Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Oh my loving god. I think I just found a werewolf. Getting Bloodborne induced PTSD flashbacks.

Loving how if you keep your distance and use your wits you can avoid fighting with the Priwen Guard some of the time. After figuring out their patrol habits they mostly just go "It ain't safe for you here, sir!" and try to keep me from running into crazy poo poo like that by being mobile blood bags walling off dangerous monster infested areas.

Edit: OKAY YEAH THAT IS DEFINITELY A WEREWOLF. It's ripping through like a dozen of the Priwen Guard and appears to have vampiric shadow powers that let it teleport. It can almost sprint faster than I can too. :stonk:

You can see it just tearing apart two of the Guard in the background of this brawl. I guess this is why you don't want districts to get to serious status.

That lump on the ground is the rookie Priwen Guard member it just exsanguinated while his friend screamed in horror and proceeded to rush the thing with a scythe giant cross of all things. :black101:

The last screenshot was taken while it tackled the poor bastard with the scythe behind the fences. There was a lot of screaming and then things went silent as I booked it. None of that was pre-scripted too. Just the result of me luring the thing into the Guard members in the hopes they'd take it out.

Apparently the guy with the scythe (Which may actually either be a giant cross or is some sort of weird scythe cross. Couldn't tell due to the darkness and how chaotic the fight was with all three sides going at each other.) is named "Reverend Kane" and can use a cross to generate some sort of "The power of Christ compels you!" Salem's Lot-esque anti-monster field too. He just about crisped me when I got near. And that Skal did nooot make it. Guessing that the Reverend's name is a Poltergeist reference too.

TL;DR: This game is super atmospheric and should win an award for being the best unofficial Bloodborne prequel of the year.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Archonex posted:

Oh my loving god. I think I just found a werewolf. Getting Bloodborne induced PTSD flashbacks.

Loving how if you keep your distance and use your wits you can avoid fighting with the Priwen Guard some of the time. After figuring out their patrol habits they mostly just go "It ain't safe for you here, sir!" and try to keep me from running into crazy poo poo like that by being mobile blood bags walling off dangerous monster infested areas.

Edit: OKAY YEAH THAT IS DEFINITELY A WEREWOLF. It's ripping through like a dozen of the Priwen Guard and appears to have vampiric shadow powers. :stonk:

There are a few collectibles hinting that many monsters from supernatural folklore are real, and are in fact subtypes of the vampire genus. Werewolves are part of that, and harpies and some sort of Chinese beastie are also mentioned. Now I'm wondering just what might still be waiting down the line. :stare:

Also, I went ahead and made a short video pointing out where the recipe for the last set of cures is hidden, because even with the description from earlier in the thread I kept searching way too long. From Whitechapel, head east to the cemetery (in the northeast corner of the map), and once you reach the area, follow the video. The recipe will be on this body:
https://i.imgur.com/kxo1uGm.mp4

Lastly, has anybody else done the blackmail quest yet, and if so how did it turn out for you? I was mildly spoiled on it from one of the previews, so I knew ahead of time that there was a clue-based third way to resolve it. So I spent some extra time gathering all the clues in the area I could (I think you only need all of the nurse's clues, but I'm not sure), and then smugly went in there and picked that option, certain that all my extra preparation would grant me the best ending to that quest. Well, turns out it didn't. It really, really didn't. The doctor tried to "Charm" her into forgetting about the blackmail material, but it seems like I basically just lobotomised her, and by the next night she'd ended up being skalified. What happens if you just spare her, does she survive then or is the whole thing guaranteed to end badly no matter what?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Perestroika posted:

There are a few collectibles hinting that many monsters from supernatural folklore are real, and are in fact subtypes of the vampire genus. Werewolves are part of that, and harpies and some sort of Chinese beastie are also mentioned. Now I'm wondering just what might still be waiting down the line. :stare:

Yeah, i'm appreciating and am seriously amused that this game incorporated what looks like the True Faith power set from OWoD's Hunter on top of all sorts of other monsters. Up until I met that guy I thought that the cross stuff was bunk or a trick. Then he kamehameha's me and a nearby Skal about to devour him with freaking holy light out of nowhere and sent me skittering back into the darkness of the alleyway like a vampire actually would do.

