Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
So why did netflix bring back Lupin the 3rd with the lovely old dub where they can't even call him lupin. Castle of cagliostro used to be on netflix years ago and I know for a fact it had the new dub with solid snake, where everyone called Lupin "Lupin" and not "the wolf"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think they put up what they get the rights to, and the Department of Lupin Superfans at Netflix HQ didn't catch that because they all watch the subs.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

So why did netflix bring back Lupin the 3rd with the lovely old dub where they can't even call him lupin. Castle of cagliostro used to be on netflix years ago and I know for a fact it had the new dub with solid snake, where everyone called Lupin "Lupin" and not "the wolf"

From what I'm aware, the good dub of the series is at least partly owned by Adult Swim, who are Hulu exclusive.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The dub of series 2 is on Hulu, Crunchyroll, but they use the same voice actors for the other Lupin shows/movies they dub, so I don't think AS has control over Castle of Cagliostro. I think they just chose poorly. That same lovely Wolf dub was the one that played when they screened it in theaters late last year.

I'm watching Flint Town on Netflix. It's real depressing. Though the moment where Trump shows up and gets told to shut up and Hilary was pretty funny.

...and the episode I'm on now takes place on Election Day. :/

Edit: Meant to say series 2, not season 2.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 5, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
This movie Small Town Crime that showed up on Netflix recently is bizarre. It's a pretty standard neo-noir with some solid performances, but I think the director wanted to be the next Coen brothers or something because he throws in these outbursts of violence that are just insanely over the top. There's one at the very end that's like borderline offensive in how unnecessary and meaningless it is.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Basebf555 posted:

This movie Small Town Crime that showed up on Netflix recently is bizarre. It's a pretty standard neo-noir with some solid performances, but I think the director wanted to be the next Coen brothers or something because he throws in these outbursts of violence that are just insanely over the top. There's one at the very end that's like borderline offensive in how unnecessary and meaningless it is.

Sounds right up my alley.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Small Town Crime does kinda own.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lycus posted:

I think they put up what they get the rights to, and the Department of Lupin Superfans at Netflix HQ didn't catch that because they all watch the subs.

good

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I finally finished the last season of Love, and it ended perfectly. Given the characters’ arcs 3 seasons was the perfect stopping point.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Good classic Ben Stiller movies streaming? I’m watching Meet The Parents for the first time right now and the late 90s is just oozing out at me.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Thor: Ragnarok is on Netflix US. It's a very funny movie about a rock monster from New Zealand and his sidekick, the God of Thunder.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Sarchasm posted:

Thor: Ragnarok is on Netflix US. It's a very funny movie about a rock monster from New Zealand and his sidekick, the God of Thunder.

I'd been interested in seeing this for a while because I had heard it was good, but I mostly don't care much about the Marvel superhero movies. It is amazing and hilarious and you don't need to know a single thing about the Marvel universe, Norse mythology, or any external stories to completely enjoy this crazy wild ride.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Section 9 posted:

I'd been interested in seeing this for a while because I had heard it was good, but I mostly don't care much about the Marvel superhero movies. It is amazing and hilarious and you don't need to know a single thing about the Marvel universe, Norse mythology, or any external stories to completely enjoy this crazy wild ride.

Taika Waititi wasn't on my radar before this movie, but he is now.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

fishtobaskets posted:

You should watch Hunt for the Wilderpeople asap then, I think it's on Hulu

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

fishtobaskets posted:

Wait til you see his good movies.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

I can tell I'm really excited about comic book movies at this point when it takes several minutes of googling to even figure out whether I've already seen them or not.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

fishtobaskets posted:

What We Do In The Shadows is on Prime and you should watch it immediately

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

What We Do In The Shadows is on Prime and you should watch it immediately

Is that the vampire movie with either the guy from the Aunty Donna comedy group or someone who looks amazingly like him? That’s been on my list for a while.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

drunken officeparty posted:

Is that the vampire movie with either the guy from the Aunty Donna comedy group or someone who looks amazingly like him? That’s been on my list for a while.

It has Jemaine Clement from Flight of the Conchords

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

It's insanely good.

Enos Cabell posted:

You should watch Hunt for the Wilderpeople asap then, I think it's on Hulu

For fwiggin real?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

mysterious frankie posted:

It's insanely good.

Easily the best vampire movie since Let The Right One In

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

"Do you like basketti?" Is now part of my lexicon.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I generally find marvel movies bland and boring or incomprehensible, but I enjoyed Thor 3. At least part was the retrofuture 1983 production design and soundtrack.

