Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

You'd think right?

No he'd draw dicks on all the women.

All of them.

It's not even that big of a deal. Something like 8% of kids do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Like they were being hosed by a dick or like they had one or just randomly placed.

Every woman had one. And they wern't even that well drawn.

Endless Mike posted:

I appreciate you and this reference.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So...anyone else reading X-Men Red. If so, how do you feel about the sentinel mind control stuff? I get what they're trying to say through the metaphor, but my issues is it ignores the agency of the actor in real life. While people are controlled by hate instilled in them by people with agendas, they are still ultimately responsible for their own actions and are bad people for killing people. The nanomachine mind control metaphor, while I get what it's going for, takes away the agency and, thus, makes them look like victims of a system of hate and systemic oppression. Which they are, actually, in real life but it doesn't forgive or undo their actions or make them something they didn't consciously decide to do. The story lets them get out of it by the nanomachines made me do it but that isn't the case in real life: even if right-wing propaganda made you a bigot, you still chose to act like a loving monster and you don't just get to hide behind the shield of "propaganda made me lynch this child."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Endless Mike posted:

Was one of them a real big veiny, triumphant bastard?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Covok posted:

So...anyone else reading X-Men Red. If so, how do you feel about the sentinel mind control stuff? I get what they're trying to say through the metaphor, but my issues is it ignores the agency of the actor in real life. While people are controlled by hate instilled in them by people with agendas, they are still ultimately responsible for their own actions and are bad people for killing people. The nanomachine mind control metaphor, while I get what it's going for, takes away the agency and, thus, makes them look like victims of a system of hate and systemic oppression. Which they are, actually, in real life but it doesn't forgive or undo their actions or make them something they didn't consciously decide to do. The story lets them get out of it by the nanomachines made me do it but that isn't the case in real life: even if right-wing propaganda made you a bigot, you still chose to act like a loving monster and you don't just get to hide behind the shield of "propaganda made me lynch this child."
I'm personally not all that fussed about it since, at the end of the day, "sci-fi mind-control making people evil" is sort of a standard thing when it comes to comics, and the X-Men in particular have always used these larger-than-life hyper-real depictions of bigotry to get their messages across. I don't think the main takeaway here is that hateful people shouldn't take responsibility for their hateful actions just because they were indoctrinated by systemic propaganda, but that this systemic propaganda exists and needs to be fought against in order to prevent the further spread of hatred.

And I do appreciate how this sort of message refutes -- however subtly -- that human beings are just hateful fearful creatures by nature and that's just how it is. Instead, this story's position is that hatred has to be learned and absorbed from outside sources...specifically, that someone with bad agendas is specifically manufacturing this hatred. Because that is in fact what happens. There's always a reason for hatred. There is a specific cause of this specific problem. And that means there is a solution for the problem.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

It was not a terrible comic by any means, but yeah I don't know what Marvel was thinking with those covers.

It did seem a case of one of those origin books of 'hey, wanna read about your favorite character when they're nothing like your favorite character?'

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

What am I missing between X-Men Blue 28 and 29? Last time I see the O5, they are off in space... what do I have to read to see them come home?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Hellblazer187 posted:

What am I missing between X-Men Blue 28 and 29? Last time I see the O5, they are off in space... what do I have to read to see them come home?

There was a crossover with Venom and then they come back in Venomized, which is terrible.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Usually not hot on Wolverine guest appearances but him showing up in Thor is amazing.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Usually not hot on Wolverine guest appearances but him showing up in Thor is amazing.

Aping the rediculousness of future ghost rider frank with future Phoenix wolverine.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I really liked OML's "Glob Loves, Man Kills" issue mostly because it remembered a few of the "They all graduated but then they didn't cause no other writer read that issue" X-Kids, including Shark Girl and "Mutant power: awesomeness: Rockslide" and "Mutant power: inconsistency: Anole" but I did laugh my rear end off that the "run and hide you useless shits" cadre of X-Kids included... Quentin Quire. You know, the telekinetic/telepath more powerful than half of the adult X-Men? Cause I guess the artist didn't.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

I sent a screenshot of that panel to a friend of mine who hates comics and it affirmed his view very strongly.

I do love Thor's talking dog though.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Diet Poison posted:

Quentin Quire. You know, the telekinetic/telepath more powerful than half of the adult X-Men? Cause I guess the artist didn't.

