Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I had some cool as hell silver mercurials that feel apart in a couple of months. My cheapo pumas have been going strong for almost a year already. Expensive boots are a ripoff in my experience, they're super nice and feel great but have awful durability. I think that's by design and it's fine for rich footballers but dumb as hell for fat cloggers like me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Thread: What's the best ball you've ever played with?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TheBigAristotle posted:

All of the high end Nike balls for the past 10 years have been incredible. The Nike Ordem series of balls that are out now are really great. I think they're miles better than the Adidas offerings.

You can usually find last year/the year before Nike Ordem balls for like half price too. I think the last few I bought were the 16/17 Premier League ball and I got them for like $50 each, essentially three for one.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
eBay?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

eBay is very hit or miss. Last year's balls are generally not that cheap but if you go another year back you may get an insane discount. Spell a word wrong.

Last year's Nike ball is available on Amazon for $90 right now.

Edit: eBay is hitting hard on Ordem 4s right now, they're going as low as $60+ shipping if you don't care that it has the NWSL logo on it.

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 7, 2018

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shrapnig posted:

eBay is very hit or miss. Last year's balls are generally not that cheap but if you go another year back you may get an insane discount. Spell a word wrong.

Last year's Nike ball is available on Amazon for $90 right now.

Edit: eBay is hitting hard on Ordem 4s right now, they're going as low as $60+ shipping if you don't care that it has the NWSL logo on it.

Too bad that 20% off coupon from today is expired and I already used it

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

TheBigAristotle posted:

A round one.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I owned some like 300$ Hypervenom Phantoms that fell apart in 3 months, in mostly good conditions. The toe of my left boot alligatord on me. Those cleats were beautiful, all leather and sexy synthetic interior and felt like I was sliding into pussy every time I put em on

I've had some cheap purple lovely cloth interior, mass produced in India by the labour of children generic Nikes that cost me 32$ at a department store. Held together for nearly a year playing in rain and bullshit.

I practice with 10 cheap lovely 5$ balls from the corner store, they're super light but meh.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Theres this dude that reviews soccer gear named Josh on YouTube that points out deals on gear and poo poo. I bought a few pro balls for about 50 bucks each at the time of the sale. They were 2009 2010 balls (it was before my legs obv.) but I loved them.

Until about 2 weeks ago when I was practicing free kicks and nailed a tree and popped something.

So it lasted years and years through games and abuse.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

TheBigAristotle posted:

I care not for the brand as long as it’s pumped up enough to physically harm someone on impact, OP.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

TheBigAristotle posted:

The best inexpensive-ish balls I know of are Bend-Its. My guess is that the company stole Nike and/or Adidas's IP. They are mostly ugly as heck.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 7, 2018

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I am totally on the "gently caress expensive shoes" train but I'm a little bit of a ball snob... I don't like when they feel like baloons or when they get hard/slick when properly inflated. Here it mostly boils down to getting the $30-$40 ball instead of the $20 one.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

My doctor has told me that a lot of the pain and problems I am suffering is due to a herniated disc. I got compartment syndrome and it threw everyone off.

It isn't as bad as it could be, but my lowest part is basically loving bulging out and messing with the other nerves in my hips and causing the pain and discomfort.

This means lots of physical therapy, definitely lots of needles going into my back, and possibly surgery.

I'm definitely never playing again.

Things could be worse, and I refuse to let this get me. I've been able to change a lot with my injury, and I'm incredibly different than I was before. Now I find comfort in photographing the sport, and will continue to do so all my life.

Thanks for your support through the years. I felt it was fitting to help bring some closure to 5-6 year journey this has been. Enjoy playing while you can, you never know when that joy will be taken from you.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Man that sounds bad, but I'm glad that you have managed this with a fighting attitude, I admire that. Good luck with your therapy and your photo work!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
drat dude, sorry to hear that. You're like TRP's very own Abou Diaby. Just wasn't meant to be, I guess.