The part before he gets to space is boring as hell.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Marvel movies are absolute popcorn trash at best. Watch once to see the millions of dollars of special effects action and explosions and the one man punching the other mans.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Marvel movies are absolute popcorn trash at best. Watch once to see the millions of dollars of special effects action and explosions and the one man punching the other mans.

If the visuals are flashy enough like in Ragrarok, I'll probably enjoy watching it a second time but comic book movies that fall into that category are few and far between.

I'll also never own an MCU film on blu ray because I refuse to buy these individual releases that they put out for $25 and then re-release with a new slip cover every time another Avengers movie comes out. And they're literally never going to end so it's not like I can just wait to drop money on a really nice comprehensive set of all of them.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I passed on the last few Marvel movies because I’m just bored and burnt out by them. I saw Thor 3 in theaters and I really liked it.

Though, I met someone that ranted about how it was lovely because it had jokes and didn’t have a ‘message like Black Panther did’. She also started trying to shout other people down when they said that the Marvel movies were redundant and cookie cutter, so she’s not someone you can trust on movie opinions.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Watchmen is the only superhero movie you can also call a “good movie” just in general.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Watchmen is the only superhero movie you can also call a “good movie” just in general.

No it isn't. At all.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

It might have been this thread where I mentioned that my wife, who hates superhero movies, actually really liked Ragnarok and she's the kind of person who will leave the room to get away from Marvel stuff, so that's no faint praise.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Where my Hellboy 1 and 2 bros at??

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Oh yea, for sure. But my "few and far between" comment still stands because Hellboy II came out like a decade ago already.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Oh yea, for sure. But my "few and far between" comment still stands because Hellboy II came out like a decade ago already.

Apparently Hopper from Stranger Things is the new Hellboy in Hellboy 3 :shrug:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Eyyyyyyy

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

It's good casting but I find it extremely hard to believe another director can make a Hellboy movie the way Del Toro can. It's inevitably going to be a disappointment. Good for that actor though, he's bounced around in smaller roles for a long time and this is probably the biggest payday of his career. Hellboys earn it too, he's gonna have to spend like 8-10 hours in a makeup chair before filming every single day.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

It's not a Hellboy 3, but a new Hellboy series unrelated to the first two, as far as I know. It's good casting, which is impressive to say, since Perlman is perfect in the role.

To be fair, I was making a distinction that there are good superhero movies not based on comic books that are also legit good, but there are also a few legit good comic book movies, one of which is not Watchmen, unless we are considering it strictly on its visuals and music.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

It's good casting but I find it extremely hard to believe another director can make a Hellboy movie the way Del Toro can. It's inevitably going to be a disappointment. Good for that actor though, he's bounced around in smaller roles for a long time and this is probably the biggest payday of his career. Hellboys earn it too, he's gonna have to spend like 8-10 hours in a makeup chair before filming every single day.

Oh, I agree, I'd say it's pretty impossible to follow Del Toro

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Not getting a Hellboy 3 honestly bums me out a lot, and while I am looking forward to David Harbor as Hellboy it's not going to be the same.

Then again the Hellboy in the movies is a lot different from the Hellboy of the comics so as long as it is a decent films I will be happy to spend some cash watching it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think it was a mistake to kill of John Hurt in Hellboy, I liked that Hellboy had a father figure to go to about stuff and I missed his presence in Hellboy 2.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well the new Hellboy also dropped Lena Headley as the villain and replaced her with Mills Jovovich so I think that could probably give you an idea where they’re heading.

Though Jovovich is also playing a different character so they might have changed their mind and are saving Lena for the sequel bait credit stinger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I'm letting my Prime membership expire in a few days (due to Amazon treating it's warehouse workers like poo poo), so I decided to look through the movies in my backlog before then. I ended up watching I Am Dragon, a 2017 2015 Russian fantasy/romance, out of curiousity , and was genuinely surprised at how much I enjoyed it! I mean, at its core it's basically Russian Medieval Twilight (completely with casting a Russian Robert Pattinson doppleganger),but it tells an actual compelling love story, has a satisfyingly proactive heroine with a tortured love interest who has a genuine reason to be angsty, and is a gorgeous-looking film to boot.

Edit: Apparently the original title is On(or Oh) - Drakon, which translates to Is He/He Is A Dragon.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 7, 2018