still composed of mostly Spearmen and archers. Fortunately, a few groups of Sisters of Avelorn in each army makes a huge difference against Chaos.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Tilea, at war with Skavenblight, came over my Estalian border and raided me for two turns before moving back to Skavenblight territory. By sheer chance an army of mine that has been on a crusade against Arkhan the Black has arrived back in Estalia.

Playing as Alberic, which is the most bretonnian thing to do:

a) My honour has been offended and Tilea must pay, take out an army or two and force a peace deal later.

b) I’m far to busy fighting spooky skeletons in not-Africa to do anything and will ignore this slight. Who will miss a few peasants.

c) I’m a greedy sack of poo poo, use this as justification to take Tilea, which mysteriously has a 10 slot city?

d) Raze Tilea to the loving ground, allowing the skaven to expand again since I kicked them out of Eatalia, giving me a nearby enemy heavy in chaff units to smash glorious stacks of knights through in the future.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Well bretonnians were the only faction, including loving beastmen, who would never ever hire duplicitous tilean mercs. And Alberic is the chivalrousest of the lot.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
When/how/why did beastmen hire tilean mercs?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Carcer posted:

They didn't according to the above, but hopefully some tidbit of lore describes some enterprising mercenary captain strutting up to a local herd and asking.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
It still bugs me that things like Malakiths unique armor is hidden in the game and will be given to you randomly

https://totalwarwarhammer.gamepedia.com/Armour_of_Midnight

EDIT: I had a hellebron amulet of darkfire for capturing the shrine of khaine, some other dark elf beat me to it, and I lost the quest

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 6, 2018

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Carcer posted:

I think he's referring to the tabletop mechanics rather than anything in the lore.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is it normal for the Chaos invasion to spawn with armies fielding 6+ Hellcannons?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ZeusJupitar posted:

I think he's referring to the tabletop mechanics rather than anything in the lore.

Yeah, back when DoW were official, brets were literally the only race who couldn’t hire them.

It was pretty bullshit to see vamps or khorne melee hordes just casually toss a cannon or two in. At 12 I didn’t quite have the tactical acumen to handle that.

Also, how does Moulder affect the norsca/chaos campaign? It seems like it’s be fun and helpful to cultivate some rat friends to settle the poo poo you burn and help keep the loot train rolling south.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 6, 2018

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Zudgemud posted:

They didn't according to the above, but hopefully some tidbit of lore describes some enterprising mercenary captain strutting up to a local herd and asking.

I mean, the end result of that would simply be "hey, free food," so it's not like it'd be a terribly interesting story. Or a long one.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Lord Koth posted:

I mean, the end result of that would simply be "hey, free food," so it's not like it'd be a terribly interesting story. Or a long one.

Canonically that isn’t true, a beastlord could very well pay for some cannons and a pike block

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, how does Moulder affect the norsca/chaos campaign? It seems like it’s be fun and helpful to cultivate some rat friends to settle the poo poo you burn and help keep the loot train rolling south.

As Norsca, Moulder are exactly that for me. They took a little bit of shepherding but they loved me for fighting Kislev/Kraka Drak and they soon started settling bits of Kislev that I razed

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Senor Dog posted:

gently caress off forever tyrion

I know there are mods that enforce army diversity by putting a cap on the number of a type of unit you can have in each army, but do these also apply to AI? I feel like the AI wouldn't know what to do if it couldn't spam its favorites.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah, back when DoW were official, brets were literally the only race who couldn’t hire them.

It was pretty bullshit to see vamps or khorne melee hordes just casually toss a cannon or two in. At 12 I didn’t quite have the tactical acumen to handle that.

Moulder is generally too weak to actually take any Kislev/Kraka Drak settlements on their own, but once you raze Praag they tend to start rolling out and can be excellent for distracting enemy stacks sent your way

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Started my first New Norsca game last night.

Throgg went on a rampage right after I finished off Skaeling, so I just chilled and built tall while raiding Throgg's lands for money as he confederated every other tribe in like 15 turns. Then once he was done, I swopped in and defeated his weakened army and took all of the Northlands with a single battle.

The side effect is he was at war with Kislev and Kraka Drak, so all that raiding made them my best buds and we're allies and they're fighting the Empire for me while I stomp Louen into the dirt.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Some of the Brettonian lore for the RPG was that they never hired mercs! Under any circumstances! Who could countenance such a shameful act.

But frequently, lords in border regions having ork trouble will hire a bunch of shepherds. Heavily armed ones. To watch one sheep. And after the traditional wage for watching a single sheep has been paid out, a bag of gold will accidentally drop as the lord rides away.

Sheep gets eaten within a week, usually.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Brettonian lore involves a lot of "wink wink nudge nudge" adherence to tradition, like how they don't have any female knights, just male knights with very shapely figures and high pitched voices.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Brettonian lore involves a lot of "wink wink nudge nudge" adherence to tradition, like how they don't have any female knights, just male knights with very shapely figures and high pitched voices.

And the punishment for a woman caught impersonating a man during a Grail quest was....

Making her go on a grail quest. Brettonia was truly the land of polite fictions in the RPG.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't think that one is as much "wink wink nudge nudge" as the shepherds example, that's more knighthood being so esteemed and revered in Bretonnia and so deeply connected to their religion that it is appealing to the whole population, it just so happens that women (or non-nobles in general) can't be knights. But that doesn't stop some of the most driven and devoted amongst Bretonnian women to disguise themselves as men and take up knighthood, and a couple of them slip through the cracks.

This is pretty much all the RPG book though, which decided to go this route and lean heavily into both gender segregation and women disguising themselves as men in order to play up that as a special roleplaying mechanic for the Bretonnian sourcebook to set it apart from the previous books which basically just went with the unspoken assumption that men and women can occupy all positions in society in the Empire*, as with most RPG settings and systems.

* though apart from the RPG kind of making that assumption (or more likely leaving it up to the gaming group to play it that way or not), there is nothing really in the fluff to indicate that the Empire has anything close to gender equality, particularly as regards being a soldier. Though really apart from generally being shorter and lighter and not growing beards it shouldn't really be difficult for a woman to disguise herself as a man and become a soldier, and keep it secret from most except their closest companions, under armor and uniform and with a helmet or something it should be difficult enough to tell. There's like examples from the American civil war of prostitutes "infiltrating" the army by passing themselves off as soldiers and participating in battle and everything, but with their company being aware of their identity (because in this case, that was the whole point).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Man the chaos spawns in Vortex are so loving annoying. Even when I have loving armies garrisoned in the area they spawn in, they go and beeline a random rear end minor settlement and raze it down.

Move on spawn should not be a thing.