Keep posting the photos, they were good stuff.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Where can I find or can someone effort post on some positional stuff about defending as a fullback? Like positional and situational things? I've started playing more regularly and have been invited to play with a group of guys that are really good compared to what I'm used To. It's some former college players and they all play well together. I guess I'm having issues with the speed of play and decision making. All these guys have a really good positioning and cohesion so I find myself in compromising situations or not sure who to close or where to be. Like should i be between the winger and the goal or keep him inside of me? If the midfielder is carrying the ball down and the winger is threatening to run past me, no one is anywhere to put pressure on the ba carrier what do i do? Should i go threaten him and let the winger in behind or carry the winger and let the mid advance as high as he wants like its someone elses problem??

It used to not matter cause I'm generally one of the strongest and fastest people on the field and could always recover but these guys are too good at punishing positional mistakes. I'm just kind of frustrated.

I feel pretty comfortable going foward or providing overlap but I only do that if I have a slow mid really and I always check to make sure the CB can come cover. My crosses are poo poo and I usually just lay it off to someone but that's a different problem.

On a positive note, ocasionally they'll play me at LW and just hoof it to me and I'll go chase it down and hold it in the corner for someone. That's fun. English long ball

433 or 442 usually btw

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 1, 2018

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Waroduce posted:

Like should i be between the winger and the goal or keep him inside of me?

Always be between your mark and the goal. Never let anyone inside of you. As a wingback, your job is to push people outside.

quote:

If the midfielder is carrying the ball down and the winger is threatening to run past me, no one is anywhere to put pressure on the ba carrier what do i do?

Short answer is don’t step up if they aren’t threatening goal, it’s better to maintain shape. Long answer is that your centerback needs to be communicating so that you can maintain shape.

The person stepping up on someone in possession should always be the closest defender. But you don’t always have to step up to someone if they don’t pose a real threat. If you close down too early, then you are basically giving the winger a free run at goal. But if we’re talking right outside the box, someone has to close the midfielder down and, if you’re closest, then that’s you. So it’s good to maintain shape, let them take space until they become a threat to goal, then someone should close them down to force them to make a decision. Hopefully there’s always a center back next to you in these situations (if not, you’re hosed). If these guys are as good as you say they are, the centerback should be communicating what they see on the field and directing a little bit. Organizing the defense is one of the most important jobs of being a center back.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Vinestalk posted:

Always be between your mark and the goal. Never let anyone inside of you. As a wingback, your job is to push people outside.

Short answer is don’t step up if they aren’t threatening goal, it’s better to maintain shape. Long answer is that your centerback needs to be communicating so that you can maintain shape.

The person stepping up on someone in possession should always be the closest defender. But you don’t always have to step up to someone if they don’t pose a real threat. If you close down too early, then you are basically giving the winger a free run at goal. But if we’re talking right outside the box, someone has to close the midfielder down and, if you’re closest, then that’s you. So it’s good to maintain shape, let them take space until they become a threat to goal, then someone should close them down to force them to make a decision. Hopefully there’s always a center back next to you in these situations (if not, you’re hosed). If these guys are as good as you say they are, the centerback should be communicating what they see on the field and directing a little bit. Organizing the defense is one of the most important jobs of being a center back.

This.

Defenders need to talk more than any other position so you should be getting shouts about who is doing what almost constantly when pressure is on. Always stay goalside of an attacker, sometimes you will find that by standing someone up as opposed to being drawn into a challenge they will end up going backwards with the ball if they can’t outrun you. Even if they decide to camp in the corner waiting for support, anyone of their arriving teammates should have one of your team mates in tow.

Unless it’s last ditch, don’t commit to a tackle you’re not confident you can make because any tricky winger only needs that minimal window to give you the slip. If you’re in a competent defence then conceding throw ins and corners when necessary isn’t the end of the world.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Golden rule

If the centre defenders aren't telling the wingbacks and midfielders where they should be you're hosed. Get them talking loudly. They should be screaming at the other players where to be and telling them who to mark and when to step up.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Only thing I'd add is it's your job to talk, too. It's a lot easier for you to see the whole field than it is for the center backs

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I play nailed on LB/RB (generally left) but the CBs I play with vary between like 3 to 5 guys who take turns in midfield as well. One of them talks and is like a coach, i really enjoy playing with him, but the other guys don't talk very much except to call out for line discipline or balls in the air. I don't think they mean it maliciously, I just think they kind of expect me to know what is going on. I've approached them and be like hey I don't loving know tell me, and they do occasionally but not always, or will for like 10/15 mins and than it falls off.

