Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

The gameplay is actually better a lot of the time since the game's don't hold your hand.

They still make games like that today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
devs ahould release the tools they made to make the game to people who buy it for free so i can play mods for 5 years like when i bought half life 1

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

If there's one thing old lovely games have got going for them, it's that you can go from wanting to play it to actually playing it in a few seconds.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

The joy con grip is fine.

Yeah it's actually really good. I find it oddly enjoyable/comfortable to use. Except it kind of tweaks my pointer fingers to hit the wrong triggers once in a while and really exacerbates how hard it is to use the Joycon sticks for anything that needs accuracy. I still like it and it's great for games that are pretty chill.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Travv0 posted:

They still make games like that today.

They do which is why the indie scene is a blessing. But it is rare for them to match the greats of classic developers such as say Treasure or old Sega.

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

But it is rare for them to match the greats of classic developers such as say Treasure or old Sega.

I wholeheartedly disagree, but I doubt we'll change each other's minds on that.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Kids literally play garbage on Roblox for hours so I don't think all old games are too bad.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

a bone to pick posted:

YOU ARE A RETARD IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH MY VIDEOGAME OPINION

It’s not polite to explicitly call out someone’s gimmick like that. Steinrokkan has a family to feed.

I would assume. I mean, otherwise that’s a lot of frozen pizza for one man.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

fruit on the bottom posted:

It’s not polite to explicitly call out someone’s gimmick like that. Steinrokkan has a family to feed.

Do huge, heaping piles of bullshit and jars full of smug have enough nutritional value to feed a family?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

veni veni veni posted:

Do huge, heaping piles of bullshit and jars full of smug have enough nutritional value to feed a family?

But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by smug alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of video game journalists and their corresponding ethics.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
OoT was the Star Wars prequels of games. It sucked back in the 90s, its sucks now. Nobody had the heart to admit it. BoTW is the last fun Zelda but it isn't good or satisfying. Just mindless fun.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

DebonaireD posted:

If there's one thing old lovely games have got going for them, it's that you can go from wanting to play it to actually playing it in a few seconds.

I'm at a point in my life where if it takes more than about 5 minutes to start enjoying a game, I usually don't spend much time with it.

temple posted:

OoT was the Star Wars prequels of games. It sucked back in the 90s, its sucks now. Nobody had the heart to admit it. BoTW is the last fun Zelda but it isn't good or satisfying. Just mindless fun.

I agree with this good but deeply unpopular opinion. I have never understood why people would ever take OoT over Majora.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Some goons are brimming with mercy. We've had infamous staunch defenders of games like No Man's Sky or Sea of Thieves lol. Just people screaming into the wind that criticism is trolling.

They aren't typical though.

What went wrong with Sea of Thieves? I haven't followed it closely but it seemed like it was going to be a BIG THING and everyone was excited for it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Majora's mask was better than OoT

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

What went wrong with Sea of Thieves? I haven't followed it closely but it seemed like it was going to be a BIG THING and everyone was excited for it.

You can do/see everything the game has to offer in like 2 hrs iirc

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

TheScott2K posted:

The joy con grip is fine.

I can’t use the joy cons. I had to buy a pro controller.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

It is a big thing. A big, mostly empty, kind of uninteresting thing. It's a lot of game with very little to do, at least right now.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I haven't really paid any attention to Sea Of Thieves but it seems, as with No Man's Sky before it, the answer to "what went wrong" is "the game came out"

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

There is not a single good point and click adventure game.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

IDONTPOST posted:

How appropriate, you post like a cow.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

IDONTPOST posted:

I raise you Space Quest 4

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

If you enjoy point and clicks you’re probably an old standing on deaths doorway.

The extreme sports era of games owned and we need more of those.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I hope not, I’m not even 30 yet!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm late to the nostalgia gaming chat, but I first played Super Metroid on an emulator, as an adult, in maybe around 2010? It was fabulous and stood up amazingly and totally sold me on the metroidvania genre which now has a lot of indie games on steam. Sturgeon's law holds up quite strong however, and 90% of everything released back then was total crap, much like today, and a few of the golden oldies simply have aged poorly. But some are still great.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Video games are always going to be underwhelming compared to their potential because big studios don't want to pay for and allocate time for quality writing when the gaming community is continuing to gobble up rinse and repeat MMOs/hybrid MMOs/battle royales. Literally every "good" game could and would have been even better but the gaming consumer base is too childish and impatient to demand quality products.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I disagree that there are no good point & clicks, but that opinion isn't really that unpopular, I think.

Serephina posted:

I'm late to the nostalgia gaming chat, but I first played Super Metroid on an emulator, as an adult, in maybe around 2010? It was fabulous and stood up amazingly and totally sold me on the metroidvania genre which now has a lot of indie games on steam. Sturgeon's law holds up quite strong however, and 90% of everything released back then was total crap, much like today, and a few of the golden oldies simply have aged poorly. But some are still great.

A friend of mine never really played video games prior to the PS3 era, and has never really touched much in the way of reissues or what have you. I genuinely want to put him in front of an emulator and see what classic SNES games he can actually get into and how many are propped up mostly on nostalgia. He did try some games when I had an emulator set up at a party, but honestly I think he was just rolling through SNES games alphabetically until he landed on one that grabbed him, which happened to be Actraiser.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

13Pandora13 posted:

Video games are always going to be underwhelming compared to their potential because big studios don't want to pay for and allocate time for quality writing when the gaming community is continuing to gobble up rinse and repeat MMOs/hybrid MMOs/battle royales. Literally every "good" game could and would have been even better but the gaming consumer base is too childish and impatient to demand quality products.

Could have the best story ever but I ain't care if it doesn't play good-like

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

ChazTurbo posted:

Could have the best story ever but I ain't care if it doesn't play good-like

Would you believe me if I told you...you can have both (with longer development times and investment in talent across the board)?

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

13Pandora13 posted:

I wouldn’t care if most video games (outside of walking simulators) had no story whatsoever.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I like games that are either very narrative-driven or have none at all, death to any weak shoe-horned stories in action games

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

I like games that are either very narrative-driven or have none at all, death to any weak shoe-horned stories in action games

:same:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I will, however, accept RPGs as an option, so I can watch numbers go up while I play my barely-more-than-a-visual-novel game

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

MockingQuantum posted:

games as art gets thrown around pretty fuckin' freely, in my opinion, but river city without the ransom... I don't even think you know what art is, dude.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

jfood posted:

games as art gets thrown around pretty fuckin' freely, in my opinion, but river city without the ransom... I don't even think you know what art is, dude.

Fair. I just don't like it when studios pad mediocre games with a crappy story or a bunch of nonsense VO/narration because they don't realize you can also tell a compelling story with just action and gameplay.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Curse of Monkey Island is the best one.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I just got Chronotrigger on my phone and I don't get this anime poo poo at all. This is the best game of all time?

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
yeah when you rescue marle thats the end. its pretty short

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

DebonaireD posted:

Curse of Monkey Island is the best one.

You know, I can respect this one. It’s definitely a different direction from the previous two but it’s got the pirate song and the voice acting really kicked it up a notch.

Bitter fly
Sep 25, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Star Ocean 2 is the best RPG ever made

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Body Harvest for the N64 loving ruled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Dandywalken posted: