Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

rocketrobot posted:

I had king crabs coming out of my nose at the end of my first playthrough.

Is there a good way to see what mechs are most likely to roll in what part of the map? I never saw a non-story King Crab in my first playthrough, and I hosed around for a while until I had something like 4 Highlanders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ulmont posted:

Is there a good way to see what mechs are most likely to roll in what part of the map? I never saw a non-story King Crab in my first playthrough, and I hosed around for a while until I had something like 4 Highlanders.

Its all the same per vanilla. The only thing that changes via location is what you can find in shops, mech spawns in missions have the same weight everywhere.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just prioritize any mission referring to old mechwarriors

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

ulmont posted:

Not to my knowledge. But this happened to me on my first playthrough. I did not have an assault mech of my own at the time.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

ulmont posted:

I just constantly reload a save prior to a mission until I encounter the mechs I want. I finally have a Catapult C1 by reloading the same pirate-extermination mission several times.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

And Tyler Too! posted:

I just constantly reload a save prior to a mission until I encounter the mechs I want. I finally have a Catapult C1 by reloading the same pirate-extermination mission several times.

I guess everyone has different ideas of what is fun.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yet so many people are rushing to mod forcing themselves having to grind more missions and wait longer on their salvage and calling it fun.

By comparison, reloading a mission until a mech you want spawns is probably a trip to Disney Land.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 7, 2018

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Whatever RNG that determines mechs is interesting, i've never seen a Cataphract for example.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

On the subject of thing appearing on different parts of the maps: I'd kill to know if heat banks are more likely to appear anywhere in particular. I have only come across one as salvage after around a hundred missions.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Victoria is scum, though. They both bug me.
Victoria > Kamea.

Lusting after Victoria's Crabs.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

To be clear, there's nothing wrong with having a game that's a story about the player being swept up in a story without much agency in the matter (all the shadowrun games do this and are great), you just can't do it with gameplay that tells the player they are the master of their fate.

Another example; Morrowind and Skyrim have stories that work well because they're all about the player becoming a psuedo-god and the world reacts to that, Oblivion had a big problem because the player has to watch the game decide that the story was really all about Sean Bean.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Are there any mods yet to add more mech variants, like Banshee-S and the catapult that has more actual missile hardpoints so i can use it for the thing i want a catapult for?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Flipswitch posted:

Victoria > Kamea.

Lusting after Victoria's Crabs.

Meh, chicks who use chemical weapons on cities kinda are a turn off. That and she's arrogant to the point of being useless, like when she got her mech blown up during the Destroy the Dropship mission

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 7, 2018

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Super 3 posted:

Whatever RNG that determines mechs is interesting, i've never seen a Cataphract for example.

My playthrough had only 1 cataphract, 1 stalker and 1000 thunderbolts. Oh, it's a heavy mech blip on the radar, I wonder what that is? It's a thunderbolt. It's always a thunderbolt.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

imweasel09 posted:

Are there any mods yet to add more mech variants, like Banshee-S and the catapult that has more actual missile hardpoints so i can use it for the thing i want a catapult for?

Absolutely- JK's variants is one with both the Banshee-3S and other catapults with more missiles:
https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/18

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I have salvaged enough Thunderbolts and Orions to build a 3rd Argo. So yeah, I'm going to savescum until I get <mech> to spawn.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Alchenar posted:

To be clear, there's nothing wrong with having a game that's a story about the player being swept up in a story without much agency in the matter (all the shadowrun games do this and are great), you just can't do it with gameplay that tells the player they are the master of their fate.

Another example; Morrowind and Skyrim have stories that work well because they're all about the player becoming a psuedo-god and the world reacts to that, Oblivion had a big problem because the player has to watch the game decide that the story was really all about Sean Bean.

No, this is weird. It has nothing to do with gameplay or whatever. If you don't like the story that's fine, but I think you should take ownership of your bloodymindedness.

Similarly additional complaints others have made seem to relate more to Battletech legacy systems than HBS' design.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

ulmont posted:

Luckily people also don't bring 2 full lances to your 1.

