Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

prom candy posted:

white identity politics has been popping off for conservatives lately as well. the "free speech on campus" thing seems to have reached a lot of people. i feel like harper's "i hate muslims" play probably would have worked if he ran it in 2017 or 2018.

that wasn't the battle lines this election was fought on, the election was more or less fought on unpopularity of the incumbent liberal government and memories of the bob rae government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukemont
Aug 17, 2005
chocolate microscopes
What makes this even worse is that this PC majority is a result of a 5% increase in their share of the popular vote from the 2014 election

Hudak got 35.45%

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
44% is loving shameful jesus christ

It didn't seem to be that hard a decision? I don't understand at all.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
i'm self employed and mainly work for a US company and i'm super glad they have no idea we even had an election

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Let me be honest. With the exception of Andrea and maybe a few others the NDP lacked experienced candidates who could run a government. A lot of people felt like they’d be completely useless.

Seriously I look at some NDP candidates and think the only thing they’d do in legislature is collect a 120k salary.

All the talent joined the liberals or PCs because those were the only parties with realistic chances of being elected for the last 20 or so years.

Maybe a lot of liberals will join the NDP and fatten their ranks with experienced candidates for the next election.

Alternatively maybe the liberals will get some fresh blood running for office and stage a comeback.

Or maybe the NDPs tenure as official opposition will train them as a govt in waiting for next time.

Probably better we let ford take the fall for Wynnes mess and regroup 4 years later.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Testikles posted:

Also in fairness how do I get banned for my Toxx clause? Lowtax needs his cyber spine.

If you need help with the cost comrade, my friends help is on the way

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/danicamclellan/status/1004917226514726912?s=21

Ford: Gracious winner
Horwath: Sore loser

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How many months/days/hours will I have to wait before the OPC does something that screws over their voter base to which I can say "you fuckers voted them in, deal with it"?

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
All I learned from the US presidential election is that "when they go low, we go high" is complete bullshit.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Mystic_Shadow posted:

All I learned from the US presidential election is that "when they go low, we go high" is complete bullshit.

Yeah that's a deplorable strategy

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Kraftwerk posted:

Probably better we let ford take the fall for Wynnes mess and regroup 4 years later.

Nah, they'll just say it's the uncooperative NDP (minority).

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Not wrong, though. Like it or not he's the Premier-elect.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Kraftwerk posted:

Let me be honest. With the exception of Andrea and maybe a few others the NDP lacked experienced candidates who could run a government. A lot of people felt like they’d be completely useless.

Seriously I look at some NDP candidates and think the only thing they’d do in legislature is collect a 120k salary.

All the talent joined the liberals or PCs because those were the only parties with realistic chances of being elected for the last 20 or so years.

Maybe a lot of liberals will join the NDP and fatten their ranks with experienced candidates for the next election.

Alternatively maybe the liberals will get some fresh blood running for office and stage a comeback.

yeah let's face it ndp got it's slate of 905 candidates back in oct when they thought they have no chance and they did NOT vet them at all

Kale
May 14, 2010

infernal machines posted:

As someone who has been familiar with the Fords and their history in office for more than eight years, you are an absolute goddamn moron.

Is this USPol or is all of D&D just done in this style?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I've been working with GE Healthcare and a few weeks ago there was a company wide conference call. One of the VPs was talking about the election and you could hear the utter disdain and disgust when he said it's looking like a Conservative majority, lol

Dukemont
Aug 17, 2005
chocolate microscopes

Kale posted:

:byewhore:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Kale posted:

You forgot the D&D part where after another few days of heated name calling, retorts and counter-retorts, everyone does a ceasefire to compare their anti-depressants prescriptions before resuming hostilities/Premier Doug Ford.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The NDP running people who jumped ship from the libs isn't going to loving convince people to vote NDP.

Better off grabbing people from unions, solidarity milieus and all that poo poo that might not necessarily be the best but is still probably a better signal than the same crop of lawyers who already ruined the province to line the pockets of their bay street buddies.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I worked at a polling place in Kitchener Centre today. gently caress those printers, they suck. Also, I really want to get some legal weed now because gently caress this stupid rear end province.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Did that #MeToo girl who got Patrick Brown kicked out make any statement yet on how she feels about personally delivering us a Doug Ford majority?