He lost his powers temporarily in Generation X. Presumably he gets them back but maybe he hadn't yet?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The X-Men Gold wedding and X-Classified spoiled here: https://imgur.com/a/eP1tBd6
Kitty has cold feet and Rogue and Gambit get married instead. Then a new series starring the two called "Mr and Mrs X" starts.
No creators listed, but I'm guessing Kelly Thompson.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 18, 2018

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Teenage Fansub posted:

The X-Men Gold wedding and X-Classified spoiled here: https://imgur.com/a/eP1tBd6
Kitty has cold feet and Rogue and Gambit get married instead. Then a new series starring the two called "Mr and Mrs X" starts.

...what

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'm actually into this turn of events.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
...Sure just...do whatever, at this point. :xd:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Android Blues posted:

I'm actually into this turn of events.

Seconded. Depending on how they lead into it - if they don't make Kitty back out because 'weddings are scary' but actually give her, you know, a half-decent reason, I think it'll be just fine. This seems fun, on the whole.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
The Good Place spoiler reaction:

Spoiler discussion, including another Guggenheim DC TV show: This is insanely rushed and hilarious considering the CW DC crossover had a wedding twist as well just last year, but I trust Kelly Thompson to spin gold out of it if she's on it. She specifically said that it's not something she said she hoping for yet on her Tumblr, for whatever that's worth, however. Seems an odd way to go about what would have been a wedding that would have been an event though by burying the lede beneath a relationship retread?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I kind of love the idea that Gambit and Rogue would only ever get married as a spur of the moment decision because if they actually thought about it for more than three seconds they'd talk themselves out of it, so this is the only way it could possibly happen, myself.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

if they don't make Kitty back out because 'weddings are scary' but actually give her, you know, a half-decent reason, I think it'll be just fine.

I am really okay with this development, but I'm also sure that's exactly what's going to happen.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I kind of love the idea that Gambit and Rogue would only ever get married as a spur of the moment decision because if they actually thought about it for more than three seconds they'd talk themselves out of it, so this is the only way it could possibly happen, myself.

That makes sense. Hell, it applies to half the RL couples I know.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rochallor posted:

I am really okay with this development, but I'm also sure that's exactly what's going to happen.

There could be a long montage of the ways Peter's been pretty creepy since X-Men Gold started and Kitty coming to her senses, but that won't actually happen.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kitty + Rachel when

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

NmareBfly posted:

Kitty + Rachel when

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

NmareBfly posted:

Kitty + Rachel when

:emptyquote:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

NmareBfly posted:

Kitty + Rachel when

This would be the best reason, but I'm not holding my breath

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I love every single part of this revelation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You know none of the people who bitched about Iceman being gay would say a word because lesbians are hot.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Rhyno posted:

You know none of the people who bitched about Iceman being gay would say a word because lesbians are hot.

No, poo poo's degenerated to the point that they would complain about it loudly about it while doing to unspeakable to the idea behind closed doors.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cabbit posted:

No, poo poo's degenerated to the point that they would complain about it loudly about it while doing to unspeakable to the idea behind closed doors.

Whackin' it is unspeakable?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Rhyno posted:

Whackin' it is unspeakable?

I mean, I just wanted a little couth.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

I saw somebody get super upset over Kitty having short hair with the Gold relaunch. They were, if memory serves, now 'just waiting for her to come out as trans' as it was 'too masculine.'

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Uh people who get angry when someone dares to publish a comic featuring women? Sure they would.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

At least tell me that Gambit is Piotor's best man and Rogue is Kitty's woman of honour.

Because then their decision to get married is in keeping with tradition and makes sense.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

The Question IRL posted:

At least tell me that Gambit is Piotor's best man and Rogue is Kitty's woman of honour.

Because then their decision to get married is in keeping with tradition and makes sense.

How so?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Covok posted:

How so?

Supposedly in ye olden times one of the duties of the Best Man (apart from fighting off suitors and warding away spirits) was that if the bride and groom didn't marry, the Best Man and Maid of Honour were to get married.

Presumably under the context of "well we have all this wedding stuff here. Someone had best get married."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Question IRL posted:

Supposedly in ye olden times one of the duties of the Best Man (apart from fighting off suitors and warding away spirits) was that if the bride and groom didn't marry, the Best Man and Maid of Honour were to get married.

Presumably under the context of "well we have all this wedding stuff here. Someone had best get married."

For example:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Teenage Fansub posted:

Your guess is correct
https://twitter.com/79SemiFinalist/status/1009075006335213569

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

The Question IRL posted:

That's a really weird tradition.
It would be the most awkward way to introduce your best buddy to your girlfriends friend.

At least the maid of honor wouldn't have to replace the bride with the same groom.
Especially, since that might be Illiana.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 19, 2018