Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

I love how this has been the top story for days in Queensland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

rather a xeno than a downer

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Saw one in South Australia, no poo poo. Those billboards are country wide

not in the ACT, fuckos :cool:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

simmyb posted:

Whoever made this might projecting a lil too hard with the crybaby comment?

I picture tears streaming down the face of any right-wing meme maker. The projection is strong.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

BBJoey posted:

not in the ACT, fuckos :cool:

We're talking states here mate-o, bugger off with your territories.

Palmy army states rights yeeeeew

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

We're talking states here mate-o, bugger off with your territories.

Palmy army states rights yeeeeew

i like being in a territory actually. states suck, i love having fewer senators and having our progressive legislation overruled by the feds. i’m not mad, i’m not mad, i’m laughing actually

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

SA Minister denies discussing an idea to allow potential foster carers to inspect children

South Australian Child Protection Minister, Rachel Sanderson, has "categorically rejected" that she ever discussed with her department the possibility of allowing potential foster carers to inspect children in state care before selecting one to take home.

Earlier this afternoon, in Question Time, Ms Sanderson left open the possibility that she had, saying: "I won't be discussing private discussions I have with my department or anyone about ideas."

In a sustained line of questioning, Opposition child protection spokeswoman Jayne Stinson asked whether the Minister had considered the policy idea and whether she had received any advice from her department about the impact of such a policy.

"That is not our policy and I won't be discussing private discussions I have with my department or anyone about ideas; that needs to be in a safe environment," Ms Sanderson said.

Later, Ms Sanderson said she was "appalled it would even be suggested that this would be raised" and it was "certainly not a Liberal policy".

"I categorically reject the claims that were made by the Labor Party today," she said.

"I think that would be completely inappropriate for strangers off the street to be going into residential care facilities to select a child."

Asked why she did not rule it out immediately in Parliament, Ms Sanderson said she was "not used to having people throw lies at me and having to respond".

"I'm shocked at the depths this Labor government [sic] would go to," she said.

The Minister had earlier denied asking her department to consider open days at residential care facilities, saying it would be "completely inappropriate".
Labor says sources prompted questions about minister

Outside Parliament, Ms Stinson said sources from within the child protection system had prompted her questions.

"Sources have come to me and raised with me their concerns that the Minister has been floating plans to have open days, and that those open days would have members of the public coming in and being able to inspect and choose a child to be able to take home," the Labor MP said.

"Those conversations shouldn't be private.

"If she has a plan to turn residential care facilities into something like an animal shelter, then she should tell the public about that and there should be a public debate about it."

The Minister used Question Time to attack Labor over its child protection record, which saw record numbers of children in residential care facilities.

Ms Sanderson said the former Labor government had disrespected foster carers.

"They were treated as babysitters," she said.

"They weren't given adequate information. They weren't given Medicare numbers.

"They weren't given their blue books to know of their vaccinations or their health.

"They weren't even told of the circumstances where children had come into care."

Ms Sanderson has come under sustained attack from the Opposition in recent weeks, including over her decision to attend a golf day during work hours early in her role as a minister.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-07/sa-minister-rejects-foster-carer-inspection/9846732?sf191266936=1

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

BBJoey posted:

i like being in a territory actually. states suck, i love having fewer senators and having our progressive legislation overruled by the feds. i’m not mad, i’m not mad, i’m laughing actually

*20 minutes later*

"Hey who left this corn cob on the floor?"

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Holy poo poo.

What a horrible piece of potential legislation, even if it was just a thought bubble someone should've shat on that straight away

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Holy poo poo.

What a horrible piece of potential legislation, even if it was just a thought bubble someone should've shat on that straight away

It's an idea right of of the same pages of Victorian era history as work houses, and rotten boroughs.

Which means it's basically a core Tory policy.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Holy poo poo.

it's disgusting. given the recent royal commission and everything that's come to light, you'd probably want to make it HARDER for predators to identify and groom potential victims, not easier.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

The Before Times posted:

e: also that ANU business is hilarious. don't the alt right realise that pretty much every degree offered by any australian uni is going to be centred on western civilisation?

Half of them are too dumb / uninformed to realize that it’s meant to be racist. Hence Beazley being involved. Tbh I think the final product would be corrupted by academia and become just a way for researchers to write bullshit proposals (like adding the word western to research into liberal institutions) then write what they want anyway and get a heap of money. Every once in a while a racist op ed would come out from a director,
but considering that they wouldn’t probably be looking to do any policy changes, it wouldn’t matter.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Anidav posted:

I love how this has been the top story for days in Queensland
they're loving it overseas too

we are the circus

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-08/five-year-old-boy-dies-after-being-stabbed-in-domestic-dispute/9848272

5 year old child is killed in a domestic violence situation.

Let's see the inaction from the Federal Government, maybe more money ripped out of services that can help these situations from not happening in the first place.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

You Am I posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-08/five-year-old-boy-dies-after-being-stabbed-in-domestic-dispute/9848272

Let's see the inaction from the Federal Government, maybe more money ripped out of services that can help these situations from not happening in the first place.

What about violence against men?

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

JBP posted:

Only counts if Anglo, Straight and middle class or above. Otherwise gently caress em.

