Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

bartolimu posted:

Short notice, but hey SoCal guys, what super-new places should I be checking out? Special interest: Temecula, North Park, San Marcos/Vista, and Anaheim. Planned stops are Refuge, Fall, Burgeon, Mother Earth, Lost Abbey, Twisted Horn Meadery, Noble Ale Works. I'd like to hit Green Cheek but they're dark on Mondays, so any places that pour or (ideally) sell crowlers of their stuff would be welcome suggestions.

I'm leaving tomorrow morning, doing Hessfest and Stone Sourfest and all of the above. PM me today if you want to grab a beer - I don't forum on my phone.

Only "newish" place I know of and actively visit is Homage in Pomona; they're making fantastic sour beers but they've been around for 2 years, having just celebrated their anniversary a couple of weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

bartolimu posted:

Short notice, but hey SoCal guys, what super-new places should I be checking out? Special interest: Temecula, North Park, San Marcos/Vista, and Anaheim. Planned stops are Refuge, Fall, Burgeon, Mother Earth, Lost Abbey, Twisted Horn Meadery, Noble Ale Works. I'd like to hit Green Cheek but they're dark on Mondays, so any places that pour or (ideally) sell crowlers of their stuff would be welcome suggestions.

I'm leaving tomorrow morning, doing Hessfest and Stone Sourfest and all of the above. PM me today if you want to grab a beer - I don't forum on my phone.

IMO Refuge and Mother Earth are skippable.

Super new stuff nothing jumps out, guys like Pure Project are solid and newer but a bit off your path. If I'm in SD I stick to 30th St for the most part since it's the most bang for your buck.

My Anaheim phone a friend says Asylum and Unsung are good visits.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

air- posted:

2018 3 Way IPA is Fort George.. Holy Mountain, and Modern Times? :stwoon:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjf8cHJFsEL/

Drinking some canned 3 Way right now and it's not good, IMO. I get chewable aspirin and raw, unpleasant vegetal hop bitterness straight away. The odd thing is that there are some decent juicy hop flavors happening once that initial wave of awfulness subsides. This pretty much encapsulates everything that is wrong with the NEIPA/Hazy IPA style for me. Last year's 3 Way with Great Notion wasn't my jam, but at least it wasn't terrible.

I had high hopes for this beer since I like Ft George's Fields of Green and I enjoy Modern Times IPAs, especially the stuff that straddles the line between NEIPA and more traditional IPAs.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

consensual poster posted:

Drinking some canned 3 Way right now and it's not good, IMO. I get chewable aspirin and raw, unpleasant vegetal hop bitterness straight away. The odd thing is that there are some decent juicy hop flavors happening once that initial wave of awfulness subsides. This pretty much encapsulates everything that is wrong with the NEIPA/Hazy IPA style for me. Last year's 3 Way with Great Notion wasn't my jam, but at least it wasn't terrible.

I had high hopes for this beer since I like Ft George's Fields of Green and I enjoy Modern Times IPAs, especially the stuff that straddles the line between NEIPA and more traditional IPAs.

This concerns me, I'm in OR next week so I'll be taste testing for myself

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

consensual poster posted:

In my experience (commercial beers and my own homebrew) this is what settles out in like a week or two with massively dry-hopped beers.

It could also just be bad :P

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I get those flavors a lot. Locally, Bare Hands' offerings are notorious for it, some people either don't taste it or don't care. They settle out just in time for the flavors to start fading, but there's a sweet spot of drinkability if you're lucky.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I made a New England Pale Ale knowing that I don't have the ability to keep oxygen to a minimum or keg, and the beer was wonderful for about 4 days, but now it is a murky brown mess. :(

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Biomute posted:

I made a New England Pale Ale knowing that I don't have the ability to keep oxygen to a minimum or keg, and the beer was wonderful for about 4 days, but now it is a murky brown mess. :(

Top up your vessel with carbonated water. It'll dilute the beer marginally, but that CO2 will offgas and blanket the headspace.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

You really don't need to reiterate how much better things would have been if she'd won.

all beers under the Hillary Regime would have to be poured like this

a reality only libtards would want

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

ChiTownEddie posted:

this is what settles out in like a week or two with massively dry-hopped beers.

That might be what this needs, last year's was much better after three weeks or so.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I like how we've evolved from "must drink before..." to "must drink between these specific times..."

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

danbanana posted:

I like how we've evolved from "must drink before..." to "must drink between these specific times..."

"We're going to release this beer when it's still green. Hopefully you either don't notice that or you hold it just long enough to enjoy it during it's tiny window of quality, but not so long that it becomes an oxidized mess." Hazy IPA in 2018.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
New Glarus' Mistral is stupid loving good.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

nah posted:

all beers under the Hillary Regime would have to be poured like this

a reality only libtards would want

Hillary gots those czech pours figured out.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Also very good is Suarez Fine Line Kolsch. Thanks, Jorge Von Bacon!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Just found out that Bells is finally going to start distributing to Massachusetts!

