Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
https://www.pcgamer.com/blizzard-is-working-on-a-new-unannounced-diablo-project/

https://careers.blizzard.com/en-us/openings/oNiH7fwD

BEGIN SPECULATION NOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Dungeon Art? New? I bet it's for new Set Dungeons.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Interesting that we're getting the end dates now, with a "woops" clause, of course.

Q: When will Season 14 end?

A: We currently anticipate that Season 14 will be ending on Sunday, September 16 at 5:00 p.m. PDT in North America, 5:00 p.m. CEST in Europe, and 5:00 p.m. KST in Asia.

Q: Why is the Season end date an estimate?

A: Traditionally, we have given players two weeks notice prior to the ending of a Season. However, we’ve heard the community’s feedback, so going forward, we’ll be providing more comprehensive Season details in the Season First Look blogs. Please bear in mind that this date is an estimate and there is always a chance it may shift. While we will do our best to hit these target dates as closely as possible, we will continue to verify the Season end date at the two-week warning mark.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Diablo Auto Battler Gacha for Android/iOS.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Read that job posting again. It is for an unannounced project. Assuming that it is the same project that they did a hiring binge for last year, and assuming that said project is D4, then they have an engine either done or close enough to it to start bringing in art talent like this.

I dont think that means anything will get announced at Blizzcon, but maybe Blizzcon 2019 and a late 2019 to mid 2020 release. Maybe. If it has enough polish.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Diablo IV: OK, We Admit We hosed Up That Last One

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

dont even fink about it posted:

Diablo IV: You Thought The Auction House Was Bad? Wait Until You See Our Take On Free To Play!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

It’s like the tenth best selling game of all loving time dude.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Bust Rodd posted:

that doesnt matter if literally a single person doesn't like it! it is officially The Worst Game

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How did people feel about the rune/skill system?

I liked that you could change things quickly, and for free, but I think I prefer less streamlined skill "trees". Quite often different generators felt functionally similar except for how they interacted with items. (With the caveat, again, that I'm familiar with only a fraction of the classes).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

truly a meaningful measure of quality

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
alas i must tell my loved ones that i have liked A Bad Game for too long

is there a woe is me emote? just assume its here.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rinkles posted:

I liked that you could change things quickly, and for free, but I think I prefer less streamlined skill "trees". Quite often different generators felt functionally similar except for how they interacted with items. (With the caveat, again, that I'm familiar with only a fraction of the classes).

It's one of the best things about the game and generally leaves the countless Diablo clones that are obsessed with punching you in the dick for the crime of respeccing in the dust.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

alas i must tell my loved ones that i have liked A Bad Game for too long

is there a woe is me emote? just assume its here.

tell me more about the really cool desert level everyone loves, the entire game mode that was abandoned, the beloved original Metzen story about corrupted heroes, Stupid Sexy Diablo, the runaway success of the Auction House, and the bizarrely antisocial and anticooperative multiplayer PVE game.

Then we can move onto the game's idea of more content being "start over again lol"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
My main issue (with the skills system) is that they transferred most of the build crafting from character skills to items. Which is another subjective gripe, not categorically the wrong approach.

Free respecs are great, and should be a feature in most RPGs. Don't punish experimentation and newcomers.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

tell me more about the really cool desert level everyone loves, the entire game mode that was abandoned, the beloved original Metzen story about corrupted heroes, Stupid Sexy Diablo, the runaway success of the Auction House, and the bizarrely antisocial and anticooperative multiplayer PVE game.

Then we can move onto the game's idea of more content being "start over again lol"

idk? every season i have a group of buddies that do the season for a month or two and have fun playing together because its a good game. i do admit to not being broke brained and assume a game dev owes me a tailor made product that the only person that matters (me) enjoys though. you'd have to let me know on that.

sorry the game matured into a good product over time? I guess???