I played today again a friendly, how do I handle overlap? Like no one just kicks and runs it past me, and at lower levels of play I guess I never ran into a situation where like theres a mid advancing toward me with the ball and the fullback will go put in a run and the mid will like actually slow down or cut a little bit to aid in creating space and force me to make a decision. Same situation with a winger, like the winger carrys, FB starts threatening to run past me and than the winger will create space or do ~*something*~ and I'm suddenly in the middle of loving no mans land holding my dick with nothing to do.

I played catcher in baseball so I'm very vocal and communicate alot since its been drilled into me since I was like 10 to talk to everyone. The catcher is the only one who see's the whole field with everything infront of him so I call out shots, checks, pressure, man marking, runs everything. I don't know if they're always right, but I do talk alot.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

If you're already standing up the man with the ball, keep doing that. Someone else should pick up the overlapping runner, and if not, by putting pressure on the guy with the ball you're more likely to make him gently caress up the pass.
The biggest thing as a fullback imo is not to dive into tackles, just get between the man and where he's trying to get the ball. Most times you can just force them the other way, or make them over play and turn it over rather than trying to win the ball directly.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
The reason everyone overlaps, from pros to shitbirds, is because it works. There’s no way you can force the pass and mark the runner if they both know what they’re doing. As my Aussie posting pal said, just stand up the man and force them to do something.

pangstrom posted:

Only thing I'd add is it's your job to talk, too. It's a lot easier for you to see the whole field than it is for the center backs

I don’t know if I can agree with all of this, my man. CBs are literally last line of defense. They should see the entire field much better than a wing back and that is why their job is to organize everyone else in defense. I would agree that talking is a two way street though. When I play wingback, I’m usually calling out offensive players running across the back line from my side, picking up a mark to free up the CB, or occasionally calling out last defender for offside trap purposes. But I let the CBs run the show.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
If your keeper is an actual keeper and not just the old fat guy, they should be able to organize the defense.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Vinestalk posted:

I don’t know if I can agree with all of this, my man. CBs are literally last line of defense. They should see the entire field much better than a wing back and that is why their job is to organize everyone else in defense. I would agree that talking is a two way street though. When I play wingback, I’m usually calling out offensive players running across the back line from my side, picking up a mark to free up the CB, or occasionally calling out last defender for offside trap purposes. But I let the CBs run the show.
It's easier to see the whole field when you're wide, that's all I was saying.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Other thing that occurs to me (thinking about fullbacks who have been bad over the years in admittedly low-level play) is definitely get wide when your CB or GK has the ball at his feet. Not touching-the-lines wide but create an option so it's not easy for the attackers to go hog wild with the press.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 3, 2018

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I've been playing more regularly and I've been trying to be more aware of where I am in space. I've been playing with a new group of guys and I'm near the top of that group so I play alot of wing. I ended with two assists and a goal from LW during a full 11 on 11. One came from a corner I ended up taking since no one felt like walking over. Corners are hard and I've almost never taken one before since i don't feel like I'm good at it. I can identify kind of where I want to put it but like weighing how much power and actually placing it is hard as gently caress. I got lucky and one hopped it into our striker who buried it on my assist. My other assist was off open play. I just kicked it past their fullback and cut back up to the top of the box and laid it into the feet of an oncoming striker. My goal was actually down the middle from a goal kick that took a weird ricochet off their mid into a nice little pocket and i essentially punted it between their RB and CB and out ran both.

Playing with a higher level of player has definitely helped me identify situations i can take advantage of and things i should be aware of. its particularly noticeable when I play with like coworkers and random people in pick ups. I just abuse space behind a defenders and slower defenders but when people know whats going on I'm essentially shut down and very one dimensional. I don't have alot apart from solid defense and cover cause kick and run is not super reliable for me offensively.

