Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

Well, obviously, but at least we'd see it as charmingly stupid instead of aggresively stupid.

It reminds me of the Fire Emblem Romhack thread, where there were some goofy bits of fanwankery that were actually treated somewhat kindly just because they were honest about being goofy bits of fanwankery. There's one particular romhack I remember where the consensus was something to the effect it was dumb and goofy and a little insular and definitely fanwankery, but it was actually kind of fun and came from a place of love and it was ultimately harmless and unassuming.

Basically when you treat your fanwork as something super duper serious it cuts both ways because it invites viewers to take knives to it when it turns out your super duper serious thing is immature solipsistic twaddle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

Except we'd be mercilessly mocking them anyway because the Goon Hivemind despises fanfiction.

Well hey, a badly written game where you help a school girl get her Bounsweet back from a bully would be harder to be mean to than a badly written game where you've got terrorists and an absurdly over the top chipper character 'squee-ing' over explosions. It's a jarring tone shift that doesn't work, compared to a well written game, like Yakuza 0.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Omnicrom posted:

It reminds me of the Fire Emblem Romhack thread, where there were some goofy bits of fanwankery that were actually treated somewhat kindly just because they were honest about being goofy bits of fanwankery.

That's really the key difference, is being self-aware. I'll admit, back when I was in high school and Gen IV first came out and everyone was really hype about Pokemon having online battling, some people I knew online and I talked about forming our own fan-made Pokemon League that people could challenge, we even got as far as one of us making trainer sprites for everyone and forming our Pokemon teams, but we all accepted that it was silly and just for fun, and ultimately wound up not doing it when we realized the whole Friend Code thing was actually pretty clunky and I think half of us didn't even have wi-fi at the time.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
Is anybody else weirded out by the completely out of place and not at all subtle security cameras that are obtrusive and everywhere?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

RyuHimora posted:

Is anybody else weirded out by the completely out of place and not at all subtle security cameras that are obtrusive and everywhere?

No, I live in the UK.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

RyuHimora posted:

How else will you know it's a futuristic dystopian hell? As written by someone who read a synopsis of 1984 once and doesn't remember anything other than being watched constantly?

These people can't even fix walls, I doubt the cameras work.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

EclecticTastes posted:

I think half of us didn't even have wi-fi at the time.

Remember how clunky it was to actually use too? Originally you needed either no security or WEP security on your router to connect online with the DS. While they did improve that eventually, but you needed the DSi AND needed to be playing a later game that supported WPA/etc.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

SirSystemError posted:

Remember how clunky it was to actually use too? Originally you needed either no security or WEP security on your router to connect online with the DS. While they did improve that eventually, but you needed the DSi AND needed to be playing a later game that supported WPA/etc.

I don't think any games other than Gen 5 even supported the DSi's online capabilities that weren't DSiWare. It was just such an awful system on the original DS.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

SirSystemError posted:

Actually, I remember how Nintendo released its own special USB dongle alongside the Wii you could use to get your Nintendo systems online without a wireless router. This was about a year or two after this story, though, because I was one of the ones without wi-fi (my family couldn't really afford a wireless router at the time), I was kind of relieved that the whole thing petered out before I had to actually mention it.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

ChrisBTY posted:

Wow when you put it that way now I just feel like we're crashing the Reborn party.
Oh no, they put this out there for everyone to play and also mock people who complain about the lovely balancing as being 'pokemon babies', I don't really have much sympathy. It's just funny because they're legitimately putting quite a bit of effort into this (and a lot of sprites made wholesale look great, at least for pokemon), but because of an unwillingness to stray too far from the source material or make the harsher cuts needed to turn something that's pure self-indulgence into something for a wider audience, it's a mess. It might be a kinda charming mess if it weren't for the railroading.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 7, 2018

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
There's also the thing that they're not really nice people either. Their absolutely hostile responses to feedback just makes them easier to disdain, and therefore relentlessly mock.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

RareAcumen posted:

Well hey, a badly written game where you help a school girl get her Bounsweet back from a bully would be harder to be mean to than a badly written game where you've got terrorists and an absurdly over the top chipper character 'squee-ing' over explosions. It's a jarring tone shift that doesn't work, compared to a well written game, like Yakuza 0.

I'm now imagining a sidestory in Yakuza where Kiryu meets up with some bitter nerd obsessed with some kid's series who won't stop talking about how serious and deep and mature his game about cute monsters having funtime battles are. Ideally it ends with Kiryu agreeing with him, but with his natural lack of an off switch Kiryu turns the whole thing into even more of a joke.

Of course I've only played Yakuza 0, so for all I know that literally happens in one of the other games.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
Has there ever been a game, either official or fanmade, that stole the entire gameplay mechanics of a different game, made up a new location in the existing setting, put in new themes that are in conflict with what the main games stand for, and did it in an enjoyable way?

e: Persona Q doesn't count.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RyuHimora posted:

Has there ever been a game, either official or fanmade, that stole the entire gameplay mechanics of a different game, made up a new location in the existing setting, put in new themes that are in conflict with what the main games stand for, and did it in an enjoyable way?

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon arguably.

Pokemon Conquest definitely

:v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

RyuHimora posted:

Technically, all mainline Pokemon games are just the previous game but different :v:

It's me, I am the jaded individual who looks at all of the mainline Pokemon games and weeps at their profit margin.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

RyuHimora posted:

I'd say fallout 3 to FO1 and 2, but as that game changed all the mechanics, I'd say New Vegas to FO3

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

I'd say fallout 3 to FO1 and 2, but as that game changed all the mechanics, I'd say New Vegas to FO3

How are the themes in New Vegas in conflict with the themes in Fallout 3? They both seem to lean pretty heavily on "don't trust authority figures blindly, especially when they come preaching 'order' and don't try to reclaim a past that can never return to the detriment of the present".

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

KOTOR 1 and 2 would be a better example.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

KOTOR 1 and 2 would be a better example.

This is true, especially if you count that "restored content" mod that's basically ubiquitous for the PC version of KOTOR 2 (both in terms of being enjoyable and flipping the previous game's themes on their head). The development switching over to Obsidian is largely responsible for that. Chris Avellone didn't know much about Star Wars, so he did a deep dive, watching the movies, reading the novels, and the big takeaway Chris Avellone had for Star Wars is that he loving hated Star Wars. Or rather, the forced binary morality and the sheer black/white divide between the Dark and Light sides. This is why KOTOR 2 is a longform takedown of the moral underpinnings of the franchise, and I would say that it actually has a better story to tell, overall. HK-47's big speech about the difference between "assassination" and senseless murder stood out to me as a powerful moment, the way it showed how even this character whose entire shtick was being comic relief through his over-the-top violent tendencies actually had principles.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 8, 2018

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

EclecticTastes posted:

How are the themes in New Vegas in conflict with the themes in Fallout 3? They both seem to lean pretty heavily on "don't trust authority figures blindly, especially when they come preaching 'order' and don't try to reclaim a past that can never return to the detriment of the present".

Uhh, I don't know where you got that notion about New Vegas, since that's every faction except Yes Man and at least two of them are better choices.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Uhh, I don't know where you got that notion about New Vegas, since that's every faction except Yes Man and at least two of them are better choices.

I disagree, House was a despot stuck in the past, and while the NCR may be authority figures, they don't come preaching easy solutions and a hard return to order like the Enclave, and they look forward, not backward, so I'd see them as an equal option to the Independent ending, which is the best ending (New Vegas is free of outside influence and prosperous*, with minimal loss of life, if you upgraded the Securitrons).

*Assuming you did all the relevant sidequests right.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's more that NCR does a lot of kinda lovely stuff too, but since they do so under the banner of the greater good, people are more willing to subject themselves to NCR governance. But throughout the desert you find plenty of people who aren't so happy with them showing up. It's just that the alternative is Caesar's Legion and it feels like the devs kinda went out of their way to make that faction extremely unlikable, to the point where siding with them should probably make you question yourself if you aren't doing it just to see what the content offers.

I'm replaying for the second time and it's been fun going the route of independent Vegas while balancing the NCR and staying neutral to the Legion so far. Now if I can ever find my way home from Mount Zion...

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The NCR is an imperialist, hyper capitalist state that is doing all the same things that led to the old world destroying itself. It only looks good compared to the slavers with literal rape camps and the Mojave would be much better off without them.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Also the only good endings they get are when you, a third party, decide to diplomatically solve all their problems for them.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

I like House because he is the only one with an eye to the future, and a plan to drag humanity kicking and screaming to progress.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
Except his plan for the future is going to be some weird Bioshock Vegas nonsense.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Honestly, New Vegas is right up there with Shin Megami Tensei on how easy it is to justify the "all of you are loving idiots, I'll just do it myself" ending.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

PMush Perfect posted:

Honestly, New Vegas is right up there with Shin Megami Tensei on how easy it is to justify the "all of you are loving idiots, I'll just do it myself" ending.

which make SMTIV's attempt to hammer picking neutral to be 'cowardice of indecision' really loving annoying, as that's the game where both law and chaos made the worst case for themselves.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 8, 2018

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Wait thread is a 6? I thought 5 was coming out for the switch.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

which make SMTVI's attempt to hammer picking neutral to be 'cowardice of indecision' really loving annoying, as that's the game where both law and chaos made the worst case for themselves.

You mean 4, right? I don't remember that being hammered as cowardice/indecision considering when you follow the path Burroughs is all Hell Yes, Lets Do This and you spend the bulk of the route uniting the hearts of Japan. as well as seeing the bad end sides meant to represent eventual end points for law & Chaos, whose endings felt to me like more neutralizing (chaos needs compassion and junk, law sometimes you need to go "gently caress god")
like i guess lucifer, merkabah and the white throw a fit but who cares about them

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yea got my numerals switched, I just a lot of salt in how the plot unfolds, but that's neither here nor there.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

This is Deus Ex for me.

Help this group of jerks, help this other group of jerks, or merge with a sentient AI and control the entire world's infrastructure as its new god.

Gee I wonder which choice I should make :colbert:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I took too long to notice this topic
I am only at the first chapter and I already feel trapped between forced comedy and OW THE EDGE

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

DeafNote posted:

I took too long to notice this topic
I am only at the first chapter and I already feel trapped between forced comedy and OW THE EDGE

it only gets worse man. a whole game of this crap, so much that the thread keeps trying to discuss literally anything else

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

It's still ridiculous to me there's another 15-16 gyms worth of content to go in the game (I forget where it goes to in the current patch)

The other attempt at this was detailing *all* the dialog and imagining all that per gym area is just exhausting.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

rannum posted:

The other attempt at this was detailing *all* the dialog and imagining all that per gym area is just exhausting.

I am dismayed that I cannot possibly put as much effort or detail into the game as Bydoless, but I can't help but think that's why the LP ended when it did. I have to take this as casually and low-effort as I do or I'll perish.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

if you want to stop playing this game i really dont think i could hold it against you

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Radio Free Kobold posted:

if you want to stop playing this game i really dont think i could hold it against you

I'm at the end of episode 17. I've past tense played the game. Being mad at it just made me punch through it harder.

It's trying to break this poo poo down for you the viewing audience that's the hard part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

EclecticTastes posted:

I disagree, House was a despot stuck in the past, and while the NCR may be authority figures, they don't come preaching easy solutions and a hard return to order like the Enclave, and they look forward, not backward, so I'd see them as an equal option to the Independent ending, which is the best ending (New Vegas is free of outside influence and prosperous*, with minimal loss of life, if you upgraded the Securitrons).

*Assuming you did all the relevant sidequests right.

The NCR is literally an attempt at rebuilding the US government and I'm not sure how that isn't "reclaiming the past," and the three non-Legion paths are pretty clearly presented as roughly equal, even if House is clearly the correct option.