Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Alxprit posted:

In old FF4 there was no way to tell if equipment affected stats except by checking status. It also gave you a better idea of if your attacks were better than your other characters because only there does it show your Multiplier. I guess to an extent old FF1-3 have similar hangups in having to check stats, but at least you were told in-battle how many hits you were doing back then.

FF3 tells you what stats change when you equip an item that changes them, so it’s baffling that FF4 didn’t do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The old games had a lot of that stuff in the manuals.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Mega64 posted:

I just realized FF12 would have been a universally beloved game if they had renamed "Quickenings" to "Quackenings".

Being too busy loling to notice they hosed up limit breaks on a fundamental level would unironically be an improvement

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Elephant Ambush posted:

The old games had a lot of that stuff in the manuals.

Ah, pdf files, then!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

XII is really fond of the ol' "this boss is now immune to damage" trick

e: Also I like Quickenings

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Yeah well so did Connor MacLeod of the Clan MacLeod, and now he's in a terrible movie series that really could have just ended at the first movie and been remembered fondly. Much like Final Fantasy itself.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gologle posted:

Yeah well so did Connor MacLeod of the Clan MacLeod, and now he's in a terrible movie series that really could have just ended at the first movie and been remembered fondly. Much like Final Fantasy itself.
Have you seen the first Highlander recently? It wasn't a good film series to begin with.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

EmmyOk posted:

XII is really fond of the ol' "this boss is now immune to damage" trick

e: Also I like Quickenings
my boy Trickster
and my boy Zodiark
and my boy The Undying
and my boy basically every other relevant boss other than Yiazmat and Omega

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Good soundtrack though.

Highlander, that is.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

my boy Trickster
and my boy Zodiark
and my boy The Undying
and my boy basically every other relevant boss other than Yiazmat and Omega

Ah I'll just pull off a fifteen hit quickening chain that ended in Blackhole to wipe out the end of Exodus' health... whoops guess I missed that he'd activated no damage mode that's fine thouh

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
It's honestly impressive restraint that they didn't give it to either Yiazmat or Omega, or floor 100 of Trial Mode. Also I didn't mind the way they did it with Deathgaze where it only got one or the other at any given point.

but like loving Gilgamesh gets it
and the physical one makes you immune to Steal
what cockbag thought that up

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gilgamesh is the only one who deserves it because he is a prince.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The worst part about palings is the lack of a gambit loadout system. If you want your mages to heal or buff in the downtime, you have to pause, manually fiddle with all your gambits, then manually put them back when the dickhead decides you're allowed to continue playing the video game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Being able to save gearsets and gambit decks would be lovely.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I beat 6 last night. I was concerned I'd made one of my three teams too weak but managed to make it to Kefka, and quick/Ultima made pretty short work of that. This was one of my favorites to play as a kid, even if I didn't really know what I was doing. I have the newer version of 7 that I'll start tonight. I've beaten it before but not since it was a new game.

Does the newer version have a different translation than the original?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Raxivace posted:

Have you seen the first Highlander recently? It wasn't a good film series to begin with.

It's not good but it still owns.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Being able to save gearsets and gambit decks would be lovely.

That would require gambits to not be a band aid they applied after their real-time menu system failed to work.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gambits are good but saving sets would have been cool af. At least with stuff where you just have to focus on healing and buffs for two mins you can switch off gambit and ASSUME DIRECT CONTROL until the palings fall

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Yeah the gameplay of FF12 would be a lot better if you could make sets-of AI scrips ahead of time that way you could have you character focus on healing or buffs or melee attacks. It'd be even better if you could swap them mid combat, maybe with the L1 button. It'd be very helpful to be able shift your paradigm in response to timing of boss attacks and transitions.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I can't play FF12 without the 2x speed up. It's just so much better with that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah the gameplay of FF12 would be a lot better if you could make sets-of AI scrips ahead of time that way you could have you character focus on healing or buffs or melee attacks. It'd be even better if you could swap them mid combat, maybe with the L1 button. It'd be very helpful to be able shift your paradigm in response to timing of boss attacks and transitions.