Seriously wondering if we're going to run into a chinese hopping vampire or something down the line now too.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 7, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

LazyDivey posted:

Help I made a bad choice and the docks are teetering on collapse and I've had to put down 3 NPCs who ended up becoming crazy or zompires.

Everyone in the docks district either has fatigue or a cold now too, what in the rear end?

Main story spoiler if you want to avoid my mistake: Don't spare the docks pillar priest dude after he turns in to a corpse eating skal. It took him the duration of one whole day to break his oath and form a skal cult and cause the two sisters in that area and the town drunk to go hostile or crazy and try to kill me. After having to put them all down the whole district is a sliver from going hostile

loving called it

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Option 3: Funny Life is Strange reference where you had a plant you had to take care of each episode but oops if you over-watered it, it died too!

Now all we need is someone to find Jax the robot panda and then this game can be fully integrated into DONTNOD canon.

Basic Chunnel posted:

From what I’ve played I think I’d compare Vampyr more to Alpha Protocol than anything - macro-level reactivity, emphasis on dialogue and leveraging research in dialogue, dreary combat and environmental design, boss fights that add nothing to the game - but played at 1/10 speed and 0% of the wit. It’s basically, how much would you like Alpha Protocol in an open world and Mass Effect dialogue design / writing? The answer to that goes a long way toward predicting how much you’ll enjoy Vampyr

I enjoy BEEPBOOP DISPENSING LIFE STORY type stuff because I like helping cartoon people and finding Grandma's Lucky Combat Knife from The Space War scratches that itch. I think the combat is pretty nice on the whole, and it can get into a good rhythm. But sometimes you end up getting stuck in small spaces that make combat a nightmare, or you face an enemy that takes just a little too long to fight. None of the bosses I've fought so far had anything close to phases where they'd change tactics and I'd have to learn and adapt, so it becomes tedious. Also I think I stumbled into a boss fight by accident with some named Priwen guys?

Perestroika posted:

What happens if you just spare her, does she survive then or is the whole thing guaranteed to end badly no matter what?[/spoiler]

I have yet to really see the consequences but from what I can tell you let Dorothea continue the blackmailing and Lady Ashbury gets all "tut tut I'm mildly disappointed! you'll pay for my blackmail bill!" (you do not actually have to pay anything).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Okay fam, guess I'm gonna end up getting this when I have some free time this weekend. Not really a fan of vampire games, but I am a superfan of Dontnod and hard choices that screw you over no matter what.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
1.- How is this game compared with Vampires The Masquerade: Redemption?
2.- It is worth the full price or its better to wait for patches/more content/ lower price?

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010
Some of my impressions after about 6 hours:

The performance of the game is the only thing I think is poor. (PS4 Pro). It’s a little jittery here and there but it’s nothing that bothers me that much. The load times are fairly horrendous.

The atmosphere is stellar. Reminds me of Bloodborne. Talking to characters can be a little tiresome, especially at the start of the game. Lots of characters to get to know. It’s evening out now though.

The combat is fairly janky but it’s serviceable. Last night I started getting more abilities and I thought it was really fun. Also once you start fighting some harder enemies and have to struggle through a few fights it clicks.

I really like the game and I’m sad I won’t be able to play more until Sunday evening.

For reference on some other games I’ve played lately (GoW, Detroit, Dark Souls R, and every game that’s come out honestly). I think it’s worth the full price so far.

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010

DoctorGonzo posted:

2.- It is worth the full price or its better to wait for patches/more content/ lower price?

I’ve only played Masquerade for a little while but if you really like that game I would think Vampyr would be in you wheel house.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

DoctorGonzo posted:

I'd say if you ever reinstalled VTMB AND enjoyed Alpha Protocol: you can safely buy this for $50. I'm feeling good about my purchase so far.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'd say if you ever reinstalled VTMB AND enjoyed Alpha Protocol: you can safely buy this for $50. I'm feeling good about my purchase so far.