If you want to get similarly rolled try stock vs customs

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

ulmont posted:

I think it’s also determined by what faction you’re facing. Like the first time I fought the Capellans I had a cataphract right off the bat, and lore wise they were common to that faction.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

And Tyler Too! posted:

I have salvaged enough Thunderbolts and Orions to build a 3rd Argo. So yeah, I'm going to savescum until I get <mech> to spawn.

A simple tweak is just opening up all the mech variants to do a find and replace on the rarity factor, then you'll see all of them equally. Cataphracts specifically are much more rare than Thunderbolts are.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I just want them to redo both Crescent Hawk games to not be obviously rushed poo poo. The first one is 2 decent hours of gameplay mostly front loaded then wandering around fighting the same 4 mechs until an endgame that makes Xen from Half Life look like a masterpiece.

The second gives you tons of robits. But it's an rts. Even worse it's one when Ega was standard graphics so it's got an AI that is even worse than Red Alert or Warcraft 2.

Yeah use this game and remake those things. poo poo, just make a big built in mod tool and let the community do the work for you. I'd drop another 20 bucks for a good and easy set of built in tools designed for non coders. Just throw in a little tutorial content and let the BT sperg fan base do the rest. (Tutorial built in is a must. Unlike RPG Maker titles which don't even bother, not even on the 3ds title.)

Course I wanted the Wasteland 2 engine used to remake Dragon Wars which seems like a no brainer and it didn't happen either.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

A simple tweak is just opening up all the mech variants to do a find and replace on the rarity factor, then you'll see all of them equally. Cataphracts specifically are much more rare than Thunderbolts are.

I keep forgetting .json fuckery extends to just about everything. Time to do some editing.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Gwaihir posted:

Absolutely- JK's variants is one with both the Banshee-3S and other catapults with more missiles:
https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/18

Thanks, this owns.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Is there a master list of suggested mods?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'd suggest the morale/punching out mod, extra variants,
and these:
https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/135
https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/144
https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/90
https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/173

This one's pretty OK too:
https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/13
Alternately just manually pump up the SL energy weapon stats on your own/do minor weapon balances to your liking.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

This is the best mod ever made. Thank you.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

armchairyoda posted:

This is the best mod ever made. Thank you.

uh, yeah. Holy poo poo my QoL.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Super 3 posted:

I saw three during the entire campaign. The second I salvaged one I put it in the first slot to serve as a mascot.

Still haven't seen an Urbie.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Urbies don't spawn. You can only buy them iirc.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I had some kind of fever dream where there were dozens of steam cheevos involving the Urbie. I think I must have read some comments or satire sites about Urbanmech achievements, possibly in this very thread. It was real to me to the point where I assembled an Urbanmech, fitted it out with an AC/20, put it in my end-game squad, and was then disappointed that I didn't get the "Kill an Assault with an Urbie AC/20 cockpit shot" achievement. I was looking forward to trying the rest of them next.

- Dodge an alpha strike targeting your urbanmech with full evasion pips
- Destroy an enemy mech with an urbanmech melee attack
- Bring an urbanmech with maximum armor fitted on all slots to battle
- etc

We'll have to see what the DLC brings, and I'll have to stop playing this game so it doesn't inhabit my subconscious thoughts.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm a big fan of Exclusive Filters. It makes sorting weapons and equipment far more intuitive.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Can't link from my phone, but a Battletech dev has just resigned after admitting that the allegations of sexual harassment against him were completely true.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Jesus it was Tyler Carpenter, who seemed like a genuinely nice person and did the DMing for Death from Above. That's hosed up. I guess the old "you know that person you like? they're a creep" still holds true.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jedit posted:

Can't link from my phone, but a Battletech dev has just resigned after admitting that the allegations of sexual harassment against him were completely true.

Well gently caress :(

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Not surprised considering that the faction you work for was originally called the arano erection

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Not surprised considering that the faction you work for was originally called the arano erection
lmao, I feel bad laughing at that

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Wow first a pronoun option and now firing a guy who harassed and groped multiple women, looks like the sjws are at it again folks alexa post to twitter

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Maybe he'll team up with the sound designer from Subnautica

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

rt4 posted:

Maybe he'll team up with the sound designer from Subnautica
What did he do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Control Volume posted:

Wow first a pronoun option and now firing a guy who harassed and groped multiple women, looks like the sjws are at it again folks alexa post to twitter

He actually resigned it looks like.