Anyone have the scoop on when it will be available? I’m glad I don’t have to fill my suitcase with Two Hearted every time I go to Arizona on vacation.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
For the Chicago folk...
Man I am getting nostalgic about Quenchers closing next Saturday. My dad used to tell stories about how when I said I was moving to Bucktown 9 years ago he was worried because he had spent a bunch of time at Quenchers in the 80s and that was his impression of the area. Also it was the spot where I got him his first malort shot (Chicago Handshake anyone?) hahaha. Honestly I might do a big drunk write up on the place next week just to vent.

Anyway I was there tonight and had a √225 while people watching. We're definitely losing one of Chicago's best bars. Also √225 is a delicious beer.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChiTownEddie posted:

For the Chicago folk...
Man I am getting nostalgic about Quenchers closing next Saturday. My dad used to tell stories about how when I said I was moving to Bucktown 9 years ago he was worried because he had spent a bunch of time at Quenchers in the 80s and that was his impression of the area. Also it was the spot where I got him his first malort shot (Chicago Handshake anyone?) hahaha. Honestly I might do a big drunk write up on the place next week just to vent.

Anyway I was there tonight and had a √225 while people watching. We're definitely losing one of Chicago's best bars. Also √225 is a delicious beer.

Whoa. Really?

I've only been a few times. The last time was maybe 4 or 5 years ago when they had Cantillon Classic bottles randomly there. But they started booking punk shows there a couple years ago, even though there's a perfectly good bowling alley just down the street...

Any idea why?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I believe a big part of is that the owner has been running it for 39 years and is in his 70s. He tried to sell it as a bar/beer garden for quite a while but no one bit or offered what he wanted. So he sold it to become a doctors office.

E: Think about that though, running a craft beer bar for that long. Admittedly it was like an import/belgian type of place with a dive ambiance for the first 20+ years...but still.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChiTownEddie posted:

I believe a big part of is that the owner has been running it for 39 years and is in his 70s. He tried to sell it as a bar/beer garden for quite a while but no one bit or offered what he wanted. So he sold it to become a doctors office.

E: Think about that though, running a craft beer bar for that long. Admittedly it was like an import/belgian type of place with a dive ambiance for the first 20+ years...but still.

It's weird because even getting into this stuff like 15 years ago, Quenchers wasn't on the level of Maproom, Clark St, or Hopleaf. Probably because yeah, it was a dive bar. And we had our own dive bars. If we wanted good beer, we went to "nice" places.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Summer is just so brutal on the wallet eh :homebrew:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjn4yEZBcvs

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010

danbanana posted:

Also very good is Suarez Fine Line Kolsch. Thanks, Jorge Von Bacon!

Glad you enjoy it!

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
someone send me a case of palatine pils or qualify pils please thats all i feel like drinking

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nwin posted:

Just found out that Bells is finally going to start distributing to Massachusetts!

Anyone have the scoop on when it will be available? I’m glad I don’t have to fill my suitcase with Two Hearted every time I go to Arizona on vacation.

If anyone's interested, I called the Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont and they told me they will start selling Bells this Monday. I'm sure they will overcharge for it, but I'll probably get a six pack and then look for more normal distribution. I'm hoping within a month some of the local stores start carrying it.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Speaking of getting Michigan beer on the east coast, Old Nation is now, inexplicably, distributing their excellent M-43 IPA in Atlanta about once a month or so. Exactly often enough to satisfy my occasional haze craving. Canned exactly one week ago too. Hell yes.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I'll be happy to get it at Kappys or Blanchards or Wegmans, what have you down the road. There's too much good local beer to care about the latest expansion of a beloved brewery that falls under the weight of the size of its distribution pattern (cough cough green flash, smuttynose, toppling goliath etc etc)

like the new Mystic Everywhere was Lizards

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Jorge Von Bacon also extra'd me a port BA'd 5beans that I am enjoying immensely right now. Vinous nose, fruity coffee flavor, nice creamy mouthfeel. I haven't had a Sixpoint beer in probably 5 or 6 years but this is top loving notch.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

someone send me a case of palatine pils or qualify pils please thats all i feel like drinking

Feeling the same now that I've tried Suarez beers, which also has me feeling especially grateful to have both ABGBs variety of pilsners and St. Elmo Carl easily available nearby.

And if anyone wants crowlers of that stuff, I'm happy to send for cost/shipping...

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

air- posted:

Summer is just so brutal on the wallet eh :homebrew:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjn4yEZBcvs

Nothing says summer like slamming a seven-year vertical of barleywine to beat the heat.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

Feeling the same now that I've tried Suarez beers

Drinking Local Boy now. Very good wild ale with a nice brett funk and fruitiness and just enough tartness to convince you to take another immediate sip.

So they're batting 1.000 as far as I'm concerned.

That said: I don't think either of these beers are significantly better than stuff that local places are doing. I think the best thing about the kolsch for me was that it's a style that my local lager brewery hasn't done yet. We're really in a Golden Age of good beer right now, where nearly every region is going to have stuff at this level available. It makes it fun to trade locals again but completely unnecessary to hunt for whatever hype poo poo is out there.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Drinking some Chimay red label. I'm not feeling it as much as the blue. It tastes like the alcohol content and carbonation do too much to cover up the flavors. I still like it, but I'll pick blue label any day.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Hi beerthread! I was just hired as a beer consultant at a relatively large liquor store. I'm curious to know what you all like about wherever it is you buy your beer. I'm mainly going to focus on customer service: recommending beers and stuff. I'm knowledgeable enough in beer but don't have a ton of retail/customer service experience.

If you have any thoughts I would greatly appreciate hearing them! Beer is a passion of mine so I'd like to have some success in this position and hearing from folks seems like it would be a good start. Thanks!

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

apophenium posted:

Hi beerthread! I was just hired as a beer consultant at a relatively large liquor store. I'm curious to know what you all like about wherever it is you buy your beer. I'm mainly going to focus on customer service: recommending beers and stuff. I'm knowledgeable enough in beer but don't have a ton of retail/customer service experience.

If you have any thoughts I would greatly appreciate hearing them! Beer is a passion of mine so I'd like to have some success in this position and hearing from folks seems like it would be a good start. Thanks!

When does the truck with Abraxus arrive and can you hold me a bottle of PVW 23?

Thanks.

Edit: Actual serious answer - selection. Most people in this thread are probably savvy enough that they don't need to ask an employee's opinion so it just boils down to "do you have what I want?"

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

apophenium posted:

Have a new arrivals section. I love it when I don't have to look through every shelf in the store to find things I haven't had yet.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Freshness. Bottling/canning dates on your inventory, especially ipas.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Always ask women "is this for your husband?" when they have questions.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

apophenium posted:

Variety is important. There's a local bar that I don't drink at much because they've fallen hard for the IPA obsession and almost everything they sell is hopped to the max, which I can't stand. Get a spread of lagers, stouts/porters, IPAs, amber & brown ales, sour ales, and Belgian styles like dubbels, tripels, and quads.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

apophenium posted:

we're getting a commission, right?

if your main beer customers are craft/microbrewery fans, you're probably gonna sell more IPA than anything else. keep as much IPA in a cold case as humanly possible and pay close attention to bottled/canned-on dates and rotate stock. depending on how things work with your suppliers, get them to take stuff back and/or trim your selection to what sells. if you don't have cold cases, the latter is vitally important- if i go into a place with the intent of buying beer, i'm getting something so long as it's obvious that the shop knows how to handle their stock.

i can't coach you on customer interaction, but i can tell you that beernerds are loving know-it-alls, so don't try to snow some shitlord neckbeard when he asks how X beer you're selling stacks up to Y whale of the week- just say that Y sounds like an awesome beer for cool guys. for everyone else, be familiar with the benchmarks for the various styles (Saison du Pont, Pliny the Elder, et al), local classics (the brown or amber ale the oldest craft brewery in town makes) and the mass-market/grocery store brands (Blue Moon, Stella, DFH 90 Minute) so you can guide your customers in the right direction. this leads to the most important- and maybe obvious- point, which is know your inventory. when someone says, "what do you have that's like Shock Top?" you don't want to be all, "um, have you had Ho Garden? i think that might be kinda like what you want," you wanna be all, "Hoo-garden is pretty much ground zero for the style- it's light, refreshing, and has blah blah blah, i crush these at barbecues/bar mitzvahs/funerals" as you're literally handing them a six-pack. confidence in and knowledge of your product are huge, so make sure you drink what you sell (and if you wanna go the extra mile, download the BJCP style guide and read along as you drink beers from every category ((which will probably take a while)))

edit- never mind, just go with this VVV

Spanish Manlove posted:

Always ask women "is this for your husband?" when they have questions.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Don’t hide beer in the back. Put everything on shelves. I shouldn’t need to ask for secret beer every time I go into a store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

very stable genius posted:

Don’t hide beer in the back. Put everything on shelves. I shouldn’t need to ask for secret beer every time I go into a store.

He's half-right: put the sixers of Mad Elf behind the counter but in plain sight then tell anyone who asks about it that only regulars get to buy it.