Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Wulfolme posted:

good

loving hell, you act like he murdered somebody

You, uh, remember what he's been accused of, right

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/he-who-not-be-named-can-john-lasseter-ever-return-disney-1105297

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Forget it

Twinty Zuleps fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 9, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A racist Nazi sympathizer?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Wulfolme posted:

well, i hadn’t heard a lot of that.

maybe disney and pixar will be better off. I don’t know, but if people want to remember him like they remember Walt, it won’t be the end of the world

Walt's been dead and burried for fifty years, while Lasseter is still drawing a goddamn paycheck. Memorializing him at this point in time is an insult to every person he hosed over at the company and to women in animation in general.

Did he do some great things? Sure. Why should those be remembered as opposed to the very real harm he caused?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
With assholes like this, what we can't know is all the good and creativity that his misogyny and predatory actions prevented from coming into the world.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

People in the industry are speculating that either he'll be hired by another studio as a consultant, since if they have a struggling animation division they won't care about his allegations.

Or that he'll decide to form his own studio, get rained with VC money, and start poaching his loyalists from Disney.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Wulfolme posted:

maybe disney and pixar will be better off. I don’t know, but if people want to remember him like they remember Walt, it won’t be the end of the world

This was like in direct response to the allegations. I fins it to be a pretty hosed reaction to hear of a guy being a serial harasser of women who made the workplace miserable and to just push out a new story going "well let's looks at the good he did" in response.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Wulfolme posted:

good

loving hell, you act like he murdered somebody

And people like you are why guys like Lasseter and worse got away with sexual harassment, shutting people out, stealing credit, and much more. There is no one who is so talented, so "irreplaceable" that they should be allowed to act like horrible human beings without consequence.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
He didn't murder anyone that's true. All he did was abuse his power to repeatedly sexually harass women to the point that the women around him would either not wear skirts or they would have to cross their legs around him. Oh and he essentially stole Cars wholesale from another person and gave that guy next to no (or zero??) credit for it.

He's still good though cause he didn't murder anyone

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Wulfolme posted:

So look into something before forming an opinion on it you loving moron.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

K. Waste posted:

So look into something before forming an opinion on it you loving moron.

I do not trust someone’s motivations when they get a massive change that is exactly what they wanted but they’re still pissy about it when the news stories just aren’t angry enough.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

You Nimrod.

The reason people are mad is because that exact "Oh he's just awkward" or "Boys will be boys" is WHY the Weinsteins and Cosbys of the world got away with even more heinous crimes, it's downplaying and absolving him of him because 'he's just too friendly' 'too visionary to understand how not to be a loving creep', even giving a weasel word that the women might be blowing it out of proportion.

It's like excusing a murderer because he was just really mad, okay? He didn't mean to stab his wife twenty six times and hack up her body, he just couldn't help it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think it's also exacerbated by the fact that people are just tired of that kind of softball response to this, every single time, SO MANY TIMES. Call the sexual harassers out! Stop using terms like "missteps" and "mistakes" for this poo poo every time

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Macaluso posted:

I think it's also exacerbated by the fact that people are just tired of that kind of softball response to this, every single time, SO MANY TIMES. Call the sexual harassers out! Stop using terms like "missteps" and "mistakes" for this poo poo every time

Exactly! A Mistake is misspelling necessary or making the wrong turn at Albuquerque. In what world can a man somehow mistakenly shove his hand up a woman's skirt, not once, not twice, multiple times.

A misstep is betting on the wrong horse, or saying 'to our queer old dean' instead of 'dear old queen', it's not deliberately undermine a woman's production and then punish her when she doesn't fall in line, or kicking the originator of one of your most well-known movies off the project and reducing his official role to a co-writing credit.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 9, 2018

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Neon Noodle posted:

With assholes like this, what we can't know is all the good and creativity that his misogyny and predatory actions prevented from coming into the world.

I feel like this deserves to be underlined, too. How many masterpieces have never seen the light of day because they were created by a person of color or a woman who didn't step in line?

(Note: even if that number was zero, that still would not make this okay. But I feel like it's worth pointing out that we're missing out on a ton of alternative takes because assholes like that one are in charge)

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Are motherfuckers in this thread actually defending this piece of poo poo? gently caress outta here.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Wulfolme posted:

I do not trust someone’s motivations when they get a massive change that is exactly what they wanted but they’re still pissy about it when the news stories just aren’t angry enough.

There wasn't any "massive change." For all that it's good and proper he's gone, Lasseter is just one person.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Wulfolme posted:

One serial harasser getting a civil canning after decades of behavior isn't "exactly what they wanted," stupid. What people want is a change in sexist ideology and an end to the exact sorts of apologetics you tried to advance before editing out your follow-up post like a coward. Ending an article about Lassetter's firing with his loving resume is incompetent journalism and bad form, period. But your cavalier "you act like he murdered somebody"/"it won’t be the end of the world" bullshit is confirmation of precisely why people are and should be mad. The problem is not a single bad person. The problem is ideology. The problem is you needing to prop up murder and apocalypse as this base value standard of what's worth caring about instead of the straightforward reality of whether abuse exists in any form and whether this is worth being disgusted by.

You loving moron.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Unmature posted:

Are motherfuckers in this thread actually defending this piece of poo poo? gently caress outta here.

Just Wulfome

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Wulfolme posted:

Once again this was a response made by NPR after the allegations and not after any consequences and even if this wasn't the case why would it be ok to report on a story about a guy leaving due to sexual harrasment allegations by doing a story about all the good poo poo he did?

Also what the gently caress is wrong with you?

Like seriously, animation is an industry that constantly actually attempts to caters to women and girls and to make that industry inhospitable for women to actually get in on is inexcusable. I love his work but gently caress John Lassiter

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
just watched your name and i've never been more loving angry with a happy ending in my life

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
like for gently caress's sake

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
i kno rite!!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

glam rock hamhock posted:

Like seriously, animation is an industry that constantly actually attempts to caters to women and girls and to make that industry inhospitable for women to actually get in on is inexcusable. I love his work but gently caress John Lassiter

The fact that a woman, Jennifer Lee, might be taking his place at Disney is delicious irony.

Maybe she'll help get more women into directing roles there.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

this broken hill posted:

just watched your name

why

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe they liked Guadagnino's previous movies?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Are you talking about the anime or the movie with the Italian ephebophiliac?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Renoistic posted:

the movie with the Italian ephebophiliac?

pardon me, the what

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I feel bad because a friend here in town likes it, so L please ignore the rest of this post, while I say, I hated Your Name with every fiber of my being and it is a terrible loarde of shite-o.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Nah Your Name rules

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
My take on Your Name is, and has always been,

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Just finished Scooby Doo v. KISS (or whatever). It's a hell of a trip.

If you live in Santa Clara county, CA you can get it from the library.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
last night i had a craving for melodramatic anime crap and i remembered the thread saying it was good then pick saying it was bad and had an apocalyptic third act, which is usually enough to make me watch something if i'm in the mood (the background art held my attention when i lost interest in the moes)

when the comet hit and there was that big handsome sequence where everything exploded i legit thought it was the end of the movie and i was like "lol, brutal". if it had ended then i would have been satisfied with the experience. but then i saw there were ten minutes left and nooooo

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Your Name is such a good looking movie that it's like going on a vacation.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

Your Name is such a good looking movie that it's like going on a vacation.

You need to have a fun vacation sometime

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i get what he means tbh

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
my emotional engagement was mostly because i'm in a slightly time-distorted relationship with several dead people. the art direction was weird, it was like... both technically excellent and completely unimaginative at the same time? like it was all completely photorealistic and there were no stylistic or artistic flourishes whatsoever. like it was more like watching a frame-by-frame perfect animated reproduction of a pre-existing actual film (with film's artistic limitations) than a cartoon and it was like, knowing the labour intensity of anime, why not just make an actual film?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

Just finished Scooby Doo v. KISS (or whatever). It's a hell of a trip.

If you live in Santa Clara county, CA you can get it from the library.

Is this on Hoopla, or physical copy? I'm seeing the 'Scooby-Doo' Team-Up if that's what it is.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Someone's doing an interesting project showing how the WIR style would have looked on the princesses who were already 3d. it's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost