Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

How rare are those now? Back in 2006 a pulse and a 180 PT score got your college paid for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

How rare are those now? Back in 2006 a pulse and a 180 PT score got your college paid for.

I think that'll do it for the CUNY system. The fordham rotc guys, I dunno.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Viva Miriya posted:

That's a pretty strong showing for the Columbia admissions folks right? I think this poo poo might work out.
Yeah, you’re good. Write a good essay and you should be a lock.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Deathy McDeath posted:

Did that already. Admissions committee just wanted to see my final grades before they decided on me. Feeling alot better about it now. Thanks man.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

My professor can't pronounce poo poo and it's diving me crazy. Some stuff I can kind of get, like pronouncing phagocyte rhyming with drag instead of page. However she keeps pronouncing subsequent as sub-SEE-quent. :psyduck:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Just left a review for a class in which the professor disappeared week 7 with no explanation and we couldn't get an answer for why or how long he would be gone. Made sure to tell them that every aspect, methods, communication, etc, were poo poo, and their outcome was loving garbage. In those words.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

lightpole posted:

Just left a review for a class in which the professor disappeared week 7 with no explanation and we couldn't get an answer for why or how long he would be gone. Made sure to tell them that every aspect, methods, communication, etc, were poo poo, and their outcome was loving garbage. In those words.

Bravo. gently caress em.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Deathy McDeath posted:

Got the last grade in, A- so I'm pretty excited.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

IM IN MOTHERFUCKERS

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Viva Miriya posted:

IM IN MOTHERFUCKERS

:siren: :toot: :siren:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Noice.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Viva Miriya posted:

IM IN MOTHERFUCKERS

EASY MONEY

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Sweet! Congrats

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Deathy McDeath, the Columbia MilVets let me know that GS has a program with SIPA. tl;dr its a Bachelors/Masters program that gets you that poo poo in 5 years. I have 2 years done already transferring in so I'm hoping to walk out with a Master's in International Affairs at minimum in 3 years. I'm sure there are other variations of the Master's degree from that school but definitely something related to International Relations and poo poo. What the gently caress do I do with such a thing besides throw my resume at government agencies and poo poo?

Seriously, now that this is real, I have to stop talking about "yeah totes gonna get a Master's degree nbd nbd" and actually quantify what the gently caress that does for me. So where should I start looking to find some answers? Besides some triple letter agencies career page obv.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Work for a senator or congressman. Work in the executive. Work for an agency. Work for a four letter think tank. Consult overseas. Flip burgers.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Viva Miriya posted:

Deathy McDeath, the Columbia MilVets let me know that GS has a program with SIPA. tl;dr its a Bachelors/Masters program that gets you that poo poo in 5 years. I have 2 years done already transferring in so I'm hoping to walk out with a Master's in International Affairs at minimum in 3 years. I'm sure there are other variations of the Master's degree from that school but definitely something related to International Relations and poo poo. What the gently caress do I do with such a thing besides throw my resume at government agencies and poo poo?

Seriously, now that this is real, I have to stop talking about "yeah totes gonna get a Master's degree nbd nbd" and actually quantify what the gently caress that does for me. So where should I start looking to find some answers? Besides some triple letter agencies career page obv.

Masters subjects and classes should be more at the theoretical edge of subject knowledge with greater room to explore topics instead of focusing on foundations. Figure out questions/areas of the subject that are relevant and interesting and move in that direction. Stay open to new ideas and putting in the work to get the most out of it.

Congrats!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

M_Gargantua posted:

Work for a senator or congressman. Work in the executive. Work for an agency. Work for a four letter think tank. Consult overseas. Flip burgers.

Don't go to law school.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

lightpole posted:

Masters subjects and classes should be more at the theoretical edge of subject knowledge with greater room to explore topics instead of focusing on foundations. Figure out questions/areas of the subject that are relevant and interesting and move in that direction. Stay open to new ideas and putting in the work to get the most out of it.

Congrats!

Gotcha. There are definitely some topics I studied in undergrad so far that have piqued my interest enough to nerd out about them. I'll see what I can do with that interest and ride it out.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Don't go to law school.

I rather actually become Fidel Cashflow irl, enlist army fueler, go to fort Polk with a pregnant stripper girlfriend I met last month, and in general make all the shitposts I made in the army thread real af prior to killing myself. gently caress being a lawyer.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Viva Miriya posted:

I rather actually become Fidel Cashflow irl, enlist army fueler, go to fort Polk with a pregnant stripper girlfriend I met last month, and in general make all the shitposts I made in the army thread real af prior to killing myself. gently caress being a lawyer.

Good call.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If your chosen career field requires a masters to be comfortable, get one now. A bunch of people in my cohort are taking night classes because they need masters to get promoted. Don't look at entry level, think 2-3 steps down the line.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Vasudus posted:

If your chosen career field requires a masters to be comfortable, get one now. A bunch of people in my cohort are taking night classes because they need masters to get promoted. Don't look at entry level, think 2-3 steps down the line.

That's half of why I wanted to get a Master's: to have one on the books for some sort of government agency work. I just wanted to make sure I had my reasons more strongly thought out than that.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
That's largely the main reason TO get a masters. If you wanted to be a subject matter expert you would go for a PhD program.

The government loves to throw arbitrary education requirements on to positions, both civilian and especially contracts. It doesn't matter how effective a MS, they want one so they get someone with one.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Vasudus posted:

That's largely the main reason TO get a masters. If you wanted to be a subject matter expert you would go for a PhD program.