If there are characters like Jeanette and SIE ill buy the game right now

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

DoctorGonzo posted:

There was a June 25% off coupon on GMG that knocked my price down to about $38 and I'm feeling like I got my money's worth so far. Check their website to see if the coupon's still active.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

DoctorGonzo posted:

I have met a crazy, goth lady who thinks she's a vampire. :shrug:

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

DoctorGonzo posted:

You sure you don't mean V:TM Bloodlines? Okay, i will play along:

In comparison to V:TM Redemption far too much dialogue and not enough dungeon crawl.
There are still quite a lot of weapons and powers to play around with. Like every modern game has a crafting system.
You don't get a party of ineffective npc dudes. Just our good doctor.

At least only the intro ("WHAT IS GLASS BUT TORTURED SAND??") can compare in cheesiness ("MY SWEET ANEZKA. WOE IS ME.").

Lodin posted:

I chuckle because on one side you have a bunch of basement dwelling CHUDS who bitch about the game having too much talking and not enough Souls-Borne. On the other there's blue haired trans-people who wanted another LiS.
It's a bloody good mix and I think that years from now it'll be seen as a classic.

Utterly brutal.

(But true, if i remember correctly some "hardcore fans" for these games.)

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 7, 2018

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I have met a crazy, goth lady who thinks she's a vampire. :shrug:

Hell I dated one. Wait, are we still talking about the game?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

My impression is that it's a bit more subdued than Bloodlines so far. Bloodlines was the sort of game that started out with Jeanette giving you her best Harley Quinn impression and assumed that the basics of the setting were known. This does the opposite and seems to have more of a slow build to the interesting stuff being revealed. See my post at the top of the page as an example of what I mean.

Also, it takes place in a London that's literally rotting from the inside out instead of a modern setting with all the glitz, glam, and corruption you can find in WoD's version of cities. Though the further in I get and the more I explore the nooks and crannies the more I get the feeling that our character (being a newbie to being a vampire.) is basically just dipping his toes into the more Bloodlines-esque stuff. Especially with the discovery that there's apparently at least one or two different vampire groups (and for those that played Requiem you can get a Lancea et Sanctum group going too) dicking with each other to pass the time. Never mind Lady Ashbury the vampire nearly jumping to the conclusion that a vampire rival was screwing her over somehow due to some conversation options I took.

Given the fact that it's a fresh setting I can see how the slow burn is so helpful. It's something to note though. The game isn't as in your face with everything being hosed up. Even Pembroke Hospital has a lot of conspiracies and corruption going on that you can dig up if you dig around despite it's initial bland appearance when doing your introductions to everyone. Pretty much everyone there has some sort of secret they're keeping from most everyone else.

I'd say it's less like Redemption in that Redemption was largely a linear game as well. This game looks like someone looked at Bloodlines and thought that an open world with dynamic changes to it and branching decision trees that effected large numbers of people would be the logical progression from there. And they realized that the character interactions were some of the best parts of Bloodlines and added a ton of social stuff right out the gate.

I'm not even kidding on that list bit as well. It'll take you about 2 to 3 hours just to get through the initial conversations with the various people in the districts. Never mind the time needed to find them all. Some are hiding in some really out of the way places. Then you start to realize that talking to other people opens up new dialogue and ways to solve quests/interact with people. Then you stumble across an item in an out of the way place that changes things up too and you realize there's multiple ways to handle many quests. Some of which aren't even made known to you otherwise. The game's obviously built for replayability/dicking about to see what changes when you do ____ thing once you've beat it once.

On another note though, should we have a proper OP and thread for this game? I can't see it getting much attention with the current setup. I could look at drafting something if people think it should have one. My leg's broken, so I don't have much of anything to do otherwise.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 7, 2018

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah i was talking about bloodlines

Archonex
May 2, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

yeah i was talking about bloodlines

Someone else mentioned Redemption so I just folded it into my post. My bad.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

LazyDivey posted:

Help I made a bad choice and the docks are teetering on collapse and I've had to put down 3 NPCs who ended up becoming crazy or zompires.