Crossing is hard too and something I'm pretty poo poo at. I've never practiced it and every time is basically a hope and a prayer. I try to mitigate the amount I need to do by playing inverted and letting me cut in and work toward the middle and pass or shoot. I played with one other winger opposite me who could switch the ball and put it on my chest or feet every time. It was loving nuts. I tried myself one game cause the opposite FB like wouldn't pressure me and running at him wasn't working out form me. he was giving me a really nice platform to launch from but I feel like he knew it wasn't particularly dangerous. lots of balls into lots of random places. placement is hard :(

please post fullback hot tips n tricks and cool vids

e: IRT communication having a good goalie is dope. I recently played with some dude who played in college and refs NCAA games. He would tell us all to press or fallback and actually call out specific people making runs or who to watch. it was awesome. the cb on my side that game was poo poo though. he kept going on adventures and running around leaving the line :(

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 30, 2018

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Crossing sucks for everyone regardless of skill level. If you watch the pros, most of the time they are crossing to literally no one in the box or it’s pretty poorly placed. But a lot of that has to do with what is asked of people crossing the ball at that level of play. Running near full pace, putting enough power so the header can get past the keeper, putting enough curve to make sure the keeper doesn’t pick it out of mid air, and putting it between the 6 yard box and the penalty spot... not loving easy.

When it’s not at that level, it’s a little easier but not by much. Curve is something you don’t have to worry about as much, cause keeper positioning is exponentially better the more competitive you get. Power is slightly less demanding too, but it’s always worth remembering that wimpy cross = wimpy header, and floated crosses are more likely to be picked out by defenders since there are more of them in the box. Pace is really all about generating space for yourself, so any way you can beat your man will be infinitely easier than trying to lash it in at full sprint. No matter what, though, picking your spot to aim for is always constant. You just gotta know where your fellow attacking players want it. Some like to run near post, some like it far, midfielders usually want you to cut back and just put it on their feet at the top of the box, but you can never really go wrong with something between the 6 yard box and penalty spot.

The only real way to practice is by running the sideline and just putting balls into the box for someone waiting. Faking a cross and cutting it back on the other foot to cross is good practice, too.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Played today with the really good guys. I had some early success against my opposite FB but after about 20mins or so he seemed to get a solid read on my speed and game and just gave me space. I played behind a very slow older french dude who could pass well but didn't move much. He asked me to overlap and i did but it didn't work out too well. by the second half i was just taking it on a run for 15 meters or so and than giving it back.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I find the easiest crosses are when the ball is rolling to you rather than being a dead ball or on the run since there isn't much margin for error with those two. to do this you just have to let the winger know you're there so he (or she!) passes back to you. I like crossing from a point diagonally opposite the corner of the penalty box and hell I even scored like that once by lobbing the keeper by accident

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Tonight's game, last of the season. Tied for first place. Only a win will give us first from H2H with the other team.

Tie game, almost over. Other team is winning so a draw won't do. I sub in for our main striker. We get a break in the mid field, it's played to the left. I call for it and run toward the box after checking to see if I'm onside. He vollies it over and it's a perfect ball, I plant my left foot, strike it right out of the air and it hits the upper 90 right over the keeper.

Ref calls the game as soon as the other team kicks off. We win first place.

No poo poo. Amazing. Best goal of my life. 1st place.

I've been a hack newbie for the past three seasons but somehow have shown improvement this summer. 5 goals in 6 games that I showed up for. One of the bigger highs I've had was that moment.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Just played my first minutes since having knee surgery 6 months ago, and wow I'm not even close to match fit. Knee felt better than it has in about 18 months though, which is fuckin ace

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I'm starting Man v Fat next week, should be interesting.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Played in nets in the Man v Fat league tonight, first game in years. Shipped 5 goals in a 5-0 loss :smith:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've got a double-header tonight, 6 then 730. Needless to say we're bringing in every one of our subs.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
My indoor team is in no man's land right now. We get killed by all the good teams and we kill all the bad teams. It's rare to have a close game.

Also, my teammates are all crazy toxic. Just had a player leave last season because he couldn't handle all the complaining.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
Won a showbag full of deepheat and various voltaren lotions at my clubs preso for being the most perma crocked player in a young club full of young spry bastards :smugdog:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Tongues posted:

Won a showbag full of deepheat and various voltaren lotions at my clubs preso for being the most perma crocked player in a young club full of young spry bastards :smugdog:

Lol this is real good. TRP Injury FC looking strong

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
careful voltarol is bad for your heart, less so when rubbed on but still. you need a heart to live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

Breath Ray posted:

careful voltarol is bad for your heart, less so when rubbed on but still. you need a heart to live

Nothin a little red tiger balm won't fix