The government loves to throw arbitrary education requirements on to positions, both civilian and especially contracts. It doesn't matter how effective a MS, they want one so they get someone with one.

gently caress it then, I'm good to go if that MA says Columbia on it.

E: probably would be wise to get internships while I'm there. Networking and such.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 29, 2018

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The whole point of going to an Ivy is the name and the networking. You're not there for the quality of the education; while there's plenty of A+++ professors of course there's not a special way to teach calculus that the filthy poors have to use instead.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Vasudus posted:

The whole point of going to an Ivy is the name and the networking. You're not there for the quality of the education; while there's plenty of A+++ professors of course there's not a special way to teach calculus that the filthy poors have to use instead.

The poors have to do it without a macbook pro daddy bought them.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

If you need your macbook or a calculator for Calc I & II you probably shouldn't be taking those classes

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

If you need your macbook or a calculator for Calc I & II you probably shouldn't be taking those classes

What is the pissagoryan theory for 5,000?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The veteran education office at my school just emailed me saying they're adjusting the amount of FAFSA/WAFSA grant money I'll be receiving this year because of my Chapter 31 benefits. I thought I was entitled to the full amount of FAFSA because my veteran education benefits are a tax-free entitlement. Am I misunderstanding something here?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

The veteran education office at my school just emailed me saying they're adjusting the amount of FAFSA/WAFSA grant money I'll be receiving this year because of my Chapter 31 benefits. I thought I was entitled to the full amount of FAFSA because my veteran education benefits are a tax-free entitlement. Am I misunderstanding something here?

They’re reducing grants you might get because you already have a full scholarship. It’s not because of your bah payments.

Not meaning that’s correct of them to do, but that’s why.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Federal Grants and Loans should be the same through FAFSA. They shouldn’t be able to take those away at all. If instead they’re taking away a university grant then that’s entirely their choice to be dicks.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah it's a university grant apparently. gently caress this.

Edit: I just noticed I'm not being offered the Pell Grant at all, which seems odd to me.

UP THE BUM NO BABY fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 7, 2018

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

That is weird

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Viva Miriya posted:

Can't really help you because the only guys I know who did this went to government agencies. That said, SIPA is less on the "theoretical" side of international affairs and more on the "practicioner" side.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Deathy McDeath posted:

Can't really help you because the only guys I know who did this went to government agencies. That said, SIPA is less on the "theoretical" side of international affairs and more on the "practicioner" side.

gently caress yeah then.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Viva Miriya posted:

I just met with the student veteran financial aid guy at Columbia GS. Columbia GS has a different pool of money than Columbia College, which is where the normal undergrads go. Good news is that with a Vocational Rehab benefit courtesy of the VA, I can probably get my entire tuition paid for while I get a Master's. The bad news is I don't currently have that set up. Federal Loans, Pell, and whatever scholarships I get from GS will cover a good chunk but I'll be coming out of pocket to make up the difference at least this semester until that kicks in. I got told to expect to pay 29k a semester for 15 credits. Minus the11k I expect to get from grants/internal financial aid/fed loans: that leaves me with18k to get before October to register on time for Spring 2019. TIME TO BECOME AN ESSAY WRITING MILL. I've identified the following scholarships that would probably work for me.

SVA Scholarships whenever they are available. It looks like I missed the application period on them but I could probably email these guys and see what they have coming down the pipe next.
SVA 12k Scholarship
SVA 10k Scholarship
Another SVA 10k Scholarship
Another SVA 10k Scholarship
Pat Tillman Scholarship
VFW scholarship I'm not sure I qualify for because I have a general discharge, not a full honorable.
Donaldson D. Frizzell Scholarship. Looks like up to 30k for non-contracted ROTC nerds.
AFIO scholarships for people who are really into intelligence work.

And then there's whatever random scholarships I can dig up on fastweb for a grand here and there. Is there anything else I could be missing out on? I think I covered a good chunk of stuff on my first pass. I'll look some more this weekend but if anyone knows off the top of their head some obvious big money scholarships I might have missed (besides Boren) let me know.

Crossposting from the Student Loans thread.

tl;dr it looks like my best bet is to go for the Pat Tillman, this Frizzell Scholarship, the AFIO stuff, and basically any SVA scholarship that comes up. And whatever random scholarships I find on fastweb because apparently that's the website to look for random af scholarships.

Am I missing anything big?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Sports cuts gave me 5k recently.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Soulex posted:

Sports cuts gave me 5k recently.

I got a general discharge atm. Waiting on the Naval Discharge Review Board to get back to me later this year (at the earliest) with a hearing date to go put on a suit in D.C. Hopefully (most likely) it gets upgraded and I can get some GI bill again+qualify for all those scholarships that require the full honorable.

That said, since i have nothing to lose, I'm guessing I should apply anyway and just explain that away in the Essay right? What are they gonna do, tell me no?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Halfway done. Hopefully get at least 2 more As this quarter.

I actually really enjoyed my MBA classmates, they were mostly 22-24 but were all pretty awesome people and generally not too terrible. Kinda sucks since I won't have many business classes next year so probably won't bond with them as much.

Edit: How do I explore a topic if I don't have faculty that really focus on it? Everyone is tangential and I really need a little structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

That’s a good question I’d love to know the answer to also. I mean yeah I could google it and find sources to read, but it feels like there’s a piece of the learning process that’s missing