Edit: also over 40 and located inside a strongly held LNP seat.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

it's good

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

JBP posted:

I'm told NSW won game one

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

You Am I posted:

Mate they got their white ribbon accreditation. Nothing more can be done.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

JBP posted:

I'm for it, personally.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm for it, personally.

:same:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-07/alan-jones,-tony-abbott-launch-kevin-donnelly-anti-pc-book/9843824

quote:

At the Sofitel hotel in Sydney this week some of Australia's best-known conservatives gathered to talk about political correctness.
Specifically, how they felt it was destroying Australia.
Broadcaster Alan Jones described it as a crisis. Former prime minister Tony Abbott said people should not be cowed into silence by the "outrage industry".
And both agreed that there was a "march of the left through our institutions".
The gathering was for the official launch of a new book by education expert and commentator Kevin Donnelly, titled: How Political Correctness Is Destroying Australia — Enemies Within and Without.
The book explores what Dr Donnelly calls the rise in political correctness, and it examines same-sex marriage, what it means to be Australian, and the way universities and schools are being influenced by left-leaning thinkers.

Mr Donnelly's book is a collection of more than 60 talking points, with titles including:
  • Thought police screening schoolbooks
  • Culture wars: the left's university loonies
  • How the PC left is rewriting history
  • We must never forget the good work of Christianity
  • We need to teach our kids that West is best
  • Criticising safe schools does not make you homophobic
  • All sides deserve a voice in same-sex marriage debate
  • The glaring problems with same-sex marriage
  • Nothing safe in ignoring basics in education
Dr Donnelly denied the book was simply a collection of things he didn't like.

NSW passed the law banning people from harassing women within a hundred and fifty metres of clinics last night. Also trans people will no longer need to get a divorce to be recognised on their birth certificate

bandaid.friend fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jun 8, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Lmao

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

quote:

Thought police screening schoolbooks

quote:

Criticising safe schools
:thunk:

quote:

How the PC left is rewriting history

quote:

We need to teach our kids that West is best
:thunk:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

worth pointing out that while donnelly is decrying leftist infiltration of universities he’s a tenured professor at the australian catholic university

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There's not an ironicat big enough for "outrage culture".

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

BBJoey posted:

worth pointing out that while donnelly is decrying leftist infiltration of universities he’s a tenured professor at the australian catholic university

How are these even a thing.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There's not an ironicat big enough for "outrage culture".

Yeah, Alan Jones IS the outrage industry and has built his entire career around it.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

So I'm reading this book about a few Brits exploring Australia around 1850 and they come across a burnt eucalyptus tree.

Their guide comments that the natives have a nasty habit of setting these trees on fire and due to the careless aborigines the eucalyptus will soon go extinct.

How did that work out?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

So I'm reading this book about a few Brits exploring Australia around 1850 and they come across a burnt eucalyptus tree.

Their guide comments that the natives have a nasty habit of setting these trees on fire and due to the careless aborigines the eucalyptus will soon go extinct.

How did that work out?

well actually i think eucalyptus trees propagate by fire so yeah

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Beetphyxious posted:

well actually i think eucalyptus trees propagate fire so yeah

Fixed that for you. Easy mistake to make.

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

Zenithe posted:

This is just ING for (bigger) hipsters right?

Looks like number26 but for australians

e: which also wasn't a licensed bank when it started but they at least are legit now
e2: actually looking at this xinja website and they seem like fuckwits anyway

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

finally! a 'neobank' that only exists online with a Chinese name to put my money in

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
there was a second seat poll in Mayo with downer being obliterated, i know its a seat poll and unreliable but one can dream

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Mad Katter posted:

Yeah, Alan Jones IS the outrage industry and has built his entire career around it.

Never forget the cash for comment, exactly the same model as your Alex Jones of today. Get stupid people angry and they'll buy whatever you're selling (besides toxic politics).

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

BBJoey posted:

hahaha yesss ACU which is currently noted for being the university which is losing accreditation for it's clinical psychology degrees, so :whoops: if you picked to do Clinical Psychology at ACU because you will soon be poo poo out of luck

The faculty are jumping ship so fast that it's difficult for them to get it reaccredited

e: tried to check it out on their page and looks like the pages have been disappeared, lol

Recoome fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 9, 2018

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

quote:

We need to teach our kids that West is best

I would have thought Kanye was mediocre in general and certainly not good with money.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

How did that work out?

Beetphyxious posted:

well actually i think eucalyptus trees propagate by fire so yeah

It's this. The gumnuts are so sturdy they have to burnt open. It's all bushfires and evolutionary advantages but basically it means in Australia even the trees want to kill you.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Recoome posted:

hahaha yesss ACU which is currently noted for being the university which is losing accreditation for it's clinical psychology degrees,

um what the gently caress did they do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Recoome posted:

hahaha yesss ACU which is currently noted for being the university which is losing accreditation for it's clinical psychology degrees, so :whoops: if you picked to do Clinical Psychology at ACU because you will soon be poo poo out of luck

The faculty are jumping ship so fast that it's difficult for them to get it reaccredited

e: tried to check it out on their page and looks like the pages have been disappeared, lol

I did a unit of psychology at ACU in my first year, intending for it to be my minor. I never did another unit of it after.