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Did that #MeToo girl who got Patrick Brown kicked out make any statement yet on how she feels about personally delivering us a Doug Ford majority?

believe the victim.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Typo posted:

yeah let's face it ndp got it's slate of 905 candidates back in oct when they thought they have no chance and they did NOT vet them at all

Unlike the well vetted PC candidates?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

“Ontario is open for business”

As if Toronto isn’t like one of the most major cities in North America

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

“Ontario is open for business”

As if Toronto isn’t like one of the most major cities in North America

Public property fire sale. Everything must go.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

If you mean the woman who was posting the anonymous tweets about Brown she’s probably happy. She’s mentioned a few times that she’s worked with Kellie Leitch and is a big fan of hers.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I believe that if Jason Kenney and the PAQ win as expected and Scheer is our next Prime Minister the Conservatives control enough of Canada to amend the constitution with no opposition

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Lol seriously?? Kathleen Wynne with her "I'm gonna step down to help out the party 5 days before the election" did much more damage than that.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

flakeloaf posted:

Not wrong, though. Like it or not he's the Premier-elect.

Yes and you should definitely respect Doug Ford for all of the great things he has done like

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
There's no point in the NDP going high because media is going to pretend the party goes low at the slightest thing.

Dukemont
Aug 17, 2005
chocolate microscopes
we desperately need PR

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.
I just got home from working on one of the election broadcasts and I'm not nearly as upset about Ford winning as I thought I would be. I think our province is facing some serious economic headwinds and I can't wait to see Doug try to wrap his shallow slogans around real, actual problems.
Though I will predict he's will remain very Trumpish with his approach to media and keep doing his own YouTube poo poo / Ontario Proud direct messaging which will insulate him from actual criticism and scrutiny.

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

Dukemont posted:

we desperately need PR

Missed the boat for MMP in 2007, but yes FPTP is loving idiotic and has no place at any level of a modern democracy

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Like, NatPo would call Horwath a sore loser if she wasn't curtsying at the right angle anyway.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

dev286 posted:

I just got home from working on one of the election broadcasts and I'm not nearly as upset about Ford winning as I thought I would be. I think our province is facing some serious economic headwinds and I can't wait to see Doug try to wrap his shallow slogans around real, actual problems.
Though I will predict he's will remain very Trumpish with his approach to media and keep doing his own YouTube poo poo / Ontario Proud direct messaging which will insulate him from actual criticism and scrutiny.

Exactly, he isn't going to face any personal hardship being premier. And no matter what happens his legacy is his boisterous family ego-cult. He and his brother have pulled a fast one on Ontario/Toronto and we're probably going to be worse off for it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Brooks Cracktackle posted:

Missed the boat for MMP in 2007, but yes FPTP is loving idiotic and has no place at any level of a modern democracy

Of course to amend the electoral process you have to first win an election, and any election you win must already be working perfectly.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

eXXon posted:

Yes and you should definitely respect Doug Ford for all of the great things he has done like

For a party leader to encourage people to heckle the guy who beat her is kinda lovely

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kale posted:

lol

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

Toalpaz posted:

Exactly, he isn't going to face any personal hardship being premier. And no matter what happens his legacy is his boisterous family ego-cult. He and his brother have pulled a fast one on Ontario/Toronto and we're probably going to be worse off for it.

It seems he perfected the skill of repeating lies until everyone gets tired of fighting it and just accepts them as the new truth. It's baffling. But I have been working on TV news for over a decade and Doug is the most impenetrable interviewee I have seen. Just stare ahead and repeat the lie. It really is that simple. Don't get fancy, don't talk yourself into a corner. "I saved Toronto a billion dollars". Works great!
However... The caucus itself may demand more depth but as long as they stay in power the end justifies the means, right?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

dev286 posted:

It seems he perfected the skill of repeating lies until everyone gets tired of fighting it and just accepts them as the new truth. It's baffling. But I have been working on TV news for over a decade and Doug is the most impenetrable interviewee I have seen. Just stare ahead and repeat the lie. It really is that simple. Don't get fancy, don't talk yourself into a corner. "I saved Toronto a billion dollars". Works great!
However... The caucus itself may demand more depth but as long as they stay in power the end justifies the means, right?

What if you tell him, to his face, that he's lying? "No, you're lying, here's the data. No, you're lying. Lying again. No."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

flakeloaf posted:

For a party leader to encourage people to heckle the guy who beat her is kinda lovely

I would've hoped the 2016 US election would've taught us all what :decorum: is worth.