Everyone in the docks district either has fatigue or a cold now too, what in the rear end?

Main story spoiler if you want to avoid my mistake: Don't spare the docks pillar priest dude after he turns in to a corpse eating skal. It took him the duration of one whole day to break his oath and form a skal cult and cause the two sisters in that area and the town drunk to go hostile or crazy and try to kill me. After having to put them all down the whole district is a sliver from going hostile

You made a mistake there, buddy : If you talk to Old Bridget enough, you can find that Skal view Ekon blood as some sort of ambrosia from the gods, and that it eases the symptoms of being a Skal. If you've found that out, you have a third option to spend 500 xp and force the priest to drink your blood, restoring him to sanity and pushing his craving for human flesh from an maddening compulsion into merely just having to eat it to live.

This makes me feel a bit bad we don't offer this Skal-Cure to Old Bridget and Harriet, but I suppose if you decided to take it upon yourself to cure all the skal you'd run out of blood and there'd still be hundreds of skal left in london alone.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Bloodlines always had a very grungy, self-aware campyness that kept a certain amount of light-hearted goofiness throughout most of the game (to its strength, in my opinion). Vampyr by contrast is extraordinarily serious and morose in classic gothic fashion, usually to good effect but sometimes to unintentional amusement in a sort of "good lord, is NOTHING terrible in this lovely city?" way. It's sort of like a grindhouse film versus Stoker when thinking of tone.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

FunkMonkey posted:

Bloodlines always had a very grungy, self-aware campyness that kept a certain amount of light-hearted goofiness throughout most of the game (to its strength, in my opinion). Vampyr by contrast is extraordinarily serious and morose in classic gothic fashion, usually to good effect but sometimes to unintentional amusement in a sort of "good lord, is NOTHING terrible in this lovely city?" way. It's sort of like a grindhouse film versus Stoker when thinking of tone.

To counter this a bit, on a surface level everything is poo poo but I really like how digging down with people generally reveals that there aren't that many intrinsically terrible people, and most of them are crappy because they are forced to be so by circumstance. Everyone had something messed up with them, but there are a lot of genuinely good people to offset it.

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
VtMB had Mitnick, the very ugly and loathsome hacker, whose life was actually improved by being becoming a sewer dwelling immortal monster. ther'es nothing that silly like that here.

I'm really enjoying this game, but holy cow, is it ever dire

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

There’s nothing half as cool as getting into an argument with a stop sign in this game. Two stars

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

To counter this a bit, on a surface level everything is poo poo but I really like how digging down with people generally reveals that there aren't that many intrinsically terrible people, and most of them are crappy because they are forced to be so by circumstance. Everyone had something messed up with them, but there are a lot of genuinely good people to offset it.

Very true, I meant more in terms of the atmosphere rather than the characters themselves. Even the unambiguous shitheels have layers to them, and there is tragedy in that enabling certain NPCs can and will make things harder on others, regardless of your motivation.

I almost certainly will go back through a second time with the benefit of hindsight as to consequences to see how close to an "optimal" run you can achieve in terms of good of the city. And of course an apex predator run where everyone gets chomped because lol of course.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 7, 2018

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry about the blue haired trans-people joke earlier. My sense of humour is lovely sometimes.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

In this game the Stop sign is the sole caregiver for four signlets but is drinking itself blind on ethyl alcohol bc it got conned out of its life savings by a charming Yield sign.

But wait, the Yield sign used that money to found a grammar school for chimneysweeps. It’s a world of nuance out there

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

In this game the Stop sign is the sole caregiver for four signlets but is drinking itself blind on ethyl alcohol bc it got conned out of its life savings by a charming Yield sign.