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

You'll never amount to anything!!! I yell, to the record shattering 7 year old game with the huge following

Which triggered you more - girl Diablo or Black angel

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You'll never amount to anything!!! I yell, to the record shattering 7 year old game with the huge following

Which triggered you more - girl Diablo or Black angel

sir, i have to inform you that 6/5/2018 Game Bad

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Which triggered you more

My stomach feels strange

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I looked up the development history of that haunted island zone and it's kind of sad that Blizz basically abandoned the idea of making a new expansion and just dumped what they had into Adventure mode before giving up

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Xarbala posted:

I looked up the development history of that haunted island zone and it's kind of sad that Blizz basically abandoned the idea of making a new expansion and just dumped what they had into Adventure mode before giving up

Same with the Necro Temple (aka Da Share z0ne), right? That mission to kill Veridian just has some rear end in a top hat suddenly say "Fool, you trusted me!" the first time you meet him.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Xarbala posted:

Anything worth linking? I'd like to read up on it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Rinkles posted:

I'm more for it than against it, but there's definitely a lot of little pitfalls and oddities caused by the way everything's set up. It's hard to actually compare certain rune choices because of how varied the effects can be and certain legendary effects clearly synergizing with one over the other. If you bother to level normally, they unlock in what feels like a random order except when they don't and the "most powerful" ones are sequestered to the right side of the list. Most class abilities are spammy and fun to use, but then the rest tend to be fiddly, long cooldown uber powers that don't really fit the breakneck pace of the game and just leads to everyone stacking CDR to make them permanent anyway. Some mobility powers are cool and fun, others are :effort:. The way that the game scales also makes getting results out of experimentation difficult and unrewarding after a point.

I'd say the core of the system is fine, they just need to expand and refine things while also getting a little more wild so the abilities are more appealing unto themselves and not just because once you completely XYZ set they get a 3000000% damage bonus that lets you jump six difficulties ahead.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dameius posted:

Anything worth linking? I'd like to read up on it.

The source linked from the wiki, when I was looking up if there was anything to do on greyhollow island

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/07/06/source-blizzard-broke-a-second-diablo-3-expansion-into-patch-content/#76b2a7751b5f

No official comment from Blizzard but it's not like it's a great secret that D3 isn't a cash cow service game.

So any talk about how objectively successful D3 was on release doesn't really change the possibility that D3 either is currently not living up to Blizz's expectations, or that their expectations have been lowered to the point where they can't be bothered to produce a new expansion to squeeze some more blood out of this stone.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Same with the Necro Temple (aka Da Share z0ne), right? That mission to kill Veridian just has some rear end in a top hat suddenly say "Fool, you trusted me!" the first time you meet him.

Yeah that was weird as heck when I stumbled onto that. I was like, "this wasn't in the original campaign right?"

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Xarbala posted:

Yeah that was weird as heck when I stumbled onto that. I was like, "this wasn't in the original campaign right?"

The funny thing is the first time I did this I also got a "clear random cave" bounty in the area outside the Temple so after fighting some dude I had never met before going "Bwahaha I was evil the whole time!" I ended up running into the dude I had just killed saying "Hello there, I am just a random traveler who is totally not evil and would like to travel with you for a bit!"

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

John Murdoch posted:

I'm more for it than against it, but there's definitely a lot of little pitfalls and oddities caused by the way everything's set up. It's hard to actually compare certain rune choices because of how varied the effects can be and certain legendary effects clearly synergizing with one over the other. If you bother to level normally, they unlock in what feels like a random order except when they don't and the "most powerful" ones are sequestered to the right side of the list. Most class abilities are spammy and fun to use, but then the rest tend to be fiddly, long cooldown uber powers that don't really fit the breakneck pace of the game and just leads to everyone stacking CDR to make them permanent anyway. Some mobility powers are cool and fun, others are :effort:. The way that the game scales also makes getting results out of experimentation difficult and unrewarding after a point.

I'd say the core of the system is fine, they just need to expand and refine things while also getting a little more wild so the abilities are more appealing unto themselves and not just because once you completely XYZ set they get a 3000000% damage bonus that lets you jump six difficulties ahead.
Yeah, I think that their decision to focus their power creep into set bonuses has caused some undesirable side effects: every time they make a balance pass, or make a new support legendary for an existing build, it funnels people further into those set bonus builds. LoN was a thing for awhile to allow people to construct non-set builds, but there are only so many non-set legendaries and there are only 1-2 viable LoN builds you can make per class. The necromancer is actually the worst about this, because somehow they managed to make three sets that are all used for a Corpse Lance/Land of the Dead build.

