Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TBSN going Liberal is basically entirely down to name recognition for Michael Gravelle with no consideration for the Libs being a hopeless cause in the wider provincial race. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

as mayor his brother put spending cuts and tax cuts both into the same pool of "saving the city money" and then just made up numbers anyway so lol

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
You fuckers.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
The real damage done- not only will the Liberals probably lose party status, but now they'll have to pull off a miracle and somehow install an effective leader who can inspire enough people to go Liberal in 4 years. It took the federal Libs a long loving time to assemble a strong enough leader to topple Harper, and that only happened because he belonged to the Trudeau dynasty. They went through Paul Martin, Stephane Dion, Ignatieff, and pretty much gave Harper free reign for a long loving time. The OLP won't have it any easier. Good loving luck to them.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 8, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

melon cat posted:

The real damage done- not only will the Liberals probably lose party status, but now they'll have to pull off a miracle and somehow install an effective leader who can inspire enough people to go Liberal in 4 years. It took the federal Libs a long loving time to assemble a strong enough leader to topple Harper, and that only happened because he belonged to the Trudeau dynasty.

and also harper failed his racism saving throw at the worst possible moment

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

melon cat posted:

The real damage done- not only will the Liberals probably lose party status, but now they'll have to pull off a miracle and somehow install an effective leader who can inspire enough people to go Liberal in 4 years. It took the federal Libs a long loving time to assemble a strong enough leader to topple Harper, and that only happened because he belonged to the Trudeau dynasty.
That and people were tired of Harper. Lots of conservative voters were saying “I want to vote conservative but I just can’t vote for Harper anymore”.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Yinlock posted:

don't forget that ford literally does not know how taxes work, so maybe a tax hike out of nowhere

nah no one's gonna vote for it

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

look a whole 40% of us voted, what more do you want???

Typo posted:

nah no one's gonna vote for it

that's what they said about everything rob ford did

conservatives will vote for anything at all if you're old and mad enough

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

melon cat posted:

unless they go through the same thing the UK liberal go through in the 1920s they'll only be out of power for 8-12 years

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Yinlock posted:

look a whole 40% of us voted, what more do you want???

that's what they said about everything rob ford did

conservatives will vote for anything at all if you're old and mad enough

not tax increases lol

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mr. Apollo posted:

That and people were tired of Harper. Lots of conservative voters were saying “I want to vote conservative but I just can’t vote for Harper anymore”.

You basically can't win for too many terms in a row without people wanting change, that's just how it works. After a certain number of years, you are guaranteed to not win, it's just matter of how badly you lose.

Dukemont
Aug 17, 2005
chocolate microscopes
Ontario: :downsbravo:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The writing was on the wall for Wynne, and anyone who was anti-Ford but voted for the Liberals in this election is a loving idiot.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
gently caress wynne gets it with 181 votes #recount. It's down to Scarborough and Atikokan or a miracle in superior north

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Haha my riding was up NDP all night until 78/80 polls reported and it flipped to PCs

God loving drat it

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Postess with the Mostest posted:

gently caress wynne gets it with 181 votes #recount. It's down to Scarborough and Atikokan or a miracle in superior north

They're not recovering in Atikokan.

Master of Stealth
Oct 12, 2012

Math You posted:

Haha my riding was up NDP all night until 78/80 polls reported and it flipped to PCs

God loving drat it

Yup! loving liberals

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
All I'm rooting for now is for the Libs to lose official party status because gently caress them.

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017
So people have been saying a lot of the Toronto swing to ford was a combination of new Canadians not liking the sex education policies and splitting the ballot, right now I'm confident we're not able to tell for sure, but god drat Toronto.

What happened?

re: Liberals losing party status;

Maybe Duverger's law is finally taking root in Ontario? lol

Grammar-Bolshevik fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 8, 2018

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The whole country will have ruling Conservative parties by 2022

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

vyelkin posted:

Like seriously come on, the NDP doesn't exist independent of the rest of the province and seeing politics as some kind of game where the damage Ford will do is unimportant because Team Orange did better than last time is boneheaded

Yeah, I agree. People like to paint things positively, like goodwill or party growth is something you can stockpile for four years. The reality is that people's opinions change much faster than that, and quite literally on a whim. If you enter the election hoping to make long term party growth without trying to give it your all you're really letting down could-be voters for you that year. I understand the NDP presenters/speakers/moderators whatever were trying to give that poster a feel good moment, but party growth isn't a thing (think about how the liberals have been doing nation wide the past 8 years).

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Agnosticnixie posted:

They're not recovering in Atikokan.

CBC has NDP up by 81 with one poll to go there? I need them to win that one!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Grammar-Bolshevik posted:

So people have been saying a lot of the Toronto swing to ford was a combination of new Canadians not liking the sex education policies and splitting the ballot, right now I'm confident we're not able to tell for sure, but god drat Toronto.

What happened?

years of centrist shittery made people want change, and being ontario we of course immediately fell for the most obvious con-man in the world who promised us the moon

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ayo gently caress me for trying to stay positive I guess, I’m just as bummed about ford as the rest but I’m trying to focus on what I can do rather than what acerbic one liner will be the funniest

If you’re gonna front me for that especially if you didn’t volunteer for the party then whatever

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The people in this province will remember Bob Rae until the heat death of the universe but Mike Harris who?

Also holy poo poo that turnout rate is abysmal.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Furnaceface posted:

I'm gonna bet that the rate among young voters was especially abysmally low.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Looks like Canadians learned nothing from Americans in regards to turnout.

Dukemont
Aug 17, 2005
chocolate microscopes

Furnaceface posted:

The people in this province will remember Bob Rae until the heat death of the universe but Mike Harris who?

if less than half of registered voters show up the election be nullified

this is embarrassing

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
NDP takes Atikokan, Libs can't get more than 7 seats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUlQNsl4Qvk&t=6s

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Mods can we make the word filter change Ontario to Onterrible?

I mean as dumb as that nickname is, you guys really earned it tonight

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Furnaceface posted:

Honestly I feel like the ongoing conservative effort to chip away at people's faith in the system is a bigger driver of their numbers than any kind of populist surge. They don't win by convincing more people to vote for them, they win by convincing everyone else that politics is stupid and pointless, why even bother right?

Australia has the right idea with mandatory voting. Force people to engage with the system and they'll at least TRY to give a poo poo.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MrChips posted:

Mods can we make the word filter change Ontario to Onterrible?

I mean as dumb as that nickname is, you guys really earned it tonight

:agreed:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Math You posted:

God loving drat it

Oh hey I think you're in my riding. Yeah what the gently caress, it was like a 200 vote difference until those last couple polls.

Fuuuuuck everything.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
white identity politics has been popping off for conservatives lately as well. the "free speech on campus" thing seems to have reached a lot of people. i feel like harper's "i hate muslims" play probably would have worked if he ran it in 2017 or 2018.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly I feel like the ongoing conservative effort to chip away at people's faith in the system is a bigger driver of their numbers than any kind of populist surge. They don't win by convincing more people to vote for them, they win by convincing everyone else that politics is stupid and pointless, why even bother right?

That's pretty legitimate. There's lots of arguments talking about the performative aspects of reactionary Conservative dialogue/rhetoric, it honestly probably is harmful to people who don't end up voting for them.

E:

prom candy posted:

white identity politics has been popping off for conservatives lately as well. the "free speech on campus" thing seems to have reached a lot of people. i feel like harper's "i hate muslims" play probably would have worked if he ran it in 2017 or 2018.

True, this also sounds convincing to me.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

He's going to create jobs, he's going to reign in the parasites, he's going to fix my commute and make gas cheaper. He's going to stop pedos from grooming kids and turning them trans in school. We're getting back to common sense middle class values. No more corrupt liberals, no more Rae Days, a regular fat stupid idiot just like me in office.

vyelkin posted:

im so tired of these experts in power telling me what to do and how to teach my kids, what i want is a fat stupid incompetent sack of poo poo to be my leader so ican identify with them on a personal emotional level

:discourse:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
CanPol: Tilting at Wynne Bills

That was kafka's

i'm so happy

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Man, gently caress everything.

Can't loving wait for my fuckwit libertarian 9/11-truther co-worker to gloat about this election until the end of time.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
An elder god cursed Kathleen and Andrea to clash with each other for another hundred years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Shneak posted:

An elder god cursed Kathleen and Andrea to clash with each other for another hundred years.

Isn't that just a season finale of Stargate