Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

quote:

We did not get bored for six years to organise the World Cup to not do some little shenanigans.

"we did not get bored"? nice google translation dailymail

i know its a nitpick but it bothers me (and not bore me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

MrBling posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/16/uefa-gianni-infantino-club-world-cup

£25bn from unnamed investors doesn't sound like massive corruption and money laundering at all, but rather the true and unfettered spirit of football.

Sooooo oil sheiks / literal slave drivers, Chinese money launderers, Russian oligarchs or a combination of all three?

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Makes me nostalgic for narco soccer

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this is a shock

https://twitter.com/david_conn/status/998942983767707648

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Wow. They are corrupt as gently caress, but at least they are ballsy about it.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Meanwhile Guerrero will not be allowed to attend, despite an appeal from FIFPRO and the captains of the other three teams in Peru's group.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
They should have appealed quietly. The moment that information went public, the ban was set in stone.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
gently caress fifa

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fifa-fine-england-16k-after-12642847

quote:

The FA are fuming with FIFA after being fined £16,000 for a young England player drinking a non-sponsored energy drink.

A row is brewing with FA chiefs “very unhappy” and chairman Greg Clarke set to complain directly to world football’s governing body over the bizarre punishment.

The fine is only £6,000 less than Russia's £22,000 fine last month for their fans’ racial abuse of France’s black players during a friendly in March.

It has once again raised fears that FIFA do not take racism seriously with the World Cup just over a week away.

The non-sponsored drink at the centre of the England controversy was a can of Red Bull.

A shot of the energy drink was spotted in the Three Lions dug-out during the Under-20 World Cup Finals in Korea last year.

FIFA’s official energy drink is Powerade via their partnership with Coca Cola.

England were charged during the tournament and fined afterwards.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
that's one costly drink

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
disqualify England imo

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Powerade doesn't have caffeine in it, so it shouldn't be allowed to be called an energy drink imo

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

Powerade doesn't have caffeine in it, so it shouldn't be allowed to be called an energy drink imo

It has ~*electrolytes*~

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Shrapnig posted:

It has ~*electrolytes*~

its a recovery drink not an energy drink then ffs

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bogan Krkic posted:

its a recovery drink not an energy drink then ffs

Historically "energy drink" has meant something with glucose in it I thought? They certainly existed like lucozade and lucozade sport before caffeine got chucked into everything.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

Bogan Krkic posted:

caffeine doesn't provide energy you retarded bogan

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Manc Hill posted:

caffeine doesn't provide energy you retarded bogan

It pumps blood faster hth

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVyFSA1DCTg

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

The first line of the Energy Drink article on Wikipedia backs me up, and Wikipedia is never wrong:
An energy drink is a type of beverage containing stimulant drugs, usually including caffeine, which is marketed as providing mental and physical stimulation (marketed as "energy", but distinct from food energy).

I've never heard Lucozade or Powerade or Gatorade advertised as energy drinks.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

The first line of the Energy Drink article on Wikipedia backs me up, and Wikipedia is never wrong:
An energy drink is a type of beverage containing stimulant drugs, usually including caffeine, which is marketed as providing mental and physical stimulation (marketed as "energy", but distinct from food energy).

The terms I've always heard are "energy drink" for stuff like Red Bull and Monster that are full of sugar and caffeine, and "sports drink" for stuff like Gatorade and Powerade that are full of sugar and salt.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

vyelkin posted:

The terms I've always heard are "energy drink" for stuff like Red Bull and Monster that are full of sugar and caffeine, and "sports drink" for stuff like Gatorade and Powerade that are full of sugar and salt.

It's this OP

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Bogan Krkic posted:

Fizzy Lucozade is definitely marketed as 'Lucozade Energy' but not the original stuff that isn't just sugar syrup w/ bubbles

This is an important distinction to make in the FIFA megathread

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i support adding a fourth banned topic to the op of this thread

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Some African refs that were scheduled to ref games at the WC have been filmed taking bribes.

Totally normal

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

CyberPingu posted:

Some African refs that were scheduled to ref games at the WC have been filmed taking bribes.

Totally normal

I know another ref from CAF that's available.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

CyberPingu posted:

Totally normal

It is though. CAF's FIFA referee shortage is worse than any other confederation.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Totally normal

Ghana is going to dissolve their FA over it.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/ghana/story/3519954/ghanaian-government-to-dissolve-football-association-after-bribery-allegations

And a Kenyan referee has withdrawn from the World Cup.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/kenya/story/3519642/kenyan-referee-resigns-from-world-cup-after-bribery-sting

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Watch FIFA suspend Ghana for government interference in football governance.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Watch FIFA suspend Ghana for government interference in football governance.

This is going to happen. Then, after some other crooked shitheads get into power at the new organization (by bribing the right people) they will have a new, better staff that hopefully doesn’t get filmed while being bribed.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

freeedr posted:

This is going to happen. Then, after some other crooked shitheads get into power at the new organization (by bribing the right people) they will have a new, better staff that hopefully doesn’t get filmed while being bribed.

They’ll get a new crop after a total shake up, who will be just off screen accepting bribes and loudly talking about the fat bribes they are accepting. Totally not on camera!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

quote:

The official, a maths and chemistry teacher at Migori County's Komotobo Secondary School, has duly forfeited his World Cup fee of at least $25,000 plus a match fee of $2,000 after FIFA confirmed that he will be taking no part in the tournament.

and now he'll get nothing

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

and now he'll get nothing

I’m the maths teacher who accepted $600 to put $27k+ in jeopardy.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

I’m the maths teacher who accepted $600 to put $27k+ in jeopardy.
Teachers in Kenya earn about $1000 per month ffs. Why would you take a $600 bribe when you stand to make double your annual salary in a month for making some bad offside calls?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Because they've been taking bribes all their life and the only difference this time was that someone was filming them.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

Teachers in Kenya earn about $1000 per month ffs. Why would you take a $600 bribe when you stand to make double your annual salary in a month for making some bad offside calls?

Only the super high end teachers earn that.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

Why choose to make $27,000 when you could make $27,600?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
It works out at odds of 1.02 (risking 27k to return 27.6k) so he'd have to have had a 98% chance of not getting caught for it to be worthwhile.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that bribes are common enough in Kenyan football that he genuinely didn't see anything wrong with taking one

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
It's hard to do anything in Kenya without a bribe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Kenya is a lot more legit than it was back in the 90s and its probably one of the more developed African countries. But its still pretty hosed.

My Dad got pulled over there by a cop when we lived out there. The cop tried to write him up for speeding and said "we can either settle this at the station or if you help me here I'll forget about it" fairly common practice in Kenya was police pulling people over for "speeding" then getting bribes from people.

The guy was shocked when my dad went "ok sure, I'll follow you to the station then". They went back and forth like that for a couple of minutes until the cop gave up and walked away.