B-b-b-but what if an enemy has an enrage timer? I wouldn't know what to do!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kingtheninja posted:

Does the newer version have a different translation than the original?
this guy are no longer sick

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The new FF7 replaces Barret's swearing with random yelling but otherwise it's the same. The 3x speed button totally owns too and makes crater grinding way less painful.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Most of Barret's swearing was just grunting and such in the original anyway. Even the famous "&^#$# pizza" was just "rotting pizza" which is why the music there is also called 'Underneath the Rotting Pizza'. :eng101:

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Elephant Ambush posted:

The new FF7 replaces Barret's swearing with random yelling but otherwise it's the same. The 3x speed button totally owns too and makes crater grinding way less painful.

Didn't they do that in the greatest hits version?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Bruceski posted:

This is important. Opinions on Gogo's usefulness tend to vary based on whether you know you can do this.

I have to sit down and think about my life.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
A friend and I would rent FF6 over and over for the first couple years after it came out. We always knew how to get Gogo, but figured he was just stuck with the Mimic skill as a gimmick.

At one point we rented the game after not having it for a while, and loaded the highest level file. They had Gogo in their party, with the following commands:

Fight
Mimic
Magic
Item

At first we were like what the gently caress? How does he have commands? So we started poking around the menus until we checked Gogo's status and saw there was a cursor on his battle menu. After a bit of messing around, we had other questions. Like why did the previous guy have such a lovely ability list, and not like Tools or Blitz or anything fun.

I think he also had to switch the menu style from list to window or whatever the alternative was, so he could rearrange the commands and then switch back to list. Otherwise Mimic is at the top.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It just occurred to me that FF13 and FF15 were first shown in 2006, and FF14 was first shown in 2009.

That means we haven’t had an announcement for a brand new mainline FF game in almost ten years.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I’m not sure you can count 2006 for XV. It was vXIII then. It only got rebranded in 2012.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

CottonWolf posted:

I’m not sure you can count 2006 for XV. It was vXIII then. It only got rebranded in 2012.

I’ll admit it’s a bit tenuous, but the overall setting and tone is very similar to how it was back then.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

CottonWolf posted:

It's the same project, rebranding it doesn't change the fact it's something that saw a decade of work (and still wasn't really finished when it came out).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My mom bought me the Nintendo Power FF6 players guide which taught me how to change Gogo's moveset for Christmas :shobon:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
You know what would be really cool?

If there was a way to make a steal gambit that detected when the enemy has no items to give anymore.

I have been running with "Foe HP = 100% -> Steal" but gently caress having to manually attack because your character will just keep trying to steal or aggro everyone.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's the same project, rebranding it doesn't change the fact it's something that saw a decade of work (and still wasn't really finished when it came out).

By most accounts they basically threw out everything and started again in 2012 after the announcement

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://mobile.twitter.com/FFXVEN/s...789166180306944

So FFXV has mod support? The example in the guide is good though

http://modtool.finalfantasyxv.com/en/guide.html

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Sefal posted:

I can't play FF12 without the 2x speed up. It's just so much better with that.

Same but also the map overlay.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

what tools do i need to make a reskin of noct's clothes to have black pot leaves instead of black stars on his black shirt

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Frionnel posted:

You know what would be really cool?

If there was a way to make a steal gambit that detected when the enemy has no items to give anymore.

I have been running with "Foe HP = 100% -> Steal" but gently caress having to manually attack because your character will just keep trying to steal or aggro everyone.

Nope. Either put up with stealing from everything and having your teammates hit them with gambits or just remove stealing. You kinda don't need to be stealing everything as there's only certain bosses you want to steal from and you can get enough money from drops.

If you doing any kind of party with a caster you might only be able to get off one steal per fight.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 8, 2018

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Who do I have to pay to have someone mod a weapon that's literally just Luna and have Noctis swing it around.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Nope. Either put up with stealing from everything and having your teammates hit them with gambits or just remove stealing. You kinda don't need to be stealing everything as there's only certain bosses you want to steal from and you can get enough money from drops.

If you doing any kind of party with a caster you might only be able to get off one steal per fight.

It's just bizarre that stealing works that way when "Ally: Any -> Esuna" works the way it does. They clearly could have made it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Frionnel posted:

It's just bizarre that stealing works that way when "Ally: Any -> Esuna" works the way it does. They clearly could have made it better.

When I was playing the steam release and I realized I didn't have to steal from everything, I found it more enjoyable anyway.