But wait, the Yield sign used that money to found a grammar school for chimneysweeps. It’s a world of nuance out there

My sidequest was to steal the hooch from the chimnysweeps to help dull its pain. It's a fragile ecosystem, we all do our part.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I just started, and I understand that if you go for a no-kill run your XP is limited as crap. I've been lukewarm on combat so far, so is there a core set of skills I should be focusing on with the xp I'm getting? (Right now my plan is to upgrade the crap out of bite and just spend most of every battle healing, staking, biting to restore the blood, then repeating.)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

I just started, and I understand that if you go for a no-kill run your XP is limited as crap. I've been lukewarm on combat so far, so is there a core set of skills I should be focusing on with the xp I'm getting? (Right now my plan is to upgrade the crap out of bite and just spend most of every battle healing, staking, biting to restore the blood, then repeating.)

Stamina should always be your top priority, since you need it for dodging and weapon attacks. You WILL die if you run out of dodge juice and get surrounded by enemies.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 7, 2018

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Good point, I just did the Will boss fight on the docks, and I was constantly running out. How are upgrade materials in the long run- can I just dump resources into everything, or should I be figuring out one weapon and just pour everything into that one thing for the entire game?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I've been really interested in this game since it came out and it looks pretty dope, actually, despite the bad reviews...my question is: is there any verticality in the open world? Like Dishonored style free-movement through the levels? It's not a major dealbreaker or anything but Im curious

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
The biting plan is working for me. I will say that instead of upgrading that first stake, you save your materials and wait just a little bit. A two-handed weapon that stuns appears relatively early, and a better stake can be found soon after that.

Also, just one point in Shadow Mist is surprisingly effective against most enemies early on. You can cheese some scary encounters by getting two groups to aggro one another, or by hitting someone with a ranged attack then closing a gate, which they'll run against while you smack them in the face.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

Good point, I just did the Will boss fight on the docks, and I was constantly running out. How are upgrade materials in the long run- can I just dump resources into everything, or should I be figuring out one weapon and just pour everything into that one thing for the entire game?

Upgrade stuff isn't incredibly scarce, but will require grinding if you really want to upgrade everything. Two good choices for one hand are the bludgeon you get from the first boss, which can be upgraded to stun on hit, or the medical saw you can pick up in the hospital which can get you blood on hit.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

FunkMonkey posted:

Upgrade stuff isn't incredibly scarce, but will require grinding if you really want to upgrade everything. Two good choices for one hand are the bludgeon you get from the first boss, which can be upgraded to stun on hit, or the medical saw you can pick up in the hospital which can get you blood on hit.

Hmmkay, thanks... what about the scythe, it does seemingly massive damage and inflicts stun (I think?), but I'm already finding parrying frustrating and it eats stamina like a dog in a biscuit factory.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

If you're not going full pacifist, one of the objective assholes you can kill early on gives you a rather nice hatchet that can be upgraded to do both blood on hit AND stun on hit.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmmkay, thanks... what about the scythe, it does seemingly massive damage and inflicts stun (I think?), but I'm already finding parrying frustrating and it eats stamina like a dog in a biscuit factory.

I never really use the two-handers much since the faster attack speed of one handers combined with the utility of the stake or dagger in the offhand were much more practical in my eyes. Matter of personal taste, though.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Frog Act posted:

I've been really interested in this game since it came out and it looks pretty dope, actually, despite the bad reviews...my question is: is there any verticality in the open world? Like Dishonored style free-movement through the levels? It's not a major dealbreaker or anything but Im curious

There's no crazy Assassin's Creed stuff but you get a situational teleport that can let you zip up to balconies and across rivers and such.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Infinity Gaia posted:

If you're not going full pacifist, one of the objective assholes you can kill early on gives you a rather nice hatchet that can be upgraded to do both blood on hit AND stun on hit.

Ooh, I think I'm going to stick with that or the hacksaw then- blooding on normal hits sounds absurdly useful.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, I was thinking of getting this game later this evening, so I´d like to know if anyone could give me the headsup for the PS4 version. Is it stable and how are the loading times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Ooh, I think I'm going to stick with that or the hacksaw then- blooding on normal hits sounds absurdly useful.

It's not that big an amount. To be honest, the Lissom Knife is better for it. Even at level common it can be giving like 15+ blood per hit. Alternatively, the Priwen Stake is amazing for stuns and abusing feeding in combat.

• Locked thread