The skill/rune system actually works okay while leveling, because you get an opportunity to actually mess around with them on a semi-even footing. And, at some point, you're not going to be able to get as far in an infinite-scaling system as someone who uses a min/maxed build, so it's natural for those choices to narrow as you get higher. But I feel like build diversity should have been more of a goal.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Necromancer’s current state is an indictment of long cooldown abilities in an ARPG more than a gear//itemization issue?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Bust Rodd posted:

Necromancer’s current state is an indictment of long cooldown abilities in an ARPG more than a gear//itemization issue?
It's kinda both: the LotD/Corpse Lance build is more palatable when there are viable alternatives. Some people might really like the gameplay where you nuke everything on screen every 90 seconds and then run like a scared little goth baby the rest of the time. If you're that person, great!

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Incoherence posted:

Yeah, I think that their decision to focus their power creep into set bonuses has caused some undesirable side effects: every time they make a balance pass, or make a new support legendary for an existing build, it funnels people further into those set bonus builds. LoN was a thing for awhile to allow people to construct non-set builds, but there are only so many non-set legendaries and there are only 1-2 viable LoN builds you can make per class. The necromancer is actually the worst about this, because somehow they managed to make three sets that are all used for a Corpse Lance/Land of the Dead build.

The skill/rune system actually works okay while leveling, because you get an opportunity to actually mess around with them on a semi-even footing. And, at some point, you're not going to be able to get as far in an infinite-scaling system as someone who uses a min/maxed build, so it's natural for those choices to narrow as you get higher. But I feel like build diversity should have been more of a goal.

Biased AF here because I believe LoN should be better than any set in the game, just on the basis of difficulty of completion. I love the possibility LoN represents as a concept. Generator builds are cool and LoN can open a world of opportunity for them.

That said, I fear LoN won't ever get brought up to spec not because of the low number of viable builds per class but because the builds themselves vary so wildly in power across classes. They are (or were) using GR leaderboards for balancing and the results for LoN are all over the fricken place. Blizzard will simply not accept that some classes won't have LoN as an option given the necessity of coexisting with 6 piecers now. And the set also doesn't fit into their seasons paradigm (Haedrigs gift? haha no gently caress you, grind those ancients).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bust Rodd posted:

It's really more of a gearing issue in that all Necro sets can benefit Corpse Lance + LotD in some way, which is a brokenly good if finicky combination, so why do anything else etc.

LoN is an easy fix imho, just bring its power increase up to ~3,500% more damage like all updated sets as of two patches ago.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Kyrosiris posted:

Season 14 is the Season of Greed. TL,DR: double treasure goblins all season long.

Conquests are Avarice (gold streak), Need for Speed (TX rift in 2m), Divnity (Solo GR75), On A Good Day (3 legendary gems to 65), and Years of War (GR 55 with 6 class sets), plus HC versions.

Season 14 begins Friday, June 15 at 5:00 p.m. PDT in North America, 5:00 p.m. CEST in Europe, and 5:00 p.m. KST in Asia.

First comment: "Basically the same old content all over again, nothing new."

AHAHA WHAT THE gently caress DO YOU EXPECT?!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dunno if I'll play this season since I can't make it for the season start, and that's my favorite part. Maybe condemn crusader or maybe just wait and see what the next theme will be for future seasons.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Larrymer posted:

Dunno if I'll play this season since I can't make it for the season start, and that's my favorite part. Maybe condemn crusader or maybe just wait and see what the next theme will be for future seasons.

Season 15: Greedier Greed! TRIPLE GOBLINS!!!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The only time it would be worth it is while doing bounties (yuck) or if you found a jello gob. It's not a bad idea though and at least it's something new they're trying.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

It will definitely be more exciting finding gobs that first weekend. Double-jelly lag.

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
Definitely not playing crusader again next season... what a slog that was. Think I'll play wizz, monk, and maybe barb if there's time (there's never time). If Necro goes on sale I'll definitely give that a shot, though it doesn't seem as cool as I'd hoped.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

DrSeRRoD posted:

Season 15: Greedier Greed! TRIPLE GOBLINS!!!

* - Offer void where legally prohibited. Please consult your physician if your greed does not subside after four hours.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I could honestly see them doing:

“Hey guys Double Gobs was a trial run and now that’s how the base game functions and seasons will now be a month shorter to compensate for everyone gearing and farming mats much faster”

like back when they doubled the legendary drop rate and left it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice

Slum Loser posted:

Definitely not playing crusader again next season... what a slog that was.

Explain. I was thinking of rolling Crusader in S14 having never played one but if its awful then I'd rather not.