Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol are phones still shipping without secure boot or is that because someone rooted it?

nexus and pixel phones let the user enable/disable secure boot. when you go to disable it, it nukes the data partition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

good news! the worst-selling phone of the last year is getting compatibility with the world's least necessary audio format through the streaming service that's about to go out of business

quote:

Essential Products, founded by Android co-founder Andy Rubin, has partnered with MQA to deliver MQA studio quality sound to the Essential Phone. This boost to the handset’s audio capabilities comes as part of Essential’s commitment to deliver new software features and updates to its community. Essential customers will be able to stream MQA music via global music and entertainment platform, TIDAL, by downloading the Android app from Google Play. TIDAL is constantly adding more master-quality music, allowing fans to hear the sound of the original recording.

Mike Jbara, MQA’s CEO stated, “This partnership sees MQA working with a truly innovative tech team. Our goal is to deliver the best audio quality to as many music fans as possible, and this collaboration with Essential represents a further step towards this ambition.”

TIDAL Chief Operating Officer Lior Tibon said, “TIDAL is proud to partner with a company that values superior sound quality. We strive to provide fans with elevated listening experiences, and our partnership with Essential illustrates how we’re committed to this mission.”

Per IFPI’s recent Music Consumer Insight Report “Connecting With Music”, 90% of paid audio streamers use a smartphone for music listening.

[MQA] About MQA
Using pioneering scientific research into how people hear, the MQA team has created a technology that captures the sound of the original studio performance. The master MQA file is fully authenticated and is small enough to stream, while also being backward compatible, so you can play MQA music on any device. MQA’s award-winning technology is licensed by labels, music services and hardware manufacturers worldwide and is certified by the RIAA. MQA is a UK-based private company.
mqa is a "high res" lossy compressed format with drm that sounds literally the same as normal audio and is sold mostly to a market of people who can't even hear over 12khz anymore anyway

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
uhhhhhh didn't essential phone already say there wasn't going to be another one

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
it’s not a phone though, it’s a lifestyle

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'm sure bullnumbers will love this update to his backup phone

not to be confused with his burner phone

bull3964 posted:

Geeze, even the burner Moto Z Play I have is much more current.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

President Beep posted:

it’s not a phone though, it’s a lifestyle

just like living in a dumpster!!!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
*homer simpson voice* hehehe. just like oscar the grouch.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

it would be neat if google continued insourcing bits of pixel development to make an actual nice Android, but I'm not convinced they won't shitcan the entire thing 2 years from now when they get distracted by another shiny object

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
My pixel 1 reboots 3 times a day for no reason after the latest update. Thats up from 1 time a day previously. I'm replacing this piece of poo poo with whatever the best iPhone is in a few months. I have spent way too long suffering from the effects of DYP brain worms I got when picking my first smart phone in college.

Best pixel feature? After a reboot your alarms aren't active until you open the app that set them. If your phone reboots in the middle of the night then gently caress you.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

jit bull transpile posted:

My pixel 1 reboots 3 times a day for no reason after the latest update. Thats up from 1 time a day previously. I'm replacing this piece of poo poo with whatever the best iPhone is in a few months. I have spent way too long suffering from the effects of DYP brain worms I got when picking my first smart phone in college.

Best pixel feature? After a reboot your alarms aren't active until you open the app that set them. If your phone reboots in the middle of the night then gently caress you.

anroid lol!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

its a bummer there aren't any good phones now that winphone is dead.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dsyp OMG lmbo

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

My Pixel has none of these problems, have you dropped yours in a toilet or something?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anroid.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

James Baud posted:

My Pixel has none of these problems, have you dropped yours in a toilet or something?

I'm on my third rma. All the googling I've done shows it seems to be random. Some devices will be fine and some will just randomly get hosed by an update.

I'm actually super careful with my phone and it is always either in my purse or flat on a table. I barely have anything installed either. None of the usual custom launchers or whatever that dypers gently caress their phones with

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

anbdroid is bad

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my pixel is ok. it has rebooted on me before though. maybe once or twice.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

OldAlias posted:

anbdroid is bad

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Shaggar posted:

its a bummer there aren't any good phones now that winphone is dead.

soooo much better than android. so, so much better.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

PokeJoe posted:

my pixel is ok. it has rebooted on me before though. maybe once or twice.

OldAlias posted:

anbdroid is bad

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

for reference none of any of my iPhones have ever rebooted unless I specifically requested it

which I haven’t except for updates because why would you?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Flagship designs from Google like the Pixel or the old Nexus are an important indicator. They're saying: "We, the assholes who literally made the OS and all the software, swung a big enough dick to get the handset manufacturers to do exactly what we wanted on this device and even then we were unable to make a usable device using Android. Please buy iOS."

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

I'm on my third rma. All the googling I've done shows it seems to be random. Some devices will be fine and some will just randomly get hosed by an update.

I'm actually super careful with my phone and it is always either in my purse or flat on a table. I barely have anything installed either. None of the usual custom launchers or whatever that dypers gently caress their phones with

How does someone go through all this and not get an iPhone?

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

Flagship designs from Google like the Pixel or the old Nexus are an important indicator. They're saying: "We, the assholes who literally made the OS and all the software, swung a big enough dick to get the handset manufacturers to do exactly what we wanted on this device and even then we were unable to make a usable device using Android. Please buy iOS."

google is actually exceptionally bad and incompetent at everything it does

my samsung works much better than the pixel and using samsung's flavour of android i have not really had any problems

except ad apps i can't delete lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

sadly im an Android developer for work so I use one for my personal phone

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HoboMan posted:

google is actually exceptionally bad and incompetent at everything it does

my samsung works much better than the pixel and using samsung's flavour of android i have not really had any problems

except ad apps i can't delete lol

google actually bothers to update their phones tho, too

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
awful.apk crashes sometimes when I view a page with a lot of images

it also crashes when the play store updates chome

I blame android

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

eric posted:

How does someone go through all this and not get an iPhone?

I used to have a few android only apps that kept me stuck on the platform but I've been migrating off of them in preparation to gtfo.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I blame android

The chome update probably restarts their webview implementation

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Awful apk also crashes when night mode switches on.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

if you complain the awful.apk devs will def try and fix it. it's one of the actual best parts of the android experience somehow

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

if you complain the awful.apk devs will def try and fix it. it's one of the actual best parts of the android experience somehow

yes, the awful.apk thread is monitored by the devs and they'll respond to feedback there.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
:stoked:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

never settle

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I blame android

you are correct

Awful apk also crashes when night mode switches on.

yeah, that sucks. could you post with a little more information in one of the two threads and we'll try to get that fixed

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

Well, poo poo. I came in to ask for a recommendation for a large, dedicated Android comic and PDF reader, but it looks like the answer is an iPad.

I've got an 8 inch LG tablet, which I like, but it's just kind of a pain to have to enlarge everything all of the time.

I was wanting something around 12 inches, but really didn't want to pay for an iPad Pro, but it looks like the small Android selection at that size is pretty much garbage.

Is the 2017 iPad good for comics and PDFs (game rule books, for the most part)? I really hate to give Apple any money and dread the thought of having to use iTunes again, but I know the hardware is good, and the price is definitely competitive.

i hate to give apple any money even though they make the best thing for what i want to do and this other thing i bought is Literally Garbage

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

i hate to give apple any money even though they make the best thing for what i want to do and this other thing i bought is Literally Garbage

lol what the hell

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
always cool to hear from people who still think itunes is a necessary part of the ios ecosystem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it is if you have music on your computer that you want on your phone